The Evils of SEO Copywriting

by enjamulahsan Banned 8 replies
There is by all accounts a battle to bash SEO copywriting and all the underhanded it speaks to. I've seen Bob Bly's web journal and I've seen the ezine articles all over proclaiming that SEO copywriting is that same as serving two bosses. That it is devilish and insidious and ought to be canceled now before we are all struck by helping.

Truth be known, I concur with them... to some extent. What individuals are announcing as SEO copywriting is simply catchphrase stuffing. They have no arrangement for incorporating keyphrases in their content, they don't require some serious energy to make sense of which keyphrases work with what pages/sorts of duplicate/messages and they don't do anything more than push them in wherever they may even have a possibility of seeming well and good. THAT is not SEO copywriting.

SEO copywriting does not bring down the business message IF it's done well. Not to boast, but rather I simply had a customer who makes treadmills, ellipticals and so forth set up a page of SEO duplicate that shot his transformation rate up to 312%. Still wanna let me know that SEO duplicate doesn't offer?

Here's my stand: *IF* SEO duplicate is composed the way it ought to be composed, it does its employment with offering and with supporting in rankings.

So where do you stand? Is SEO copywriting insidious?
#copywriting #copywriting #evils #seo
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10847626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author italk
    So how did you conclude SEO copywriting is insidious?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10861721].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
    Originally Posted by enjamulahsan View Post

    There is by all accounts a battle to bash SEO copywriting and all the underhanded it speaks to. I've seen Bob Bly's web journal and I've seen the ezine articles all over proclaiming that SEO copywriting is that same as serving two bosses. That it is devilish and insidious and ought to be canceled now before we are all struck by helping.

    Truth be known, I concur with them... to some extent. What individuals are announcing as SEO copywriting is simply catchphrase stuffing. They have no arrangement for incorporating keyphrases in their content, they don't require some serious energy to make sense of which keyphrases work with what pages/sorts of duplicate/messages and they don't do anything more than push them in wherever they may even have a possibility of seeming well and good. THAT is not SEO copywriting.

    SEO copywriting does not bring down the business message IF it's done well. Not to boast, but rather I simply had a customer who makes treadmills, ellipticals and so forth set up a page of SEO duplicate that shot his transformation rate up to 312%. Still wanna let me know that SEO duplicate doesn't offer?

    Here's my stand: *IF* SEO duplicate is composed the way it ought to be composed, it does its employment with offering and with supporting in rankings.

    So where do you stand? Is SEO copywriting insidious?
    Maybe ALL writing is too. Poetry is the most insidious of all, only exceeded in it's insidiousness by hip hop and country music.

    GordonJ
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10863100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sven300
    Communicating is insidious: we enter into the head of another person with our own ideas. It is a kind of psychic rape.

    Maybe "communicate" should be punished by the prison?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10863402].message }}
    Signature
    I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Thomas Jefferson
  • Profile picture of the author Digitallabz
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10865337].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wiretree
    The Evils of SEO Copywriting is when marketers interpret it to mean keyword stuffing. Yikes. However, I don't see much of these lately on the pages I visit. Many landing pages right now have both SEO keyword friendly headlines that are also creative and unique.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10865788].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sven300
      Originally Posted by wiretree View Post

      The Evils of SEO Copywriting is when marketers interpret it to mean keyword stuffing. Yikes. However, I don't see much of these lately on the pages I visit..
      Keyword stuffing stops working for SEO for years. That's why you see it less.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10866211].message }}
      Signature
      I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Thomas Jefferson
      • Profile picture of the author Diana S
        Originally Posted by Sven300 View Post

        Keyword stuffing stops working for SEO for years. That's why you see it less.
        I will tell you more than that: Not only has keyword stuffing stopped working for SEO, but Google now has algorithms specially designed to combat keyword stuffing. Today, SEO copywriting is about creating strong copy for a positive user experience, ultimately encouraging users to convert. Yes, it still involves keywords, but a good copywriter knows how to integrate them naturally throughout the copy.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11008447].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Princess Balestra
    Is "snake pants" an offerable freedom?

    Prolly it could be slipped in sumplace invitorial.

    I am no SEO savant, but I love how "snake pants" plays on my tongue, an' I wouldn't wanna be alone in my sensoriuma miracliture.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10866578].message }}
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

  • Profile picture of the author SARubin
    SEO writing is not inherently evil. It becomes evil (or stupid?) when people write pages ONLY for search engines, without regard for one obvious fact...Search engines don't buy anything

    It seems many SEO fanatics never ask themselves a simple math question...
    Would you rather have a page 1 listing, with 1000 visitors a day, and a .0% conversion rate? - or - A page 2 listing, with only 100 visitors a day, and a 10% conversion rate?

    (Hint: 10 sales is more than zero )

    So absolutely, spread some keywords throughout your copy, and optimize it so the search engines know how to index it, but always write for your human visitors.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11016737].message }}
    Signature

    SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Advertising and Marketing Aficionado

Trending Topics