I was inspired by JD Swanson on flipping websites. But I do it with a twist. Instead of creating using normal HTML templates, I use Wordpress. Instead of using unique content, I use PLR articles. I am lazy... ;-)
Some say website flipping is not the best way to make money because it involves hard work. I say, what the heck, because it gives me instant cash. In a matter of a few days (less than a week), I can make $90-$200 just by using this approach.
Furthermore, this is the way how freelance writers work. And they are all over marketplaces such as eLance, Guru, GetAFreelancer. It’s something that you should consider, especially if you are strapped for cash.
In a nutshell, you create a website with PLR articles. And you sell the website for instant cash.
Here’s how to do it - step by step.
Step 1: Choose a topic
With this approach (by using PLR articles), you don’t need to do a thorough niche selection because the work has already done for you by the person who created the PLR content. All the topics of your PLR are good. But personally, I find health and hobby related sites sell better.
Step 2: Create a website
To setup a content site, I prefer using a blog than normal HTML sites. Because it’s easy and flexible. I can use many free templates available online, not to mention some useful plugins that I use to enhance the perceived value of the site. Here’s what I do to setup the blog:
• Register a domain name. Preferably keyword rich domain. I will do a search in free Wordtracker or Keyword Discovery tool and look for ideas for my domain. I will register a .com or .net domain if possible.
• Create a new webhosting account. For an easy transfer to the future buyer, I would encourage you to have a separate webhosting account for this site. I sign up for a reseller account whereby I can create unlimited webhosting accounts as and when I need - at a fixed cost.
• Install Worpdress. By using the Fantastico in cPanel of your webhost, it makes installing Wordpress a snap. Sometimes, to make the site more complete, I will install forum on the site. Pick a WP theme that is suitable for your topic by searching online. Try themes by Brian Gardner or Chris Pearson.
• Install plugins. Plugins I use for creating websites to flip are Adsense Manager, Tubepress video, and Contact Form.
• Add content. With Wordpress, it’s easy to post articles to the website because you don’t need to know HTML codes and FTP. Use what you have from your PLR library to create content for your website. I will have 10 – 20 articles posted. You must read the terms that come with your PLR articles before posting these articles.
Step 3: Sell the website
You can use either Site Point or Digital Point to sell your website. Both have it’s own pluses and minuses. For Site Point, you have to pay to list your website for sale. For Digital Point, you have to make at least 20 posts before you can put up your site for sale. When I started out, I used Site Point because I couldn’t wait to fulfill the minimum posts on Digital Point. For a content site like this, you can sell between $90 - $200 a site. You can fetch higher price if you have more pages of content (say 30) and other features like forum, videos, sitemap, contact us form.
Sad but true, now you can’t get a price as high as before. But as long as you can cover your cost (domain name – around $10, PLR - negligible, webhosting - negligible) and make a good profit, there’s no reason you shouldn’t do this.
Again, this is not a long term business model but it’s excellent in generating instant cash.
SIDENOTE: There’s a great post in this forum on how to make flipping a long term business:
The Warrior Forum - How can Flipping Websites be a Long Term Business?