Do you think FreeMarket.com can take over Flippa or Sedo?

by allseowork 67 replies
Why I think FreeMarket.com can take over Flippa or Sedo in long term?

Pro's
1. Free Listing
2. A Big Plus: Quality Webmaster Traffic
3. Low commissions (5%)
4. Part of Freelancer.com
5. Big Marketing Budget
6. Easy and simple design

Cons
1. Still a few bugs
2. Lack of features like private messaging and quite a few others.
3. Lack of Escrow
4. Lack of domain selling partners
5. Not targeted towards only domain or only websites.

What you guys think? Is it possible?
#freemarket.com discussion #flippa #freemarketcom #sedo
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author CarLife
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    • Profile picture of the author rhinocl
      I tried to list. Listing opened and closed immediately when I would have set it to 3-8 days. Sent in a ticket. Got no answer but did get a survey asking how well they had answered. Filled it out and told them what I just wrote.Still no response.So not until they fix things.
  • Profile picture of the author modinho
    not getting so many pageviews on my listings... which is not to good
    Signature

    Beautiful Wordpress Themes
    Get 100% Complete Access To Our Entire Collection For Only $39. Visit Homepage

    Affiliates go here: Visit Affiliate Page

  • Profile picture of the author lemonseltzer
    Pro of freemarket is that even if it takes time to reash customer service they are nice and polite and not utterly rude, condescending know it alls like flippa.
    Perhaps because Freemarket is diverse and has global nationalities helping.
    Unlike Flippa.
  • Profile picture of the author msdobe
    Originally Posted by allseowork View Post

    Why I think FreeMarket.com can take over Flippa or Sedo in long term?
    What you guys think? Is it possible?
    Not unless there's some major changes. There's simply too many idiots that list their websites and domains for thousands of dollars (or hundreds of thousands, or even millions) that I wouldn't take if you gave them to me. In an earlier post I suggested charging a $5 non-refundable fee for a listing over $500-$1000.

    Now I change that to charge a non-refundable fee for ANY listing, and the higher the BIN, the higher the listing fee (within reason of course). There are just too many garbage listings - I rarely check it out any more, there's just too much crap to have to go through if you're looking for a decent listing.

    Free isn't always a good thing. Being free has also had an affect on the WF overall. The quality of the site has gone down considerably, IMO.

    Jenny
    Signature

    If you can read this.... thank a teacher.
    If you can read this in English... thank a vet!
    • Profile picture of the author StefanFreeMarket
      Originally Posted by msdobe View Post

      Not unless there's some major changes. There's simply too many idiots that list their websites and domains for thousands of dollars (or hundreds of thousands, or even millions) that I wouldn't take if you gave them to me. In an earlier post I suggested charging a $5 non-refundable fee for a listing over $500-$1000.

      Now I change that to charge a non-refundable fee for ANY listing, and the higher the BIN, the higher the listing fee (within reason of course). There are just too many garbage listings - I rarely check it out any more, there's just too much crap to have to go through if you're looking for a decent listing.

      Free isn't always a good thing. Being free has also had an affect on the WF overall. The quality of the site has gone down considerably, IMO.

      Jenny
      Hey Jenny,

      While we don't have any intention to change our pricing, we are currently working on a couple of new features which will make it much easier to find listings that will interest you. Hoping to get these out in the couple of months, so don't lose faith
  • Profile picture of the author reactorr
    The paid listings filter out junk.
    Looked at FreeMarket for 2 minutes and there's a lot of that.

    If they changed their biz model it would make the difference.

    Until they do, it will be plagued with too many listings.

    Few of value (if any) and unlikely anyone will take the time to go through them all.

    What I would do is charge for those listings, and undercut Flippa on pricing.

    Might mean they have to abandon "FreeMarket" name.
    Hopefully they didn't pay a lot to acquire.

    Or - leave as is, and start another marketplace with paid listings on new domain

    But the free listings is a path to a slow death. It will be the new digitalpoint.

    NOTE:
    Not charge after a sale - charge up front. There is a big difference.

    If its going to work, you need to be more than another marketplace to attract sellers.
    Don't do it on price - do it for value to the seller

    Then you'll attract sellers and quality listings, and buyers will follower.

    It would be of value to sellers if (when they list at reasonable prices) there's a good chance it sells

    That will likely happen through partnerships.
    DomainTools, etc - get some distribution via partners to create sales opps for sellers
    • Profile picture of the author lemonseltzer
      Originally Posted by reactorr View Post


      Might mean they have to abandon "FreeMarket" name.
      Hopefully they didn't pay a lot to acquire.

      Or - leave as is, and start another marketplace with paid listings on new domain
      The given meaning of Free Market in a gloobal sense as nothing to do with things being free.
      The name is perfect.
      The current interface is not.
      Flippa allows people to list domains for free, so total crap names show up unless you pay extra to stand out.
    • Profile picture of the author allseowork
      Originally Posted by reactorr View Post

      The paid listings filter out junk.
      Looked at FreeMarket for 2 minutes and there's a lot of that.

      If they changed their biz model it would make the difference.

      Until they do, it will be plagued with too many listings.

      Few of value (if any) and unlikely anyone will take the time to go through them all.

      What I would do is charge for those listings, and undercut Flippa on pricing.

      Might mean they have to abandon "FreeMarket" name.
      Hopefully they didn't pay a lot to acquire.

      Or - leave as is, and start another marketplace with paid listings on new domain

      But the free listings is a path to a slow death. It will be the new digitalpoint.

      NOTE:
      Not charge after a sale - charge up front. There is a big difference.

      If its going to work, you need to be more than another marketplace to attract sellers.
      Don't do it on price - do it for value to the seller

      Then you'll attract sellers and quality listings, and buyers will follower.

      It would be of value to sellers if (when they list at reasonable prices) there's a good chance it sells

      That will likely happen through partnerships.
      DomainTools, etc - get some distribution via partners to create sales opps for sellers
      Hi Jenny,

      Features like finding the listings with highest bids, finding listings which have their reserve met, listings ending soon, premium listings, and also searching in interested categories are few ways to sort quality and concerned listings.
  • Profile picture of the author smna1586
    The interface needs to be sorted. I don't find it as clear as Flippa. Also I tried to list once before the official launch. The listing went live but it was even hard for me to read it.

    Paragraphs in my description disappeared like it was never there. Limiting it to 5000 characters was not pleasant for me and there was no screenshot of my listing (you need a feature listing to get it). Without screenshot of my site, it was less appealing. That made my free listing worthless.

    The last but not the least, no potential buyers were there to buy my site. I did not expect it to be sold but there were almost zero views (rather than me viewing my own listing without logging in!).

    Will give it another shot when I see it has started functioning as a marketplace (as for now I don't see any potential bids on other featured or non featured listings.)
    • Profile picture of the author StefanFreeMarket
      Originally Posted by smna1586 View Post

      The interface needs to be sorted. I don't find it as clear as Flippa. Also I tried to list once before the official launch. The listing went live but it was even hard for me to read it.

      Paragraphs in my description disappeared like it was never there. Limiting it to 5000 characters was not pleasant for me and there was no screenshot of my listing (you need a feature listing to get it). Without screenshot of my site, it was less appealing. That made my free listing worthless.

      The last but not the least, no potential buyers were there to buy my site. I did not expect it to be sold but there were almost zero views (rather than me viewing my own listing without logging in!).

      Will give it another shot when I see it has started functioning as a marketplace (as for now I don't see any potential bids on other featured or non featured listings.)
      Thanks for the feedback and bringing this to my attention. We have plans to fix the visual appeal of these pages and I'm really looking forward to this change.
  • Profile picture of the author Net66
    Originally Posted by allseowork View Post

    Why I think FreeMarket.com can take over Flippa or Sedo in long term?
    No.

    Andy
    Signature
    What I do - And How I do it. My Personal Blog...
    http://AndyBrocklehurst.com
  • Profile picture of the author Joan Altz
    Too many ridiculous listings showing up on the front page is destroying its credibility.

    The average Joe Buyer won't take the site seriously after viewing that and won't return.

    So no, it has ZERO chance of "taking over" Flippa or Sedo, short term, as it currently stands.

    But these guys are smart enough...they can change the situation by simply getting rid of those stupid listings and improving the user interface. Doing that will help get things kick-started in the right direction...so long term, who knows?
    • Profile picture of the author mattbarrie
      Originally Posted by Joan Altz View Post

      Too many ridiculous listings showing up on the front page is destroying its credibility.

      The average Joe Buyer won't take the site seriously after viewing that and won't return.

      So no, it has ZERO chance of "taking over" Flippa or Sedo, short term, as it currently stands.

      But these guys are smart enough...they can change the situation by simply getting rid of those stupid listings and improving the user interface. Doing that will help get things kick-started in the right direction...so long term, who knows?
      Hi Joan. Thanks for the feedback. We are working on improving the UX with everyone's feedback as we speak.
    • Profile picture of the author Prestonst
      Banned
      [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author SkyJarman
    I think they have damaged their credibility already by releasing too early. They need serious changes to bring a lot of people back. Just my opinion. Who's to say there is even anything they could actually do. I know I was disappointed with the entire experience and I paid for the premium listing. To be fair, maybe my domain name wasn't a very good one. I have different opinions about it.
  • Profile picture of the author lemonseltzer
    It shouldn't be THAT hard to clone Flippa's model and improve it. It's been 6-7 weeks and nothing has been done to bring FM up to snuff.
    Been very patient but it's worn thin at this point.

Trending Topics