I was Earning $1,200/week, now Gumtree (Aust.) Changed!?

Profile picture of the author albertpikes by albertpikes Posted: 06/18/2012
Hi Everyone ... Hope you're all well ...

Just joined today, Virgin Warrior, but long time marketer (online & offline

Just wondering if anyone out here is familiar with advertising down-under (AU) on the Gumtree classifieds site, which is now owned by ebay. I am semi-retired in Thailand and of course need to use Proxies to be able to place ads ...

I've been using various VPS Hosting companies and always set up 20-30 different IP's/Proxies (squid script on Ubuntu) with each VPS Account - to set up my Gumtree accounts and promote main-stream affiliate products (CB) on gumtree for over a year now, everything worked great for over one year. Averaging $800-1,200 a week ... $$ Goes a long way in Thailand

As I mentioned, I promote Affiliate Products and - Exclusively only advertise on "Gumtree". Everything was going FINE until last Thursday, when I discovered that I could not LOG INTO Any of my current GUMTREE Accounts.

That being said, my ads under any of my accounts are still live, not been deleted, I just usually log in and upgrade "bump up" the ads for $1.99, etc. So they get back on the front page!

This time when i tried to log in Gumtree - into my accounts, it would show me this message:

************************************************** ******************
Sorry, this email and password combination is not known. Please try again later.
Don't forget that you can still post Ads without being signed in.
************************************************** ******************

The Ironic thing is that If I request a password change, gumtree allows me to do that
and than when i try to log in with the new password, the same message pops up.
So - the accounts are active, but gumtree won't let me log in to any of them.

And Yes I set up a different IP/Proxy with a brand New/Fresh "Hotmail or Yahoo" Email.

In the past if my ads got flagged, they would than ban the IP after a few weeks of this
happening) I actually used to get 2-3 different email accounts on each IP Address before
they blocked the IP/Proxy.

The 30 new IP/Proxies I just set up 2 weeks ago were working fine.

I set up Gumtree Accounts on the first 10 of these IP's and posted a few ads, worked fine since beginning of June, until last thursday (14th June) like I mentioned.

THIS IS WHEN IT GETS TRICKY ... AND I CANT WORK OUT WHY ?!@#$%!

Now the remaining 20 IPs in that range were unused, I even tried to set up a new accounts on them (previously unused IP's) and the registration process goes fine, get the confirmation email from Gumtree, to confirm the new account, etc. ...

Than when I try to log in with this Brand new/Never used Account on a fresh IP it won't let me log in and the same message as above appears on the gumtree log in page! !@#??

SO NOW BASICALLY EVEN THE BRAND NEW IP'S ARE BEING BLOCKED?!

** So I am curious to know whether you are aware of any security / firewall upgrades on the Gumtree site in Oz? That would detect proxies?

** Because the Gumtree accounts are active, as my mate in Aussie can log into one of my accounts, but I can't with using the corresponding proxy!?

** Do you think there is a possibility that they have a new system in place that would "Bulk Block" all the IPs in a particular range? Or exclusively block all IP's originating from my Host: web24?

** Would you suggest trying a Completely new VPS - Web host that will provide a whole new range of IP's? Or is there a known solution to this problem?

** Has this happened to you or did you hear of anyone else having recent log in problems with gumtree?

ANY AND ALL ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED SORRY IF THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT SECTION TO POST THIS THREAD ... NOT SURE WHERE TO START

Look forward to your reply
#200 or week #aust #australia #changed #earning #gumtree #ip's #proxies

  • Profile picture of the author Wide
    Wide
    Your using 20-25 proxies to get around their security system and you wonder why you lost your accounts after some weeks of promoting affiliate offers? :rolleyes:

    Maybe ask on a proxy forum or something?

    A note: Maybe the proxies you have been using has already been banned by someone else doing the same trick as you? Why not try something else that does not require a billion proxies? Maybe it's just me being naive, but isn't proxies used to gain access to something you have been blocked from using? Why not try something else instead of this mess? You might be able to find a work-around, but bet they will block you again, just a matter of time.

    I will be surprised if your able to find help on this forum to solve your proxy/mail/vps mess.
  • Profile picture of the author MarvyDery
    MarvyDery
    I think they've spotted the tricks you were using. but why don't you try to create a new account from a different computer and ip?
  • Profile picture of the author Jaryl
    Jaryl
    It's possible that they're cracking down on you.

    Times change, and especially when we're working with the internet - things change so rapidly you HAVE to adapt to these changes.

    From what you've said, you're an offline marketer as well, so I hope you've diversified your income.
  • Profile picture of the author liindsay
    liindsay
    The most likely scenario is that gumtree have blocked all ips from your VPS.
  • Profile picture of the author mosthost
    mosthost
    Originally Posted by liindsay View Post
    The most likely scenario is that gumtree have blocked all ips from your VPS.
    Pretty much. Gumtree did some gumshoe work and detected your spam
  • Profile picture of the author albertpikes
    albertpikes
    It's marketing, pure and simple, placing ads for products that solve problems for people is not spamming ... pure marketing ... simple!
  • Profile picture of the author albertpikes
    albertpikes
    Originally Posted by Jaryl View Post
    It's possible that they're cracking down on you.

    Times change, and especially when we're working with the internet - things change so rapidly you HAVE to adapt to these changes.

    From what you've said, you're an offline marketer as well, so I hope you've diversified your income.
    Thanx mate, yes I have 3 other sites that run on auto pilot, no ad posting required
  • Profile picture of the author albertpikes
    albertpikes
    Originally Posted by liindsay View Post
    The most likely scenario is that gumtree have blocked all ips from your VPS.
    Yes they must have blocked the range of IP's ... Ebay just makes it more and more difficult for the average IM marketer to make the dough
  • Profile picture of the author albertpikes
    albertpikes
    Originally Posted by liindsay View Post
    The most likely scenario is that gumtree have blocked all ips from your VPS.
    Maybe just use some people on Fiveer and outsource, simple ... and pay 'em $5 for placing a couple of ads ...
  • Profile picture of the author InternetSuccess001
    InternetSuccess001
    Hi,

    It's actually a lot easier than people think to detect whether you are coming in from a proxy, and it sounds like they just updated their code to precisely that. There are also 3-4 different ways of detecting what you are/were doing, all with different degrees of accuracy (depends how they did it, and if they know how to do it the 'right' way).

    It sounds like they are not interested in having you promote affiliate products any more. I can think of a couple easy solutions for you right now, so know there are ways (if you wanted) to continue doing what you are doing... It is funny though, what is one persons "spam" is another persons "marketing"...

    Johnathan
  • Profile picture of the author albertpikes
    albertpikes
    Originally Posted by InternetSuccess001 View Post
    Hi,

    It's actually a lot easier than people think to detect whether you are coming in from a proxy, and it sounds like they just updated their code to precisely that. There are also 3-4 different ways of detecting what you are/were doing, all with different degrees of accuracy (depends how they did it, and if they know how to do it the 'right' way).

    It sounds like they are not interested in having you promote affiliate products any more. I can think of a couple easy solutions for you right now, so know there are ways (if you wanted) to continue doing what you are doing... It is funny though, what is one persons "spam" is another persons "marketing"...

    Johnathan
    As you know, there are proxies, and Proxies - mine are elite proxies, undetectable, the issue is the the hosting provider must have been flagged and the entire range of IP's in stock go with it ...
  • Profile picture of the author EllesBelles
    EllesBelles
    Have you posted on LinkedIn today?

    There was a popular post this morning regarding a similar thing - it turned out that Gumtree AU had blocked the users MAC address, I believe, due to consistant spamming. I don't know how they found that out, but the thread contained an official-looking letter that confirmed that they were unwilling to remove the MAC address block, and asking the user not to make a new account.

    You could try a different computer, email and IP, but I'd also look at how you could sustain your income without having to rely on spamming Gumtree. You may not consider it spam, but they clearly do, and therefore they will find a way to stop you from doing it.
  • Profile picture of the author mosthost
    mosthost
    Originally Posted by albertpikes View Post
    It's marketing, pure and simple, placing ads for products that solve problems for people is not spamming ... pure marketing ... simple!
    I hear ya It looks like Gumtree has a different definition though.
  • Profile picture of the author albertpikes
    albertpikes
    Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
    Have you posted on LinkedIn today?

    There was a popular post this morning regarding a similar thing - it turned out that Gumtree AU had blocked the users MAC address, I believe, due to consistant spamming. I don't know how they found that out, but the thread contained an official-looking letter that confirmed that they were unwilling to remove the MAC address block, and asking the user not to make a new account.

    You could try a different computer, email and IP, but I'd also look at how you could sustain your income without having to rely on spamming Gumtree. You may not consider it spam, but they clearly do, and therefore they will find a way to stop you from doing it.
    Interesitng, finally an intelligent contribution to a question at hand. You really are something ... I don't use mac accounts. I use 100's of diff. emails and forward them to a main account ... as everyone with an IQ of above 55 knows ... stay well & Happy
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    laurencewins
    I AM in Australia and I hate the way that Gumtree has changed its layout. I don't know if that may have caused any of your problems. I have had the odd minor issue when they first changed but now I am fine but I don't use proxies of course.
  • Profile picture of the author albertpikes
    albertpikes
    Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post
    I AM in Australia and I hate the way that Gumtree has changed its layout. I don't know if that may have caused any of your problems. I have had the odd minor issue when they first changed but now I am fine but I don't use proxies of course.
    Thanx mate, I need to use proxies coz i live overseas now, not that there is anything wrong with that ... Good luck in your ventures and thanx for your feedback.
  • Profile picture of the author curly sue
    curly sue
    Change your game. Hire someone or a couple of people in Australia to do ad posting for you. You can pay like $2 per post or something. Out of curiosity what products where you advertising?
  • Profile picture of the author albertpikes
    albertpikes
    Weight loss of course ... Australia is the third country with the biggest arises on the planet. US & Mexico take the top 2 spots ... Pizza Anyone?
  • Profile picture of the author jamesrich1
    jamesrich1
    Seriously, your asking this question when you were doing black hat techniques?
  • Profile picture of the author Tim_Carter
    Tim_Carter
    Originally Posted by albertpikes View Post
    Interesitng, finally an intelligent contribution to a question at hand. You really are something ... I don't use mac accounts. I use 100's of diff. emails and forward them to a main account ... as everyone with an IQ of above 55 knows ... stay well & Happy
    The Mac Address is your computers identifier. Can't be changed. If they have it you are done on that computer.

Related discussions