Joining forums is a powerful way to build your voice as one of expertise.
There are several key features in building a name for yourself in a forum. I've worked over a few different areas over the last few years, and discovered some methods- which I'll share.
Are there ones I've missed?
1. Sit backand read, without posting for a good while. Findout the people who are recognised as the leaders- either officially, or not.
2. look at the posts that get the most views and repsonses and think about your take on them.
3. start by contributing to the threads you cna really asssit with. be personable and friendly
4. interact with the "leaders' as much as posible,but even more so,interact with the "second level" leaders, the upand comings. thes eones have a good stadning but aren't "alpha" about thier positinon. A new person coming in trying to get the attention of a top dog can comeacross a teeny bit "brown nosy"
5. Build relationships behind the scenes and make a group of people you cna relate with
6. Try to be the same person youare offline when talking online. People can spot a fake, evne if they don't know how
7. Take your time,and remember building long term relationships is far more powerfulthan quick thrills
(and you can keep all my typos )