Attention.

by GordonJ 43 replies
The one word copy writing formula.

Attention.

You can make a lot of money writing if you can get and hold your reader's attention.

Go ahead, read the 101 books, spend thousands on courses, and waste years of time trying to perfect your copywriting skills. But, if you are a newb.

If you want to grow fast, make money sooner rather than later, if you want to accelerate your success:

Write the word, ATTENTION on a piece of paper and stick it on your screen.

Then, for a week, NOTE what gets your attention.

What holds it through to a transaction?

Every book on copywriting, every course, every guru formula is all about getting and holding attention through an action you planned on.

So, in order to gain attention, you need to know;

WHERE? Where exactly will you be making your attempt to influence?
WHEN? At what time, what day, what hour?

The first thing you do as a copywriter is to match your product to a target.

There is a person out there who will buy what you have, your job is to find that person. You know (from your studies of behavior, psychology and copywriting courses) this person needs to be INTERRUPTED

with an important message. An alert. Yesterday my phone went off at 5:50 AM with a tornado warning, and sirens began blasting throughout my city.

That grabbed my immediate attention, and I took action.

Your copy should have a similar impact on your reader.

GET ATTENTION. Hold their attention. The second you lose their attention, is the second you lose the sale. WRITE with the thought that every word, every sentence you put down has to serve this one purpose...

to KEEP their attention. And HOW do you do that?

Wake em out of a sound sleep with a life threatening ALERT. (Metaphor)

My phone gave me an UNTIL time, 6:30 AM then the danger will have passed. The danger your target faces is; loss.

NOW begin to apply the one word writing formula to your copy, and see some instant results.

GordonJ
#copywriting #attention
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
    WARNING

    Has been a good headline starter for me.

    Do it to re-set the buying criteria when speaking
    to a buyer in the market who hasn't decided who to buy from.

    WARNING: Don't Buy [x]

    What, don't buy...huh?

    Is the total opposite to everyone essentially saying "buy my stuff"

    Continue's to hold attention.

    WARNING: Don't Buy [x] Until You Get Answers To These 5 Questions

    Now we are directing where we want attention to go.

    This fits nicely nicely with a buyer's decision-making process.

    They seek out options, therefore this sets up you, the advertiser,
    as the most helpful because you are bringing to their attention
    things they may not have considered, the cost and implications
    of getting the decision wrong.

    Anyway, this is beyond the subject of ATTENTION.
    Another attention device I've used to great effect
    was a blown up image of a dust mite crawling over a postcard.

    Creepy-crawlies guarantee attention with women!

    It would be interesting to hear what others use to grab attention.

    Best,
    Ewen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11027811].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Nice post. : ) However attention alone is not enough.- You have to "convert" that attention. (As the AIDA formula goes: "Attention, Interest, Desire, Action.")

    Jonathan
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11027835].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
      Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

      Nice post. : ) However attention alone is not enough.- You have to "convert" that attention. (As the AIDA formula goes: "Attention, Interest, Desire, Action.")

      Jonathan
      I stated:

      You can make a lot of money writing if can get and hold your reader's attention.

      There is no clear cut demarcation between these ideas. If you can't hold their attention you never get to IDA.

      I chose this definition of Attention from Dictionary.com :
      a concentration of the mind on a single object or thought, especially one preferentially selected from a complex, with a view to limiting or clarifying receptivity by narrowing the range of stimuli.

      Because it is the most accurate of what a copywriter needs to do.

      My premise is/was. You lose the prospect the second you lose their attention. IF you use formulas or checklists then by all means cover your bases and check off your transition points, which eye tracking and heat map studies have shown to be exit ramps on the attentionOmeter.

      NO, you don't need to convert it to any of those things, Desire oft comes with the problem, same with Interest...if you don't have these in whatever attention getting device you are using, you weaken your promotion OR you haven't chosen your target very well.

      GordonJ
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11027984].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
        Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

        NO, you don't need to convert it to any of those things, Desire oft comes with the problem, same with Interest...if you don't have these in whatever attention getting device you are using, you weaken your promotion OR you haven't chosen your target very well.

        GordonJ
        Sorry. However, you're wrong. I'm not saying that capturing People's attention isn't good. In fact it's a great thing. (And thanks for sharing it with us.) However in the grand scale of things it's only one component to successful Copywriting.

        Jonathan
        Signature
        "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11027997].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
          Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

          Sorry. However, you're wrong. I'm not saying that capturing People's attention isn't good. In fact it's a great thing. (And thanks for sharing it with us.) However in the grand scale of things it's only one component to successful Copywriting.

          Jonathan
          In the grand scale of things, the only component I'm interested in: RESULTS.

          Numbers tell the story, lose attention, lose sales. Nothing wrong about that, but I get why these formulas are parroted so often, and in many cases these layers of components are simply there for the guys selling the tools to the miners.

          GordonJ
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028044].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
            Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

            In the grand scale of things, the only component I'm interested in: RESULTS.
            Then you're going to have to do more than keep your Market's/Reader's attention.

            Numbers tell the story, lose attention, lose sales.
            Absolutely. I agree with that to a point. However unless you convert that attention then all the interest in the World isn't going to matter.
            Signature
            "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028050].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
              Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

              Then you're going to have to do more than keep your Market's/Reader's attention.
              Absolutely. I agree with that to a point. However unless you convert that attention then all the interest in the World isn't going to matter.
              You made your point. You have a belief about some sort of a conversion thingy, and if you truly believe "all the interest in the World" isn't going to matter, what can I say?

              Other than, I'll take an interested person in my subject matter every day of the week over someone who reads a random ad. On the one hand you say to convert attention to interest, then churn into desire then action.

              A target interested brings desire with them, and the best calls to action are worthless if you have lost their attention by the time you get around to your so-called conversion.

              GordonJ
              Signature

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028091].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
                Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

                You made your point. You have a belief about some sort of a conversion thingy.
                (Lol.) It's a solid aspect of Copywriting: After you have your Prospect's/Audience's attention, you have to convert them into Buyers. I'm sorry if you don't realize or appreciate that, however it's a fact.

                That said, I actually really like your comment about appealing to an interesting Reader rather than someone reading an Ad.
                Signature
                "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028095].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
                  Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

                  (Lol.) It's a solid aspect of Copywriting: After you have your Prospect's/Audience's attention, you have to convert them into Buyers. I'm sorry if you don't realize or appreciate that, however it's a fact.

                  That said, I actually really like your comment about appealing to an interesting Reader rather than someone reading an Ad.
                  Gary Halbert said he only wanted one thing if he were to build a hamburger stand and that would be a starving crowd..

                  His sentiment has been echoed for decades by every guru who teaches copywriting.

                  The starving guy only needs to know you have his burger ready.

                  Some of you guys like to build your hamburger stand in a Vegan community and therefore have to resort to selling. Give me the market/person/problem/ INTEREST first...

                  then there is no need for so-called CONVERSION,

                  GordonJ
                  Signature

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028112].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
                    Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

                    Gary Halbert said he only wanted one thing if he were to build a hamburger stand and that would be a starving crowd.
                    Fair enough. That's a good point. However with many People starting with IM it isn't as simple as that. (And requires a certain amount of "Salesmanship") for their customers to buy. (That's a good thing.)
                    Signature
                    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028119].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gary Chapple
    Mmmm interesting, yes I get ATTENTION, that's the headline dealt with, yes I get attention throughout the product but surely that require polished writing skills, in a specialisation, with an awareness of user experience (attention got it), but at the end of the day it's marketing awareness that's going to bring the bacon home.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11027840].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
      Originally Posted by Gary Chapple View Post

      Mmmm interesting, yes I get ATTENTION, that's the headline dealt with, yes I get attention throughout the product but surely that require polished writing skills, in a specialisation, with an awareness of user experience (attention got it), but at the end of the day it's marketing awareness that's going to bring the bacon home.
      What does this mean? Marketing awareness of what?
      Keeping attention requires little to no writing skills in some cases, graphics and pics do the talking. Billboards work on this premise, very short attention given to them, so the words are oft less important than the graphic.

      As for requiring writing skills of a specialized nature with awareness of the USER (reader/viewer/listener) ... isn't that a copy writer's job to begin with?

      I have no idea of what you mean by "marketing awareness".

      GordonJ
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11027990].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RickDuris
    ANYBODY can get attention these days.

    (Check out the new one-hit-wonder the "Cash Me Ouside" Girl as an example.)

    It's KEEPING a market's attention that counts, in my humble opinion.

    I defer to others, but what I've seen work are not big bang launches, but marketing tests, soft launches and beta releases.

    Ramp up slowly and let the market promote you because of your quality.

    It's leverage at its best.

    Because we all know online, interuptive advertising is dead.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11027861].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
      Originally Posted by RickDuris View Post

      ANYBODY can get attention these days.

      (Check out the new one-hit-wonder the "Cash Me Ouside" Girl as an example.)

      It's KEEPING a market's attention that counts, in my humble opinion.

      I defer to others, but what I've seen work are not big bang launches, but marketing tests, soft launches and beta releases.

      Ramp up slowly and let the market promote you because of your quality.

      It's leverage at its best.

      Because we all know online, interuptive advertising is dead.
      Can't argue Rick, because I said the same thing.

      Get and HOLD attention. AND lets get away from MARKET for a minute to TARGET (a PERSON)

      Sure, happy satisfied customers all always great to have.

      Mostly, copywriters are addressing a person within a niche or market. In fact, many teachers and copy gurus instruct their mentees with the suggestion to write your promotion to a single person, and yea, of course there are always exceptions.

      The answer to the long vs short copy argument, almost always comes down to keeping attention. Get boring, go down tangents, lose focus, and BAM they're gone.

      So, within the context of a post in a copywriting forum, and with so many newbs and wannabees being nothing more than PARROTHEADS, reciting some formula in a book or something...how about some thoughtful consideration of what copy does.

      Effective copy, copy that converts, copy that works, copy we get paid to write...must not only GET attention but HOLD IT TOO. NO?

      GordonJ
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11027994].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
    You can get a prospect to read and understand every word you've written... but if he doesn't believe you, there will be no sale.

    Attention without believability is worthless.

    Alex
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028090].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
      Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

      You can get a prospect to read and understand every word you've written... but if he doesn't believe you, there will be no sale.

      Attention without believability is worthless.

      Alex
      Yea? Then there has been a mismatch or disconnect between the writer and the target. I can't fathom a copywriter who doesn't know and understand the importance of believability.

      Who teaches to write to get attention without it? You?

      But even then, it could fall to the reader. Just cause I don't believe a certain ad, doesn't mean others won't and it could be a big success for some.

      What is your point Alex?

      GordonJ
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028096].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
        The point?

        The statement, "The one word copy writing formula. Attention." is worthless.

        It's not a formula.

        And saying that it includes everything a copywriter needs to put in a sales piece makes it meaningless.

        Alex
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028114].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
          Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

          The point?

          The statement, "The one word copy writing formula. Attention." is worthless.

          It's not a formula.

          And saying that it includes everything a copywriter needs to put in a sales piece makes it meaningless.

          Alex
          You are right of course, It is not a formula. I'll let the reader decide if it is worthless or not.

          As to your point on being believable, as pointed out to the other guy, how many billions have been sold by gurus, like Kevin Trudeau for example, because the reader believed him?

          Snake oil, in all forms, including copywriting training is being sold by gurus everywhere.

          I just asked you a question Alex, it wasn't an attack of any kind. You know how much I love you.

          You found the post useless. Is that all?
          \
          \GordonJ
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028132].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
            Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post


            You found the post useless. Is that all?

            GordonJ
            Not useless. Misleading.

            Kind of in the "just do it" mold of copywriting advice.

            Telling a new copywriter that keeping attention will make the sale leaves a lot out.

            Alex
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11030010].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
        Oh, and don't start with the ad hominem attacks.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028116].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

      Attention without believability is worthless.
      Exactly. Thanks Alex. There's more to the Art and Science of Copywriting than just "attention."

      Jonathan
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028113].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
        Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

        Exactly. Thanks Alex. There's more to the Art and Science of Copywriting than just "attention."

        Jonathan
        OK. Billions of dollars sold from supplement ads. Some of the top name IM gurus sold all kinds of supplements, some even alluding to cancer cures.

        The reason we even have an FTC and FDA is to protect people from their own belivability.

        Just because a reader believes an ad, doesn't mean anything.

        GordonJ
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028126].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
          Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

          Just because a reader believes an ad, doesn't mean anything.
          True. (I guess,) However a person has (seldom) purchased a product they didn't believe in. And, as Alex mentioned, believability is an important part of the sales process.
          Signature
          "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028131].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
            Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

            True. (I guess,) However a person has (seldom) purchased a product they didn't believe in. And, as Alex mentioned, believability is an important part of the sales process.
            And that is something brought with them. You can't covert their belief.
            Some people have made small fortunes writing books on flying saucers, UFO's ad even Thetans from distant planets.

            Astrology is a billion dollar industry, and the buyers are presold, you just need to provide what they are looking for.

            So, yea, make sure your promotion gets and keeps their attention via rapport, belief, which they bring with them.

            GordonJ
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028133].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
              Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

              And that is something brought with them. You can't covert their belief.
              Great point. You reminded me of something from "Breakthrough Advertising" (Eugene M. Schwartz) where you harmonize/connect with what's already happening in your Reader's mind.
              Signature
              "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028141].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
                Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

                Great point. You reminded me of something from "Breakthrough Advertising" (Eugene M. Schwartz) where you harmonize/connect with what's already happening in your Reader's mind.
                At one time, I probably had every book Gene sold. I believed him, although in a facebook group recently, you'll find some well known and respected copy guy called Mr. Schwartz a "snake oil" salesman. Such are the opinions of others.

                So when he told me I could command people with my mind, I sent him 10 bux. When he said I could have an incredible memory, OVERNIGHT, he got another 10.

                But he only needed a 1.5% response rate to make oodles of cash. He certainly was not BELIEVABLE to the masses. And in direct response marketing, a high paid copywriter only needs a very small % on a cold list, and backends alone can keep him fed for years, not because the follow up copy is wonderful, or even believable, because he had a BUYER.

                He had someone INTERESTED.
                He resonated with the right person, he got their ATTENTION.

                As Schwartz always got mine, held my attention all the way to dropping the envelope into the mailbox.

                In order to connect with your reader, you must first break their preoccupation, and when you do that it is not about yelling fire in a theater...to get attention, or being wildly stupid on a TV show, but

                get their deep attention because they have IN THEIR MINDS, what you are offering, and come pre suaded to buy, until you muck up the deal by putting speed bumps in your copy, and lose their attention.

                GordonJ
                Signature

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028152].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
                  Cool. : )

                  Jonathan
                  Signature
                  "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028154].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
                    Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

                    Cool. : )

                    Jonathan
                    0

                    As a reductionist I look for the straightest line. What I see in copywriting today is a lot of confusion. It is exploding. Facebook groups with 20, 25 thousand members.

                    With the exceptions of Vin Clancy and Colin Theriot, much of it is same old, same old recycled crap.

                    Sure it is a lifetime of learning and studying, but doesn't take long to become a "good enough" copywriter people PAY.

                    I think someone, maybe Rick posted like 27 copywriting formulas, or something like that.

                    What happens to newbs and inexperienced copy cubs is they try to follow the formula step by step because Guru A says this is how it is done.

                    Colin Theriot has "templates" other people have used to get work, and some have huge swipe files.

                    But few have either basic business skills (sales) or persuasive writing skills.

                    Then add to the mix, a LIST of the so called best markets to write for and you see how so much competition exists going after very low paying jobs.

                    I actually try to help you all in your copywriting journey, and try to encourage you to take the straightest line you can to get where you want to go.

                    Some people get to 100 k a year the first year having NEVER read a book, or taken a course, they either have sales experience or innate people skills.

                    Other guys, some here at the WF have been writing for 5 years and still have to hustle like hell to find work, and with more newbs being added daily, it becomes a grind.

                    There is great opportunity for writers who can help people sell stuff. HUGE demand, and in some very quiet fishing holes where there is little to no competition.

                    In those smaller lakes and ponds, you have to know how to bait the hook to catch what fish lurk below. These guys will beat a path to your door, IF...

                    you understand their customers and what their markets/niches want...

                    and you write to get their specific attention, because it is all you need BECAUSE you have cast your line, with the right bait on it, into the right pond at the right time, and you get and keep their attention which they so desperately WANT to give to you to begin with.

                    Not being a contrarian just for the sake of arguments, shining a light on darker corners of copywriting, if explored, leads YOU to more success.

                    If anyone wants more than ATTENTION as their go to 'formula' by all means see the sticky and read all te books.

                    GordonJ
                    Signature

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028178].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
                  A professor comes to learn from a wise Zen master, but it quickly becomes obvious to the Zen master that this professor is more interested in showing off his own knowledge then in learning.

                  He interrupts the Zen master. He follows each story the Zen master tells with a story of his own instead of really listening. So the Zen master begins to pour a cup of tea. He fills the cup and keeps pouring, so that the cup is overflowing.

                  The professor stops him, saying the cup is overflowing, no more will fit in. The Zen master says to the professor, before you can really learn something you have to empty your cup.
                  Or has I once heard: True knowledge is knowing that you know nothing.

                  Jonathan
                  Signature
                  "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028160].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Best Seller
    Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

    The one word copy writing formula.

    Attention.

    You can make a lot of money writing if you can get and hold your reader's attention.

    Go ahead, read the 101 books, spend thousands on courses, and waste years of time trying to perfect your copywriting skills. But, if you are a newb.

    If you want to grow fast, make money sooner rather than later, if you want to accelerate your success:

    Write the word, ATTENTION on a piece of paper and stick it on your screen.

    Then, for a week, NOTE what gets your attention.

    What holds it through to a transaction?

    Every book on copywriting, every course, every guru formula is all about getting and holding attention through an action you planned on.

    So, in order to gain attention, you need to know;

    WHERE? Where exactly will you be making your attempt to influence?
    WHEN? At what time, what day, what hour?

    The first thing you do as a copywriter is to match your product to a target.

    There is a person out there who will buy what you have, your job is to find that person. You know (from your studies of behavior, psychology and copywriting courses) this person needs to be INTERRUPTED

    with an important message. An alert. Yesterday my phone went off at 5:50 AM with a tornado warning, and sirens began blasting throughout my city.

    That grabbed my immediate attention, and I took action.

    Your copy should have a similar impact on your reader.

    GET ATTENTION. Hold their attention. The second you lose their attention, is the second you lose the sale. WRITE with the thought that every word, every sentence you put down has to serve this one purpose...

    to KEEP their attention. And HOW do you do that?

    Wake em out of a sound sleep with a life threatening ALERT. (Metaphor)

    My phone gave me an UNTIL time, 6:30 AM then the danger will have passed. The danger your target faces is; loss.

    NOW begin to apply the one word writing formula to your copy, and see some instant results.

    GordonJ
    ATTENTION is a great call to action: Ask for the Sale by Including a "Call to Action" in Your Marketing Materials
    Signature
    Visit the PPG Publisher's Blog for
    Everything You Need to Know on How to Write, Publish, and Sell a Book
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028612].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RickDuris
    The points here everyone is making are near brilliant.

    Simply amazing.

    Distinguishing between getting and keeping.

    The relationship between attention and trust.

    The subtle difference between attention, interest and curiosity.

    One could put together a very helpful program or blog post.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11028867].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
      Originally Posted by RickDuris View Post

      The points here everyone is making are near brilliant.

      Simply amazing.

      Distinguishing between getting and keeping.

      The relationship between attention and trust.

      The subtle difference between attention, interest and curiosity.

      One could put together a very helpful program or blog post.
      WARNING, this may be mostly rant, but hope to give a couple of keepers.

      First, I am not a freelance copywriter, never have been, never called myself one. I have written a fair amount of copy, and for the most part businesses came to me and asked me to write copy.

      I have a long history of being ANTI Copywriting as a Biz-OP. But things have changed. Let some stats tell a story:

      Warrior Forum 1,219,002 members as of today, at this time.
      FACEBOOK groups:
      Cult of Copy: 25,208 members
      Traffic and Copy : 21,206 members
      Gary Halbert Copy Club 5690
      Dan Kennedy Students 3443

      These are just FACEBOOK groups and you can find scores of blogs on the subject too.

      The interest in Internet Marketing continues to explode world wide. One of the first "universal premises" of IM is: you have to learn how to sell, which translates into:

      copywriting is very important. And, of course, it IS a commodity, which can be cheaply (relatively) bought.

      But it has been expertly sold as an easy to begin BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY if you can string a few coherent sentences together. When I visited AWAI headquarters a few years ago, I left unimpressed with their content, however, I did marvel at their growth by guru marketing method.

      LONG ago, Writer's Digest was one of the two big playas in selling tools to writers. Or maybe better put: selling DREAMS to writers. AWAI has done a fantastic job with that.

      OK, OK...today, AWAI is one of scores of copywriting HOW TO sources, we see by the sticky above, one can invest years and tens of thousands of dollars into their copywriting education.

      Usually, the choice of guru (teacher) comes from first resonating contact. If you stumble across Halbert first, and his teachings strike a chord, you become a devotee and a customer, and he is one of maybe 30 guys who can offer you a course of instruction.

      The PROBLEM is: too many gurus, too much anecdotal success, and not much in the way of cold, hard facts. The industry has come down to:

      do what I did, you get the same results I got.

      Biggest myth in all of self-help, self improvement and in mentoring or education is the
      "FORMULA"
      method.

      MLM and Network marketing is built on this misconception.

      Before I run out of characters, take note of a post made today at the Cult of Copy Group on Facebook, it clearly summarizes where this industry is today:

      TWO GROUPS.
      1) You can make a lot of money without all the copywriting knowledge and HOW TO
      2) TRADITIONAL or old school, and

      both groups have stuff to sell you.

      The choice you make is right for you.

      AS you can see by this post, the idea of a one word "formula" gets traditionalists' panties in a knot, as they fight to maintain their position that copywriting is mysterious and like the night "full of terrors" if you don't follow old and oft long dead gurus.

      It comes down to what you want.

      What do you want? If you want to make money writing copy, fastest way is for your own products, and if you want a grind, then go find other people to pay you.

      If you want to be able to spout off rules and formulas, and quote self elevated gurus, then by all means, do what you want to do.

      My background is numbers and results. When I did accept writing assignments, for direct response copy, I always had a piece of the action, and I never had to solicit anyone for a job. 0

      Get results from your writing, word gets around.

      GordonJ

      PS. Probably more of a ramble than a rant, eh?
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11029265].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
        Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

        AS you can see by this post, the idea of a one word "formula" gets traditionalists' panties in a knot, as they fight to maintain their position that copywriting is mysterious and like the night "full of terrors" if you don't follow old and oft long dead gurus.
        Copywriting is not mysterious. (BTW, who in this thread said it is?)

        But it IS different from every other style of writing.

        To suggest that a copywriting wannabe should not engage is a course of study prior to proceeding is folly.

        Alex
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11030012].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Princess Balestra
        Thing is, even Medusa demanded attention.

        An' when she got it, proofa its power was IMMEDIATE.

        Butchya gotta figure she mighta done better outta bein' more approachable.

        An' mebbe havin' sumthin' betterta offer all who gazed upon her than DEATH.

        But in her thrasha snakes an' doom, polaritya attention's power is clearly outlined.

        Look, an' mebbe ur hooked.

        Avert your gaze, an' you merely acknowledge you seen her comin'.

        Thing is — how in hell did she get here?

        Like — why didya jus' see a woman packin' serpents?
        Signature

        Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11041482].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DavePipitone
    Thanks GordonJ for this short article on attention!

    I just started reading Robert Cialdini's book on Pre-Suasion and focused attention is such a big part of pre-suading someone to take action.

    You're right on!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11040808].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aborsuk2
    Hence also the use of sub heads to keep readers attention through the journey of your copy. Just like writing a story, you want to win the reader over to warm them. Really good post, brings back the focus of copy for me thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11041647].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mavricks
    Fear is a great sales tactic. Great article
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11046183].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MortonHill
    This post is very well-written. Very clear. I will keep the good advice in mind.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11046912].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ladyboss
    Ths is very interesting! I like the idea. Reminds me to use the word Fire instead of help in serious situations to get the attention and help needed. For some reason, people cringe and don't take action when they hear someone yelling Help. Ironincally, when someone yells Fire, people react.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11048401].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RickDuris
    In the era of social media platforms and their hatred of direct response, strong attention-getting devices can and usually do get you banned.

    How to navigate?

    In short, you've got to break a few time-honored copywriting rules.

    For instance...

    "How to Banish Belly Fat"

    While it gets attention, that headline would be shot down. However...

    "How I Banished Belly Fat" would pass as an article lander.

    What just happened?

    You're talking about yourself. Something that's usually considered verboten in copywriting.

    All I'm trying to say is the last word has not been written on this subject. Not by a long shot.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11049029].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Princess Balestra
      How belly fat cowered and FLED before the confident NEW ME!

      How I GRABBED belly fat by the wobbly cellulite throat an' SHOOK IT HARD till it FELL OFF MY BONES!

      How I KICKED the FAT RAT with my WILLPOWER BOOTS and slimmed to the size I WANTED — as HORRIFIC EXCESS FLESH flew from my SLENDER NEW FRAME in an haze of BLOOD.

      Gotta say, the personal pronoun lends itself to a certain empowerment.
      Signature

      Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11049094].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TomAndrews
    Yep, getting the attention of your ideal prospect is the most important part of any sales copy.

    Without it, it doesn't matter how great the rest of your copy is. After all, if you didn't catch their initial attention, then they're not gonna read any of it.

    Thing is, how do you catch your ideal prospect's attention?

    Well, as Eugene Schwartz put it, it's all about knowing their "state of awareness", and using that knowledge to write a powerful headline.

    For example:

    If they already know of your product and the benefits they get from it, then you can state your product and a bargain price in the headline.

    Nice and simple.

    Though if they don't know about your product yet, but they are aware of a desire they have (which your product would help them fulfill), then you state the desire itself in your headline,

    And if they have no idea about you or your product and they're currently unaware of any desire they have, then you call the market itself out in your headline.

    When you understand this, writing successful headlines becomes way easier.

    If you haven't read "Breakthrough Advertising" yet, then make sure you do. It goes over this in great depth.

    Though beware:

    You could be going on a bit of a treasure hunt before you find a copy. But when you do find one, it will literally feel like you've just discovered some hidden treasure.

    Tom Andrews
    Signature

    Let's connect on Facebook because it's always good to meet fellow marketers. Send me a friend request: https://www.facebook.com/tom.andrews.7927

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11049303].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
      Originally Posted by TomAndrews View Post

      Yep, getting the attention of your ideal prospect is the most important part of any sales copy.

      Without it, it doesn't matter how great the rest of your copy is. After all, if you didn't catch their initial attention, then they're not gonna read any of it.

      Thing is, how do you catch your ideal prospect's attention?

      Well, as Eugene Schwartz put it, it's all about knowing their "state of awareness", and using that knowledge to write a powerful headline.

      For example:

      If they already know of your product and the benefits they get from it, then you can state your product and a bargain price in the headline.

      Nice and simple.

      Though if they don't know about your product yet, but they are aware of a desire they have (which your product would help them fulfill), then you state the desire itself in your headline,

      And if they have no idea about you or your product and they're currently unaware of any desire they have, then you call the market itself out in your headline.

      When you understand this, writing successful headlines becomes way easier.

      If you haven't read "Breakthrough Advertising" yet, then make sure you do. It goes over this in great depth.

      Though beware:

      You could be going on a bit of a treasure hunt before you find a copy. But when you do find one, it will literally feel like you've just discovered some hidden treasure.

      Tom Andrews
      A successful headline in Schwartz' time was a very small percentage of the readers. Fortunes were made with a 2 and 3% response.

      The thing, probably the least talked about factor in all copywriting circles is:

      TIMING.

      I call it the INTERSECTION, where the promotion meets the prospect. You could have great copy, offer, highly targeted traffic, BUT, the timing is off, which negates the great copy.

      For the most part, Gene had a static platform, using mostly print and mainly magazines for his ads, he could get to his prospect's "state of awareness" much easier. The reader was identified by the type of reading.

      Guys reading GOLF or Golf Digest were not good for selling fishing equipment in. So all of those old guys had an advantage.

      Today, the TIMING, could be (probably is) the most important part of your campaign, yet, it is seldom talked about or taught BECAUSE,

      MOST don't know how to apply and use all that wonderful data about surfing/buying behavior we have today.

      Gene was my personal fav, BACK IN THE DAY...

      but there are many people bustin it today. And some because of their TIMING.

      GordonJ
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11049610].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics