Why Do You Believe So Many Newbie’s fail?

by TJCarter 39 replies
The reason’s I believe that so many people who venture into internet marketing fail is because a lot of newbie's will have high expectations of earning a lot of money fast from the internet. They have the mindset of believing that success will come easy. This will usually not happen, and they will end up getting frustrated and quit.

Fail to take action. Surprisingly many people who are starting out in Internet Marketing have the mindset that they don't need to take massive action or work hard in order to succeed.

They may also believe it is too expensive; you will not have to break the bank in order to set up your own internet business. There is loads of free info on the net that can help you get started.

What are your thoughts?
#main internet marketing discussion forum #fail #newbie’s
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author hashif16
    Originally Posted by TJCarter View Post

    The reason’s I believe that so many people who venture into internet marketing fail is because a lot of newbie's will have high expectations of earning a lot of money fast from the internet. They have the mindset of believing that success will come easy. This will usually not happen, and they will end up getting frustrated and quit.

    Fail to take action. Surprisingly many people who are starting out in Internet Marketing have the mindset that they don't need to take massive action or work hard in order to succeed.

    They may also believe it is too expensive; you will not have to break the bank in order to set up your own internet business. There is loads of free info on the net that can help you get started.

    What are your thoughts?
    You are right, majority think they would become millionaires with in a short period of time, also they do not stick on one thing..
    Signature
    Make offer Via Pm:QUALIENT.COM for sale
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wealthyclark
    Because they give up too fast, earning money online requires determination, especially when starting from scratch. It took me years to to finally get into a real groove but I was determined because I seen the potential. I guess I'm one of the few blessed with tunnel vision.
    Signature
    Now Accepting All Countries! Earn $5.10 Per Free Referral, Totally Free To Participate!
    WealthyClark.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809599].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author steven90210
      Originally Posted by Wealthyclark View Post

      Because they give up too fast, earning money online requires determination, especially when starting from scratch. It took me years to to finally get into a real groove but I was determined because I seen the potential. I guess I'm one of the few blessed with tunnel vision.
      Same applies here. At first i struggled, but now I have been doing quite well as a full time internet marketer.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author desmond11
    They don't treat this like a business. It's sold to them as an "earn $20k per month with a push of a button" and don't take enough action.

    My best bit of advice is to follow the top sellers on here. Create an email swipe file and see how they run their businesses.

    Here's a good video explanation of the technique:

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809604].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterkailo
    Biggest reason is lack of commitment and jumping from one program to the next!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809605].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hashif16
      Originally Posted by misterkailo View Post

      Biggest reason is lack of commitment and jumping from one program to the next!
      Agree, lack of commitment is the main reason...
      Signature
      Make offer Via Pm:QUALIENT.COM for sale
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809826].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
    I agree with all of the above I think they come into IM thinking they will make lots of money and that it will be easy. When they realize that it isn't so easy they give up, or look for the next easy thing.

    I've done it myself, moving from one thing to another always looking for something better and easier and not giving one project enough time and effort to make it work.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paulwilson123
    Hi TJ

    What you have stated is correct....Newbies listen to the figures and expect to earn big money fast.

    As with any business offline or online it takes time to build the knowledge and experience..however this shouldnt put anybody off starting an online business.

    I run an offline business and have been doing so for 11 years, however, when I first started I had no money, no contacts, no work to start and a new born baby....what I did have was the determination and "mindset" and dream of running a business.

    I have had many ups and downs over the last 11 years, but have got to a very fortunate position where I have a good offline business, where I am earning a good living.

    I am now putting the same principles into building my online business....

    Now Im not saying it takes 11 years to be successful with an online business, what Im saying is that it takes commitment, focus and the determination to succeed.

    Any newbie should look for a mentor or team to learn from, focus on learning from their mentors and most of all take constant action

    The reason for me to start an online business???? My offline business is to stressful, time consuming, to much risk....yadda, yadda, yadda

    Everybody has to start somewhere - mentoring - focus - goals - constant action - commitment..follow somebody who is succesful and you will be succesful

    Thanks TJ
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    simple I use to be a newbie.

    But here is how I moved up and made a full time income

    1) stop screwing around, watching tv, cleaning, making excuses

    2) pull your finger out, and build html pages

    3) Send all your traffic to squeeze page (BUILD LIST, think this constantly)

    4) Offer help to your prospects free. Get them to trust you.

    5) Go back to step 1 and repeat.

    That is all I did, its more about taking massive action in my eye.

    But I know about 2% of people do that. So thanks for less competition

    To the other 2% go hard, and congrats you are already half way there, do not stop.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809643].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
      Originally Posted by celente View Post

      simple I use to be a newbie.

      But here is how I moved up and made a full time income

      1) stop screwing around, watching tv, cleaning, making excuses
      Ok, you've convinced me, I'll stop cleaning - I don't think my husband will be too impressed but that's ok, I don't mind
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809650].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TJCarter
        That's right l agree with all of you. The biggest mistake newbie's make is that they are trying to learn too many things at once. Newbie's keep buying product after product related to internet marketing. (Looking for the magic button program) have you ever noticed that when you buy one product related to internet marketing, a few days later there always seems to be some "next big thing" that you absolutely MUST have... and then another one...

        I do find that Newbie's seem to buy one product and only give it a week or two for it to work then they will move onto the next product and so on and so on. The end result being failure. If I’m honest with you l was exactly the same.

        My advice to anyone who is just starting out is if you buy an information product that will teach you how to make money online by using Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Article Marketing, etc become an expert of that one technique (for example article marketing) then once your making money online from that technique then you should move on a learn a new method to making money online.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809823].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author magnates
        Wrong expectation -Been sold the idea that would make loads of money fast and when that does not happen as soon asthey would like they just
        They won't keep at it enough to succeed

        Wasting time on activities that do not matter- Wasting time on activities that do not produce income like facebooking friends , watching tv , reading blogs and learning the latest and greatest new marketing trick

        stick to one method UNTIL you make money
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809833].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author iced$ugar
          Hmm... what's strange is that some people believe that "online" is somehow divorced from "real life" and none of the rules apply. Yes, we all might have had those dreams of push button software, but money still doesn't grow on trees....
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809868].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BizBest
    We have been told lies and lies and lies just to get money from us....hang the gurus!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Jordan
    They don't persevere long enough to get the results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3809912].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hari12345
    Originally Posted by TJCarter View Post

    The reason’s I believe that so many people who venture into internet marketing fail is because a lot of newbie's will have high expectations of earning a lot of money fast from the internet. They have the mindset of believing that success will come easy. This will usually not happen, and they will end up getting frustrated and quit.

    Fail to take action. Surprisingly many people who are starting out in Internet Marketing have the mindset that they don't need to take massive action or work hard in order to succeed.

    They may also believe it is too expensive; you will not have to break the bank in order to set up your own internet business. There is loads of free info on the net that can help you get started.

    What are your thoughts?
    Yes i agree with you friend. I too had the same thought that i can easily earn money online after struggling a lot i thought of quitting it......Then especially mind warriors part of this forum has changed my mind....No i have started earning...Thanks to warrior forum
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3810126].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fisholiub
      There are many reason why people fail to become rich.

      1.Laziness
      2.Bad habits
      3.Lack of education
      4.Lack of guidance
      5.Lack of experience
      6.Bad attitude
      7.Bad influence from friends and family
      8.Lack of focus
      9.Lack of determination
      10.Lack of courage
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3810177].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
      They've only failed when they quit!

      Quitters never win, winners never quit!

      So any newbies out there still trying haven't failed, they're like a baby learning to walk!

      Fall down, get back up, fall down, get back up ... then fall down again.

      Then one day...

      OMG! The baby is walking, and isn't falling over anymore!!!!!!!!!!!
      Signature
      'If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.' Vincent Van Gogh.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3810190].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Franklin
    They look at unwanted results as failures and not learning experiences...Big BIG difference!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812140].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author James Clark
      They fail because they don't know how to sell. Even if they were a face to face salesperson for their whole life, like I was, they still have to learn how to do it with words. Completely different ball game.

      But they never think about where to start. Now, if I had to start all over I would learn about Market Research, AND THEN TAKE A WRITING COURSE.

      Some of you might say, "I know how to write already" Well things have change seen we were in school (smile)

      The third thing would be to learn as much as you can about Direct Response Marketing. After that then you would be ready for the WF.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812329].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rajivkumar900
    In my opinion people dont get it things due to lack of below factors.
    1. Focus Action
    2. Proper planning
    3.paralysis of analysis.
    4. Right Guidence or direction.

    first newbie need to select something and then follow above steps in order to get success.
    Signature

    Rajiv Kumar
    Skpe: rajivkumar900
    Email id : rajivkumar900@gmail.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812402].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SB274
    Here is my take from personal experience:

    First you have to think about why people jump into the IM world.
    1. Some people are currently employed and looking to earn more money.
    2. Others are unemployed and need money yesterday.
    And many other reasons as well...

    So they are searching the Internet and see some fancy sales page that tells them they can make millions in 10 days by clicking their mouse 37 times.

    That leads to problem #1: Unrealistic expectations (for them most part)

    Then they buy X product and expect to make money instantly. But they haven't gone through the steep learning curve yet.

    That leads to problem #2: Underestimating the learning/work involved to be successful in IM.

    Then, as many people know...only a small percentage of people follow through with what they learned.

    Which leads to problem #3: Not taking action.

    And then most likely then will be surfing the web and see some other fancy sales page that promises the same thing, but makes it sound easier... and this time their are fancy pictures and screenshots on the sales page.

    Leading to problem #4: Jumping from product to product.

    And so, after spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars on products that are suppose to make them millionaires, only to not take what they learn and commit to applying it, they give up.

    Im sure there are many more reasons, but that is what I feel like so many newbies fail.
    Signature
    "Make it so today is not like yesterday, and tomorrow will be different forever." -Anthony Robbins
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812499].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jacob Hargreave
      In all my years of marketing, I indeed have seen much of what you have all described and If I may I would like to share a bit of a revelation I had many years ago of what I still believe to be the cause of what you have all described. This one thing has become so much of an obstacle for beginners and veterans a like.

      The one thing that causes failure is simply an absence of Direction. Look at this as if financial independence or what ever goal the person had in mind was a physical destination. The majority simply choose the most attractive vehicle (money making opportunity, job, etc) and just drive expecting the vehicle to lead them to that final destination. As you all know this is impossible without some sort of navigation.

      Now there are some beginners that have direction before they get into marketing these people are usually successful, but what about those that don't? Are they simply doomed to failure or is there a way to ensure their success. I believe there is and If I may I would like to share this nugget with you as I am positive you will reflect on it eventually.

      Whether you teach other marketers, recruit distributors, etc. You must always, and I mean always evaluate their direction. If the person has no direction (it's very easy to observe a person with no direction) you have one of two options. Simply say I am sorry, but I don't think this is something for you, or give them a direction!

      I recommend the latter for two reasons. Reason one is simple, you are making a difference in that person's life and are improving their chances a thousand times over to be a success.

      Reason two, quoting from the late Emanuel Rohn senior and his son Emanuel James Rohn (better known to most as Jim Rohn)

      "Always do more than what you get paid for to make an investment in your future."

      This principle, one of which I live by will yield so much more success not just for you, but for those you work with as well. I think it's amazing that simply putting a little direction in someone's life can make them go so far.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812871].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesGw
    They're too easily discouraged and don't learn the basics. I don't think new marketers should be spending a bunch of money on products and guides. They need to read discussions and work. It's the best way to find out what works for THEM, not some soi-disant "guru."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebPen
    DEFINITELY jumping from one thing to another.

    I've tried just about everything- PPC, PPV, SEO, article marketing, etc.

    Where has it gotten me?

    Sure, I've made a few K,but not NEARLY as much as the guys I know who focus on one thing.

    For example, I've found myself talking to a super affiliate who had never heard of SENuke , and had to explain what PLR is to another...

    In other words, the guys who are doing extremely well aren't surfing around for the hottest new trend. They're sticking to what they know and rocking it.

    Soooo with that, I'm getting off this forum and back to work :-p
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812731].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rajivkumar900
      LOL i found this secret after going through 1000's of ebooks, 100's of hours spending on warrior forum, and most important after 1.5 year of hard work..i got this fact..focus is ultimate thing which cant be avoided..

      focus Action and right planning can lead to anyone on success track.

      last thing one should know what he/she is doing.
      most of the time people dont know what they are doing and why they are doing so..they just blindly follow something and leave it in mid way when they lost excitment for any reason or problem they face.
      Rajiv

      Originally Posted by AYoungMillionaire View Post

      DEFINITELY jumping from one thing to another.

      I've tried just about everything- PPC, PPV, SEO, article marketing, etc.

      Where has it gotten me?

      Sure, I've made a few K,but not NEARLY as much as the guys I know who focus on one thing.

      For example, I've found myself talking to a super affiliate who had never heard of SENuke , and had to explain what PLR is to another...

      In other words, the guys who are doing extremely well aren't surfing around for the hottest new trend. They're sticking to what they know and rocking it.

      Soooo with that, I'm getting off this forum and back to work :-p
      Signature

      Rajiv Kumar
      Skpe: rajivkumar900
      Email id : rajivkumar900@gmail.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812943].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author coalminer
        Do I want to get up at 6am,for 6 days a week, to work my butt off for 10 hours a day for peanuts, for another 30years?????!!!!!!!
        Or do I want to put a few years of hard work in now to do what the hell I want to do for the next 30years?????
        Thats the 2 simple questions that I would tell any newbie to ask themselves...
        and they are the 2 simple questions that are keeping me going until I succeed!
        Peace.... Nicky
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3813141].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LegionNate
    Barrier of entry is very low. There will always be mass failure when that's the case. Supply and Demand, not enough for everyone. Whatever you want to call it.
    Signature

    Do you have Buyer IM leads? We have sales floors with Great DPL. PM me.


    The Warrior Forum

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812858].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    Having worked with dozens of newbies just from the Warrior forum in the past 8 years, I have learned that many fail because:

    1. Wrong mindset: This is around 95 to 99% of the people that I have personally dealt with, coached, or mentored. They want results and they want them yesterday without having to work very hard for it. Roughly 9 out of every 10 people that I gave assignments to do never finished them because it was "too much work".

    2. Never finishing a project: I've seen many people, myself included when I first got started, jump from one ebook to the next DVD course to the next seminar, and back to the latest WP plug in. Even the ones that have started a project rarely give it enough time to build any momentum.

    3. They're only selling / marketing one or two products. As a general rule of thumb, having a comprehensive product mix with a well-executed back end strategy is going to generate anywhere from 20% to 90% of your profits!

    4. They skipped market research - I'm appalled at how many people jump into business without learning more about the market they decide to go into.

    5. They're focused on money makers and not building a business built on solid business and marketing principles - This one explains itself.

    6. Not managing distractions - This could range from watching too much TV, hanging around the wrong people, playing too many video games, or having an unsupportive significant other.

    7. They don't test or track their results - In some instances a 1% difference in conversions can spell the difference between going in the red or making a profit. Unless people track their traffic, they don't know what they don't know.

    8. Blaming others and outside forces for their failures - I've had my share of purchasing crappy products and I used to blame them for not succeeding. But then, I decided to pay close attention to what was working for people. And that's when I started making money. But it didn't start until I stopped blaming others or other outside forces for my troubles.

    The first thing I looked at was advertisements. Where were people spending their advertising dollars on Google, Yahoo, Bing, Facebook, etc. I would check advertisements on niche websites and took notes on the same ones appearing over and over again.

    These are just a few off the top of my head.

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812914].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theory expert
    Banned
    So many variables to failing that if one person had the answer and bottle it they would be a zillionaire.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812931].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hskrdoo
    Being a newbie, I have a different take on why new people fail: lack of traffic.

    Here's the way I look at it. There are thousands of people that hear about internet marketing and actually do something about it. They create an ebook or offer some type of service. Many might actually put many painstaking hours into it (I'm speaking from experience). So once their product is ready to sell, they hit the traffic roadblock. Zero traffic = Zero sales and Zero sales = a feeling of failure.

    Newcomers have absolutely NO idea how to get traffic to their sites! Many use PPC but that usually does not work because they have no idea how to create a successful ad or choose effective keywords.

    After PPC where do they go? I have always heard that the money is in the list but in order to create a list, you need people to access your site and fill out your form.

    So I guess I'm saying that you could have the best product in the world, with copy written by one of the world's elite copywriters and still fail because you are invisible to customers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812983].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      I agree with many posts above.

      I'll add what I "always say", on this subject: that many of these reasons why people fail can be simplified almost into one central problem of why it's so difficult for people, and why they do get disillusioned so easily in the early stages: misinformation arousing unrealistic expectations.

      At the start, one doesn't (and almost "can't") have enough judgement to know whom to believe and whom to dismiss.

      The success-rate in internet marketing (just like the success-rate in any other form of self-employment) is low. More fail than succeed. Many people who are "teaching"/"explaining"/"opining"/whatever are doing little more than repeating what they've heard/read others "teaching"/"explaining"/"opining"/whatever.

      For this reason, the "general consensus of opinion" about a relevant issue is always quite likely to be a mistaken one.

      The urban myths of internet marketing are everywhere.

      Truly the blind are often leading the partially sighted.

      And that makes it very difficult for people.

      My own field of affiliate marketing, in particular, is like a hurdle race: either one puts in a "clear round" or one doesn't. But when one doesn't, one often isn't told and can't know at which hurdle(s) one fell. Many will try to advise/teach, without themselves knowing at which hurdle(s) people are falling. This compounds the problem.

      Many people fall off the learning curve without ever really understanding at what stage they fell off, and why.

      No individual part of the learning curve is, in itself, particularly steep or impassable ... but there are an awful lot of them. And when you don't know exactly where you've fallen off and why, that sometimes makes it very difficult to get back on and go round the hurdle-course again and achieve a significantly different outcome.

      I think the single most important thing for people to do (even though I don't offer much concrete advice on how they should do it, having been lucky with it, myself) is to try somehow to develop the judgement necessary to decide by whom to be guided - and, I venture to suggest, the instincts to appreciate the underlying reasons behind the counter-intuitive outcome that minority views are commonly far better informed than majority ones.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3813049].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author limestone614
    Why do so many fail?

    1. The expectation of instant riches.
    2. The lack of knowledge.
    3. Giving up way too soon.

    I have spent the last 8 weeks building a few Amazon niche sites. The first couple were pretty ugly, but they rank ok and they convert. (Made over $100 in 44 days, so I am happy)

    Guess what though, I learn fast and now my sites are beginning to look pretty aswell.
    Guess what though, I'll just keep plodding along. NEVER QUIT.

    Only Google knows what kind of day i'm having.....
    Signature
    The Best Organic Traffic Solutions.
    For yours, take the next step: Visit Safeserps
    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3813099].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DireStraits
    The same three main reasons, I think, that are at the root of most people's failings in life (order of precedence differs from case-to-case, though): Stupidity, Fear & Laziness.

    Harsh, but I tell no lie.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3813163].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by DireStraits View Post

      Stupidity, Fear & Laziness.

      Harsh, but I tell no lie.
      "Harsh" ... has been called.

      (And has arrived! )
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3813206].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author grumpyb
    People are brain washed by TV. Here in Australia its almost certain that at least once a week there will be a news story on someone who gave up their job to run an on line business or who was facing bankruptcy and became a millionaire on line.
    They make it seem so easy.
    I am not in IM as such but I do play with it as a hobby. My business is selling on line and whilst I am very succesfull with a turnover in the millions I start between 5am and 6am work 14 hour days 7 days a week.

    I too dream about earning my money from IM where I work a few hours a week for a large income but then I wake up and face reality. and its usually 5am time to go to work
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3813184].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author louiel
    It takes determination and hard work, I believe on that. A little luck I guess is a factor too. I learned a lot from you guys today. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It reminds us newbies to strive harder.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3813212].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TJCarter
      Thanking everyone for there input.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3845723].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics

  • 125 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Tons of Bad Advice In This Thread

    Most people that come to the forum are looking for advice on how to build their business or to otherwise make more money. Thanks to all those willing to help ... [read more]

  • 6 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    How can we get good back links ?

    sellebrate in SEO

    Please tell me I need this one so much !

  • 1 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Has anybody used the Growth Hackers Canvas?

    AlphaAlpha in Growth Hacking

    Is it worth paying for? We are just a team of 3 and I wonder if it provides enough value for the monthly fee.

  • 1 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Are subject lines the only thing that can affect open rates?

    AlphaAlpha in Email Marketing

    My instinct says yes, but I may be overlooking something here. Let's say I want to increase open rates for my emails, is the subject line the only thing that ... [read more]

  • 2 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Will a change of IP address affect ranking?

    Nikhil Bansal in SEO

    I'm moving to a new server shortly, after being on the same server for 6+ years. Is the change of IP address likely to affect the ranking of my sites ... [read more]