Tip for newbies when asking questions.

by laurencewins 22 replies
This post can apply equally well to anybody, but newbies are often more guilty of doing this and it doesn't help them.

I'm talking about asking questions. Regardless of whether you have started a new thread or contributed to an existing one, IF you want help, BE SPECIFIC! I have seen so many threads recently that ask these sorts of questions:

How can I make money for free?
What am I doing wrong?
How can I find good information about XXX (a particular topic).

The list goes on and on but I will try not to do the same.

IF you want to know something, include as much information in your initial thread as possible. There are a lot of people willing to offer opinions/advice but many, myself included, often just go to the next post because we see your new thread as a waste of time.

Help us to help you and you'll get answers faster!
#main internet marketing discussion forum #advice #information #opinions #questions #threads
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Regional Warrior
    Had to move it to the main board to good a read in the OT , they should make this a sticky

    Jason
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11175532].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    Thanks for the compliment. I do believe it will help more people as a sticky too.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Check out my site or Blog. Ask if you have questions.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11175546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamie3000
    "My website NOT ranking for my keywords. TELL ME WHAT WRONG WITH IT!?"
    Signature

    I make FREE SEO/IM Software at www.SupaGrowth.com
    PBN Hunter / Expired Tumblr Hunters / Backlink Finders and more all 100% FREE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11176352].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Regional Warrior
      Originally Posted by jamie3000 View Post

      "My website NOT ranking for my keywords. TELL ME WHAT WRONG WITH IT!?"
      Laurence

      I think he is taking the piss on the fact of the newbie threads always being in CAPS

      Jason
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11176780].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    When you hijack a thread AND YELL, why would people with good manners want to help you?
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Check out my site or Blog. Ask if you have questions.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11176357].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gary Pettit
    I find a lot of newbies are vague or not very specific because they aren't even sure how to ask a specific question that can help them resolve their actual issue. This might not be giving newbies enough credit but I remember when I started 10 years ago, I was completely lost and overwhelmed
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11176682].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    I partly agree with you, Gary. Sometimes they don't know what they don't know.
    However, I strongly believe that many newbies can still include more specific information that will help us help them.

    I'm glad I did write this thread now as it has opened up a great discussion. I hope If it helps even one person, it has done its job.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Check out my site or Blog. Ask if you have questions.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11176772].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    There's one in every crowd, Jason. I tend to ignore clowns and help those who want to be helped (if I can as I'm not an expert). But someone once said:
    "A smart person uses not only all the brains he/she has, but all the brains they can borrow."
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Check out my site or Blog. Ask if you have questions.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11176784].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by jamie3000 View Post

    "My website NOT ranking for my keywords. TELL ME WHAT WRONG WITH IT!?"
    That's simple - Google hates you...

    Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

    There's one in every crowd, Jason. I tend to ignore clowns and help those who want to be helped (if I can as I'm not an expert). But someone once said:
    "A smart person uses not only all the brains he/she has, but all the brains they can borrow."
    Or, as one of my college profs liked to say, "ain't none of us as smart as all of us."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11177310].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWaters
    Yes indeed he makes a good point about people (newbies as well as others) asking vague questions. You will then see foldks who are tryingto help have to follow up with a lot of question because they need that specific info to provide a good answer.


    Another thing I see all the time is a brand new newbie asking something on this forum instead of looking up the info that is already here. For example they might ask "should I do use Bing ads?'. If they had used the search feature instead and used the keywords "Bing ads" they would find tons of info, lots of threads and posts that discuss that topic. It is a much better way to find info on this forum. Starting one thread with a simple question will yield much less information.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11177436].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Regional Warrior
      Originally Posted by DWaters View Post

      Yes indeed he makes a good point about people (newbies as well as others) asking vague questions. You will then see foldks who are tryingto help have to follow up with a lot of question because they need that specific info to provide a good answer.


      Another thing I see all the time is a brand new newbie asking something on this forum instead of looking up the info that is already here. For example they might ask "should I do use Bing ads?'. If they had used the search feature instead and used the keywords "Bing ads" they would find tons of info, lots of threads and posts that discuss that topic. It is a much better way to find info on this forum. Starting one thread with a simple question will yield much less information.
      D
      I think the reason for that is too many have been spoon fed by the sig spammers it had become the norm but things are changing now lot of threads are being deleted asking questions that have been asked an nausim

      Jason
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11177581].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ken ny
    Do own research and then ask questions, no one is going to hand feed you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11177463].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JasonTheFreeman
    Thanks for this post Laurence! I'll keep this in mind if I ever decide to ask a question.

    Being specific always makes conversations better even in real life. It saves a lot of time because the people who will answer don't have to ask for more info before they answer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11177678].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Spot on, Laurence. Better-quality questions usually prompt better-quality answers.

    Another worthwhile by-product of being more specific with questions is that it promotes clarity of thought - or at least encourages those asking to think a bit more about what it is they want. That might turn a vague making money online question into a more practical one about a particular aspect of marketing.

    Not only would the responses be more useful to the OP, but the discussion would likely be of more benefit to others following the thread.
    Signature
    I've just put Richard Branson's number on speed-dial. I call it my "Get-Rich-Quick" scheme.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11178118].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    I agree, Frank. I also find that if I'm very busy and I see questions that are vague, I'm less inclined to respond because I have to ask multiple questions to learn what the OP really wants.
    I also agree that it makes the thread more helpful because the next reader may want the same information.
    I'll have a think about what questions I have had recently and include them here as examples of what NOT to do and tips to turn them into better posts or threads.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Check out my site or Blog. Ask if you have questions.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11178142].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    Does anybody else have an opinion on this subject?
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Check out my site or Blog. Ask if you have questions.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11183330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    I have noticed quite a few new threads from people who may benefit from reading this thread. It's particularly relevant for new members but also serves as a reminder for more experienced members.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Check out my site or Blog. Ask if you have questions.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11193976].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Some newbies need to realize they are not smarter than the members and moderators who have been on this forum for years.

    If you join the WF and sincerely try to learn a bit on your own and asked questions politely when you run into a 'glitch' - you'll be surprised at how many members are more than willing to help you.

    When you join and lie about where you are located - when you post like crazy rather than use the search to help yourself - when you can't keep your stories straight from one thread to another....someone here will notice.

    Trying to 'game' the forum and its members is really dumb because you waste what could be a valuable resource.
    Signature

    Saving one dog may not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11193997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    Well said, Kay, and you're one fine example of somebody who helps so many people, whether it's useful help or "tough love" (which some members sorely need).
    The more senior members and moderators of this forum have decades of experience and if you're new and follow the rules of the forum and try to help yourself before asking for help, you'll get all the help you need.

    Everybody started somewhere!
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Check out my site or Blog. Ask if you have questions.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11193999].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      The more senior members and moderators of this forum have decades of experience and if you're new and follow the rules of the forum and try to help yourself before asking for help, you'll get all the help you need.
      I see two kinds of threads; those I believe have a chance of success and those who don't have a prayer.

      In the latter, I post general information that I feel will help others who may read it, not necessarily the OP.

      If the OP demonstrates that they are taking action, putting in an effort and having problems (we all do) then I try my best to explain everything I know on the subject and will go out of my way to help.

      I'll wager I can tell with 99% accuracy if a poster has a chance of building a successful business based on the first post I read.

      Take care, Mate!

      Brent
      Signature
      Affiliate Video Pack Includes Everything You Need To Create Multiple Income Streams! [Only $1]
      Get Yours Right Now! >>>
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11194010].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

    This post can apply equally well to anybody, but newbies are often more guilty of doing this and it doesn't help them.

    I'm talking about asking questions. Regardless of whether you have started a new thread or contributed to an existing one, IF you want help, BE SPECIFIC! I have seen so many threads recently that ask these sorts of questions:

    How can I make money for free?
    What am I doing wrong?
    How can I find good information about XXX (a particular topic).

    The list goes on and on but I will try not to do the same.

    IF you want to know something, include as much information in your initial thread as possible. There are a lot of people willing to offer opinions/advice but many, myself included, often just go to the next post because we see your new thread as a waste of time.

    Help us to help you and you'll get answers faster!
    Agreed.
    Often there are too many broad questions which are impossible to answer.
    "How do I make money", etc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11194013].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by ChrisBa View Post

      Agreed.
      Often there are too many broad questions which are impossible to answer.
      "How do I make money", etc
      That and "what is the best [whatever]"

      It's like the old barroom debates - Ginger or Maryanne, Betty or Wilma, etc. Everybody has an opinion, and without knowing any specifics, each opinion is worth about what it costs.

      It does bring out the spammers, link droppers and sig pimps, though...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11196653].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics

  • 56 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Better/cheaper solution than Mailchimp?

    Hi all, I have an e-commerce on Squarespace and I make my own product (jewelry). I want to start building an email list in order to promote 1 great offer ... [read more]

  • 59 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Are you the Warrior of the Month?

    so.....we are launching the Warrior of the Month mini competition... Yes... every Month we will announce who was the Warrior with the most valuable post. This is our own small ... [read more]

  • 8 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    My product idea exists nowhere, am I fooling myself here?

    A business partner and I have invested in clickbank university. In the vendor program they have you explore the clickbank marketplace and look to see if your idea/passion/etc is listed. ... [read more]

  • 3 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Are solo ads worth all the hype?

    K40water in Internet Marketing

    How many of you use solo ads for driving traffic? Do you have any other sources of traffic that you prefer? What is the most newbie friendly method of traffic ... [read more]

  • 1 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Online subscription box - Best way to import products into the UK from Canada

    er90 in eCommerce

    Hi warrior's, thanks for taking time to read this post! My question is regarding cost of bringing goods into the UK from Canada as well as using a distribution company ... [read more]