Freelancer.com

Go Back   Warrior Forum - The #1 Internet Marketing Forum & Marketplace > The Warrior Forum > Copywriting
Register Blogs Social Groups CalendarHelp Desk

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 13th February 2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Sales Copywriter
Registered Member
War Room Member
 
shawnlebrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,124
Blog Entries: 29
Thanks: 449
Thanked 1,436 Times in 595 Posts
Default the elusive USP....

I was talking with a client last week and when
I asked him what he thought his USP was... he
said that he hadn't really given it much thought.

And I just sat there, shaking my head, no longer
wondering why he wasn't doing that well online.

Heck, I remember hiring John Carlton about 10
years ago JUST to go over my USP with me, since
I knew the importance of it.

So, I'm curious... do fellow copywriters normally
help clients in depth with their USP, do you take
it and run with it yourself, work with them, etc...

I know the answers are probably all over the place,
but I was curious how other copywriters helped
their clients nail down their USP.

I used to be hardcore with finding mine... to
the point where I'd use Carlton's analogy of
a "gun to the head"

Or, if I'm chatting with clients, I'll have them
imagine that they're in Shark Tank and they
have 30 seconds to pitch the Sharks what
they do and why they're different than all
the rest.

So, how do you help clients find or
work on fine-tuning their USP?

shawnlebrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Senior Warrior Member
War Room Member
 
joe golfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2010
Location: In the money
Posts: 2,512
Thanks: 1,586
Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,309 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Love the Shark Tank idea. Consider that swiped, haha. When trying to explain USPs, I find that it helps to walk a client through a personal example. It seems clearer than if I use examples they don't care about.

So, maybe she is a golfer (runner/gun owner/boater). I'll ask why she bought the golf clubs she has now. "Oh, I bought Brand A because everyone knows Brand A is better for this reason, and Brand B is better for that reason."

I'll say, "Well right now your business is Brand Unknown because there is no reason to prefer you over a competitor."




joe golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Mimeograph Sniffer
War Room Member
 
Jeremey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2012
Location: Roanoke, VA USA
Posts: 366
Thanks: 251
Thanked 171 Times in 107 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Good shark tank analogy Shawn. When I'm doing an initial review with a client, I'll ask them directly, "What makes your product/service different from everything else out there right now?" It's usually met with silence, and I'll end up having to coach them through the process. Many times there's some really strong ideas uncovered, but every now and then you'll get "Well, I mean...there's nothing really special about it, it's the same thing everyone else is offering...It's your job as a copywriter to make it special!" Those are the fun jobs!

Jeremey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Passionate Storyteller.
 
Moriarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2011
Location: Utrecht and Lüneburg
Posts: 179
Thanks: 40
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

The biggest problem for anybody dealing in USPs is that everybody wants to be the same. Just look around you on the street - all the cars are (almost) indistinguishable. The people wear "different" clothes yet look alarmingly uniform. Trains run to timetables set months if not years ahead. All of which runs counter to any ideas of uniqueness.

Because if you are writing about someone's business, it's only going to be any good if it describes that business truthfully. That very truth is unique - however uniform and bland the exterior may seem. There will be something in the manner of communications, aftersales or goodness knows what that makes that business stand out. They might not even like the idea of you promoting that aspect of their business - despite it being the one thing people like about them best!

What a funny world we live in.

Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Senior Warrior Member
War Room Member
 
joe golfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2010
Location: In the money
Posts: 2,512
Thanks: 1,586
Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,309 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Radio spots for "The Smell Good Plumber" run steadily on LA radio. It's a unique USP and pre-handles a sales objection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih0H_iOw-dw




joe golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Mimeograph Sniffer
War Room Member
 
Jeremey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2012
Location: Roanoke, VA USA
Posts: 366
Thanks: 251
Thanked 171 Times in 107 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ditzel View Post
Radio spots for "The Smell Good Plumber" run steadily on LA radio. It's a unique USP and pre-handles a sales objection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih0H_iOw-dw
Speaking of plumbers, we have this here in Roanoke...

It's certainly a unique hook for their business, though I'm not sure how it ties into the concept of a USP.

Jeremey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Sales Copywriter
Registered Member
War Room Member
 
shawnlebrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,124
Blog Entries: 29
Thanks: 449
Thanked 1,436 Times in 595 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Joe, speaking of radio spots... i heard one this morning on the
way to take my son to school.

It was a local landscaper... and his radio commercial
led off with "tired of looking at dirty, ugly brown holes all day?"

I was like "huh?"

At first I thought it was a radio commercial for a proctologist...
but soon found out it was a local landscaper.

but he at least was trying to follow the "talk about my
green lawn and not your grass seed" analogy.

But talking about "avoiding dirty, ugly brown holes... " I'm not sure.

shawnlebrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Passionate Storyteller.
 
Moriarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2011
Location: Utrecht and Lüneburg
Posts: 179
Thanks: 40
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Joe Ditzel
Quote:
"The Smell Good Plumber"
I hope they wear aftershave ;-)

Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Join the HELP Revolution
War Room Member
 
Mark Pescetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2010
Location: Where my nose takes me
Posts: 1,812
Thanks: 1,429
Thanked 1,636 Times in 842 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

I will not start a project - until I've interviewed and coached my client.

Truth be told...

Most people are too close to their product or service and need someone to ask the right questions to reveal the true USP.

It goes both ways though...

There are also clients who are certified experts in their field and picking their brains can be an absolute pleasure.

When I interview those type of clients, I usually end up with all kinds of information to elevate the brand, create hooks and really hone in upon the USP.

IMO...

Gone are the days of simply having people fill out a form and using that information to create the campaign.

It takes intimate collaboration to uncover and build the USP into an unstoppable force.

My take.

Mark

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." Abraham Lincoln
Mark Pescetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 11:47 AM   #10
HyperActive Warrior
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2010
Posts: 297
Thanks: 58
Thanked 89 Times in 70 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ditzel View Post
Radio spots for "The Smell Good Plumber" run steadily on LA radio. It's a unique USP and pre-handles a sales objection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih0H_iOw-dw
Those run here in San Diego all the time too.

When I was reading Dan Kennedy's Ultimate Marketing Plan, he also mentioned another plumber with a similar story. Steve Fox Plumbing.

"My plumber will smell good and show up on time. Or I will pay you."

Steve Fox Plumbing

They're also in San Diego. I don't know who was first, but it looks like the Smell Good Plumbers are running with it big time.

This is the Smell Good Plumber's USP. Very similar.
Quote:
"I guarantee my plumber will show up on time and smell good or your house call is free!"
-Mike Diamond
.

Which I think brings up another point on USP's I hear all of the time. A USP doesn't always have to be unique. It could be something several people do, but nobody talks about. If its the first time they're hearing about it, it is unique (look at the smell good plumber).
deezn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Ads That Work
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: England UK
Posts: 1,909
Thanks: 1,380
Thanked 1,370 Times in 839 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

When you have a client who is a little scared to be radically different.

Because they feel their people expect the "same as"

Or when all is said and done, they do more or less what everybody else does.


You can suggest - "Yes, I'll write that in a compelling way, then I'll say, and ....

Adding in the unique extra (you'll usually discover what it is. Or convince the client to add it).

And the response rockets up.


Steve

Ads That Work - They're so irresistible. Your people just have to buy

Want Your Advertising To Get A Much Higher Response And Greater Profits? Just PM me. Or read this-
http://www.warriorforum.com/warriors...right-now.html
Steve The Copywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 01:02 PM   #12
Passionate Storyteller.
 
Moriarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2011
Location: Utrecht and Lüneburg
Posts: 179
Thanks: 40
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Deeznuts
Quote:
Which I think brings up another point on USP's I hear all of the time. A USP doesn't always have to be unique. It could be something several people do, but nobody talks about. If its the first time they're hearing about it, it is unique (look at the smell good plumber).
Yup. Mind you, it's always worth starting at the bottom and working your way up. Usually I work out three USPs in case someone knocks it off. Then you blast them from a completely different angle.

Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Senior Warrior Member
War Room Member
 
joe golfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2010
Location: In the money
Posts: 2,512
Thanks: 1,586
Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,309 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Ran into this last year while working on some project:

10 Examples of Killer Unique Selling Propositions on the Web

Our old friend Saddleback Leather is listed.




joe golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Sell or Die
 
RedShifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 2,255
Thanks: 740
Thanked 1,687 Times in 777 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

This is something I'm working on right now because noone else in my industry is doing it. All their websites say the same exact things, they're all boring, they don't really connect with the customer... and niether does mine.

The good part is, I've decided to actually do something about it.
RedShifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 03:19 PM   #15
Passionate Storyteller.
 
Moriarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2011
Location: Utrecht and Lüneburg
Posts: 179
Thanks: 40
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Red Shifted
Quote:
This is something I'm working on right now because noone else in my industry is doing it. All their websites say the same exact things, they're all boring, they don't really connect with the customer... and niether does mine.
Well done. Only will you be asking the questions your target traffic are asking? Because this may be why you can't find much evidence of the competition's websites. They're all doing it their way - and since they don't think like you, don't think of the same avenues to pursue. Even when you do find the odd landing page, it will be so different from yours that there won't be any competition. They have their share of the traffic, you have yours - and even if your traffic sees their site, won't like it as much as yours. They'll flock to you like homing pigeons.

Which is what uniqueness is all about, isn't it?

Oh, and isn't it the way the web should be? It would save a lot of frustration, that's for certain.

Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 03:25 PM   #16
Ads That Work
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: England UK
Posts: 1,909
Thanks: 1,380
Thanked 1,370 Times in 839 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Hey Red,

It was a while ago when you posted one of your promo's (wasn't your website) on the offline forum - and you made lots of improvements.

I always meant to ask how the refined version did (don't worry if you can't remember, it was in the distant past).

Anyway...

I'm sure you'll nail it on your website especially as you now have a new USP (it's always good if the "competition" can't, won't or have no earthly idea how to do the same thing).


Steve


P.S. In case "nail it" is a UK term - it means "getting it right"

Ads That Work - They're so irresistible. Your people just have to buy

Want Your Advertising To Get A Much Higher Response And Greater Profits? Just PM me. Or read this-
http://www.warriorforum.com/warriors...right-now.html
Steve The Copywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 05:49 PM   #17
CopyRanger.com
War Room Member
 
RickDuris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 1,799
Thanks: 958
Thanked 2,525 Times in 918 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

I'm probably in the minority, but I believe discussing USPs with a new Client is a risk as well as waste of time.

I dare not mutter the words.

1. When you ask a new Client what their USP is, you take a significant risk making them feel stupid for not having one or having an ill-conceived one.

2. You also take a significant risk in making yourself look like a pompous marketing expert talking over the Client's head.

3. If you have to ask what their USP is, you're also risking insulting the Client. Or having the Client thinking you're an idiot for not seeing their USP, because it's so obvious.

4. And the most important reason is I have to earn my keep.

It's ok if you're having beer and brainstorming session at the bar, but ALL of my Clients hire me to make them money.

Immediately.

I have to justify my existence as quickly as possible or I'm gone.

I know it and they know it.

It's "show us what you've got" time.

I'm sorry. You may be able to mesmerize a Client by creating a killer USP, but it usually takes too damn long to roll it out (integrate it) and see tangible results from the implementation (directly attributable to it.)

So I begin with quicker ways to improve their bottom line, making it so they feel comfortable paying me out of the profits.

Not saying USPs aren't valuable. They're important, if not vital. But I never use the word USP or even the phrase 'elevator speech' in the beginning of a relationship with a Client.

- Rick Duris

PS: Speaking of USPs, brands & positioning:

Heart Attack Grill’s Unofficial Spokesman Died from Heart Attack:

Heart Attack Grill’s Unofficial Spokesman Dies of Heart Attack | TIME.com


7/23/2014 - New blog post at http://CopyRanger.com
Copywriters: Get More Clients Now <--LinsaySmith doesn't want you to click this link. Whatever you do, don't do it, because I'll make money and you'll get copywriting Clients
RickDuris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 06:34 PM   #18
HyperActive Warrior
 
The Marketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2011
Posts: 390
Thanks: 674
Thanked 135 Times in 114 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

I agree with Rick.

I think it's possible to help the client uncover their USP without actually referring to the acronym USP.

It can be achieved by just going through the interview process and delving deeper with research until you identify it.

That's also partly what they hire a copywriter for.
The Marketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 06:34 PM   #19
Passionate Storyteller.
 
Moriarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2011
Location: Utrecht and Lüneburg
Posts: 179
Thanks: 40
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Rick Duris
Quote:
I'm probably in the minority, but I believe discussing USPs with a new Client is a risk as well as waste of time.

I dare not mutter the words.
You're right.

The Marketeer.
Quote:
That's also partly what they hire a copywriter for.
Spot on.


Last edited by Moriarty; 13th February 2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Added Quote.
Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13th February 2013, 07:22 PM   #20
Join the HELP Revolution
War Room Member
 
Mark Pescetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2010
Location: Where my nose takes me
Posts: 1,812
Thanks: 1,429
Thanked 1,636 Times in 842 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDuris View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I believe discussing USPs with a new Client is a risk as well as waste of time.

I dare not mutter the words.

1. When you ask a new Client what their USP is, you take a significant risk making them feel stupid for not having one or having an ill-conceived one.
When you get clients talking about everything that makes their solution unique and amazing, you'll uncover the insights you need to create the USP, for them.

You never say: "Hey man, what's your USP?"

That's your job.

But the interviewing and collaboration process reveals this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDuris View Post

3. If you have to ask what their USP is, you're also risking insulting the Client. Or having the Client thinking you're an idiot for not seeing their USP, because it's so obvious.
IMO...

Part of the USP is integrating the client's passion into it.

Do you think Steve Jobs would have been so successful if Apple didn't reflect his passion and unrelenting demand for excellence; for innovation?

I don't.

He wouldn't stand for marketing campaigns that failed to imply depth - no matter how simple the message was.

That's why...

The client's purpose behind the solution (you're selling) should always find its way into the copy - whenever possible.

Whether it's in a story, hook or the brand itself.

Even if the USP is obvious, so what?

There's always more depth and dimension that can make the copy just as unique the solution you're pitching.

Besides...

When you take on a campaign, you're also taking on a person's vision.

I personally always strive to make that a part of the USP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDuris View Post

4. And the most important reason is I have to earn my keep.

It's ok if you're having beer and brainstorming session at the bar, but ALL of my Clients hire me to make them money.

Immediately.

I have to justify my existence as quickly as possible or I'm gone.

I know it and they know it.

It's "show us what you've got" time.

I'm sorry. You may be able to mesmerize a Client by creating a killer USP, but it usually takes too damn long to roll it out (integrate it) and see tangible results from the implementation (directly attributable to it.)

So I begin with quicker ways to improve their bottom line, making it so they feel comfortable paying me out of the profits.
Of course people hire copywriters to make them money.

However...

The collaboration and writing process takes as long as it takes.

A few extra days or a week isn't going to sabotage the copywriter/client relationship.

Successful entrepreneurs don't hire copywriters on a whim.

They want the magic they've seen you create for other business owners.

Do all clients want to dive into their vision and help you understand their passion and purpose for bringing their solution to market?

No.

But I'm not personally interested in working with people who aren't.

That being said...

I agree...

Make them money - so they can use the profits to keep the work coming.

Mark

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." Abraham Lincoln
Mark Pescetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14th February 2013, 03:13 AM   #21
Ads That Work
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: England UK
Posts: 1,909
Thanks: 1,380
Thanked 1,370 Times in 839 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

I agree with Rick. It tends to be us copywriters and maybe corporate clients who are stuck with the USP word.

Best way to free ourselves and prevent any confusion with buzzwords with the majority of our clients is talk in a way that is real to them.


'What do you do that is different, better, more valuable....?" (etc, etc)


Another good question is - "What do your customers say they appreciate most about you?" (this answer often leads onto the path of uniqueness).


Steve

Ads That Work - They're so irresistible. Your people just have to buy

Want Your Advertising To Get A Much Higher Response And Greater Profits? Just PM me. Or read this-
http://www.warriorforum.com/warriors...right-now.html
Steve The Copywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14th February 2013, 08:41 AM   #22
Mimeograph Sniffer
War Room Member
 
Jeremey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2012
Location: Roanoke, VA USA
Posts: 366
Thanks: 251
Thanked 171 Times in 107 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Rick and Mark both make great points.

And it certainly takes a ton of time to properly develop a USP and implement it across all aspects of a client's marketing.

When I read Shawn's OP, I wasn't actually thinking of literally asking a client what their USP is. Or developing a client's USP for them from scratch that could be implemented over time in a complete marketing and branding capacity. I was thinking "how do you help clients uncover what may be unique about their product or service and then put that into service in your work for them?"

I do think asking clients what makes them unique or special in their marketplace and figuring out ways to develop that in your marketing, whether it be website copy or a sales page is fairly SOP. I don't think anyone who's done any marketing for any reasonable length of time would argue that.

Jeremey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14th February 2013, 12:38 PM   #23
Sales Copywriter
Registered Member
War Room Member
 
shawnlebrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,124
Blog Entries: 29
Thanks: 449
Thanked 1,436 Times in 595 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Yeah, I technically won't come out and ask a client "what's your USP"
cause honestly.... many of my clients really didn't know what that meant.

But I do want to know what THEY think makes them better/different/unique, etc...

Often times, just from being in biz for 12 years and having a lot of success in
many different markets, I can kinda tell if someone is WAY off base with their USP.

So, i'll just find ways to help them sharpen their USP... whether or not they
take my advice, I'll still weave it into their copy.

But like Steve said, HOW you word it often makes all the difference...

In my client survey, I have a sentence that reads something like...

"If you were sitting down with your prospect, face to face, what would
you say in just a sentence or two, as to why they should buy from you."

It's pretty amazing, really, that an entire business can either succeed
or fail, all based on a USP.

shawnlebrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14th February 2013, 01:05 PM   #24
Double Espresso, please
War Room Member
 
copyassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2010
Location: Monrovia CA
Posts: 556
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 153
Thanked 683 Times in 208 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnlebrun View Post

So, how do you help clients find or
work on fine-tuning their USP?


Shawn,

Simplest, easiest, quickest, and most importantly, ACCURATE WAY to fine-tune a USP is using Adwords.

You can test the copy of the PPC ad with different USPs and track CTR, opt-ins, calls, and cash in.

See what works, see what doesn't.

You might also notice that within a certain business, different services have different USPs.

For example, I do tax strategy.

Tax Strategy for a w-2 earner vs a small business owner, vs a rental property owner is going to be different.

Perhaps the overarching theme is the same, but each one is different.

The problem I see with most USPs is this:

They take the owner into account without thinking of the end user.

A great USP is a marriage between the owner and the ideal client.

They need to be fit to each other.

Just because a business owners says, "I'm different because of XZY", doesn't mean that's the client cares about.

Being in business is about solving clients problems, not the ones the owners hope to solve.

Adam

The Most Bad-Ass Tax Reduction Strategist for Internet Marketers who HATE paying taxes. See my happy clients
copyassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14th February 2013, 02:02 PM   #25
Ads That Work
War Room Member
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: England UK
Posts: 1,909
Thanks: 1,380
Thanked 1,370 Times in 839 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Another thing about USP’s.

Often there just isn't one (but as I said earlier you can usually convince the client to add something of real “value” to the product or service).

Anyway…

This has been written about a gazillion times.

So here goes - a gazillion and one.

Claude Hopkins and the Schlitz beer ads (from his book "Scientific Advertising").

Virtually all the beer companies "filtered" their beer the same way. To make it pure.

But nobody knew about it.

So Claude in his infinite wisdom told the world that Schlitz did this filtering.

Viola - everyone saw it as a USP.

And they became the Number 1 best seller.


Steve



P.S. There are lots of modern day versions of this.


Today I was in a store and bought some stuff including a packet of vegetables - there was a round hole on the packet which I had never noticed before.

So I’m chatting to the checkout person and said “Are these vegetables OK, because there’s a hole on the packet?”

She said, “Yes, they’re fine, it’s to help make sure they can “breathe” so they say fresher for longer”

I never knew that was the reason - it wasn't the most astonishing fact I've ever discovered but it did suddenly become a USP.

Ads That Work - They're so irresistible. Your people just have to buy

Want Your Advertising To Get A Much Higher Response And Greater Profits? Just PM me. Or read this-
http://www.warriorforum.com/warriors...right-now.html
Steve The Copywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14th February 2013, 10:32 PM   #26
The On-Call Copywriter
War Room Member
 
Alex Cohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2007
Posts: 1,920
Thanks: 176
Thanked 1,148 Times in 718 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyassassin View Post
The problem I see with most USPs is this:

They take the owner into account without thinking of the end user.

A great USP is a marriage between the owner and the ideal client.
If a USP doesn't include a benefit, it's not really a USP. It's a tag line.

Alex
Alex Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16th February 2013, 12:44 PM   #27
Senior Warrior Member
War Room Member
 
seobro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2004
Location: , , USA.
Posts: 2,614
Thanks: 44
Thanked 227 Times in 195 Posts
Arrow Re: the elusive USP....

Back in the 90's brick and mortar businesses were told - the future is clicks not bricks... However, few new customers did bite any with that one. A better message was - make sales at 3AM over your very own web page. Sadly, what few companies understood back then is that most of your internet sales are 5PM - 9PM EST and very few occur on early predawn morning sessions.

Still it was an USP for many of us. Being able to sell outside of normal store hours was the lure to get companies to sign up. Actually one person told me that he was gonna fire all his sales reps. His strategy was - nothing but net!

However, most businesses soon found out that back then few non students were on the internet and sales were slow if any. Business owners spent thousands of dollars setting up their web site and then learned a lesson the hard way.

I firmly believed that the internet would grow into a profitable platform, but that took many years. Frankly, many a USP will often deliver far less than it can promise.

seobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28th April 2013, 11:54 AM   #28
Mr. Metaphor
War Room Member
 
sethczerepak's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2009
Location: The Beach
Posts: 1,519
Thanks: 541
Thanked 722 Times in 441 Posts
Default Re: the elusive USP....

Creating USPs has been the cornerstone of my copywriting business. I'm in a place right now where if people don't have one and don't want to have one, I don't work with them. Problem is the entire process is all up in my brain right now, but I'm turning it into a worksheet and thinking about offering it as a WSO.

Not sure though, seems like a lot of people on here are more interested in magic traffic software lol (pearls before swine?)

sethczerepak is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Warrior Forum - The #1 Internet Marketing Forum & Marketplace > The Warrior Forum > Copywriting

Bookmarks

Tags
elusive, usp

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 AM.