Turning Something You Did For Free Into Millions

by Buildingfutures 7 replies
Now, this isn't about me. We'll just get that out of the way right now.

What I'm talking about is the game called Minecraft.

It was created by Markus Presson. It's a relatively simple game that is currently in its beta stages right now. It's not the prettiest game in the world by far, there's no storyline, there's not much, really. Just you, a world, and endless possibilities of what you can build and create.

What was originally a free creative game, turned into a larger projects for Mojang Specifications (Markus Presson's company, with seven employees) turned into a larger than life internet phenomenon that just steamrolled past many other Indie developers.

The company has made over $20 million dollars in sales during the pre-release beta sales. Over 1 million users bought the beta, and many more still continue to buy it.

It's been featured in gaming magazines, and even been called 'Unofficial Game OF the Year'. Why?

Because even with its lack of story, original characters, and any kind of plot line, there are over one million users, just like myself, who can easily spend 6-8 hours on the game in one sitting.

I actually bought in during the Alpha testing, and get all updates free for life.

The message here is simple, you don't have to have the 'industry best' to be the best in the industry. You just need a unique idea that people can truly latch onto.

In a little under a year this company and its workers went from nothing to $20 million in sales.

I think that's all the proof anyone needs that you CAN make money online, and there is huge money out there for anyone who wants to work hard and get their dreams to come true.

-Sean
#main internet marketing discussion forum #free #millions #turning
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author paulie888
    Originally Posted by Buildingfutures View Post

    Now, this isn't about me. We'll just get that out of the way right now.

    What I'm talking about is the game called Minecraft.

    It was created by Markus Presson. It's a relatively simple game that is currently in its beta stages right now. It's not the prettiest game in the world by far, there's no storyline, there's not much, really. Just you, a world, and endless possibilities of what you can build and create.

    What was originally a free creative game, turned into a larger projects for Mojang Specifications (Markus Presson's company, with seven employees) turned into a larger than life internet phenomenon that just steamrolled past many other Indie developers.

    The company has made over $20 million dollars in sales during the pre-release beta sales. Over 1 million users bought the beta, and many more still continue to buy it.

    It's been featured in gaming magazines, and even been called 'Unofficial Game OF the Year'. Why?

    Because even with its lack of story, original characters, and any kind of plot line, there are over one million users, just like myself, who can easily spend 6-8 hours on the game in one sitting.

    I actually bought in during the Alpha testing, and get all updates free for life.

    The message here is simple, you don't have to have the 'industry best' to be the best in the industry. You just need a unique idea that people can truly latch onto.

    In a little under a year this company and its workers went from nothing to $20 million in sales.

    I think that's all the proof anyone needs that you CAN make money online, and there is huge money out there for anyone who wants to work hard and get their dreams to come true.

    -Sean
    Thanks for sharing, Sean. The internet is still ripe with opportunities, and there are more developing every day, but you just have to open up your eyes to all the possibilities out there.

    I'll leave you with a parting thought here - the more mainstream a niche is, and the larger the target market, then the possibility of huge profits becomes much higher.

    It's time to pull our heads out of the sand and start looking at bigger niches outside of IM, where the real money is made online. There's no need to even be a "guru" to profit wildly in these niches, and some people have become multimillionaires while remaining pretty anonymous on the internet.
    Signature
    >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3173572].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author YseUp
      Originally Posted by paulie888 View Post

      It's time to pull our heads out of the sand and start looking at bigger niches outside of IM, where the real money is made online. There's no need to even be a "guru" to profit wildly in these niches, and some people have become multimillionaires while remaining pretty anonymous on the internet.
      I certainly hope so!

      I'd like to think that most people on here earn money from niches OTHER THAN how to make money line.

      I'd be disappointed if it were any other way.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3173678].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulie888
        Originally Posted by YseUp View Post

        I certainly hope so!

        I'd like to think that most people on here earn money from niches OTHER THAN how to make money line.

        I'd be disappointed if it were any other way.
        I certainly hope so, as I truly feel that they're limiting themselves unnecessarily by remaining confined to just this one niche.

        Paul
        Signature
        >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3173689].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
    I've been saying this for ages... think outside the box and go after different markets.

    Skilled people (like vast majority of us in here) have the ability to analyze and test a idea pretty fast with a little investment. Do it, test it and go after that gold outside the IM niche.
    Signature
    People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3173768].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulie888
      Originally Posted by Fernando Veloso View Post

      I've been saying this for ages... think outside the box and go after different markets.

      Skilled people (like vast majority of us in here) have the ability to analyze and test a idea pretty fast with a little investment. Do it, test it and go after that gold outside the IM niche.
      Fernando, not only are these niches more lucrative, you don't have to market to them as extensively/intensively as is typically required in the IM niche, simply because haven't been exposed to all the slick marketing tricks and techniques that are prevalent in IM!
      Signature
      >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3173891].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LetsGoViral
    How do you know they made over 20 million? I did the math and the number seems lower, besides - Swedish taxes are a pain! But the game is good.
    Signature
    Time of thinking is over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3174813].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Buildingfutures
      Originally Posted by LetsGoViral View Post

      How do you know they made over 20 million? I did the math and the number seems lower, besides - Swedish taxes are a pain! But the game is good.

      I know they did over $20 million because they recently hit 1,004,464 registered (paid) users. Times that by the $19.95 it costs to get into the game right now and you have $20,039,056.8 in sales so far.

      The possibilities are endless with the internet. Maybe we should all step back from IM and take a look at other niches?

      Maybe I should get my arse back in gear to start trying to make my own games and the like, haha!

      -Sean
      Signature

      Simple Mission Statement "Under the Radar and Over the Top!"
      Sean's Guide To The Forum
      Thoughts of a 22 Year Old Marketer

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3174882].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics

  • 8 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    John Mueller just called SEMRush a "Blackhat Scraper"

    Article here: https://goo.gl/KTL5sC Provoking the thought here: Considering that most, if not all SEO and Content writers consider SEMRush, Moz, RankRanger and other various scraping and SEO tools to be ... [read more]

  • 2 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Can i outrank this type of compititor

    akashch47 in SEO

    I just created a new blog, and I found a keyword, and when I checked top 10 competition myself, I saw all of their content is poorly optimized for on ... [read more]

  • 2 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    How do you overcome hopelessness?

    mge in Personal Development

    Overcoming hopelessness | Nick Vujicic |...

  • 6 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    How do you test your affiliate links to ensure they work/convert?

    NYPHILLY in Internet Marketing

    I want to test out my affiliate link to make sure that it actually converts of first-page submit because the last campaign I ran, my link did not work and ... [read more]

  • 148 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Tons of Bad Advice In This Thread

    Most people that come to the forum are looking for advice on how to build their business or to otherwise make more money. Thanks to all those willing to help ... [read more]