How much is the average rate per word for a writer to earn decently?

by 19 comments
Hi,
I have notice that the rate of copywriting, article writing, content writing is becoming cheaper as many are trying to write to earn a living, however, How much is the rate per word for a writer to earn decently?
#copy writing #average #decently #earn #rate #word #writer
  • Profile picture of the author Traffic101
    I would go to rentacoder.com and check the prices there. But really you pay for your experience. If you are a great writer, you can demand more money. If you are new to the field, you have to take those cheaper jobs to build experience.

    I was able to earn $700 a month writing part time, and working full time, you do the math to figure out what I was making.

    As a hint, because I am an established writer, I don't produce an article for less than $25 but really I prefer $100 an article.
  • Profile picture of the author MontelloMarketing
    Originally Posted by jocelyn View Post

    Hi,
    I have notice that the rate of copywriting, article writing, content writing is becoming cheaper as many are trying to write to earn a living, however, How much is the rate per word for a writer to earn decently?
    You need to separate the professions. Article writing is "on the cheap." In order to make a living it's sort of like running a word mill. You have to pump out articles, or "content" quickly and consistently in order to eat.

    Even established article writers ain't getting rich anytime soon. Most established article writers you'll run into won't ever even wander into 6 figure territory. But...

    That is NOT COPYWRITING.

    Copywriting is a profession where you write words that directly cause people to make money. Copywriters are therefore well paid. And not only the established ones with a long reputation for generating money... but even those who are coming up among the ranks.

    Consider this... an article writer may start out at pennies per word, while many copywriters' first sales letter fees are in the thousands of dollars.

    Needless to say copywriters don't work on a "per word" basis.
  • Profile picture of the author I Web Content
    Yes, it really only depends what kind of quality you're offering the client, and what your credentials are. An established writer, with a PhD can definitely charge more than some fresh undergrad. It also depend on the kind of writing that's needed. For a well researched e-Book, you're obviously going to be spending a lot more than you would for a blog article about kitchen utensils.
    • Profile picture of the author MontelloMarketing
      Originally Posted by I Web Content View Post

      Yes, it really only depends what kind of quality you're offering the client, and what your credentials are. An established writer, with a PhD can definitely charge more than some fresh undergrad. It also depend on the kind of writing that's needed. For a well researched e-Book, you're obviously going to be spending a lot more than you would for a blog article about kitchen utensils.
      Listen... I get what you're saying. But you're really dancing around the real issue here.

      Copywriters don't get paid per word. If I write a sales letter that has 10 words on it and it makes my client a million dollars, he'll still pay my fees. If an ebook writer turns in 10 words they're not getting squat... and probably won't get hired again.

      For ebook (well researched or not), or article (good ones and bad alike) writers you are usually filling out space.

      I need a 100 page ebook... I need ten 500 word articles... etc. That's a world away from what copywriters do.

      And the truth is for some reason the warrior forum stands out among all the forums as having the most members who are clueless about this distinction.

      Even the best ebook writers you'll find on WF are not buying summer homes. Nothing wrong with that... I'm just sayin'.

      So many (usually article writers) like to lump us all together. Even the ones who make a distinction speak about the two professions as being related, when they're not.

      There are copywriters... then there's everything else.
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    Now why are people who didn't read the forum stickies upsetting Vin?
    How many times the guy has to make this distinction?

    There's copywriting and there is article writing and never the twain shall meet.

    And pleeeeeze, stop upsetting Vin!

    -Ray Edwards
    • Profile picture of the author briancassingena
      Originally Posted by Raydal View Post

      Now why are people who didn't read the forum stickies upsetting Vin?
      How many times the guy has to make this distinction?

      There's copywriting and there is article writing and never the twain shall meet.

      And pleeeeeze, stop upsetting Vin!

      -Ray Edwards
      Gee Ray, doesn't seem too hard to upset Vin. Although you'd expect him to fire up if he's the Godfather of Persuasion. So if you're new to writing then don't take it personally, just take the advice.
  • Profile picture of the author Adaptive
    Jocelyn, I agree with those commenting that you need to indicate what kind of writing you're referring to. By comparison, how much does a driver get paid per mile? Indy 500 and pizza delivery have very different rates, but they're both paying drivers! So which type of writing are you interested in?

    Regards,
    Allen

    P.S. In my opinion, highest dollars per words are
    1. Ponzi scheme promoters as long as they get away with it
    2. Screenwriters who also direct their own new blockbuster on a shoestring budget

    Regards,
    Allen
  • Profile picture of the author jocelyn
    Thank you for your clarifications, I think I must try all of them for me to know which kind I would prefer. As of this moment, one year experience in content and article writing will help me decide whether I will go forward or move on another dimension.
    • Profile picture of the author John_S
      There's copywriting and there is article writing and never the twain shall meet.
      I would disagree, and maybe suggest that's one of the problems. Perhaps the twain can and should meet.

      Creating Persuasive White Papers: An Interview With Bob Bly This is the direct response copywriter Bob Bly -- writing a technical, informative, white paper -- that also gets results.

      While I don't know what Bly charges, you can bet it isn't per word pricing.

      Article writers, the low paid ones anyway, could use some copywriting tips on writing with a solid objective in mind (not infotainment) and actually understanding a target reader (not "site visitors," "the market," or "users.")

      The penny ante articles I've read make me think I just wasted precious minutes I could have spent doing something else. They don't convince me the "expert" they write for knows anything special or compelling. These so-called writers don't even convince me their client is an expert.

      Slap dash penny-per-word articles are dashed off like a high schooler copying wikipedia for a paper due the next day. Of course it's pay per word, because these people aren't writers -- they're typists. I don't know what you think you're selling but the client is buying typing.
  • Profile picture of the author David Raybould
    DK-

    Copywriting skills will mean you can
    write circles around 99.99% of all article
    writers.

    You'll be able to provide your clients
    with articles that get them a staggeringly
    high CTR, compared to what they're used
    to.

    You bet your ass clients would be willing
    to pay more for that.

    Think about it for a second...

    Would you pay $6 per article that brings
    10 visitors a day...or $15 per article that
    brings in 50 visitors a day?

    I've got a free report in the war room to
    help you get the most traffic from your
    articles, it will definitely help you.

    -David Raybould
    • Profile picture of the author D.K. Magnus
      Thanks David.

      When I see people flocking to the $5 per article offers, on sales pages that the seller obviously hasn't even checked for spelling and sentence structure, it makes me wonder.

      I am interest in offering my clients quality content, but I cannot compete with $5 offers and still take the time to do the research and proof-reading necessary.

      I'm going to the War Room now.

      Originally Posted by David Raybould View Post

      DK-

      Copywriting skills will mean you can
      write circles around 99.99% of all article
      writers.

      You'll be able to provide your clients
      with articles that get them a staggeringly
      high CTR, compared to what they're used
      to.

      You bet your ass clients would be willing
      to pay more for that.

      Think about it for a second...

      Would you pay $6 per article that brings
      10 visitors a day...or $15 per article that
      brings in 50 visitors a day?

      I've got a free report in the war room to
      help you get the most traffic from your
      articles, it will definitely help you.

      -David Raybould
  • Profile picture of the author regan
    I used to hire a writer for 10 cents a word, and she was amazing writer. I still am giving more work to write a good articles.

Next Topics on Trending Feed