97% Of People Fail At Internet Marketing? Why?

by TBInternetMarketing 97 replies
So that's the stat I heard yesterday.

My first question is do you think that's accurate? It sounds a bit extreme at first glance, but then I crunched the numbers.

First of all, let's define what determines failing.

Well since the "dream" if you like for most people here is to become a full time internet marketer, lets set that as the cut-off line between failing and succeeding.

Let's say 97% of people who start internet marketing, don't end up doing it full time.

Ok, so the numbers...Let's say there are 5,000 people on the Warrior Forum at any given time (on average).
If only 3% of them are not failing at internet marketing, that would mean that at any given time there 150 people online who are making a full time living online I.e probably at least $50,000 a year.

So what do you think now? Does that 97% stat sound right?


My second question is, if this is the case, then why is that?

My opinion is that it comes down to two things.

1) Lack of focus

Jumping around from one method to another looking for a magic bullet.

2) Lack of perseverance

Giving up because it's too hard, instead of trying to first make $5 a day for a month, then $10 a day for a month, then $50 a day etc.

I know from personal experience, once I got past those 2 barriers, I started really seeing some results online!


Your thoughts?
#main internet marketing discussion forum #97% #fail #internet #marketing #people
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author bulldogzg
    Interesting question.

    I think no1 reason ppl fail at IM is cause their perspective is flawed.
    They think IM is simple, easy and doesn't really require much "work" as is.
    So they buy an ebook or a guide, go at it at without any knowledge fail miserably and get discouraged to try again... and most probably lose some $$ along the way.

    Took me about a year of failing and getting up again to make a full time living on line.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5586854].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author awddude
    I completely agree with your two reasons. I have a long background in Forex, and the same principles apply. There are thousands or infinite ways to achieve success in IM. Most people constantly look and change and try to grab the next best strategy. At the same time, it's much better to stick to your guns until you completely own one strategy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5586857].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author revstan
      Originally Posted by awddude View Post

      I completely agree with your two reasons. I have a long background in Forex, and the same principles apply. There are thousands or infinite ways to achieve success in IM. Most people constantly look and change and try to grab the next best strategy. At the same time, it's much better to stick to your guns until you completely own one strategy.
      It's the same way with poker, you are totally right. My background is poker and just like with forex-trading, you have to adapt a mindset and keep perseverance.


      Simplestan
      Signature

      "No man is taller than when he bends down to help another in need"

      - Simple Stan -

      Making the path to income in internet marketing less complicated and as easy as 1-2-3 !

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587828].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PaulyC
    It's an interesting stat, and your points both make complete sense.

    When someone asks me what the reasons for failure in IM are, I usually say the following:

    1. They expect an easy ride

    Unfortunately since the beginning of time there have been snake oil salesmen who've sold the magic bullet to all of our hopes and dreams. It's everywhere: weight loss, making money, etc.

    Most of us get into IM with that expectation, most of us realize that it's not a 'get rich quick' type of thing when we don't get rich overnight - and unfortunately most (apparently 97%) aren't willing to put forth the time, energy, and effort to make it happen.

    2. Shiny object syndrome

    Just look at all the WSO's out there - there's a million and one ways to make money, and people aren't willing to stick with a single strategy long enough to make it a success. And on this topic people are often chasing 'techniques' and/or 'strategies' for making money instead of focusing on a real business model that delivers long-term success.

    3. Just like you said - perseverance

    People just plain and simply put, quit too early. I truly believe that anybody who perseveres in any aspect of life can achieve their goals - but most people simply don't have that inner drive to keep going despite life constantly pushing them down and resisting their success.


    Thanks for bringing up an interesting topic of debate, looking forward to hearing what others have to say!

    Paul
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5586941].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Minna_Bryant
      Originally Posted by PaulyC View Post


      1. They expect an easy ride

      Unfortunately since the beginning of time there have been snake oil salesmen who've sold the magic bullet to all of our hopes and dreams. It's everywhere: weight loss, making money, etc.

      Most of us get into IM with that expectation, most of us realize that it's not a 'get rich quick' type of thing when we don't get rich overnight - and unfortunately most (apparently 97%) aren't willing to put forth the time, energy, and effort to make it happen.
      Oh boy Paul, I can say I fell into that trap. I certainly expected something different because I was 'sold' that something. Being stubborn I chose to hold onto and try to make that expectation a reality, far longer than was prudent.

      Then, I got over it.

      Once I got over it and accepted that 'this expectation is pure crap' and started dropping expectations to see what might happen, I found it easier to dismiss the snake oil and to begin really focusing on achieving results.

      Which leads directly to perseverance. Changing directions every time something doesn't work as expected isn't perseverance, it's whining.

      Persevering is staying with one thing or in one area until you've determined that it is NOT the right area for you to focus on AND you've learned something that is farther reaching than "well this doesn't work" and then quitting.

      If you're paying attention you'll find the parts that did work for you, maybe where you spent hours engaged and DOING the work and didn't think twice about it.

      Lots of people quit because they don't want to accept that they bought into some unrealistic expectations. Lots of people earn $50,000 selling unrealistic expectations to the people who don't want to admit that they have unrealistic expectations. That is the main reason there are so many statistical failings.
      Signature

      Priority One - People! Priority Two - Profits!
      Remove Roadblocks & Reach Profits Faster!
      Need Proofreading and Editing?

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587280].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kix
        I think most people fail because they get in to it thinking they are going to work 5 minutes a day and suddenly become rich. Then once they start getting in to IM they realize it's not that easy so they continue to jump from one idea to the next searching for the easy get rich way to do it which doesn't exist so in the end they just keep wasting time and money.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587374].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author atvking
      Originally Posted by PaulyC View Post


      2. Shiny object syndrome

      Just look at all the WSO's out there - there's a million and one ways to make money, and people aren't willing to stick with a single strategy long enough to make it a success. And on this topic people are often chasing 'techniques' and/or 'strategies' for making money instead of focusing on a real business model that delivers long-term success.
      sums it up quite well...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587437].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author World Marketing
      Originally Posted by PaulyC View Post

      It's an interesting stat, and your points both make complete sense.

      When someone asks me what the reasons for failure in IM are, I usually say the following:

      1. They expect an easy ride

      Unfortunately since the beginning of time there have been snake oil salesmen who've sold the magic bullet to all of our hopes and dreams. It's everywhere: weight loss, making money, etc.

      Most of us get into IM with that expectation, most of us realize that it's not a 'get rich quick' type of thing when we don't get rich overnight - and unfortunately most (apparently 97%) aren't willing to put forth the time, energy, and effort to make it happen.

      2. Shiny object syndrome

      Just look at all the WSO's out there - there's a million and one ways to make money, and people aren't willing to stick with a single strategy long enough to make it a success. And on this topic people are often chasing 'techniques' and/or 'strategies' for making money instead of focusing on a real business model that delivers long-term success.

      3. Just like you said - perseverance

      People just plain and simply put, quit too early. I truly believe that anybody who perseveres in any aspect of life can achieve their goals - but most people simply don't have that inner drive to keep going despite life constantly pushing them down and resisting their success.


      Thanks for bringing up an interesting topic of debate, looking forward to hearing what others have to say!

      Paul
      I agree...A lot of people think making money is going to be as easy as 1,2,3 mostly because all of the bogus products out today!
      Signature

      I make $5,000+ a month online [CLICK HERE] to see how you can do the same starting today!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5590018].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MattCatania
        Originally Posted by World Marketing View Post

        I agree...A lot of people think making money is going to be as easy as 1,2,3 mostly because all of the bogus products out today!
        I don't completely agree with your views, as stated above.

        I believe that people nowadays feel entitled to have whatever they want, whenever they want - even if it means that they shouldn't have to do any hard work to get to that point.

        BUT....

        I believe that the effects are compounded when you add in "push-button, insta-riches" products that sell false dreams to the ignorant and/or gullible.

        IMO, the most valuable information that I've read (pertaining to IM) cost $0 to obtain, was freely shared with no strings attached and has been repeated many times over.
        Signature

        Logic outweighs all.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5590211].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kate925557
    I agree with your two answers. I’d like to add on. Many people who fail don’t have enough knowledge nor training in internet marketing. Even when there is plenty of training offered in these programs. Many people won’t take the time to learn it and therefore, give up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5586985].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris-
    I would think that the percentage of failures is about right, might even be more.

    As for perseverence and focus . . . there's a lot of people persevering and focussing intensely on methods that simply don't work! I wasted lots of time and money on IM methods that I'd bought, when I was learning, losing money every time.

    I'll give you a hint . . . many of the methods you pay for in IM, simply DON'T work, and however much they say that the authors "use this method every day" to make however many thousands they quote, they are simply LIEING. It's easy enough to determine this for yourself, when the list of sites they give you that they say "they use every day", some of the sites have been down for 2 years, and lots of them don't do what the method needs at all. It's all just nonsense. BUT, you can learn a few things from each such course you do, and there are certainly a few courses (both paid, and free) that certainly DO work, and if you keep on testing and only believing facts you've tested in practice, you can certainly find a way to make money in IM.

    Chris
    Signature
    - Make money online in 3 hours, $0.00 investment, no experience required. (FREE report) -
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587108].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Griffin Smith
      Well I guess you have to define what your version of success and failure is. When I started, I didn't make a buffalo nickel for 3 months almost to the day.

      I bought and read everything that I could about IM and tried different techniques all day everyday. Thankfully I had a small savings to support me at the time or I would have been really screwed.

      Then one day I checked my email and saw $3 in my Paypal acct and was like "that's cool" then the next week there was $30 then $60 ..$135 etc..Don't get me wrong I'm not getting rich (Yet) but I live a comfy life and support myself completely online..

      I almost quit about 5 times...Glad I didn't..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5589723].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onlineVisions
    I would 100% agree with Pauly C, Put it this way..internet marketing is like any other business .. there is no such thing as get rich quick scheme... its sad that many internet marketing newbies expect this ride to be easy... But its not, u have to Learn, apply and wait..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Seatbelt99
    I think that stat is fairly accurate though I disagree with the definition of failing.

    There are many people who have no interest in doing this full time and just enjoy it as a hobby or part time gig.

    There are others (like myself) who want to eventually be able to do it full time but just aren't there yet. I'm making about $1500 per month, give or take, doing it in my spare time and at my day job. I hardly consider myself failing, but I'm not at a full time level yet.

    Beyond that, I agree with your two reasons you gave. I struggled with the first one for a long time and only just started focusing my efforts on three things exclusively (which each complement each other). I won't be doing anything else until these three are successful and on 95%+ automation. Then I'll either repeat the process of these three or find something new to try and focus on. I can already see the successes beginning.

    Good post.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587254].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sornie Samante
    Personally, I failed many times but I never gave up. This time, I am starting to receive the price and it really feels good that after all the hard work you can enjoy the good effects. Anyway, thanks for this post, this is indeed a great reminder for everyone who wants to a full time income online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587294].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Huggins
    I think the 97% is bang on numbers, think of the amount of people a year who drop outta college\University. These ratios of people starting on a task and simply never finishing can only be related back to one root cause, society as a whole is beginning to get lack lustre after the chase. Many people who read this will have given up on at least one thing in theior lives, internet marketing is difficult to grasp at first but honestly it gets to be just like learning to ride your bike the first time. There will always be highs and lows but it's the three percent that make everything worthwhile to keep trying because you can always see\read\hear about another success story.

    If more people stayed focused on their tasks at hand then the percentage could be flipped.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587316].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author willay
    Even most people who buy high end $2000 + courses don't even finish going through the entire course. Isn't that nuts? I think people buy all these courses so they can feel like they are successful just by having it. Then they see another promotion the next day and 3 the next day. Everyone saying something different and then they don't know what to do..back to step 1.

    So the biggest problem period is information overload. Well, what is the easiest way to tell what is actually working to make people a lot of money? Analyze successful business's down to every last detail and see what they are doing and you will know you need to be doing what they are doing.

    So, people need to find that out, then write up a blueprint of what they are going to do to achieve the success they want. Then need to work the **** out of that blueprint. If you fail at something, adjust your approach the next time. I don't think there is any other way.

    Cheers,

    Will Cowan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587341].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sarconi
    I must agree with that statement, most people indeed do not have a plan when they try to set up a business online, they don't even think it is a business so they treat it such.
    As always if you want to start a business you have to have a plan and stick to it ! adjust where needed. And avoid the overwhelming info there is online. Everything that is out there has its own true value but you cannot implemant every program that is out there.
    So set up a plan , look for a way to make your plan work and stick to it. and again adjust where needed.

    Greetings
    Nicolas
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    The figure is complete rubbish. It gets tossed around so much that people assume it's true.

    Bah!

    I believe the failure rate is MUCH lower. Why? Because it all depends on what you mean by the word 'try'.

    Can you honestly say that somebody who has read a sales letter, bought an e-book, read the e-book, and then decided it all sounded too hard has "tried"? Of course not! BUT...would THEY say they tried? Probably. Their minds make them say they tried, when in reality they didn't even come close to making an honest attempt at anything.

    The problem, in my opinion, is that everybody who throws around this garbage statistic focuses on what it means to fail, when they should really be focusing on what it means to try.

    All the best,
    Michael

    p.s. If I never see that statistic (97%, 95%, 93.85%, etc.) again, I will be thrilled.
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587559].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author zmorris
      If that stat is true, it makes me feel like even more of a success. But I'm not going to lie, it took me months before I saw any real money. I guess I was kind of lucky to be able to do this since the job I left to become an internet marketer was freelance web design. So it was real easy to make the shift. I never would have been able to get laid off a job and start making money with internet marketing before I had to pay the next set of bills.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587606].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      The figure is complete rubbish. It gets tossed around so much that people assume it's true.
      ---gentle snip---
      p.s. If I never see that statistic (97%, 95%, 93.85%, etc.) again, I will be thrilled.
      I'm with you, Michael. I have had enough of seeing these dumb statistics over and over again. They're used far too much in over-hyped sales pitches, forum discussions, whatever. ENOUGH ALREADY!

      How about from now on, we all focus on the positives instead of the negatives - on people's successes, however small they are, instead of the failures?

      wouldn't that be a lot more productive and inspiring?
      Signature
      I love life!
      ---------------
      Free Web Tools
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5590182].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        I guess things are improving. Just last week someone posted that 99% of IMers fail. 2% more successes in just a week. Wow!

        Next time you "hear" such a figure - ask the person where they got that number. Where is the research published? Where are the facts? Chances are they 'read it on a forum'.:p

        kay
        Signature

        Saving one dog may not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5590217].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
        Banned
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5592334].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
          Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

          I think every member here should print that out and tape it to their monitor.

          Karen, that's exactly what I can't ever seem to grasp - why so many people want to focus on failing behaviors rather than successful ones.

          I guess a lot of people don't realize that they can learn from their failures and should focus on turning every negative into a positive.

          To follow up on my earlier post, it got me to thinking last night about those folks I know who failed at it and what the real underlying reason was.

          For one person, (who's a really great guy - hardworking, funny as hell and in his own way, pretty darn smart), he didn't really fail at it so much as just bailed out of it. He was making money, doing pretty well, but his main problem was he looked at from a blue collar approach. He needed constant supervision and motivation or he'd lose focus and his sense of direction.

          Two others I know were well educated, had a long history in offline marketing, but just couldn't seem to function well in a non-group environment. Both of them eventually went to offline sales positions. Ironically, they were both making money online, but just couldn't seem to grow their business activities beyond the level they were at.

          I think people getting into this business need to realize that it's not necessarily ideal for everyone. There's no shame in that - hell, not everyone is cut out to be a doctor or lawyer or talented enough to be an artist.

          I have a close friend who was introduced to IM by a friend of his - years later, my friend has achieved success far beyond anything he ever dreamed possible, while his friend is still spinning his wheels, talking about how he'll make it big someday.

          Everyone is different - no matter how hard we work, no matter how hard we try, in the real world, not everyone is going to make it. In my book that doesn't make them a failure at all - if they're smart enough to recognize that their best opportunity is in taking a different direction, then kudos to them.

          I got a little pissy in another thread the other day, because the underlying tone of the thread was basically beating up on people who were seeing smallish successes and berating them for not going after the biggest opportunities available. Basically calling everyone a failure if they weren't doing things a certain way.

          That's the kind of marketing mentality we need to drive out of this forum altogether and I suspect it's way so many people focus on failure. Their being made to feel like nothing they do is good enough, by people whose own claims to success are questionable, at best.

          @Everyone - There's no shame in making pennies a day or a few dollars a month. If you're satisfied with your present earnings and looking for ways to grow them, stay the course you'll get there sooner or later. Don't give up what success you've achieved to chase down models someone else thinks you should be doing...especially when they won't be there to pick up the pieces afterwards.

          Despite the hype, most of the truly large scale successes rarely happen overnight. And I'd point out that no one in what we think of as IM has ever even come close to the kind of phenomenal success of non-IM, online businesses out there.

          Just look at Google, Facebook, PayPal, Twitter, etc. - they were all started by people who had nothing to do with marketing or IM. Think about that - and then think about who you really should be paying attention to.
          great post, Mike! A million thank you's! I so believe that you don't have to follow IM gurus to make a decent living online, and that success doesn't have to mean that you make a bazillion dollars each month.

          Success means different things to different people, and it doesn't have to have anything to do with money or material things at all. Many people judge everything about others by what material things they have. That's just one form of success.

          Failure never has to be a negative if you look at it as a life lesson. Sometimes failure happens because we aren't supposed to be doing something, it's not our life's purpose. And the failure leads us to something that is far more rewarding and that will bless us at the soul level.

          You're right Mike, IM isn't for everyone, and just because someone's experience in IM doesn't pan out, doesn't mean the person is a failure. It means the person is or will be a success at something else more in line with their life purpose.

          To all you beginner marketers here in this forum: Sure learn from the top marketers in this forum, but do what works for you. Be true to yourself, and don't let setbacks make you feel like a failure. Sometimes the road to your own success can have many twists and turns, but you get there eventually.

          God, I love this forum!
          Signature
          I love life!
          ---------------
          Free Web Tools
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5595140].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RobertoMejia
    I think that many people fail to do everything that is necessary to create a strong business model. Many tedious and boring things get overlooked by most.

    A good example is testing and case studies. I can tell you that I am personally guilty of that. I don't do as much testing as I should. I know I should do more, but something always comes up. I know for a fact that many people are the same way.

    I read a quote somewhere that said, "To succeed, you have to be wiling to do things others will not." This is very true. I think that this is the main reason people fail.
    Signature
    Free ecommerce site - Sell products free, shop our products. Bootic, improving ecommerce.
    Auto Build It - Create marketing websites quickly and easily with Auto Build It
    Viral Monopoly Review - Create Viral traffic to your website with Viral Monopoly
    Mass Profit Sites Review - Create affiliate sites loaded with fresh content at the push of a button
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587705].message }}
  • I think there are TWO parts to this:

    1, The general reason that people fail in fitness, dating, investing, or any thing people look to self help products for: people are either too lazy or too scared to put in the work. Like 80% of people will fail at most things that are reasonably hard to do, due to a simple law of statistics: if what's sought is something special, by definition, most people aren't getting it. If you really look at it, like 70%+ of people "fail" at normal, mainstream stuff too, like holding a steady job.

    2, A second reason that applied SPECIFICALLY to IM. A lot of internet marketing gurus tell their clients, basically, to write books about internet marketing. They might not say this directly, but if you look at some peoples' material, you'll see that they're sort of pointing in this direction. The problem with this approach is that by telling you to create IM products about IM, they're basically saying "compete with me in a market that I've already got way more headway in using the exact same ideas I'm using." Obviously, you're going to lose if you do that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587775].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Gram
    There are a million reasons why people fail in business...it's not limited to internet marketing.

    Could be your idea. If you are running East looking for a sunset, you are screwed.
    Could be they don't hustle hard enough or they quit too early.
    Could be they don't have the entrepreneur mindset and aren't cut out for it.

    One of the key reasons that I believe people fail is that they set their sights way too low. If you are trying to make a few hundred a day maybe you will get it but if you are seriously trying to make $50,000 per month, the actions you take will be much different than someone trying to make $2,000 per month.

    Think big, go after it hard, don't quit, change your approach if need be, but never quit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587807].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NicoleBeckett
      Originally Posted by Paul Gram View Post

      If you are running East looking for a sunset, you are screwed.
      LOL... Paul, you should make t-shirts with this very statement! You could probably make a decent living just by selling them to fellow Warriors!! :p

      TB, I had the same response as you - that figure sounds right. Now, I'm wondering if it's actually a little low. The reasons that you and some of the other folks have pointed out are totally valid. There's one more that no one's mentioned yet, and it has to do with a nasty 4-letter word... work! The amount of people I see actively avoiding work is astonishing. And, unfortunately, it's not just an IM thing; it's part of every industry. You wouldn't believe how many reporters used to tell me that they didn't have a story for the day because "nothing happened"
      Signature
      Sick of blending in with the crowd? Ready to stand ahead of the pack? The right content writing services can get you there...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587841].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SamuelUherek
    I don't think 97% is an accurate number. There is many people who make $50,000 but they don't spend time here. It's just to scare new ones. A marketing move.

    And I agree that one of the things that keeps people away from earning $50K/year is perseverance. You just can't expect you will make 10K tomorrow. Once you stop thinking about the big numbers and begin with an action plan, you won't believe how fast you can get to the 10K point. However, everyone begins with 0.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587899].message }}
  • yea its 90% work ethic and 10% method.

    IM is just like any other job , you gotta work hard to get were you wanna be. The only difference with IM is you can work from home in the nude lol
    Signature

    Fraser Mackie
    Affiliate Manager
    Sellhealth.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587916].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sandor Verebi
    Originally Posted by Alyona The Publicist View Post

    Because many spend too much time here flaming more experienced warriors and ridiculing newbies instead of learning something!!
    Alyona, point taken!


    Anyway, I don't know if the above stat is correct or not. But I saw a lot of people who catch it on something that s/he gave up after a while.

    Reasons are plenty, severals listed above. Speaking from my coaching experience:


    #1. It isn't enough just to buy a course, if you put it aside without reading.

    #2. It isn't enough just to read, try to absorb it, because you may forget it in an hour if disturbed.

    #3. It isn't enough just to read the course, you need to understand the steps.

    #4. If you stuck in a section, read it as many times as you need to understand that part.

    #5. If (nevertheless) something isn't clear, do not be shy to ask.

    #6. Implement what you learn in the order as parts of the course are based on each other.

    #7. Don't miss an intermediate step, because you believe that you already know it.

    #8. Do the assignments always: they help you to understand the concept, and you're practicing on yourself.

    #9. If you start something, finish it! Otherwise you waste your money and both of our time.

    I'd like to reveal something you need to know: the 'magic button' haven't been included in the next shiny offer, so you needn't jump from one course to another.

    Many successes,

    Sandor
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587918].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KingKuba
    It's a lot of work and lot harder than most people realize so the stat is probably close to the truth.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5587933].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ord Allenbea
    The Famous 97% thing is a made up number. There is no logical fact behind that number at all. Do people fail ? Yes they do but as humans how do we learn best; by failure. Once we have learned how to fail we then start to realize how not to fail.

    The basis of the 97% failure rate is more funny than anything because there are no studies that could possibly even figure that percentage.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5588091].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5588472].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
      Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

      Whenever someone quotes statistics, I insistently ask for a link pointing to the actual data or study proving what it is they're parroting. In this case, at least the OP indicated he'd heard it and is asking about it.

      My answer is based on the results of friends and colleagues who became involved in some form of IM business. From that perspective, I'd say the number is more like 7% to 10% genuinely failed at it.

      Of the rest, each has achieved some level of success that they're satisfied with and based on what i know of them, their successes were commensurate with their abilities/personalities.

      Among them, they're earning anywhere from a few hundred a month on up to $50k or more monthly. None of them has expressed any dissatisfaction with where they're presently at.

      I guess it comes down to how one defines success and failure and looks at whether or not the individual's goals are being met.
      Hi Mike,

      I also noticed that the OP seemed to be questioning the veracity of the statistic. Reading the OP as a whole, however, makes it look like we have, yet again, another blind parroting of the statistic.

      While I didn't write it in my response, my guess (based on nothing more than a gut feeling) was that about 15% actually fail, and that seems to be close to your number.

      Perhaps the most irritating thing about the statistic is that you fail as soon as you stop trying, making the entire premise of the quote suspect.

      EDIT: I just had a quick thought...

      The majority of this thread points out why people aren't as successful as thy could be. I won't say what it is right away, but I will say that the answer is somewhat ironic.

      All the best,
      Michael
      Signature

      "Ich bin en fuego!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5588538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mandos123
    That's seems a bit inaccurate. However, it depends what you consider as IM? if someone has a blog of "cats" and he/she puts adsense code on it and he/she doesn't earn anything is this FAIL?
    Signature

    None

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5588590].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    Internet marketing is a system. You have to learn it very well, and work on it. It’s not as simple as described by all the gurus that want to make you spend your money buying a series of magical courses that will help you make money ‘while you sleep’.


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5588614].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Breakinglink
    The little steps are a good point. It is something that I have had to learn over time. 10k a month doesnt just happen over night.
    Signature

    "Someday" is a disease that will take your dreams to the grave with you.


    Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that's the stuff life is made of. -Ben Franklin

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5589083].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Newstart111
    I agree with the idea of IM being a long term "work hard at it" type of business. Its like anything else out there, you have to dedicate to it and stick with it. So as long as the method you are using works in the first place. My long term plan, for the next 2 years, is to build several blogs/sites where I post useful information for people to read and hope they click on ads. One of those sites being for my MLM product Laminine and the others being horticulture and gardening sites. I'm hoping to be making enough money 2 years from now that I can not only pay my bills, but that I can afford to pay tuition for a 4 year school.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5589708].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Internetoholic
      This stats are funny.
      Whenever i found interesting niche there are this sick stats saying:

      92% people lose on forex, why?
      95% people fail at playing poker, why?
      97% people fail at IM, why?

      How about, go to work and shut up? Those statistics are for deceptive people, so they will give up and go to work-time everyday and don't be competetive for smarter people.

      Wake up.

      If you want, you get whatever you want ;-)
      Signature

      Find me here

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5589748].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author reactiontm
    I'm brand new here, have built a few businesses from scratch and due to a number of strange circumstances in my current industry, am looking for the next thing to do.

    Not planning to be in the "97%" and have beaten the odds in plenty of other situations, but after lurking around for a bit, I have a few questions, if someone would be so kind to answer...

    1- Many of you mention trying a bunch of stuff that was crap. How do you separate the bull from the real deal in this field (is it easier to identify what works or what certainly won't work)?
    2- I'm a big believer in playing to one's strengths. Has anyone ever laid out what things are best suited to what types of people?
    3- A lot of this looks like selling IM ideas to IM-wannabe's and offering "how to get a free Ipad" report to suckers while charging an amount that's more of a PITA to bother with trying to get a refund. Who's using IM to create real, useful value for clients and customers?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5589947].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ActA
    Do a survey, if you ask them, the numbers will point to 300% successful internet marketers ) they all give advice but wait the monthly neobux payouts ))
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5589980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mlord10
    I think the #1 reason most new marketers fail is "shiny object" syndrome. There are so many well-intentioned, world-class copywriters & internet marketers out there that make each and every new product come out seem like the greatest thing since sliced bread.

    While I have certainly purchased my fair share of products, it is important to remember that in order to really succeed online, you need to invest in things that are pertinent to your business:

    Training & Resources.

    You need to "get trained" so you will know what you are doing, and then you need to invest your money into resources that can get you there...think about it; do most people that fail really need that next $27 ebook, or would they be better served spending that money on a partial link-building campaign to rank for certain keyword that would send qualified, buyer traffic to their site?

    Once you learn how to manage your resources SMARTER, then you can go from being in the 97% to the 3% who make it in this business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5590005].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JDub07
    I think it is just mainly not getting starting and following through with stuff. When things get difficult you have to bootstrap it and fight through.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5590134].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Centurian
    I was judging a policy debate competition in D.C. today and a speaker's quote caught my attention. Got me thinking about this very question.

    Apply these three principles to power your dreams.

    1. Activity, Effort, and Work = Growth

    "All growth depends on activity. There's no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work." - Calvin Coolidge

    Takeaway: Success in your business requires work. Work requires effort. If you're not doing a lot of activity and work, you get no results. Get out the couch and make something happen.


    2. Focus Your Energy to Create Power


    "One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular." - Tony Robbins

    Takeaway: Choose a business model or system on this forum. Focus on it until you master it. Your focus channels all your energy into one activity. You have to focus the sun to create heat and fire.


    3. Persistence Means Anyone Can Win

    "Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated failures. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." (one of my favorite quotes also by Calvin Coolidge)

    Takeaway: Never quit. You can do it if you press on.

    Free Bonus:

    "Energy and persistence conquer all things." Benjamin Franklin

    "In time of darkest defeat, victory may be nearest." - William McKinley.

    What's stopping you?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5590241].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaggieDavid
    Wow! read this thread with interest, it certainly has stirred up some emotions.

    I guess is all comes down as to what is seen by failure by the person who gave internet marketing a try and then decided it wasn't for them.

    I rather look at it like this, internet marketing is part of my life and it fits in well VS my life doesn't fit in well with internet marketing.

    think about what I have written there, not everyone is suited to Internet Marketing, not everyone is suited to work at home, not everyone can work unsupervised. Not everyone is burning to succeed with a whole of bunch of goals like many of us, I know would have on a dream board by their computer.

    Life is more colourful and varied than just internet marketing. We tend to think, we are "IT", we have it all, but then some others who maybe have tried this, and decided that it isn't for them and now work say driving buses, with set shifts and a set income, may think they have "IT"

    If all the world were Internet marketers wouldn't life be boring.

    Take Care
    Signature

    To Your Success
    Maggie
    6StarMedia - Website Design, Business/Corporate Design, SEO, Copyrighting and Website Management Services Plus much more

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5590315].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author matchoo77
      I started in 2006 as an affiliate of ticketsnow.com. I started with a sitebuildit site, gave it a whirl for about 30 days...and then quit due to burnout and discouragement. The thing that really discouraged me is a post in a forum that basically stated that most affiliates fail/do not make very much money (from a moderator of the forum who was touted as a guru in the sitebuildit guide).

      That changed when I got a $400 check in the mail about 4 months later. Now I am full time and have made 6 figures each of the last 3 years (not still promoting ticket sites though).

      Do NOT let stupid statistics discourage you....if you have the drive to make it in IM you can be successful. Statistics/naysayers/doubters be darned.
      Signature

      Join Microcapmillionaires Affiliate Program (new tools!):http://members.microcapmillionaires....273-affiliates

      Attention Stock Investing/Trading, Forex & Binary Options Marketers: PM me or send email to microcapmillionaires [at] gmail if you'd like to join my new Mastermind Group, where you can rub elbows with million dollar marketers and grow your business quickly!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5590444].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
        Because they stop taking action.

        Here’s a post which explains this more. (I hope people find it helpful.)

        http://www.warriorforum.com/mind-war...ss-secret.html
        Signature
        "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5594264].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

          Because they stop taking action.

          Here’s a post which explains this more. (I hope people find it helpful.)

          http://www.warriorforum.com/mind-war...ss-secret.html
          This is exactly my mindset!

          "See, in my mind the only reason I can fail at being a successful entrepreneur is if I stop trying"

          Great post by the way. I can't tell you how much I agree with this!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5594669].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
            Thanks TBInternetMarketing. : )
            Signature
            "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5594687].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dennis19601
    Originally Posted by TBInternetMarketing View Post

    So that's the stat I heard yesterday.

    My first question is do you think that's accurate? It sounds a bit extreme at first glance, but then I crunched the numbers.

    First of all, let's define what determines failing.

    Well since the "dream" if you like for most people here is to become a full time internet marketer, lets set that as the cut-off line between failing and succeeding.

    Let's say 97% of people who start internet marketing, don't end up doing it full time.

    Ok, so the numbers...Let's say there are 5,000 people on the Warrior Forum at any given time (on average).
    If only 3% of them are not failing at internet marketing, that would mean that at any given time there 150 people online who are making a full time living online I.e probably at least $50,000 a year.

    So what do you think now? Does that 97% stat sound right?


    My second question is, if this is the case, then why is that?

    My opinion is that it comes down to two things.

    1) Lack of focus

    Jumping around from one method to another looking for a magic bullet.

    2) Lack of perseverance

    Giving up because it's too hard, instead of trying to first make $5 a day for a month, then $10 a day for a month, then $50 a day etc.

    I know from personal experience, once I got past those 2 barriers, I started really seeing some results online!


    Your thoughts?
    Hi TB ?
    The only figures I go by is what is available from the small business association and a few research groups, the only guide I use to form a opinion is based on brick and mortar business's but then you can't just categorize it by saying the stats apply across the board because just like off line business's failure rate depends on the type or sub niche category,restaurants as an example seem to have a very high failure rate verses many other type of business's and it is also related to time and money they have to invest as well as work ethic and management.

    1. Now what all that means to me is certain niches are harder to succeed than others!

    2.Your Success or failure is directly related to a few common things like
    supply and demand, Investment you can put into it (both time And Money).

    3. You need to have the work ethic (Hard Work),determination to succeed no matter what and proper focus and planning.

    4. proper focus means disregarding everything except one thing at a time to do, whether that's deciding what to delegate and pay someone else to do or what you need to do next and then the next thing after that,etc.

    5.proper planning means knowing where your going and using the best and most leveraged way to get there, and in my opinion most people will not do the work and invest in themselves and there future because of doubts (not knowing what to do next and how)

    So In my Opinion Most people will never make it online long term with life changing income without a mentor/Business advisor that's been there and done that and walks the walk! There's a lot of talk online and little walking the walk!
    There Is A Video On one of my blogs that covers the cost of success
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5590407].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HollyStar
      I think the reason why 97% of people fail at internet marketing, is the same reason 99% of the world is "failing". We all follow the same lie, just digest it through our own ways, and regurgitate to the world again, never stopping to think if what we are doing, actually makes sense - to ourselves.

      Most of the big money makers enjoy their status, presidency and ego. Do you really believe they're going to give you ALL of their secrets, so you too can share their crown?? Of course not. Plus we're all different, what works for one or two people, isn't supposed to work for everyone.
      Signature
      IF YOU NEED A VOICE OVER FOR YOUR PROJECTS AND WEBSITES I'M YOUR GIRL! SPECIAL TO WARRIORS >>>> http://www.needavoiceover.com

      LEARN TO BE A SUCCESSFUL VOICE OVER ARTIST
      http://www.mouthymoney.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5594215].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I believe the stats. Most people fail due to confusion, hype, hot air advice, lack of persistance... and simply not knowing what to do when it comes to traffic generation.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5590457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paperchasing
    Gotta love this made-up stat. 97%? Who was counting? Who defined what "failure" means?" Answer: nobody, and nobody. As for why most people fail? Because most people fail at anything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5590670].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Marshall
    My own success has come through perseverance, perseverance and even more perseverance! I learned from each failure and gradually fund how to create an income.

    One of the keys to my success was to decide on the day's actions, write them down on a piece of paper, and do them! It is very easy to spend the day working hard but not doing the important things that need to be done!

    Kind regards,

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5592634].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marhelper
    I have to say:

    1. No real Plan

    2. Lack of focus (get caught up in the newest thing)

    3. Unwilling to work hard and stick at it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5592784].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheSpokesman
    People set unrealistic goals. Everyone wants to make a million dollars online, and whatever their massive number is they approach it as strictly pass/fail. They need to adjust their definition of success.

    Let's say you walked away from a $40,000/year job to become a full time Internet Marketer. In your first year as an Internet Marketer you do very well and make $75,000. Now, 75k is a far cry from a million but wouldn't you classify this as a success?

    Set realistic goals and focus on growing your business over time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5592880].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author EddyWoo
      Lack of Desire and a wife

      Until they understand what they TRUELY want in life, there is no point in asking the same old questions again & again.

      Yes, a wife would be MOST useful when you got distract by some shiny object.Who say nagging doesn't work
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5593145].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Roan
    3. Lack of action taking
    Signature

    Are You Looking For a High Quality Shopify + FB ads Course? PM me. - Only available for ONE person. Be Quick.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5592954].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author steven sanderson
    Hi there

    Here is one big reason i would like to point out

    Think in reverse !!

    We all love things ok, things have been our life since birth,
    We have progressed through life learning how to get things,
    food, clothes, friends, cars, money, jobs, relationships, etc etc etc

    In fact our whole survival process revolves around getting things,
    we live by it, we survive by it, we strive for it.

    NOW STOP !!

    What you need to be aware off is that you are trying to sell to human
    beings, people just like you, people who live by the same laws, to get things, all sorts of things just like we mentioned above.

    So what you need to be doing is thinking in reverse, i hear so many people on here saying how can i earn this much, how can i make lots of money, how can i pack in my job and earn enough money working from home !! etc etc

    I dont hear many people saying how can i give, how can i give so much value because this is of greater priority to how much i can earn !!

    Well this is how you should be thinking, only when you start putting value ahead of your need will you then start to gain respect. The people you are trying to sell to, those very people who want to get as much as they can will stand up and look at you because you have given them way more than they could have ever imagined, you have got their attention and their respect, and they will not forget that.

    You will be creating an instant relationship. Remember we all want to buy stuff, we just dont like being sold too !! So build that respect by thinking in reverse, only then will you reap the financial rewards.

    All the best,
    Steven.
    Signature
    [RAVE REVIEWS] WSO - THIS MAY JUST BE THE BEST INVESTMENT YOU EVER MAKE !!

    DON'T BELIEVE ME, CLICK THE LINK AND SEE FOR YOURSELF http://www.warriorplus.com/wso/view/40365
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5593038].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
    Originally Posted by TBInternetMarketing View Post

    So that's the stat I heard yesterday.

    My first question is do you think that's accurate? It sounds a bit extreme at first glance, but then I crunched the numbers.

    First of all, let's define what determines failing.

    Well since the "dream" if you like for most people here is to become a full time internet marketer, lets set that as the cut-off line between failing and succeeding.

    Let's say 97% of people who start internet marketing, don't end up doing it full time.

    Ok, so the numbers...Let's say there are 5,000 people on the Warrior Forum at any given time (on average).
    If only 3% of them are not failing at internet marketing, that would mean that at any given time there 150 people online who are making a full time living online I.e probably at least $50,000 a year.

    So what do you think now? Does that 97% stat sound right?


    My second question is, if this is the case, then why is that?

    My opinion is that it comes down to two things.

    1) Lack of focus

    Jumping around from one method to another looking for a magic bullet.

    2) Lack of perseverance

    Giving up because it's too hard, instead of trying to first make $5 a day for a month, then $10 a day for a month, then $50 a day etc.

    I know from personal experience, once I got past those 2 barriers, I started really seeing some results online!


    Your thoughts?
    The percentage or actual number of people who fail/succeed
    is unknowable so let's just be content with the notion that stats
    like that are tossed around by marketers who want to sell the
    solution.

    That aside, I disagree with your definition of success... mainly
    because it's your definition... and that's the point.

    Everyone defines success differently according to their own
    wants, needs and beliefs.

    The best definition I've ever heard comes from an old audio
    recording called The Strangest Secret by Earl Nightingale.

    Nightingale defines success as "the progressive realization of
    a worthy ideal." I think that sounds about right.

    If a person sets a goal to earn $500, goes about learning the
    correct skills, applies those skills, and earns the $500, that person
    is a success.

    On the other hand, if another person does all the same things
    but sets their goal at $50,000 but earns only $40,000 within
    the time limit they set in their goal, they have failed.

    So... be careful how you toss around words like success or failure.
    They mean different things to different people.
    Signature
    If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5593122].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Manuelcrc
    The problem I see here is that people are too scared to take sizable risks. Just like this post says: Here
    Signature

    [B]Get free resources for Entrepreneurs and Startups.

    Check out our collection of Product and Business Reviews?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5593288].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randy Engler
    I think it's the same reason a similar percentage of people fail at forex trading... they are expecting easy money. When they find out it takes hard work, discipline, learning, testing, and even failure before success, they give up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5593589].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ewan1998
      Banned
      Originally Posted by AlbertaPilot View Post

      I think it's the same reason a similar percentage of people fail at forex trading... they are expecting easy money. When they find out it takes hard work, discipline, learning, testing, and even failure before success, they give up.
      Your right.

      People who start out think it's easy as 123. They expect to get rich overnight. First, they need to do their research into the niche their choosing instead of creating a web page and expecting millions of visitors to flood in overnight. IM isn't for everyone, and especially not for the people who aren't willing to put the time and effort into it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5594712].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author himanuzo
    Like offline business, all online business need hard work..... to reach any targeted goals.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5594019].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author buckeyes09
    What does "fail" even mean? Is it not living a lifestyle of the rich and famous? Is it not making money?

    Although not really touched upon, execution is another part of it. How often do we read posts about people who do everything right, but who just don't execute well?
    Signature

    Christian

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5594263].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hanakuza
    People fail because they think it would be easy. It usually takes successful internet marketers a long period of nothingness and failure before hitting the nail with good earnings. I guess a whole lot of people don't have that perseverance in them to make it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5594437].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ckbank
    Originally Posted by Alyona The Publicist View Post

    Because many spend too much time here flaming more experienced warriors and ridiculing newbies instead of learning something!!
    Right on! I can't say how many times I've asked a question on this forum and there would always be a couple of individuals with smart$$$ remarks or put downs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5595161].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ewan1998
      Banned
      Originally Posted by ckbank View Post

      Right on! I can't say how many times I've asked a question on this forum and there would always be a couple of individuals with smart$$$ remarks or put downs.
      Just ignore them though. They'll get nowhere.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5595210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author louise0evans
    people need to learn to channel their energies
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5595211].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ord Allenbea
    This is not the first thread of this kind that has been posted online. What I find amazing is how popular a thread like this becomes no matter how many times it is posted. Human nature (97% of humans anyways) is to always look for the negative instead of the positive but at least that leaves 3% that are always looking at the positives in life and I am sure those 3% are far more successful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5595259].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gojiberryman
    I totally agree with TBinternetmarketing's post. The stats that has been posted are actually very accurate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5595590].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ord Allenbea
      Can you please provide a case study or a link to a site that has all these stats ? How do you come to the conclusion that 97% fail ?

      Originally Posted by gojiberryman View Post

      I totally agree with TBinternetmarketing's post. The stats that has been posted are actually very accurate.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5595803].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ThelemaqueTip
    People Fail in internet Marketing because they looking for a loop hole to get rich quick. When they have realize it take a lot of work and in Time so they quit and say its a scams..
    My Opinion is if they take time to learn about it first, before they pursuit internet marketing i think they will be a lot more successful internet marketers..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5595834].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Haroon Ballim
      I believe many of these stats are sucked out of thin air . Who has completed these surveys ?
      How many here have actually received any kind of questionaire asking if you have tried Internet marketing and what the outcome has been. I doubt many if any. Even than surveys can be very lopsided and slanted.

      However I do believe many including myself have bought offers and than just parked them for later perusal before we did not want to miss out on what seemed like a one time deal. Most have day jobs and the time required to succeed at and learn IM is not as quick as some try to make out. It takes a lot of trial and error and learning from mistakes . Too often people get bitten and just walk away. Which is a pity as the are ways to succeed as there is in anything in life .

      Its a matter of finding the right thing [easier said than done ] , and than going full out to make it happen
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5595933].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Scott Skinner
    Four words, NO PLAN, NO COMMITTMENT

    Truth be told, most people lack the discipline to sit down and methodically draw up a realistic plan, step by step, let alone the perseverance to follow thru on it.

    The average business takes two years to show a profit. And that is when every single step is painstakingly planned for and followed.


    Now, using the internet can streamline the process, however, you still have to start at step 1.... PLAN!.....

    Know what you are going to do, step by step, day by day, for at least the next year, make adjustments along the way and do not quit.


    Ummm... that's nice, but I think I'll just proceed to the next $47 ebook that promises untold riches overnight for pushing a few buttons.....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5596111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paul_1
    I have to agree as well with your 2 reasons.

    Also, just to add - they need to remember that failing at first is so normal in the IM world - especially if you're on your own. Most of the successful IMs now failed miserably at first. But that didn't stop them to figure out the what worked for them. In other words, don't stop till you finally get it right
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5597174].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dennis19601
    Here is some positive stats and resources:

    Too many businesses fail because people do not test their market plan and manage the business properly.


    Information from Link Research in a 1996 survey of 5,000 Home Office Computing readers reported that 20 million businesses found the most challenging business tasks to be

    1) marketing to gain additional business; 2) time management; 3) financial record keeping; 4) avoiding overhead when possible; and 5) assistance in managing varied responsibilities.
    Lack of planning and insufficient financial backing join poor management as the main reasons why businesses fail.

    Improve your odds of success by moving slowly and carefully in starting a business and you can join the 95 percent of those who succeeded in their first year and the 85 percent who are still in business and doing very well after three years.
    Go here to see the site yourself
    Home-Based Business... Is It For Me?

    This site is referred from the SBA although they don’t endorse anyone.
    I would recommend following the SBA guidelines for home based business’s and apply it to you internet business.
    Check it out here:
    Starting & Managing a Business | SBA.gov
    This is great advice from people who have been there and lived it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5597650].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prian
    Im failing to get 10k on my first month..
    Is that counted?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5597671].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author suhsia329
      2 main reasons for the failure:

      1) Don't have a goal
      • Without any goal, you'll just give up easily and give yourself a lot of excuses.
      • So the 1st thing before you really want to get involved in this field is: SET YOUR GOAL!!
      2) don't have correct mindset
      • One of the important elements to success in internet marketing is TIME!!
      • EUI: Educating yourself, Understanding & Implementing. all these need your time....
      Remember: The skills to success in Internet Marketing is LEARNABLE!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5597876].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AllproJJ
    My opinion as to why people fail is that they just don't have patience. If they don't see results "right away" than they want to quit or move onto something else. I think some people often have this thinking where if they don't make money immediately they potentially could be wasting their time.

    In order to fully test any one method you have to give it time. On the other hand you don't want to overdo it and sit on the same technique or strategy forever thinking that maybe it will produce results.

    Balance is key with your thinking.
    Signature
    Follow Me On My INTERNET MARKETING Journey - JJBlouin.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5597953].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shireen
    I run ebay workshop twice a year. Normally people who fail in this business have this characteristics:

    1) negative mindset

    2) constantly procrastinate

    3) lazy

    4) want quick fix
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5598317].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marcus Demanse
    Truth of the matter is... IM takes a ton of hard work.
    The 4 Hour Work Week is total crap.... until you've worked your butt off for years.

    Lots of unrealistic expectations and lack of follow through.


    Originally Posted by TBInternetMarketing View Post

    So that's the stat I heard yesterday.

    My first question is do you think that's accurate? It sounds a bit extreme at first glance, but then I crunched the numbers.

    First of all, let's define what determines failing.

    Well since the "dream" if you like for most people here is to become a full time internet marketer, lets set that as the cut-off line between failing and succeeding.

    Let's say 97% of people who start internet marketing, don't end up doing it full time.

    Ok, so the numbers...Let's say there are 5,000 people on the Warrior Forum at any given time (on average).
    If only 3% of them are not failing at internet marketing, that would mean that at any given time there 150 people online who are making a full time living online I.e probably at least $50,000 a year.

    So what do you think now? Does that 97% stat sound right?


    My second question is, if this is the case, then why is that?

    My opinion is that it comes down to two things.

    1) Lack of focus

    Jumping around from one method to another looking for a magic bullet.

    2) Lack of perseverance

    Giving up because it's too hard, instead of trying to first make $5 a day for a month, then $10 a day for a month, then $50 a day etc.

    I know from personal experience, once I got past those 2 barriers, I started really seeing some results online!


    Your thoughts?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5598438].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J Bold
    It's true a lot are failures at any given time but there may be a time when they finally become successful and can support themselves full-time from IM income.

    Also, 97% of the statistics about the percentage of people who fail in IM are made-up as nobody can truly tell unless they carry out a rigorous, scientific study.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5598450].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ZK
    I'm not sure about the numbers, BUT i do agree with your reasons
    i'd also add ACTION to the list

    Many and Many people do have a lot of knowledge but they just are bad at taking action, either because they are trying to perfect their projects or because they are not very sure about how exactly they should finalize things

    There is an important rule that i learned a long time ago READY, FIRE, AIM! there is even a book on amazon with that title, once you know about the subject GO with it and then try to aim and enhance, that will make you actually start action rather than keep thinking and perfecting with nothing on the ground!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5598508].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    Originally Posted by TBInternetMarketing View Post

    Let's say 97% of people who start internet marketing, don't end up doing it full time.
    Half the people who say they want to be internet marketers don't do anything. So only 50% make it through there.

    Half the people who do something don't do enough of it to matter. So only 25% make it through there.

    Half those people don't do it long enough to make any money. Now we're down to 12.5% of them.

    Half the people who do it long enough to make money stop doing it. That's 6.25% who make it past here.

    Half the people who keep doing it never scale it up enough to make it a full-time income. That's 3.125% who make it.

    And that leaves 96.875% of the people who started this process failing, which rounds up to 97% and there you go.
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5599074].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author The Marketeer
    Thanks for a very interesting post.

    Its so easy to get distracted by the hundreds of shiny objects coming out every day.

    In my experience the best way to avoid failure is to get a mentor who has achieved what you want to achieve.

    And then work hard to get the results you want.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5599092].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mosthost
    97% of people fail at internet marketing because the other 3% are very, very good!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5599094].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Haroon Ballim
    People dont really fail as such , they simply think that IM means much less work than a 9 to 5 job. You gotta work at it constantly
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5751373].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    Maybe this has already been covered as I didn't read all the responses. Could the high failure rate come from people spending too much time hanging out on forums studying failure rather than what actually works?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5751429].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thekaver
    The main reason I feel people fail is the try to take too much on to earlier on and spread themselves too thinly!

    Thanks

    TheKaver
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5751434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NakedBen
    Most people "trying" to make money online are employees at heart. No real idea what it means to operate a business.

    We've all had friends in the "offline" world who said, "I'm gonna quit and show my boss who's boss! I'm going to start a company and put him out of business."

    A few month's later you say, "Have you beat your boss' butt yet?"

    "Uhhh.... do you know anything about payroll?" he replies.

    The bottom line is that he had no real idea what he was getting into. He knew the job he did, but didn't see the business as a whole.

    It's one thing to get a check for your work. It's another to actually produce the money for the check.

    So that's one reason people fail in business. But the possibilities are massive...

    1. Wrong mindset.
    2. Under capitalized.
    3. Unreal expectations.
    4. Following a fake guru.
    5. Lacking time and effort.
    6. Focusing on products rather than people.
    7. Profitless niche.
    8. Doing video and you stink at it.
    9. Scratching your left ear when your right one itches.
    10. Non-supportive spouse.
    11. Support spouse that won't stop encouraging.
    12. Too old.
    13. Too young.
    14. Too lazy.
    15. No legit business plan.
    16. ADD
    17. ADHD
    18. Anal.
    19. Believer of lies.
    20. Taking action then getting disappointed because it was magic.
    21. Buying WSOs leaving a great review but not applying the training.
    22. Buying every new product that comes out.
    23. Thinking "This is IT!!"
    24. Thinking "This is a SCAM!"
    25. Not sticking with one model and plan.
    26. Entering a market you know nothing about.
    27. Not focusing on traffic.
    28. Not focusing on traffic.
    29. Not focusing on traffic.
    30. Getting mad at gurus for not mailing for you.
    31. Creating a stinky product from PLR.
    32. Trying to eliminate yourself from the profit equation.
    33. Falling for products that tell you to click 3 buttons.
    34. Quitting.
    35. Asking advice of people who haven't made a dime!!!!!!!!!
    36. Following the herd.
    37. Never building a list.
    38. Not listening to Ben Franklin.
    39. Plus many, many more.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5751491].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author icegin
    I agree -- lack of perseverance and lack of focus are very big problems for people who try and fail to earn online. I'll admit that there was a point where I was constantly searching for the magic bullet and it got me nowhere. The best thing to do is to do the research, implement and experiment with one or two methods and don't get distracted -- if the results aren't great, it doesn't necessarily mean that the method(s) in question don't work. Unfortunately, a lot of people immediately give up without trying to pinpoint the reasons why they aren't getting the desired results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5751884].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jwmann2
    Great post. In order to be successful, you have to put in the work. There are no get rich quick schemes just tons of hard work. Great content doesn't hurt either. A lot of internet marketers are just their for the profits and don't care about the readers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5751900].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author symoneblake
    yeah that so true, there are a lot of magic bullet out there and so many formula.. i don't know what method i should choose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5753790].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics

  • 36 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Better/cheaper solution than Mailchimp?

    altar22 in Internet Marketing

    Hi all, I have an e-commerce on Squarespace and I make my own product (jewelry). I want to start building an email list in order to promote 1 great offer ... [read more]

  • 51 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Are you the Warrior of the Month?

    so.....we are launching the Warrior of the Month mini competition... Yes... every Month we will announce who was the Warrior with the most valuable post. This is our own small ... [read more]

  • 4 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    How to link Autoresponder to your landing page.

    Is it possible to connect gogvo autoresponder to any landing page I create. For example if create landing page from weebly can i connect it with govoo autoresponder?

  • 1 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    video intelligence SSP contextual monetization opportunities

    alexj9 in Ad Networks

    Hi there, With dmexco this year I had the chance to meet some companies that I feel tempted to collaborate with. video intelligence launched a new product that analyses website ... [read more]

  • 128 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Warriors .... Warriors.... what would you like to LEARN?

    Good Morning awesome Warriors... I'm happy to announce that The Warrior Forum is planning to create our first COURSE. Yes... Powered by Warrior Wisdom... yeah!! Made at home. But before ... [read more]