Should I Accept A $30,000 Offer For Constative.com

by Darlinton Omeh 23 replies
I listed Constative.com for sale to afford me time and resources to build Palness.com. I had in mind to sell at 70k or something around that figure. Brokers evaluated it to worth $90k - $105k but I don't want to wait too long to sell.

The site receives 150k users monthly with up to 400k page views. All the traffic comes from Google search. The niche is celebrity news and current affairs. The website currently has over 2,000 green articles.

I haven't been deep into monetization because I wanted to build massive traffic first, so the site is making between $450 - $600 from Adsense and another $500 from sponsored posts and eBooks. Taboola suggested I could be making $1,200 from them but I haven't implemented their code yet. The domain name is a one word English domain.

To give you more idea about the potential with the traffic, I listed and sold a custom WordPress theme I was no longer using for $5,000 on the site last two month.

Now, someone is offering me $30k but I'm insisting on $40k - $55k. Is it wise for me to accept it and move on because I needed to move on fast? Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks
#freemarket.com discussion #$30 #accept #constativecom #offer
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author jeymate
    If you really need the money now you can accept it. If you can wait you should wait. I think the price you ask almost correct. I would probably go with 36k. 3 times the annual income.

    On the monetization side. I think you can make more if you implement affiliate codes.

    Great traffic.
    I personally never had such a traffic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10894193].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Darlinton Omeh
      Thank you Jeymate, I appreciate the impute. I'm thinking of accepting but one thing I don't like is that he said "with financing option" so I'm still trying to figure that out because if I'm to accept, I wouldn't want to linger around for anything else.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10894207].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Gary Argent
        avoid financing if you can, if the cash is what you need then meet in the middle at 35k surely? if not hold out and keep the passive (kind of) income coming in.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10894227].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Darlinton Omeh
          Thank you Gary. I'm not good with those financial terms. Pls what exactly does he mean by "financing option" in this regard?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10894257].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author dburk
            Originally Posted by Darlinton Omeh View Post

            Thank you Gary. I'm not good with those financial term. Pls what exactly does he mean by "financing option" in this regard?
            Financing option usually means he wants you to loan him the money and he will make monthly installment payments to you over time.

            If you do decide to offer financing options you need to consider the risk of never getting all of your money, and his credit rating.

            Personally, I suggest that if financing is to be part of the deal use a 3rd party lender so that you know exactly what you are getting. If the 3rd party lender isn't willing to do the deal then you probably shouldn't either.

            Here's one company that offers financing for this type of deal:

            https://www.lendvo.com/domain-financing/
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10894697].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Darlinton Omeh
              Originally Posted by dburk View Post

              Financing option usually means he wants you to loan him the money and he will make monthly installment payments to you over time.
              Thanks for the head up. Its clear to me now and I can't just stop LOL. That's not an option for me. If I'm to sell, I'm selling and leaving for good, not waiting around for any loan repayment.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10894802].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nirajan
    Like jeymate mentioned, if you really need money right now, sell it. With 400k pageviews you can easily earn more than $2000 per month if you optimize ads on your website.

    If i were you, i would optimize it to earn more and wait for few months.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10894305].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Darlinton Omeh
      Thank you. I really need money now but don't want to sell at a price I'll later regret. If there is a way I can optimize the existing ads or new ad network to earn more, that will be fine.

      Of all the content recommendation networks, revcontent seems most appealing to me but they are trying to emulate Outbrain in terms of accepting new publishers.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10894330].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dave777
        Definitely consider going the professional domain name broker route! Do your homework well with deciding but even with high commissions, well worth the cost with the right connections and the sale at the right price to help make all parties extremely happy...

        A starting point with some good recommendations, with some more good research and further decision making, you could be coming into a nice future lottery of winnings...
        http://www.domaininvesting.com/guide...omain-brokers/

        All the best,
        Dave
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10894511].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
    With such a heavy traffic you should be earning way over $4,000 even if the traffic is not targeted.

    I think you are the one that have the solution to your dilemma.

    1. Take a risk and improve on your monetisation.

    2. Hire people to take care of the site for you.

    3. Flip the domain and move on with full force on your next project.

    If the offer were for $100,00, it would have been easy for me to decide. Don't know how much effort you have put into you site and resources.

    Get your figures right and move on.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10894686].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Darlinton Omeh
      Originally Posted by johnben1444 View Post

      With such a heavy traffic you should be earning way over $4,000 even if the traffic is not targeted.

      I think you are the one that have the solution to your dilemma.

      1. Take a risk and improve on your monetisation.

      2. Hire people to take care of the site for you.

      3. Flip the domain and move on with full force on your next project.

      If the offer were for $100,00, it would have been easy for me to decide. Don't know how much effort you have put into you site and resources.

      Get your figures right and move on.
      Frankly I've invested a lot into the website - from the premium domain name to custom designs to original content. I honestly deserve something around $150k. The site has earned links backs from New York Times, Guardian.com, Roasted.com Kinja, etc.

      My biggest down fall has been monetization but now I'm looking to add RevContent to see if the earning will improve.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10894800].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ellen Chedid
    I think it depends how desperate you are. Although honestly, I think you are selling yourself way short. Especially if a broker has evaluated at $90k-$105k. If you can affort to wait, wait it out a bit and see if someone offers you more. $30k is way too low.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10894995].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Experito
    I might be wrong but it looks like the traffic is going down: https://www.similarweb.com/website/c...e.com#overview Would not wait for too long selling it, mate...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10895451].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Darlinton Omeh
      Originally Posted by Experito View Post

      I might be wrong but it looks like the traffic is going down: https://www.similarweb.com/website/c...e.com#overview Would not wait for too long selling it, mate...
      Not entirely correct. Infact Similarweb shows traffic is currently up by 3.73% - 173k+ users for August and 180k+ users for September, how is that suppose to be down?

      I was conservative by mentioning 150k users, it is in reality 180k. I don't know which metric you are looking at? If you are looking at April when users were at 244k+, that's normal. All months are never the same. Traffic graph doesn't move in straight line. I can grant access to anyone who wish to view the analytics report in realtime.

      Hundreds of new green articles are actively being added almost on daily basis and when they start to rank in the coming months, the traffic may double. Constative.com is a serious well planned site.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10895651].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author attackdome
    Sometimes it's better to sell at a lower price than to be greedy and end up selling it down the road for nothing at all. I personally would sell it for $30k and then move on to the next project.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10895667].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Darlinton Omeh
      Originally Posted by attackdome View Post

      Sometimes it's better to sell at a lower price than to be greedy and end up selling it down the road for nothing at all. I personally would sell it for $30k and then move on to the next project.
      Yahoo comes to mind

      Seriously I want to sell but the $30k will make me feel like I've been shortchanged. Meanwhile, I'm still open. Thanks man
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10895711].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Handsome Man
    guys do you have some cours or something i can learn from how to do website too with good niche and get traffic ?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10908213].message }}
  • If it were me and I needed cash fast, I would do owner financing, even though others have said not to. What I would do is make a deal with the guy for his $30k down, hold the domain in your account until the balance is paid, of course with a time limit of course. Like owner financing a home. If he doesn't finish paying, you got your $30k+ whatever payments were made PLUS you get to sell it again. A "lease option" if you will.

    Just my 2 cents.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10945267].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Originally Posted by Gregory Smitherman View Post

      If it were me and I needed cash fast, I would do owner financing, even though others have said not to. What I would do is make a deal with the guy for his $30k down, hold the domain in your account until the balance is paid, of course with a time limit of course. Like owner financing a home. If he doesn't finish paying, you got your $30k+ whatever payments were made PLUS you get to sell it again. A "lease option" if you will.

      Just my 2 cents.


      That doesn't make sense.

      If the buyer is making payments you're not getting anything except payments. So getting cash fast isn't happening.

      Personally I'd never sell a site on payments, I think it's a crazy idea and asking for a lawsuit If the buyer eventually gets pissed off about the deal.

      OP, make the sale or keep the domain but don't drag it out (payments).
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10945287].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Faulkner
    Originally Posted by Darlinton Omeh View Post

    I listed Constative.com for sale to afford me time and resources to build Palness.com. I had in mind to sell at 70k or something around that figure. Brokers evaluated it to worth $90k - $105k but I don't want to wait too long to sell.

    The site receives 150k users monthly with up to 400k page views. All the traffic comes from Google search. The niche is celebrity news and current affairs. The website currently has over 2,000 green articles.

    I haven't been deep into monetization because I wanted to build massive traffic first, so the site is making between $450 - $600 from Adsense and another $500 from sponsored posts and eBooks. Taboola suggested I could be making $1,200 from them but I haven't implemented their code yet. The domain name is a one word English domain.

    To give you more idea about the potential with the traffic, I listed and sold a custom WordPress theme I was no longer using for $5,000 on the site last two month.

    Now, someone is offering me $30k but I'm insisting on $40k - $55k. Is it wise for me to accept it and move on because I needed to move on fast? Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks
    You're earning about $1,100 ($600 + $500) a month now. Taboola indicates you could be making $1,200 with them. Let's use the latter, higher figure. Assuming your revenue grows by 5% every month, compounded, it would take you 16-17 months to generate $30k. Are you capable of creating a similar site with similar turnover during the same period? Can Palness generate a similar level of income? If yes, then the answer is obvious.

    As far as getting a higher offer, you need metrics to convince potential buyers. Your current metrics suggest that $30k is a generous offer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10954912].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Darlinton Omeh
    Thanks guys, sorry I was away from this post for a while. Your advises really make sense to me.

    My initial plan was never to sell, my plan was to build a great website out of Constative.com.

    But as it stands, it has become obvious I won't be able to run Constative.com and WealthResult.com and still build Palness.com which is my main project. And for the fact I have some debt to settle this month, I just have to sell Constative.com now.

    Here are important facts to consider:-

    1. Without adding any new content, this site will continue to grow over the next one year.
    2. The domain name alone can bring in $10K - $15K in domain aftermarket with the right wait and the right buyer.
    3. There are a lot of monetization potential with its 200k monthly search engine visitors
    4. There are hundreds of articles newly added, well optimized that are yet to rank. Traffic will double when those articles starts ranking over the next 3 months.
    5. Latonas has critically evaluated the site and determined it is worth minimum of $45k and could go as much as $105k if the revenue can be further optimized. But I am so hard pressed right now that I can't wait for all that.
    6. The current writer is willing to work with new owner after the sell for $100 monthly, producing 30 articles per month.

    Considering all these, I am willing to accept anything from $36k. Do you think this is out of place @Faulkner ?

    And I won't mind if any fellow warrior can make me a reasonable offer
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10956106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author frischman
    So what did you decide after all of this? The string started in October and you needed money, and it is now December ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10959148].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Darlinton Omeh
      Originally Posted by frischman View Post

      So what did you decide after all of this? The string started in October and you needed money, and it is now December ...
      To sell it. I wasn't in need of money in October when the conversation started. Just this December that I'm so much in need of money - so much that I'm willing to sell at any reasonable price - any!

      For offers and more details, contact me on: admin[at]palness.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10961828].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics

  • 37 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Tons of Bad Advice In This Thread

    Most people that come to the forum are looking for advice on how to build their business or to otherwise make more money. Thanks to all those willing to help ... [read more]

  • 16 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Internet Marketing VS Network Marketing

    noobz in Internet Marketing

    Last night I was invited to a small meeting and this guy who is in this one Network Marketing company happens to be the speaker. He claimed to make 6 ... [read more]

  • 3 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    PLR (private-label rights) content: is there any site that offers GREAT quality content?

    So I've done some research on this forum and have found people talking about PLR sites like PLRAssassin and IDplr, but I was woefully underwhelmed by the quality of the ... [read more]

  • 6 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Pls help with designer's english domain name

    panpiotr in SEO

    Hello, my name is Piotr Sierant, I am a graphic designer from Poland, working as a freelance designer for 10 years now and ready to go international and make new ... [read more]

  • 1 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Shortening links not working? (bitly, tinyurl, goog.le)

    Ken ny in Internet Marketing

    So I tried shortening some affiliate links but recently it seems like its blocking me from doing so. Does anyone know why? Thanks