Employers wanting a report when they mean ebook

by Peeps66 21 replies
I see lots of people say they want a report on the likes of Guru when it is obvious that they want an ebook.

This is no doubt through courses that tell you that if you ask for a report instead of an ebook then you will get it a lot cheaper.

Any writer worth their salt would know it is an ebook you wanted. I guess they would also come to the conclusion that you are new to the game and more likely to take advantage of you than the other way around.

I would guess that if the writer isn't savvy enough to know you want an ebook then they're not going to produce high quality work.
#main internet marketing discussion forum #ebook #employers #report #wanting
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author wizzard74
    I don't profess to being a mind reader, so I would ask them what they really want. It doesn't show that you are new, it shows that you don't make an assumption and get it wrong and annoy them.

    So no if you have to ask someone what they really want, doesn't automatically mean you're going to produce rubbish work.
    Signature

    You don't want to click here --> Richard Arblaster

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727418].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Peeps66 View Post

    Employers wanting a report when they mean ebook
    Originally Posted by Peeps66 View Post

    I see lots of people say they want a report on the likes of Guru when it is obvious that they want an ebook.
    I see occasional people referring to "employers" when it's obvious they actually mean "clients", myself ... :p
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WhiteDove
    I agree, just ask the question.
    Signature

    Dianne
    WhiteDove
    War Room Member

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727435].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peeps66
      For example these were submitted by the same person

      50 Page Report On How To Train Your Cat
      50 Pg Report On Getting Your Ex Back
      50 Page Report On How To Please Your Man
      40 Page Report On How To Attract A Girl
      70 Page Report On Money-Making Ideas

      All with a budget of less than $250 and written with virtually a straight copy of a template suggesed in recent courses to get an ebook on the cheap.

      To me these suggest an ebook.

      Lots of people do want reports and yes if you are not sure then if they are worth their salt Then they will answer.

      Perhaps it shouldn't bother me and I should ignore it and get on with life. I just don't like seeing people get taken advantage of.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727517].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Peeps66
        I was really talking at the bottom of the ladder here where people's intentions are not to want quality nor to treat people as people but to scrape everything out of them knowing that these writers need the money.

        Yesterday I read a thread regarding somebody being blackmailed into doing far more work than was decribed in his fiverr advert because he didn't want his rating affected then receive less work.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727564].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sadiecopywriter
        Originally Posted by Peeps66 View Post

        For example these were submitted by the same person

        50 Page Report On How To Train Your Cat
        50 Pg Report On Getting Your Ex Back
        50 Page Report On How To Please Your Man
        40 Page Report On How To Attract A Girl
        70 Page Report On Money-Making Ideas
        Did you see that on an outsourcing site like Elance? I only ask because a lot of the people there can't speak English so the words might be interchangeable to them.
        Signature

        Mercedes
        Need Free & Legal images for your books & blogs?
        Check out the FREE Little Black Book of Royalty Free Images.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5728008].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Peeps66
          Originally Posted by sadiecopywriter View Post

          Did you see that on an outsourcing site like Elance? I only ask because a lot of the people there can't speak English so the words might be interchangeable to them.
          He was Jamaican. It was a template copy straight out of a course. He may of copied it from somebody else on the outsource site and think that this is the way to write and price things.

          However 'Market Forces' I suppose. If you have specialised knowledge/skills then you are in a bargaining position. If you don't then you battle for the scraps.

          I'll go off now and lick my wounds!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5728201].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author rosetrees
            Originally Posted by Peeps66 View Post

            For example these were submitted by the same person

            50 Page Report On How To Train Your Cat
            ...........
            To me these suggest an ebook.
            Originally Posted by Will Edwards View Post

            Personally, I don't think it matters too much what your prospect calls the requirement. Surely the word length is what is important.

            50 page report
            50 page ebook

            What's the difference?

            Will
            In my world there's a big difference. A 50 page ebook on "How to train your cat" would be a "how to" manual, giving you tips and techniques.

            A report would be a summing up of, for example, a course I attended - telling people about the venue, the attendees, the tutor etc. To me a "report" is feedback on something that has happened. As in a newspaper "report".
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5728344].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Kay King
              The whole point by the OP seems to be "no one should be taken advantage of" - but you can't protect people from their own weaknesses.

              The example of "blackmail for more work" is a good one. If you don't stand up for yourself - you can't expect others to protect you. That's just silly.

              Chances are the person who advertises for 260 pages of "reports" for $250 will get what he deserves.....

              poorly written pages in 14 pt fonts....triple spaced and with 3 inch margins
              Signature

              Saving one dog may not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5728596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JimWaller
    I think some people don't know the difference between the two. Additionally, people who are completely new to the online world may not know the term "ebook". In the offline world, the word "report" would cover the equivalent of an ebook if it is short. Otherwise you'd probably just use "book".

    As many of us have been online a long time, it is easy for us to forget the mindset of a new person.
    Signature
    Are you in the Orlando area? Join our mastermind group

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727452].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TestiVar
    Both terms are locally defined within this sub-culture. When you say "ebook" outside this sub-culture, people think Amazon & Kindle or Barnes & Noble and Nook.

    It is your responsibility to speak the language of your clients; not the other way around.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727470].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NicoleBeckett
    Originally Posted by Peeps66 View Post

    I see lots of people say they want a report on the likes of Guru when it is obvious that they want an ebook.
    I've seen plenty of people call short ebooks "reports". Some people shy away from the term "ebook" because they think there's some kind of negative connotation to it. They think that ebooks have gotten a bad rap because so many people churn out crappy ebooks. So, as a result, they offer "free reports" in exchange for sign-ups.

    Originally Posted by Peeps66 View Post

    This is no doubt through courses that tell you that if you ask for a report instead of an ebook then you will get it a lot cheaper.
    Sure, a 10-page report is going to cost less than a 50-page ebook - but that's only because most writers charge by the page on these types of projects. Whether you call it an "ebook" or a "report" makes no difference on price.


    Originally Posted by Peeps66 View Post

    I would guess that if the writer isn't savvy enough to know you want an ebook then they're not going to produce high quality work.
    If that's the case, then the writer really isn't worth his salt! :p Report, ebook, article, whatever - the goal is to provide a high-quality product, whether it's 500 words long or 50,000 words long. I don't see why ebooks would get "special treatment" just because they're longer :confused:
    Signature
    Sick of blending in with the crowd? Ready to stand ahead of the pack? The right content writing services can get you there...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727494].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
    Personally, I don't think it matters too much what your prospect calls the requirement. Surely the word length is what is important.

    50 page report
    50 page ebook

    What's the difference?

    Will
    Signature
    Whether you are a Reader, an Author or a Website Owner, we have something for you!

    Books that Inspire
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727619].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Caleb Spilchen
    http://www.warriorforum.com/war-room...ll-ebooks.html (war room thread).

    E-books and reports are nothing different.. other then a report being a better sounding thing then an "e-book".

    Caleb
    Signature

    Caleb Spilchen

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727670].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peeps66
      I haven't tried it myself but from what you believe from some of the courses (at least 2 up to now) they suggest always using the word report when infact you want an ebook as people will bid lower. Can't really see it myself.

      One of these courses is constantly being recommended by people.

      Perhaps these courses are being filled with misconceptions to make them sound like you are getting more value.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727709].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author NicoleBeckett
        Originally Posted by Peeps66 View Post

        I haven't tried it myself but from what you believe from some of the courses (at least 2 up to now) they suggest always using the word report when infact you want an ebook as people will bid lower. Can't really see it myself.

        One of these courses is constantly being recommended by people.

        Perhaps these courses are being filled with misconceptions to make them sound like you are getting more value.
        LOL... If that's the newest thing the gurus are teaching to help people get cheap content, their students are going to be mighty disappointed. Can you imagine what a 50-page ebook that only cost $250 is going to read like?!? :rolleyes: Call it a "report", call it an "ebook" - either way, it's going to end up being complete garbage :p
        Signature
        Sick of blending in with the crowd? Ready to stand ahead of the pack? The right content writing services can get you there...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727747].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Peeps66
          Originally Posted by NicoleBeckett View Post

          LOL... If that's the newest thing the gurus are teaching to help people get cheap content, their students are going to be mighty disappointed. Can you imagine what a 50-page ebook that only cost $250 is going to read like?!? :rolleyes: Call it a "report", call it an "ebook" - either way, it's going to end up being complete garbage :p
          I agree but some people will feel desperate enough to do for this kind of money. They will probably be the same people who would work for half the minimum wage if they had to. i.e. they have no bargaining power to object. It doesn't mean to say it is right.

          In a fair world there would be no such thing as minimum wage because people would be given decent recompense. Unfortunately minimum wage is needed in a bid to stop people being taken advantage of.

          Anyway, thank Heaven I am not one of them.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727821].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JOSourcing
    Banned
    I second wizzard74's advice. Over the years, I've come to interpret reports as text/data-heavy, picture-less, white-paper type of documents with bibliography, etc. Ebooks... the exact opposite. It would be best to clarify what the buyer wants.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5727952].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Scott Burton
      Originally Posted by Caleb Spilchen View Post

      http://www.warriorforum.com/war-room...ll-ebooks.html (war room thread).

      E-books and reports are nothing different.. other then a report being a better sounding thing then an "e-book".

      Caleb
      I remember that thread and the document contained in it. And I would like to point out that that was regarding perceived value from a marketing perspective, which is to say, with the (then new) ebook readers (kindle, nook, etc) and a lot of ebooks being 99 cents or $1.99, the perceived value in the mind of customers of ebooks was diminished. However, the word "report" hadn't been devalued by the sudden surge in ebook popularity and low prices.

      Which isn't quite the same as the OP, but it's related.

      But I have different expectations when I'm looking for a report than when I'm looking for an ebook.

      Originally Posted by NicoleBeckett View Post

      LOL... If that's the newest thing the gurus are teaching to help people get cheap content, their students are going to be mighty disappointed. Can you imagine what a 50-page ebook that only cost $250 is going to read like?!? :rolleyes: Call it a "report", call it an "ebook" - either way, it's going to end up being complete garbage :p
      I think it's similar to the strategy of "go get 3 article writers to do several articles, then paste them all together to make your ebook/report" strategy. The problem is even if you use ONE writer, and they are GOOD and they KNOW the subject. The pasted together ebook won't read well and may be repetitive since the writer didn't know what was going to be done.

      The subjects I write about, I know well. I can write articles, reports and ebooks on my subjects "until the cows come home" but if I write 20 articles on a subject, there WILL be things covered in multiple articles (whether phrased differently or similarly), and there WILL be changes in the tone between articles. So the resulting 'report' or 'ebook' is going to need heavy editing to be a decent read.

      Originally Posted by JOSourcing View Post

      I second wizzard74's advice. Over the years, I've come to interpret reports as text/data-heavy, picture-less, white-paper type of documents with bibliography, etc. Ebooks... the exact opposite. It would be best to clarify what the buyer wants.
      While this is probably a common expectation, it's always best to verify what the buyer wants. But I have seen people recommend asking for a report instead of ebook, but from my perspective as a writer, I'm not pricing it differently because of what they call it. I'm pricing it differently because of what they want me to put into it.
      Signature

      - = Signature on Vacation = -
      (We all need a break from what we do for a living. I thought it was time my signature got a break too)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5728169].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RhondaG
    If you are the ghostwriter, then you should be the one in charge. You decide what you will get paid, not someone else. If they can't afford it, they can find another writer. Get out of the employer/employee mode. Be nice to your clients, but stick to your rates, and above all understand what they want before quoting a price. I never put prices on my website because I talk to my clients first to see what they are really needing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5728120].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics

  • 87 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Warriors .... Warriors.... what would you like to LEARN?

    Good Morning awesome Warriors... I'm happy to announce that The Warrior Forum is planning to create our first COURSE. Yes... Powered by Warrior Wisdom... yeah!! Made at home. But before ... [read more]

  • 5 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    How to Find and Post Banners that Increase Conversions and CTR?

    Hello Everyone For me CTR (Click-through rate) is the default performance metric. And it’s not hard to understand why. AFTER a short time, CTR tells me how well people respond ... [read more]

  • 25 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    How I Sold 985 Copies of an Affiliate Offer in 5 Days (Step by Step)

    When I first started online in 2002, it took me a year to sell 985 copies of anything. These days, I can typically do it in the span of a ... [read more]

  • 19 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Is web design important for SEO?

    Andrew112 in SEO

    Does anyone know what is the connection between web design and SEO? Does this matter? Do I know web design to help my SEO site? I want to know what ... [read more]

  • 1 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    On google and bing. do you get charged multiple times for the same IP?

    Jamestt89 in PPC/SEM

    I've been monitoring my site, and I see a lot of people coming from google that have visited 5-20 times. I was just wondering if you get charged again for ... [read more]