How Long Does It Take You To Write A GOOD 1000 Word Article

Profile picture of the author Gary M. by Gary M. Posted: 12/15/2011
I'm starting to follow "The Alexa Method" where she writes long, high quality articles and gets them syndicated for traffic, pointing that traffic back to her site / squeeze page and making affiliate sales.

I remember the 7 minute article WSO and a lot of 30 minute article guides, and I always thought that when I write, it should be done fast.

I'm finding though, that these quickly done articles (I've had hundreds of them written for me), although accurate and correctly written, don't make me much money. Some money, yeah, but not as much as I expect from the amount I spent. Obviously this could be due to keyword research errors, bad calls to action, etc. But I'm also willing to consider since it's been brought up so many times, that they're not enough to gain the trust of my readers.

I want to focus on longer, really informative articles like the ones I suspect Alexa writes. They're taking significantly longer than 1/2 hour though, and I think I might end up spending maybe 3-4 hours on a good article of that length. I've heard about internet marketers writing short reports in that amount of time and I feel unproductive in comparison.

And FYI, I'm only writing about subjects I'm already familiar with. I'm still finding that to write a good article I need to do a lot of research before and during the article writing.

Do you warriors write as slow as me and is it worth it (time investment wise) or should I be working faster?
#article #good #long #word #write

  • Profile picture of the author Robert Michael
    Robert Michael
    It depends on how fast you can type.

    I could probably write one in like 20 minutes.. But that doesnt mean everyone can.
  • Profile picture of the author Gary M.
    Gary M.
    Damn, I'm jealous.

    I'm a decent typer, but I have a hard time thinking of what to say, figuring out how to structure it, doing research to back up what I'm saying in the article, and then trying to write it in a way that sounds interesting.

    Perhaps I'll be better off outsourcing the writing, but need to be sure I hire someone that can crank out the kind of quality that gets syndicated, builds trust and effectively presells. Sounds like a complicated process and a lot to expect of an article writer. Seems they would need to be an excellent researcher, writer and copywriter...

    Recommendations, anyone?
  • Profile picture of the author David Keith
    David Keith
    if you are writing 1000 - 1200 word articles then i dont think its too bad to be looking at a few hours or so from start to finish. maybe even longer if you are writing really good quality article that require some research.

    i mean if you type 75 words a minute (mistake free) it would take you 15 minutes or so of just straight typing, not to mention errors, thinking, or re-writing anything.

    if you want to speed up some, try just not thinking so much on your first run through. then spend more time re-working the article once you have a bunch of thoughts down on the paper (or word processor). most people find it easier to collect and organize their thoughts better once they have it all "on the paper"
  • Profile picture of the author PatriciaJ
    PatriciaJ
    It takes me hours to write a GOOD 1000 word article and then add on more time to proof read it. Tried quick methods but they just don't work for me.

    For high quality it would probably take longer, but that's what we should be aiming for if we want quality results from our articles.
  • Profile picture of the author Robert Michael
    Robert Michael
    lol David. I can type about 80-90 WPM with 100% accuracy.

    @Gary, you might want to check out Dragon Naturally Speaking.

    You talk, it converts it to text for you. Then you can just go back and proofread.
  • Profile picture of the author Gary M.
    Gary M.
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm going to try both writing my own and outsourcing with various writers. Then I'll do a little non-scientific test about which results in the most traffic, sales and sign ups.

    PatriciaJ, I'm guessing that you find it worth it? Spending hours writing an article is profitable for you? Do you outsource or plan to at all?
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Gordon
    Ben Gordon
    It depends on how fast you type, how fast you're able to receive thoughts and ideas, and lastly, whether you're interested in the topic you're writing about.

    I personally write at 70 WPM and think of ideas quite quickly. If I'm interested in the niche I'm writing the article about, and don't have to conduct further research, then it would take me about 20-35 minutes to accomplish that article. It drastically varies on the situation and person.
  • Profile picture of the author solado
    solado
    Im dyslexic so anywhere between 30-60 minutes have been known to go up to 2 hours but the article quality does come out well and it flows so thats all that counts.
  • Profile picture of the author Gary M.
    Gary M.
    lol - tried that. My brain can't keep up with mouth so it wasn't working for me

    Originally Posted by Whos That Guru View Post
    lol David. I can type about 80-90 WPM with 100% accuracy.

    @Gary, you might want to check out Dragon Naturally Speaking.

    You talk, it converts it to text for you. Then you can just go back and proofread.
  • Profile picture of the author David Keith
    David Keith
    Originally Posted by Whos That Guru View Post
    lol David. I can type about 80-90 WPM with 100% accuracy.

    @Gary, you might want to check out Dragon Naturally Speaking.

    You talk, it converts it to text for you. Then you can just go back and proofread.
    my real point was not typing speed, but more that 20 minutes for a solid well thought out 1k word article is probably not even close to the norm.

    i was pointing out that if you were simple transcribing something it would take you about half that time and thats without even thinking about what you are writing. much less creating the kind of content that typically get syndicated.
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    myob
    There are a lot of assets invested for writing each article. It often takes my writers 2-3 days to research and produce an 800-1200 word article per niche. These articles of course are highly specialized and are in some of the most hotly competitive arenas. Speed nor quantity is as essential as results - ultimately measured in sales.
  • Profile picture of the author Shannon Tani
    Shannon Tani
    It can take me anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. It depends on the topic and how much I know about it and whether or not I really know what I want to say.
    Where are you getting tripped up? If it's in finding qualified research to back up what you want to say, have you tried using the search modifier "site:.edu" or "site:.gov"?
    I've written in a lot of topics, and if you want to PM me with your niche, I might be able to point you to some good sites for research.

    Love,
    Shannon
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    travlinguy
    It takes me about an hour to write 1000 words on a topic I know. There are several topics I know well enough to cut that time to 45 minutes and still not sacrifice quality.

    Today I wrote an 850 word article on a spiritual - metaphysical concept that I was only somewhat familiar with. I had to stop twice for research. One research item took more than a half hour to find.

    I had about two and a half hours into this thing before finishing. It's going to be a blog post. But this is a blog I really want to fly so the material has to be excellent every time.

    You say you know your topics so you should focus on getting to the point where you spend an hour, hour and a half to get quality stuff. Otherwise, it might be a better use of your time to outsource your writing. Good luck.
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Worner
    Chris Worner
    From research to final output? three to four hours.

    -Chris
  • Profile picture of the author PatriciaJ
    PatriciaJ
    Originally Posted by Gary M. View Post
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm going to try both writing my own and outsourcing with various writers. Then I'll do a little non-scientific test about which results in the most traffic, sales and sign ups.

    PatriciaJ, I'm guessing that you find it worth it? Spending hours writing an article is profitable for you? Do you outsource or plan to at all?
    I outsource a lot of articles, but the articles that I have written myself and taken a lot of time and care over usually get syndicated more than the outsourced or quicker articles so yes it is more profitable in the long run. Just don't have time or the inclination to write as much as I should myself.
  • Profile picture of the author Miguelito203
    Miguelito203
    Originally Posted by Gary M. View Post
    I'm starting to follow "The Alexa Method" where she writes long, high quality articles and gets them syndicated for traffic, pointing that traffic back to her site / squeeze page and making affiliate sales.

    I remember the 7 minute article WSO and a lot of 30 minute article guides, and I always thought that when I write, it should be done fast.

    I'm finding though, that these quickly done articles (I've had hundreds of them written for me), although accurate and correctly written, don't make me much money. Some money, yeah, but not as much as I expect from the amount I spent. Obviously this could be due to keyword research errors, bad calls to action, etc. But I'm also willing to consider since it's been brought up so many times, that they're not enough to gain the trust of my readers.

    I want to focus on longer, really informative articles like the ones I suspect Alexa writes. They're taking significantly longer than 1/2 hour though, and I think I might end up spending maybe 3-4 hours on a good article of that length. I've heard about internet marketers writing short reports in that amount of time and I feel unproductive in comparison.

    And FYI, I'm only writing about subjects I'm already familiar with. I'm still finding that to write a good article I need to do a lot of research before and during the article writing.

    Do you warriors write as slow as me and is it worth it (time investment wise) or should I be working faster?
    I say just do you. It's not just about how fast you type. It also depends on if you are one of those people who can type directly from your head. Not everyone can do that. Just because two people have two diff. techniques for accomplishing the same goal, it doesn't mean they can't both succeed.

    Joey
  • Profile picture of the author Gary M.
    Gary M.
    Originally Posted by myob View Post
    There are a lot of assets invested for writing each article. It often takes my writers 2-3 days to research and produce an 800-1200 word article per niche. These articles of course are highly specialized and are in some of the most hotly competitive arenas. Speed nor quantity is as essential as results - ultimately measured in sales.
    Awesome, that's encouraging because I know you're having great results from reading that syndication thread based on you and Alexa.

    Originally Posted by Shannon Tani View Post
    It can take me anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. It depends on the topic and how much I know about it and whether or not I really know what I want to say.
    Where are you getting tripped up? If it's in finding qualified research to back up what you want to say, have you tried using the search modifier "site:.edu" or "site:.gov"?
    I've written in a lot of topics, and if you want to PM me with your niche, I might be able to point you to some good sites for research.

    Love,
    Shannon
    Thanks Shannon. It's not really a lack of places to find research, it's more of a problem with my brain, to be honest. I'm just slow (IMO) to put that research into an article that's accurate and interesting.

    Originally Posted by PatriciaJ View Post
    I outsource a lot of articles, but the articles that I have written myself and taken a lot of time and care over usually get syndicated more than the outsourced or quicker articles so yes it is more profitable in the long run. Just don't have time or the inclination to write as much as I should myself.
    That sucks - the part about you not being able to find writers that get your work syndicated as much as you're able to do yourself. I personally don't like writing so I was hoping you'd say otherwise.

    Maybe we should do like myob and hire writers that could take days to finish an article. I bet a lot of time and care was put in there. I wonder how much that would cost
  • Profile picture of the author Zabrina
    Zabrina
    The answer to this really depends on several factors. First of all, I have a few advantages: I'm usually constantly structuring the article in my head as I write, somewhat subconsciously, and find it very easy to transfer my thoughts to the page. I'm very familiar with grammar and spelling, so I don't have to stop often to proofread on the go, and save it for a one- or two-pass edit at the end. I'm also a very fast typist, and if I have a clear mind and lots of energy, that typing speed just keeps going up and up.

    So... if it's in one of my main niches, I can knock out a great 1000-word article in somewhere between half an hour and an hour.

    If it's in an obscure niche or I want to absolutely blow it out of the water, it could be as long as four hours.

    Usually, it falls somewhere between those two extremes.

    Time spent doesn't necessarily increase the finished article's quality, as there's a "point of diminishing returns" with any article where editing it will sap the liveliness and personality out, or make it seem too carefully structured, or just isn't worth the time. (95% perfect as opposed to 98% perfect doesn't matter when you've spent four extra hours getting there.)

    Some people type very slowly, or can't touch-type and have to constantly check, or simply can't structure their thoughts easily. They might take three times as long as me to write an article and still not do it as well. On the other hand, someone might take twice as long to write an article, but due to their own talent and finely-honed skills, create an article way better than mine.

    It's more about the steps taken during the process and the finished product than the time spent on it.
  • Profile picture of the author mattjang
    mattjang
    Yea I think it really depends.. Sometimes I'm able to to pump out an article in 30 minutes other times it can take an hour to write a post, I dont think you should be worried how long it takes you to post as long as your creating quality content
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    JohnMcCabe
    It's kind of like an American football game. The actual action takes up a fairly small chunk of the game's duration. The rest of the time is spent getting ready to run a play, lining up, getting everyone in position, etc. Then comes 6-7 seconds of intense action. Followed by more time spent assessing the outcome, getting back to the huddle, calling another play, etc.

    In an area I know well, and with my outline firmly in mind, I can draft the article in around an hour. Reaching that point might take me a few hours, while proofing and editing adds time.

    I usually aim to create 1-2 articles per day when in production mode.

    For that effort, I expect those articles to generate traffic, sales, opt-ins, etc. for years. I believe it's a favorable trade...

Related discussions