Your Account Has Been Deleted

Profile picture of the author quickregister by quickregister Posted: 05/26/2011
Your account has been deleted, your account has been suspended for violations of our terms of service. These are words which make most of us internet marketers hearts drop. Our web hosting, autoresponder services, Google Adwords, Adsense, domain registration YouTube, Facebook, Twitter accounts, Warrior Forum Account and posts(LOL), can all be deleted by one arbitrary click. No trial, no jury, no discussion. Click your business is gone. This is the uncertainty that so many us of working full time on the internet deal with.

What is the answer? Make sure you obey the TOS of every service you do business with? Is this enough? Absolutely not. I have lost accounts of various services while trying my dead level best to follow the TOS. The Google Slap is probably the best example. Can anybody figure out for sure what Google wants exactly? Very frustrating! They change all the time themselves.

So the bottom line you can lose any of your valuable services at anytime by one unilateral decision. No discussion no recourse.

What can you do?

First realize this. You are not safe. Have back ups to your back ups. Do not put all your eggs in one basket. Always be thinking what would I do if I lost this service. Defense must be a habit and it must take place when everything is going great. You cannot wait until everything is gone! Prepare for the worst!

Have you ever had any of your valuable accounts deleted arbitrarily without notice? I would like to hear about your experiences and how you and the service administrators responded. Let me know your stories, the specific services and companies you dealt with. Rant away. I want to know the gory details. Thank you for sharing.

Matt
#account #deleted

  • Profile picture of the author quickregister
    quickregister
    P.S. I just backed up this post to the drafts are of my blog in case anybody deletes it here. I will then back up my blog database with Backupsmart automatically to my hardrive. I will then use a cloud service to back up my data on my hardrive automatically to their servers....Not kidding.
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Armstrong
    Ben Armstrong
    It's probably fortunate it happened to me at the start, but I got a life ban from Google adwords when I followed some advice from an IM guru.

    Anyway... It just meant I took a different path into IM, not that I lost my whole business or anything.
  • Profile picture of the author quickregister
    quickregister
    Hi Ben, you are not alone on that one. Thousands were banned by Google. Many were able to come back though. I find often we find better alternatives when we lose valuable services and it makes us grow.
  • Profile picture of the author Greyhounds
    Greyhounds
    I guess the best thing we can do is stick to the rules and "don't put all of your eggs in one basket!"
  • Profile picture of the author Claire Sharp
    Claire Sharp
    So far, i haven't experienced it. You will happen to be on it if you did not obey their TOS. Just as simple as obeying the TOS, you will never get the chance that your account will be deleted, blocked or banned.
  • Profile picture of the author quickregister
    quickregister
    Unfortunately I have found that even if you scrupulously follow the TOS it is still possible to have your accounts deleted. Sometimes companies change their TOS.
  • Profile picture of the author ray777
    ray777
    Originally Posted by Claire Sharp View Post
    So far, i haven't experienced it. You will happen to be on it if you did not obey their TOS. Just as simple as obeying the TOS, you will never get the chance that your account will be deleted, blocked or banned.
    Yeah but when you sign up for something do you read the terms of service? Or do you just click accept? If you do read it can you understand it all?

    A few days ago I signed up for a youtube account. I copy and pasted their TOS into my word processor and it was 19 pages. I gave up reading and just clicked accept.
  • Profile picture of the author quickregister
    quickregister
    Great point maybe 1 percent ready the TOS and even if you do they can change at anytime

    Originally Posted by ray777 View Post
    Yeah but when you sign up for something do you read the terms of service? Or do you just click accept? If you do read it can you understand it all?

    A few days ago I signed up for a youtube account. I copy and pasted their TOS into my word processor and it was 19 pages. I gave up reading and just clicked accept.
  • Profile picture of the author quickregister
    quickregister
    Anybody ever lose a web hosting account?
  • Profile picture of the author Christian Little
    Christian Little
    People get suspended all the time, especially if you are with HostGator, they are a little trigger happy with the ban hammer.

    As the owner of a web hosting company, I can say that in the past 4 months or so I've had to suspend 3 accounts because they violated our AUP. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. 2 of the people I suspended probably knew it was going to happen, they didn't even try to contact us.
  • Profile picture of the author zeeawk
    zeeawk
    Originally Posted by Christian Little View Post
    People get suspended all the time, especially if you are with HostGator, they are a little trigger happy with the ban hammer.

    As the owner of a web hosting company, I can say that in the past 4 months or so I've had to suspend 3 accounts because they violated our AUP. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. 2 of the people I suspended probably knew it was going to happen, they didn't even try to contact us.
    What are some reasons a web hosting account would be suspended?
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
    Paul Myers
    Originally Posted by zeeawk View Post
    What are some reasons a web hosting account would be suspended?
    Spamming, spamvertising, hosting CPU-intensive scripts, using the account for illegal purposes, hosting files that aren't linked to the web pages on the site, running scripts or bots that are easily exploited or used to exploit other sites' weaknesses, phishing, any TOS violations... probably a bunch I'm not thinking of at the moment, too.


    Paul
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisMcDonald
    ChrisMcDonald
    Yup...my Peerfly account was closed without question within minutes after receiving funds. This was on the back of a WSO too the Warrior has gone quiet as has the Freelancer I used ;( wasn't a good start, but I haven't been put off.
  • Profile picture of the author zeeawk
    zeeawk
    Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post
    Spamming, spamvertising, hosting CPU-intensive scripts, using the account for illegal purposes, hosting files that aren't linked to the web pages on the site, running scripts or bots that are easily exploited or used to exploit other sites' weaknesses, phishing, any TOS violations... probably a bunch I'm not thinking of at the moment, too.


    Paul
    Thanks. Would this include spamming blog comments pointing back to your site?
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
    Paul Myers
    Originally Posted by zeeawk View Post
    Thanks. Would this include spamming blog comments pointing back to your site?
    Depends on the host's terms of service. That might not be spelled out.

    Some hosts consider that abuse of other sites. Some don't.


    Paul
  • Profile picture of the author webapex
    webapex
    And if you create Facebook groups, be sure you have multiple administrators so it won't get orphaned if one admin is knocked off.
  • Profile picture of the author traderbenji
    traderbenji
    I had my adwords account suspended, now the best bit is, I hadn't done any advertising with them for one and a half months to two months. Their reason was, crappy landing pages or something like that...I'm like what the, I haven't been advertising and supposably im sending traffic to poor quality pages. I laughed a lot and then put my thinking cap on and had to find alternatives, which is possibly one of the best things to happen as I found free sources, and cheap sources as alternatives to the traffic I would have gotten and was getting.
  • Profile picture of the author Christian Little
    Christian Little
    Originally Posted by zeeawk View Post
    What are some reasons a web hosting account would be suspended?
    It really depends on the specific hosting company.

    I mentioned above that I've suspended 3 recently, the reasons where:

    2 of them were hosting proxy servers on a shared hosting account. We only allow proxies to run on our reseller and VPS hosting plans.

    1 was using us to share pirated videos. I found 7 movies that he uploaded to his account and his buddies were downloading from us. Not only is that against our AUP (as he had absolutely no legal rights to the content), but it also violates US federal law.
  • Profile picture of the author quickregister
    quickregister
    Hi Christian, yes it really is judgement call because many times the accounts really are in violation and should be terminated. It is important to run a tight ship otherwise you will have no business at all. However, if the company is too trigger happy they risk alienating good customers and creating bad press.

    I had a safelist hosted with Rackspace once. When I signed up for the server I told them the nature of the business and that I had a safelist and asked if that was ok. They said yes. Months later and after several personel changes they decided they no longer wanted to host safelists. Even though I had no complaints they nuked the server with no warning. This is bad business. I have many dedicated servers now even a web hosting forum and I would never use them. They should have at least given me time to switch to another provider.
  • Profile picture of the author redfieryheart
    redfieryheart
    I am now suspended with Yahoo answer for the reason so unclear to me. I just answered some questions with relevance but then I am still suspended...thinking to change my account there...

Related discussions