What Twitter App Shows Followers Not Following Me?

by 42 comments
Hi Everyone,

Actually, I think the thread title might be a bit confusing.

What I meant to say is:
I read about a Twitter application that shows all the
Twitterers that I AM following, plus it shows all those
people I'm following who ARE NOT following me back.

With a "Mass Stop Following" button to stop following the
people that I checkoff, who are not following me in return.

Does anyone know which Twitter related website has this application?

This will help me out a great deal.

Thanks guys,
Sandy
#internet marketing #app #followers #shows #twitter
  • Profile picture of the author Nathan Hangen
    You'd really stop following people that don't follow you?
    • Profile picture of the author SandyHall
      Originally Posted by nhangen View Post

      You'd really stop following people that don't follow you?
      Hi nhangen,

      Yes, there is a Twitter tactic for getting a lot of followers
      to your Twitter account very quickly.

      It involves following a lot of people in hopes of them
      following you in return.

      But Twitter has a stopgap at 2000 followers (people you're following),
      before you can get more people following you.

      Once you reach the 2000 mark of who you're following,
      Twitter will stop you from following others until you reach the magic
      number of 2000 people who you are following.

      Then that releases, and you can follow as many people as you can.

      I hope this answers your question. I'm not sure if I'm being clear enough.

      Sandy
  • Profile picture of the author Dana_W
    I sure as heck would. If they don't want to hear from me, it's not much of a social networking relationship there, is it?

    Twitter Karma USED to do what you are asking, Sandy, but I have found it to be very buggy and clunky of late.

    Peter Drew and I are working on software that would do this AND autounfollow after a certain number of days if someone does not follow you back. However it is not ready yet.

    The manual way to do it - if you look at your list of everyone that you are following...if you can not send them a direct message...they are not following you. Click REMOVE and that will un-follow them.

    Yes, it's tedious, I spend hours on it every week. There is also friendorfollow.com or lessfriends.com.
  • Profile picture of the author Nato Guajardo
    Kinda high schoolish isn't it? If you don't follow me I won't follow you.

    I follow whoever I find interesting and offers value.
    • Profile picture of the author Nathan Hangen
      Originally Posted by Nato Guajardo View Post

      Kinda high schoolish isn't it? If you don't follow me I won't follow you.

      I follow whoever I find interesting and offers value.
      I agree completely, what that tells me is that people like this only join twitter to market to people. Nothing unethical about it I suppose, but I too follow people I find interesting and can learn from.
    • Profile picture of the author ladybones
      Originally Posted by Nato Guajardo View Post

      Kinda high schoolish isn't it? If you don't follow me I won't follow you.

      I follow whoever I find interesting and offers value.
      Clearly you aren't followig very many people yet. The problem is that once you follow over 2000 you can only have a 10% spread between your following and followers. So if you are following 2200 people, 2000 need to be following you, if less than that are following you, then you can't follow new people. You need to prune the people who aren't interested in you back, and just keep 200 extras of celebs or interesting people who don't follow back.
  • Profile picture of the author Dana_W
    Twitter limits the number of people that you can follow. I am on Twitter to a large extent to market my services, although I do it by building relationships on there and giving away free info relevant to my field.

    But every person who does NOT follow me is taking up space that could be occupied by someone who might become a business contact or customer or even just a friend. If they never hear a thing I say, there isn't much point in my following them. That's just me. Everyone has their preferred style.
    • Profile picture of the author SandyHall
      Originally Posted by Dana_W View Post

      Twitter limits the number of people that you can follow. I am on Twitter to a large extent to market my services, although I do it by building relationships on there and giving away free info relevant to my field.
      But every person who does NOT follow me is taking up space that could be occupied by someone who might become a business contact or customer or even just a friend. If they never hear a thing I say, there isn't much point in my following them. That's just me. Everyone has their preferred style.
      Thanks so much for this post Dana.

      My thoughts exactly. You just posted it first.

      Sandy
    • Profile picture of the author Hackbridge
      Originally Posted by Dana_W View Post

      Twitter limits the number of people that you can follow. I am on Twitter to a large extent to market my services, although I do it by building relationships on there and giving away free info relevant to my field.

      But every person who does NOT follow me is taking up space that could be occupied by someone who might become a business contact or customer or even just a friend. If they never hear a thing I say, there isn't much point in my following them. That's just me. Everyone has their preferred style.
      I agree Dana

      My two pennies worth

      Brian
  • Profile picture of the author jjpmarketing
    Try this one Sandy.

    My Tweeple
  • Profile picture of the author Dana_W
    Twitter is like my online chamber of commerce. I go there, I hang out, I shoot the breeze, I pass along some useful information about how to write press releases and how to get them in the newspaper, I ask people what they're up to, I answer questions...and some people hire me to write for them as a result.

    In my view, people are abusing Twitter when they send out nothing but links to Clickbank products or even nothing but links to their own latest articles or posts - but then, I just unfollow those people, and so do most Twitter users.

    I don't see anything wrong with using Twitter for networking as long as it's done in a sociable, helpful way.
    • Profile picture of the author jjpmarketing
      I disagree with the sentiment about posting about blog posts. IMO, I see twitter replacing RSS feeds. You can place a link to your post with a short synopsis (i think its called)... and users can click or not. Or would that be "twynopsis"?

      Now if that is the only thing you are posting then you aren't contributing very much to the twitter community. I tend to use the twitter search function to find people looking for answers to things I feel like tweeting about. I have helped quite a few people this way.

      LMAO. I once even helped this girl on how to get her diamond ear rings out of the drain. They went down the drain while she was taking a shower.

      I vary my tweets from blips to random thoughts to tweets about my blog posts. I don't think that is a bad thing. I don't have a problem with clickbank problems unless they are non stop tweets about clickbank products.

      So for those that are active on twitter, tweeting about blog posts is not a bad thing. But for those just using twitter for only that, it is the equivalent of spam.

      I get all kinds of traffic to my blog from Twitter. Some from my tweets, some from my profile page.
  • Profile picture of the author SolomonHuey
    Some people use twitter to expand their reach and market themselves. Others just want to use it to follow certain people.

    Personally, I only follow the people I'm interested in hearing from.

    No big deal either way.

    Solomon Huey
    • Profile picture of the author SandyHall
      Originally Posted by SolomonHuey View Post

      Some people use twitter to expand their reach and market themselves.
      Others just want to use it to follow certain people.
      Personally, I only follow the people I'm interested in hearing from.
      No big deal either way.
      Solomon Huey
      Thanks Solomon,

      I am using Twitter for three main reasons.
      1. To find folks who are interesting to follow.
      2. To find folks who will be interested in following me.
      3. To integrate 1 and 2 above into my internet marketing agenda. (Without Spamming of course)

      There are so many people in our IM niche who are giving away
      fantastic ideas, resources, and tidbits of info, I feel like a kid in a candy store.

      Here's to your Twitter success,
      Sandy
  • Profile picture of the author Dana_W
    Thanks, guys! Oh, and Twitter is a great driver of traffic - I have driven several hundred visitors to my blog in a day by posting a link to blog posts. I also only put the blog up in October and it's now a PR3, and I believe that's mostly from Twitter.
    • Profile picture of the author skydivedad
      Sandy
      Great thread and excellent comments. I'm not sure which side of the argument I'm on, Thanks Gang. I like Twitter Karma any site that has a button labeled "Whack" gets my respect.

      Paul
  • Profile picture of the author julie004
    Happy New Year to All!

    I just joined twitter a few hours ago. Lots of info for me to absorb and look into here. Thanks to you all! Any knowledge I can gain is much appreciated.
    I'll look into some of the links here about twitter to start. Thanks Again and again.......... Julie
    • Profile picture of the author jjpmarketing
      I never could get Twitter Karma to work. I'd like to find something that was easy to filter results based on the total number of followers, friends, updates, join date, etc. for a user. That way if someone isn't reciprocating I can check if they have low to no activity in a certain time frame... and unfollow them based on that. Rather than unfollow someone that might prove valuable in the future as a follower.
  • Profile picture of the author FindItFree
    I'm looking for people who are successfully using TwitterLocal

    This looks like a great tool for use with Twitter but I can't seem to make it work. I provide it my logon information and it just "spins" instead of logging on.

    Please help if you have any idea what might be wrong, I've tried using this from two different computers without success.
  • Profile picture of the author Martha Richardson
    C'mon, let's be realiistic. Not everyone I follow on Twitter is on the same level. Yes, there are some I would follow regardless of whether they follow me. But then there is a much larger group that I follow because they follow me. For this group, I consider it worthwhile to follow them as long as they follow me back.

    Barry
    • Profile picture of the author angela99
      Who makes up the Twitter "rules"?

      The tiny box asks: "What are you doing?" That's all...

      Use it in any way you like. Follow whomever you like; unfollow ditto.

      Around 2004 blogging evangelists decided that:

      * No one should ever sell anything on blogs

      * Blogs are a "conversation" (presumably a really slow one)

      Time passes, and the blogger thou-shalt-not promote/ it's-a-conversation folks happily broke their own blogging rules -- as soon as it suited them to do so.

      We're all individuals, so we all use whatever we use in our own way.

      Use Twitter in any way you wish; there are no rules. :-)

      Cheers

      Angela
  • Profile picture of the author Josh Anderson
    I've had a twitter account for a couple years now but I just started posting to it recently because people keep finding me and following me... many are names I know and recognize.

    I don't have a lot of people following me and I don't do anything to get them to follow me... they just follow me if they want to I get about a half dozen new followers a day lately because of all the IMrs buzzing about twitter.

    I see that one of the strategies for twitter is to follow everyone and their mother to get them to follow you.

    However, I think that its a pointless waste of time to follow someone you are not really interested in or in most cases do not even know.

    I have an affiliate who gets solid response from his twitter followers when he tweets about our products...

    However, what I do not get is how anyone expects to get anything out of twitter if they are following 1500 people tweeting about eating Twinkies.

    I must be missing something here but it looks like most people's approach to "following" is just a big waste of time that pretty much ruins the purpose of following someone when you have 1499 other twinky eaters tweeting over any quality tweet until its buried in Twinkies. If you are following 1500 people you are not really following anyone... you just end of with thousands of lines of useless chatter from people you do not know.

    I guess I'll have to keep tweeting once in a while though because it appears that people want to follow me for some crazy reason...

    If you want thousands of followers on twitter its easy to do... just find the most popular publishers in the IM niche and follow every single person that is following them. You'll have a couple thousand followers in no time because they have all been taught the same strategy.

    But as for me... I'm going to stick with the organic followers who follow me because they sought me out for that purpose. I'm too lazy to follow thousands of people just to hope that they ad me to a list of people that they "follow" but do not pay attention to.
    • Profile picture of the author Kurt
      Originally Posted by Josh Anderson View Post


      But as for me... I'm going to stick with the organic followers who follow me because they sought me out for that purpose.
      Hey Josh,

      Either way, you'll still have those people. Following others won't stop people from finding you "organically".
    • Profile picture of the author ladybones
      Originally Posted by Josh Anderson View Post

      I've had a twitter account for a couple years now but I just started posting to it recently because people keep finding me and following me... many are names I know and recognize.

      I don't have a lot of people following me and I don't do anything to get them to follow me... they just follow me if they want to I get about a half dozen new followers a day lately because of all the IMrs buzzing about twitter.

      I see that one of the strategies for twitter is to follow everyone and their mother to get them to follow you.

      However, I think that its a pointless waste of time to follow someone you are not really interested in or in most cases do not even know.

      I have an affiliate who gets solid response from his twitter followers when he tweets about our products...

      However, what I do not get is how anyone expects to get anything out of twitter if they are following 1500 people tweeting about eating Twinkies.

      I must be missing something here but it looks like most people's approach to "following" is just a big waste of time that pretty much ruins the purpose of following someone when you have 1499 other twinky eaters tweeting over any quality tweet until its buried in Twinkies. If you are following 1500 people you are not really following anyone... you just end of with thousands of lines of useless chatter from people you do not know.

      I guess I'll have to keep tweeting once in a while though because it appears that people want to follow me for some crazy reason...

      If you want thousands of followers on twitter its easy to do... just find the most popular publishers in the IM niche and follow every single person that is following them. You'll have a couple thousand followers in no time because they have all been taught the same strategy.

      But as for me... I'm going to stick with the organic followers who follow me because they sought me out for that purpose. I'm too lazy to follow thousands of people just to hope that they ad me to a list of people that they "follow" but do not pay attention to.
      the purpose of building a big follower list is:
      raising your fee per click with sponsored ads (wold you want to make 5 cents per tweet ad or 2.00$)
      and raising your popularity, in a sense. if youhave tons of followers, more people are likely to follow you
      also more chance of getting your ads and content retweeted
      it's basic network marketing - grow your network, grow your audience
      even if someone is following you and they aren't interested in your product, you may be able to convince them to RT and show your ad to all THEIR followers.
      also, some people follow everyone on someone elses list
      also, some people follow based on rank, there are many sites that you can find out your rank, or others peoples, 400 followers isnt going to get you ranked well because your circle of influence is so tiny
  • Profile picture of the author indianbill007
    If you are into some serious Twitter Marketing, try twtzilla.
    • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
      I still do manually look at all followers to see if I want to follow back - some days that means 50 or more quick checks while others days it can be as low as a dozen or so, but either way I am willing to follow anyone that I think may be aligned with my interests and niches and this is not ONLY sending out an endless stream of commercial messages.

      I also use Qwitter to monitor those I follow, but then decide to unfollow. I get daily updates so I can tell if either I'm doing something that my followers don't like OR, as often happens, many top guru's build up a huge following and then clean house so they look like there is a massive following while they don't follow anymore than 20 or 30 people. Then I can decide if I want to keep following them or not.

      Jeff
  • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
    Originally Posted by SandyHall View Post

    I read about a Twitter application that shows all the Twitterers that I AM following, plus it shows all those
    people I'm following who ARE NOT following me back.

    Does anyone know which Twitter related website has this application?
    I use Friend or Follow.

    David Jackson
    • Profile picture of the author Rashell
      It's not an app but the refollow.com site will allow you determine "who you are following that is not following you back" and vice versa.

      It will display 100 profile photos per page. On mouseover a pop-up window will display the profile name, latest tweet, bio, links and other things. You can add tags, notes etc.

      Click the profile photo and follow/unfollow a batch at a time. However, if you try to delete more than 10 at a time you'll receive a warning about twitter and mass unfollowing. You can lock profiles you don't want to accidentally change.

      Incidentally, you can also load the followers of another account (ie top influencer) and mass follow their followers/followings by batch.

      Rashell
  • Profile picture of the author ladybones
    Also, i should have mentioned that i like
    manageflitter.com
    to give me a good look at my account and elp me unfollow the non reciprocating tweeps!
  • Profile picture of the author toolsmith
    Give Tweet Whistle a try from Get Twitter Followers - Tweet Whistle The software is free to try and offers an option to unfollow users not following you back.

    -Paul
  • Profile picture of the author rickyprice
    I have found that manageflitter dot com is the best one to use, cannot post link since i am a newbie but trust me It gives you a great view of stuff
  • Profile picture of the author Bank
    I can also thumbs up tweet whistle, didn't use it for what the OP is discussing but for other twitter functionality it's good

Next Topics on Trending Feed