What is different between publisher and advertiser?

by 32 comments
I am signed up as advertiser but it seems like I
Need to be a publisher...

They are the same.

Can anyone explain the difference?
#ad networks #advertiser #publisher
  • Profile picture of the author Paul_Kuhn
    The advertiser is the one who pays the money to get his advertisments shown.
    The publisher is the one who gets the money for showing the ads.

    Ahoi!
  • Profile picture of the author COPEAC Stephen
    An advertiser owns or controls the actual product or service that is being advertised....the publisher is the one that is advertising the actual product or service and driving the consumers to the proper location to fill out the form or make a purchase...
  • Profile picture of the author rowebil
    So I want to display my clickbank affiliate link. I want to display offers.

    What do I sign up as?
    • Profile picture of the author COPEAC Stephen
      Originally Posted by rowebil View Post

      So I want to display my clickbank affiliate link. I want to display offers.

      What do I sign up as?
      In that case, you would sign up as a publisher.
  • Profile picture of the author rowebil
    Does it cost to display ads?
  • Profile picture of the author rowebil
    I don't have an application..
  • Profile picture of the author COPEAC Stephen
    Depends on where you're displaying them...if you have sites you own and operate, you can display text links or banners right on your site, it will only cost you time and energy to set that up, collect data, and monetize...if you don't have any properties you own and operate...you can create videos on you tube and embed your affiliate link into those videos which wont cost you much....

    If you're looking to use PPV, PPC, media buying, yes you're going to have to shell out some money to get placements.
  • Profile picture of the author Kenster
    yep, you are most likely a publisher. The CPA networks, like Copeac, work as intermediaries between the advertiser (like Netflix, eHarmony, any many individual or marketer advertisers) and the publisher (those who are promoting the offer).

    It is confusing for new marketers because they see the word advertiser and know they will be advertising the offer so they think they are advertisers.

    Live and learn right
  • Profile picture of the author social saint
    You will have to sign up as a publisher. Many famous networks will require you to pay a upfront amount to run your campaign. I'm not aware of any famous network that will let you run your offer without high commission or upfront deposit.
  • Profile picture of the author Per Action Rob
    Actually the difference between an advertiser and a publisher is:

    Advertiser - Rich
    Publisher - Hood Rich

    Become an advertiser as soon as possible, publishers are only as good as yesterdays profits.
    • Profile picture of the author MrOfferz
      Originally Posted by Per Action Rob View Post

      Actually the difference between an advertiser and a publisher is:

      Advertiser - Rich
      Publisher - Hood Rich

      Become an advertiser as soon as possible, publishers are only as good as yesterdays profits.
      Haha. This is probably the most clearly it can be put but....

      Advertiser- Owns the product/offer
      Publisher- Promotes the offer
  • Profile picture of the author James Green
    ADVERTISER

    An advertiser, also known as a merchant or retailer, is a Web site or company that sells a product or service online, accepts payments and fulfills orders. Advertisers work with publishers to promote products and services in exchange for a commission on leads or sales through a variety of methods.

    PUBLISHER

    A publisher, also known as an affiliate or reseller is an independent party that promotes products and services of an advertiser in exchange for a commission on leads or sales. A publisher displays ads, text links, or product links on its Web site, in e-mail campaigns, or in search listings and is paid a commission by the respective advertiser when a visitor takes a specific action such as filling out a form, making a purchase or subscribing to a service.


    Advertiser - your sites advertising on other sites so you are advertiser
    Publisher - other sites advertising on your sites so you are publisher...
    • Profile picture of the author Adam Johnson
      Originally Posted by James Green View Post

      ADVERTISER

      An advertiser, also known as a merchant or retailer, is a Web site or company that sells a product or service online, accepts payments and fulfills orders. Advertisers work with publishers to promote products and services in exchange for a commission on leads or sales through a variety of methods.

      PUBLISHER

      A publisher, also known as an affiliate or reseller is an independent party that promotes products and services of an advertiser in exchange for a commission on leads or sales. A publisher displays ads, text links, or product links on its Web site, in e-mail campaigns, or in search listings and is paid a commission by the respective advertiser when a visitor takes a specific action such as filling out a form, making a purchase or subscribing to a service.


      Advertiser - your sites advertising on other sites so you are advertiser
      Publisher - other sites advertising on your sites so you are publisher...
      good post thanks for the info
    • Profile picture of the author Ted Burkholder
      Originally Posted by James Green View Post

      ADVERTISER

      An advertiser, also known as a merchant or retailer, is a Web site or company that sells a product or service online, accepts payments and fulfills orders. Advertisers work with publishers to promote products and services in exchange for a commission on leads or sales through a variety of methods.

      PUBLISHER

      A publisher, also known as an affiliate or reseller is an independent party that promotes products and services of an advertiser in exchange for a commission on leads or sales. A publisher displays ads, text links, or product links on its Web site, in e-mail campaigns, or in search listings and is paid a commission by the respective advertiser when a visitor takes a specific action such as filling out a form, making a purchase or subscribing to a service.


      Advertiser - your sites advertising on other sites so you are advertiser
      Publisher - other sites advertising on your sites so you are publisher...
      There seems to be A LOT of conflicting information in this thread. The way YOU explain it makes it seem like I am the advertiser. The way it is explained in another responses above makes it seem I am the publisher.

      I have a squeeze page (That is mine) with a free report that leads to an affiliate offer from Clickbank. I was looking to get traffic to my squeeze page. So according to other replies, I would be the Publisher. Your explanation makes me think I would be the Advertiser since I would be PAYING TO ADVERTISE on someone else's site for traffic to MY site which promotes an affiliate offer.
  • Profile picture of the author Trevor
    Publisher is the affiliate. It's the person who promotes the advertiser's offer somewhere. So if you are doing CPA marketing as an affiliate, you are the publisher. It's just terminology difference.

    Advertiser is usually a company that signs up for a CPA network and gets traffic from affiliates who are also part of the network.
  • Profile picture of the author shaunD
    r u trolling ?? because u r member of this community since 2011 and has more than 100+ posts... and don't know the difference between Advertiser and Publisher ??
  • Profile picture of the author aaditachaudhary
    one who publishes ad = publisher, one who wants to advertise = advertiser
  • Profile picture of the author roadies9
    publisher is simply the owner of the website who onws and display the ads of other websites on his website and adversite is the one who advertise his website on other website
  • Profile picture of the author InfoBuzz13
    Hi Thanks for useful information. This information has made easy for me to sign up with DPA networks.
  • Profile picture of the author gabrino30
    Hy ! I am new in this and i want to ask .
    If i promote some one else product and i want to open an account to bing (ex) to place textads with product what i promote.what account to open ? Publisher or advertiser ?
    • Profile picture of the author techppc
      Originally Posted by gabrino30 View Post

      Hy ! I am new in this and i want to ask .
      If i promote some one else product and i want to open an account to bing (ex) to place textads with product what i promote.what account to open ? Publisher or advertiser ?
      On Bing you will simply make a account here https://bingads.microsoft.com

      On the cpa network you will make a account as publisher
  • Profile picture of the author TomWest
    A publisher or affiliate is the person or a business that owns the digital asset whether it is a website , mobile site or a mobile app. He or she is a person who gets the paid for publishing or promoting ads on their website or app.
    An advertiser can be any individual, business or any other entity that wants to display ads on on other's website or app. He or she is a person that responsible to pay to the publisher or website owner for displaying ads in their digital asset.
  • Profile picture of the author HayleyS
    A Publisher is an individual or a business who is aiming to earn commissions by placing ads for other companies while using their favourite promotion method.
    An Advertiser is a comp [any which is interested in paying money to a Publisher for every new customer.
    Hope I helped you.
  • Profile picture of the author sonipat
    Thanks dear for your best replies. I want to also know that topic, now from your replies I feel better about that topic . Thanks to all.
  • Profile picture of the author itsweb
    Hope the above link shall clarify all your doubts..

Next Topics on Trending Feed