Results vs. Logic

by Builder154 13 replies
I notice that in a ton of threads in here people answer questions with things that just seem logical. They read what people are asking and reason out what seems like a good answer.

But I wonder how many of these people are really having any actual success.

I'm very curious of all the hundreds or even maybe thousands of people giving responses - many of them sounding reasonable - how many really make even a substantial portion of their living from this stuff?

Wouldn't it be a wake up call to find out that 99% of the people in these threads answering questions and giving advice by just reasoning out what seems to make sense are not really making much of a living at this at all?
#main internet marketing discussion forum #logic #results
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Blimeyoreilly
    If people are looking for a qualified mentor then forum 'discussions' probably are not the right place anyway. Would i for example need to make a great living out of the 'New EU Law' to qualify for discussion on this subject. Mostly everyone in life learns something new everyday including you.

    People in here may actually be quoting info gleaned from other WF/guru/IMers that are successful on that subject or from research regardless whether they are able to perfect making hoards of money on that skill themselves. This is not just some forum that allows only the opinion of pros or successful entrepreneurs.

    If you are such a pro & despise people stealing your show then there's nothing stopping you from answering your chosen threads all day long.

    I haven't made one cent from video marketing for example but I can give you privelledged information right now that the pros advise. Why would that make my words any less relevant?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6277621].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Builder154
      Originally Posted by Blimeyoreilly View Post

      If you are such a pro & despise people stealing your show then there's nothing stopping you from answering your chosen threads all day long.
      I'm no pro. I'm barely making anything right now and trying to learn how to do better. But I'm confused when I read threads because everyone talks as if they know what they're talking about. But in reality only a handful probably do. And the others just reason out what seems to make sense. But the problem is that what seems to make sense is often not actually correct.

      I guess I just wish there was more transparency of where people are getting their info. Are they making $5000 a month so they know from experience? Are they quoting someone else who is successful? Or are they just reasoning things out and thinking that if something seems logical it's true in Internet marketing, which I disagree with. Or are they just posting some nonsense to get more clicks on their signature link.

      I have no problem with discussion from everyone of course. That's what the forum is for. It's just hard to know which information to take seriously when you don't really know where it's coming from.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6277646].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Blimeyoreilly
        Originally Posted by Builder154 View Post

        I'm no pro. I'm barely making anything right now and trying to learn how to do better. But I'm confused when I read threads because everyone talks as if they know what they're talking about. But in reality only a handful probably do. And the others just reason out what seems to make sense. But the problem is that what seems to make sense is often not actually correct.

        I guess I just wish there was more transparency of where people are getting their info. Are they making $5000 a month so they know from experience? Are they quoting someone else who is successful? Or are they just reasoning things out and thinking that if something seems logical it's true in Internet marketing, which I disagree with. Or are they just posting some nonsense to get more clicks on their signature link.

        I have no problem with discussion from everyone of course. That's what the forum is for. It's just hard to know which information to take seriously when you don't really know where it's coming from.
        When you say the reality is only a handful probably do it is hardly concrete scientific fact that what you hear is crap or from an ass is it?

        Okay, so I know what you are trying to say but you don't have to take everyone's word for anything. Like everything else in IM do some research into what has been said or even research the person saying it or query that individual on the spot. If you try insulting 90 odd % of WF members to make your frustration heard you may end up unpopular.

        Anyway, if I asked an IM question in here I am pretty sure those answers would be coming from more experienced minds than my own. The other thing of course is that even two academic students who are working on learning the same subject can benefit from each other's different view point. I can assure you there is a majority of members in here that know what they are saying otherwise you would not get so many people coming back to thank them for their help.

        Hey! even people like Ron Douglas were in here today, why... not because it is a place that is full of shi..
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6277681].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Builder154
          Originally Posted by Blimeyoreilly View Post

          When you say the reality is only a handful probably do it is hardly concrete scientific fact that what you hear is crap or from an ass is it?
          Blimey,

          I think you're just looking for a reason to get offended and I'm surprised. I didn't intend to offend anyone. I didn't say the reality is anything. I said I WONDER about what the reality is. I have no idea how many people here are doing what.

          And besides, my goal wasn't to even focus on the people rather than the issue of logic vs. results. My main point was that if you are just trying to reason things out, you may not actually come to the right conclusion. That's why the pros always do testing. Because you may find things don't work at all how you'd think.

          Yet people do come in threads, read a question and just say "Well here is this logical chain of thought that leads to this conclusion." But without testing it doesn't really hold up no matter how logical it sounds.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6277689].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Blimeyoreilly
            Originally Posted by Builder154 View Post

            Blimey,

            I think you're just looking for a reason to get offended and I'm surprised. I didn't intend to offend anyone. I didn't say the reality is anything. I said I WONDER about what the reality is. I have no idea how many people here are doing what.

            And besides, my goal wasn't to even focus on the people rather than the issue of logic vs. results. My main point was that if you are just trying to reason things out, you may not actually come to the right conclusion. That's why the pros always do testing. Because you may find things don't work at all how you'd think.

            Yet people do come in threads, read a question and just say "Well here is this logical chain of thought that leads to this conclusion." But without testing it doesn't really hold up no matter how logical it sounds.
            Okay, point taken I am not offended. You did however say/type, "the reality is... blah!" etc.
            Purely speaking my mind & I haven't as yet experienced the same observation in WF as yourself & I really do some reading till my eyes pop out of my head in here.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6277756].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Builder154
              Originally Posted by Blimeyoreilly View Post

              You did however say/type, "the reality is... blah!" etc.
              Where are you referring to that I did that?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6277766].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Blimeyoreilly
        Originally Posted by Builder154 View Post

        I'm no pro. I'm barely making anything right now and trying to learn how to do better. But I'm confused when I read threads because everyone talks as if they know what they're talking about. But in reality only a handful probably do. And the others just reason out what seems to make sense. But the problem is that what seems to make sense is often not actually correct.

        I guess I just wish there was more transparency of where people are getting their info. Are they making $5000 a month so they know from experience? Are they quoting someone else who is successful? Or are they just reasoning things out and thinking that if something seems logical it's true in Internet marketing, which I disagree with. Or are they just posting some nonsense to get more clicks on their signature link.

        I have no problem with discussion from everyone of course. That's what the forum is for. It's just hard to know which information to take seriously when you don't really know where it's coming from.
        Don't beat yourself up about it though, it is only words (& I am quoting you how you meant it [within reason].
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6277775].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Builder154
          Originally Posted by Blimeyoreilly View Post

          Don't beat yourself up about it though, it is only words (& I am quoting you how you meant it [within reason].
          First of all I said that in response to you, that wasn't in my original post. Secondly, the word PROBABLY is very important there. That implies I'm just guessing.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6277794].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Blimeyoreilly
            Originally Posted by Builder154 View Post

            First of all I said that in response to you, that wasn't in my original post. Secondly, the word PROBABLY is very important there. That implies I'm just guessing.
            You can interpret any words as you like, my original response is to your first & rightly. From my response you read 100% me being offended (your interpretation). You asked me where I quoted you from (not in your second reply but further down the thread). What BS are you trying to twist into this now.

            Your original post can be read a multiple ways & I answered it defending what I do in WF questioning you whether what I do makes my contributions here worthless because I do not earn tons of money about all that I write. I don't give a rats ass how you take that response because it is neither offensive nor debatable, it is my response.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6277817].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fenixpro
    Yes and the irony of what you write is that I think a lot of the people who are making money oftentimes struggle with the ability to logically convey how or what they are doing. Generalization, yes. Truth in it, yes. Does it matter, no.

    Even those with success who are able to articulate relative answers aren't able to guarantee anything. Someone with or without success may be able to explain the hell out of something, but that doesn't mean that someone listening can then repeat it or create it themselves, no matter how well it's been explained.

    I love logic, explanations, and articulate reasoning, but things seem to always come back to action again and again.
    Signature

    You Are Not Your Thoughts
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6277654].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jakecoop79
    Well it's true, on the internet you never really know for sure what the truth is. So your point is well taken. You could actually be an internet marketing millionaire, but to keep a low profile you said you barely make anything. No one knows.

    What I take from that, is that while it's sometimes helpful and insightful to to hear what people in a forum are saying, in the end I have to figure it out myself. The only answers I ever know are real are the ones I find thru my own work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6277781].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Builder154
    OK this thread has become thoroughly pointless. Does anyone else want to actually discuss the topic I raised?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6277819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Giftys
    Count me in as one of the full timers that makes a good living. However, I'm not your typical IM'er in here. I don't do the splash pages and e-books, etc. and I'm turned off by a lot of the "get rich quick" schemes that attract a lot of people. I built my business the old-fashioned way. Gathered a few products and then marketed the hell out of them. That enabled me to buy a lot more and I built a few retail stores. Then I got into advertising portals. I use a lot of the marketing techniques that you'll find in this forum but I only use the ones that fit into what I'm doing and that I like, but especially those that I feel are above board and ethical. The "Golden Rule" should always be your guide.

    I can only speak for myself but you can trust in my advice and I've got a proven track record. I've been doing this for 12 years and I don't BS around. I like marketing. I could talk it all day and in fact teach it on the side some. I've got a small consulting business. I don't market the business because I don't have a lot of time but I occasionally get referrals from past clients. I love coming in this forum and talking shop.

    There are a handful of people in here that know what they're doing. If you read the posts carefully and trust your instincts, you'll figure out who they are.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6277844].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics