Twitter Auto Reply when people follow ?

by 80 comments
How do you send an auto-Reply thank you when people start following you on Twitter?
I don't see any settings in Twitter for that, yet I suspect its automated just from the way they come in when I start following someone.

I thought it was an email reply from an email client but they all look too similar to be that.
#internet marketing #auto #follow #people #reply #twitter
  • Profile picture of the author Barbara Eyre
    I was wondering about this also.

    It does not happen with each instance ... only with a few ... and oddly enough (or is it?) that it only occurs with Internet Marketers! hmmmmmmmm hehe
  • Profile picture of the author dsmpublishing
    Hi Nathan

    Your spot on with that one!

    I get 500 automated direct messages a day, you may not be shocked to hear that i will only keep or click through to ten of those. Thats 490 a day of useless rubbish sent to my direct message folder.

    It makes me wonder why they cant spend five minutes thinking about it before they send it out!


    sam
    X
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Hancox
      Originally Posted by dsmpublishing View Post

      I get 500 automated direct messages a day, you may not be shocked to hear that i will only keep or click through to ten of those. Thats 490 a day of useless rubbish sent to my direct message folder.

      It makes me wonder why they cant spend five minutes thinking about it before they send it out!
      Presumably because you're AUTO following 500 people a day? Ah, the irony

      Edit: I've just finished reading your Twitter ebook... didn't realize you do it manually. Cool! Great book, by the way.
  • Profile picture of the author Dana_W
    I HATE auto-replies, honestly. They clutter up my inbox and make me miss the real DMs from people who actually want to ask me something.
    • Profile picture of the author TheMGMProject
      I partly agree that an auto reply takes a little of the 'personal effect' out of twitter but on the other hand I have to say that an auto reply keeps you in peoples mind set and impresses those not familiar with such things as auto responders.

      I also read today that anyone with an aweber account can also set that to auto update to twitter, looking into that one a little more.

      BTW if anyone wants to twitter me I'll twitter them back (personally i have to add)

      Mick

      Mick Menesse (Mickswebsites) on Twitter
  • Profile picture of the author pdrw07
    thanks guys, this is very good info, been searching for it. I'm new to twitter hehe
  • Profile picture of the author Rob Baker
    Heya EdwardMoore. Thank you for the tip regarding Tweetlater I set everything up last night. However, it is not sending out the auto-DMs that I have tested. I've got it set up to auto-DM followers, even did the "Check for followers right now," but no dice. Just wondering if you had any tips or words of wisdom. Thanks in advance.
  • Profile picture of the author diamondseeker
    I use tweet Later it works great. I do not have much time to mess with Twitter but I usually try to follow 3-5 new people every day, I also retweet 2-3 tweets per day and make 2-3 of my own tweets.

    For this effort I get between 3-10 new followers per day. Each gets an auto dm from me thanking them for the follow and asking them what cool things they are doing.

    some reply some do not.

    my twitter following is not huge, but I am trying to build relationships not 1000's of followers that really do not care what I am doing.
  • Profile picture of the author zulu24
    Being new to this myself I am impressed with the ways you can use these tools. I agree with Mick many people do not know about auto responders and still might be impressed and you stay in their mind. I don't want to miss an opportunity.
  • Profile picture of the author Bev Clement
    I use tweetlater which sends out an autoDM to anyone who follows me. I don't automatically follow anyone, but I do automatically unfollow anyone who unfollows me.

    I get very few DM's daily so it isn't a problem.

    But I see a lot of people who complain about the autoDM who then use autoposting to repeat the same tweet numerous times a day
    • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
      I shut off my autoreply and particularly my autofollow.

      Twitter is about relevance. Having 60,000 followers that just follow you because, and not because what you're posting is relevant (or more importanly results in business for you), is just stupid.

      It gets compounded when you autofollow any schmuck that comes along randomly following people in hopes of a follow back. The noise drowns out the signal pretty quickly.
  • Profile picture of the author theviewers
    thanks for the tips will not use the auto follow back also am using plurk for across platform tweet
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Roy
    Auto-DMs suck. If you send me a sales pitch with a link I'm not clicking on it just out of principle. Let's talk a bit and get to know each other before you start spamming me with your sales links. And sending me an AUTOMATED message that says "thanks for following me let's get to know each other" just seems ironic.
    • Profile picture of the author catastrophicinjury
      why people spamming this page ... without any proper answer?

      look this post by "Michael Mayhew"


      Re: Twitter Auto Reply when people follow ?
      Use
      Schedule Future-Dated Twitter Tweets TweetLater.com



      The site is redirecting to a spam site Tools to Boost Your Social Media Productivity SocialOomph.com

      It is bad ....
  • Profile picture of the author Mili_D
    How do you send an auto-Reply thank you when people start following you on Twitter?

    I would use socialoomph you can write one massage that will go direct to all your followers. When writing the massage keep it simple e.g. Hi thank for the follow I will be following u back, if you want to get to know me check out my website.
  • Profile picture of the author SilverStockReport
    I don't get why you would want to activate that feature. It's annoying especially if it has links on it. But I guess a generic thank you wouldn't hurt. But you'll never know with Twitter's rules. They might see the auto DM as an abuse even if it's generic. I don't think the risk is worth it considering almost no one reads their DM's.
  • Profile picture of the author grayambition
    When I get an auto-response, I just shake my head, write the sender off as a Twitter newbie, and delete it (that's when I even bother to go into my DM folder, which is a rare occurrence because it's filled with spam).

    Lots of Twitter guides tell you how to send an auto-response, that you shouldn't make it commercial, just a friendly hi, etc., etc. The problem is that too many people now do this, making the whole DM feature functionally useless.

    If you really want to get to know your followers, send them a personalized @ reply that will show up in their stream. Take the time to respond to one of their posts. They'll actually see that, as opposed to a DM that will most likely not be read.
    • Profile picture of the author cheech1981
      Originally Posted by grayambition View Post

      If you really want to get to know your followers, send them a personalized @ reply that will show up in their stream. Take the time to respond to one of their posts. They'll actually see that, as opposed to a DM that will most likely not be read.
      Totally agree. I did have an autoresponse on at first with a casual msg because it seemed like a good idea to thank people for following. But then I realized that's silly and way too many people are doing it. You have to sift through a ton of direct messages to just see which ones are real.

      Better to just respond to one of their tweets in a meaningful way and you'll start to build a relationship with your followers. Otherwise there isn't much point because your followers won't feel any connection to you.
  • Profile picture of the author Xsecror
    Great tool, thanks for the link!
  • Profile picture of the author sdentrepreneur
    I also use SocialOomph, I do use the DM, I don't try to sell them anything. I just invite them to my blog to learn more about and and Internet Marketing
    • Profile picture of the author joshril
      Originally Posted by sdentrepreneur View Post

      I also use SocialOomph, I do use the DM, I don't try to sell them anything. I just invite them to my blog to learn more about and and Internet Marketing
      I can vouch for SocialOomph... Their free version is pretty solid and should do what you need it to do.

      http://www.socialoomph.com/
  • Profile picture of the author Ash R
    @ Grayambition

    Thanks for the tip, I think it's a really good one. I've used twitter personally, and those automated messages look impersonal. I think just a simple auto-follow-back is ok. It's given me an idea about how to use the @ function - suffice to say that I think actually reading someone's tweet and responding to that is much better than auto -dm's. Yes, it's time consuming. But I've found that a bit of effort tends to reap much better rewards.
  • Profile picture of the author areaK
    DON'T SEND AUTO-REPLIES...ICK! I don't care how much you personalize it, I'd rather NOT have my box filled up with pre-made responses, I rather you say nothing at all, you'll make me much happier that way. I've never clicked through to even someone's blog because I know you just "auto'd" me so you're not being personal, why should I be personal and check out anything of yours?
    • Profile picture of the author Marty S
      Originally Posted by areaK View Post

      DON'T SEND AUTO-REPLIES...ICK! I don't care how much you personalize it, I'd rather NOT have my box filled up with pre-made responses, I rather you say nothing at all, you'll make me much happier that way. I've never clicked through to even someone's blog because I know you just "auto'd" me so you're not being personal, why should I be personal and check out anything of yours?
      Quite right.

      New Twitter users have no idea that doing auto-DMs is tantamount to SPAM. I mean when was the last time someone sent you a reply to your auto-DM saying, "Oh that was so nice of you, thanks for that auto-reply."? It doesn't happen.

      The best you can hope for is that they NEVER look at their DMs to discover that YOU are one of those irritating Twitter people who are filling up their DM box with useless junk they never asked for, while crippling what could have been a useful message system within Twitter.
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
      Originally Posted by areaK View Post

      DON'T SEND AUTO-REPLIES...ICK! I don't care how much you personalize it, I'd rather NOT have my box filled up with pre-made responses, I rather you say nothing at all, you'll make me much happier that way. I've never clicked through to even someone's blog because I know you just "auto'd" me so you're not being personal, why should I be personal and check out anything of yours?
      Couldn't agree more.

      It's a perfect oxymoron. If you want to establish a connection with someone then it's their job to send them a personal message which is hand typed and relative to them.

      The more a process is automated the less personalized it becomes.

      In social networks people want to connect with people - not computers.
  • Profile picture of the author Annie Horkan
    Well, I am new to tweeting but I like having the option to do auto-reply if needed. I am using Tweet Spinner because they have a great tool for generating keywords to find new followers with like interests....which is great when you are new....and they have the auto set up for blog posts which I love and need for a very active blog I am doing on my website. I think it all depends on who you are and how busy you are. I did an auto-reply thank you for new followers, I try to make it personable, but I don't plan to always use it and nor would I want to want to always/only get auto-replies back from everyone else. But auto reply is a great option when you are tight for time and have alot you want to share. It's all about balance , like everything in life.
  • Profile picture of the author Venturetothetop
    I think some people are missing the point here. Within the IM niche, yes autofollowing is common place and can get annoying, but if you have a genuine unique niche and people are following you because they like your company, then autofollowing is both not very common with your users experience and is often very welcome.

    In one of my niche I actually get a thank you reply, to the automated thank you I send when they follow me ! Goes to show, we can not generalise this theme...
    • Profile picture of the author ko619
      Originally Posted by Venturetothetop View Post

      I think some people are missing the point here. Within the IM niche, yes autofollowing is common place and can get annoying, but if you have a genuine unique niche and people are following you because they like your company, then autofollowing is both not very common with your users experience and is often very welcome.
      Agreed. I think it's easy to forget that there are still plenty of people out there who don't think like IMers... It depends on your audience as to whether auto DMs will be appreciated or hated.
  • Profile picture of the author Randy Daugherty
    I'd like to know how too. If you get the answer please let me know how to do it to...thanks

Next Topics on Trending Feed