Case Study- Double Opt-in vs Single Opt-in

by 44 replies
Past couple of years, I tried double opt-in and single opt-in

And decided to stick with double opt-in- because:

Double opt-in system will protect you from spam complaints, at least to some extent. With the current increase of anti-spam legislation, double confirmation may soon become the only safeguard against being blacklisted by anti-spam organizations.

Quality of list will be higher, because at least they took some of their time to go through your confirmation process.

The major complaint people have about double opt-in is that they don’t get as many as subscribers as they would get in single opt-in.

In my experience 20% or more email addresses get from single opt-in could be worthless anyway. Why?

1. There is a chance that people may mistype their email address. Even if they enter the correct email, they don’t really use that email often because their only intention is to download your freebie on your thank you page.

2. People may subscribe friends or family, who may not want to receive your messages and who could, in the worst case scenario, accuse you of spam.

In other words with confirmed subscriptions you are basically dealing with people who have given you valid email addresses they actually use. If someone won't even give you a real email address do you think that person would bother to buy from you?

I tried several methods to encourage people to confirm their subscription, the one really worked is, offer some sort of incentive for them to do so. But you don't want to make that incentive available on your thank you page.

Your incentive MUST be sent only to the people who take the time to confirm their subscription. Make that known.

Do you still prefer single opt-in?
#main internet marketing discussion forum #case #double #optin #single #study
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin McNally
    I used to think the same but I am now moving to single opt in. Even if you have double opt in you will still get spam complaints. I wouldn't worry about people signing friends / family up as it's such a tiny chance.

    It depends on which niche you are and your double opt in confirmation rate. In one niche I have a small list and nearly 50% of people are still pending so that's just a waste. I know the double opt ins are better quality but it's painful to see !
  • Profile picture of the author FantaMan
    Our tests have deducted that single opt in is the best.

    We always loose too many on double opt ins. Plus the quality difference never makes up for it!
    • Profile picture of the author onlinebizgiant
      Originally Posted by FantaMan View Post

      Our tests have deducted that single opt in is the best.

      We always loose too many on double opt ins. Plus the quality difference never makes up for it!
      Thank you for sharing your views. Let's see what other marketers want to say.
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Wells
    Originally Posted by onlinebizgiant View Post

    Past couple of years, I tried double opt-in and single opt-in

    And decided to stick with double opt-in- because:

    Double opt-in system will protect you from spam complaints, at least to some extent. With the current increase of anti-spam legislation, double confirmation may soon become the only safeguard against being blacklisted by anti-spam organizations.

    Quality of list will be higher, because at least they took some of their time to go through your confirmation process.

    The major complaint people have about double opt-in is that they don’t get as many as subscribers as they would get in single opt-in.

    In my experience 20% or more email addresses get from single opt-in could be worthless anyway. Why?

    1. There is a chance that people may mistype their email address. Even if they enter the correct email, they don’t really use that email often because their only intention is to download your freebie on your thank you page.

    2. People may subscribe friends or family, who may not want to receive your messages and who could, in the worst case scenario, accuse you of spam.

    In other words with confirmed subscriptions you are basically dealing with people who have given you valid email addresses they actually use. If someone won't even give you a real email address do you think that person would bother to buy from you?

    I tried several methods to encourage people to confirm their subscription, the one really worked is, offer some sort of incentive for them to do so. But you don't want to make that incentive available on your thank you page.

    Your incentive MUST be sent only to the people who take the time to confirm their subscription. Make that known.

    Do you still prefer single opt-in?
    If your using paypal and wso pro, there is no much chance of a wrong email, it may be an email that is not answered much maybe, but it has to be of some use, because its the paypal email address.
  • Profile picture of the author jingrong
    I use single opt-in. For me I will not signed in because it is too troublesome for me. There are always a unsubscribe link in every email for them to unsubscribe.
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    I've always used double opt-in, but would like to hear more on this
  • Profile picture of the author consulting51
    Quality list is very important. I prefer Double Opt-in if I can even if I grow my list a little slower. If you can have real buyer lists is even better. I make it mannually when someone purchase something from me.
    • Profile picture of the author Alohapreneur
      Originally Posted by consulting51 View Post

      Quality list is very important. I prefer Double Opt-in if I can even if I grow my list a little slower. If you can have real buyer lists is even better. I make it mannually when someone purchase something from me.
      I don't understand why you guys think the "quality"of double optin isn't in your single optin. All those high quality people are still in your single optin too! They are just surrounded by lower quality optins as well (and the low quality ones are still potential buyers unless they bounce).

      Why is the purity so important to you when the quality ones ARE still on the same list?

      What's the point of keeping it pure unless your paying on a per emial basis?
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    I never used double opt ins before. I always had good success with single opt ins.

    Even if your subscribers opted in twice, if you send them too much email they will report it as SPAM to the autoresponder company that you are working with.

    Some gurus say that you need double opt ins but there are some of them, who are raking between $10,000-$100,000 per month, who say that you don't. ( I am going to listen to them).

    With your single opt ins you can tell them to open their email to see the "free report" or anything else that you send them if they want to see what you are selling.

    You don't have to give them "The product" right after they opt in.

    Even if 20-30 people open you emails after 100 opt ins, that is good.

    Plus, you can reduce your SPAM complaints if you tell your subscribers that they can opt out in the first sentence of your emails.
  • Profile picture of the author Anonymous Affiliate
    Originally Posted by onlinebizgiant View Post

    Double opt-in system will protect you from spam complaints
    False.

    If someone thinks your emails are too heavy on the advertisement side and files a spam complain to your hosting company, your hosting company will not care whether that subscriber single or double opted into your mailing list. A spam complain is a spam complain in their eyes, and they will act immediately regardless of how that person got into your mailing list.

    I know first hand...
  • Profile picture of the author paul nicholls
    When using double opt in you lose all continuity so OTO`s are no where near as effective

    Also when using single opt in, you still have the ability to make OTO sales from people that put in false or old email addresses because they will still see your OTO and can still buy, this has happened to me a lot

    The fact is not everyone will confirm and also not everyone will put in their real or their best email address

    I have been using single opt in for a long time and I won`t be changing any time soon as it works great for me and is super profitable as long as things are set up correctly

    Paul
    • Profile picture of the author Anonymous Affiliate
      Originally Posted by paul nicholls View Post

      When using double opt in you lose all continuity so OTO`s are no where near as effective

      Also when using single opt in, you still have the ability to make OTO sales from people that put in false or old email addresses because they will still see your OTO and can still buy.
      This is true.

      When you use double opt-in, you break the natural flow of your sales funnel by forcing your users to navigate away from your site in order to log into their email account. That "gap" will hurt your OTO conversions.
    • Profile picture of the author garveyonweb
      Originally Posted by paul nicholls View Post

      When using double opt in you lose all continuity so OTO`s are no where near as effective

      Also when using single opt in, you still have the ability to make OTO sales from people that put in false or old email addresses because they will still see your OTO and can still buy, this has happened to me a lot

      The fact is not everyone will confirm and also not everyone will put in their real or their best email address

      I have been using single opt in for a long time and I won`t be changing any time soon as it works great for me and is super profitable as long as things are set up correctly

      Paul
      Simple as this. Paul has nailed it. In addition, the quality of double optins won't compensate for reduced quantity as youve captured those anyway.
  • Profile picture of the author brentb
    Originally Posted by onlinebizgiant View Post

    Past couple of years, I tried double opt-in and single opt-in

    And decided to stick with double opt-in- because:

    Double opt-in system will protect you from spam complaints, at least to some extent. With the current increase of anti-spam legislation, double confirmation may soon become the only safeguard against being blacklisted by anti-spam organizations.

    Quality of list will be higher, because at least they took some of their time to go through your confirmation process.

    The major complaint people have about double opt-in is that they don’t get as many as subscribers as they would get in single opt-in.

    In my experience 20% or more email addresses get from single opt-in could be worthless anyway. Why?

    1. There is a chance that people may mistype their email address. Even if they enter the correct email, they don’t really use that email often because their only intention is to download your freebie on your thank you page.

    2. People may subscribe friends or family, who may not want to receive your messages and who could, in the worst case scenario, accuse you of spam.

    In other words with confirmed subscriptions you are basically dealing with people who have given you valid email addresses they actually use. If someone won't even give you a real email address do you think that person would bother to buy from you?

    I tried several methods to encourage people to confirm their subscription, the one really worked is, offer some sort of incentive for them to do so. But you don't want to make that incentive available on your thank you page.

    Your incentive MUST be sent only to the people who take the time to confirm their subscription. Make that known.

    Do you still prefer single opt-in?
    This is NOT a case study. Case studies come from specific tests and have exact numbers. This is just your opinion based on general experiences. Thread is just another worthless SOI vs DOI thread.
  • Profile picture of the author gcbmark20
    Hello and I appreciate everyones point of view here.

    It is all about what works for the individual at the end of the day I suppose.

    You can test to see what works for you and run with that.

    Double Vs Single opt-in is a debate that will continue to run for as long as email marketing is around.

    Some say that Double is better after you have enough subscribers on your list so you can start to use Double opt-in to ensure your subscribers are serious about opting into your list.

    Single opt-in can be used to get sheer numbers in at the beginning of your email list building career and you can also use OTO's (one-time-offers) in there aswell as part of your strategy to make back your paid advertising investments.

    I always say just test and allow your results to do the talking for you!

    All the best everyone and great post by the way.



    Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are.
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    Maybe double optin is great for collecting subscribers with a bribe, and single while in the process of purchasing something?
  • Profile picture of the author brentb
    Would you rather have a list of 1000 "high quality" opt ins

    OR

    the same 1000 "high quality" opt ins + 500 "low quality" opt ins?

    This is basically the difference between SOI and DOI. You are not missing out on anyone or getting lower quality, you are getting the exact same people you would normally plus more. So even if you get bounces and unresponsive records, you are ahead of where you would be with DOI. Period. If you don't believe me, just think about it for a minute. It will come to you.
    • Profile picture of the author Anonymous Affiliate
      Originally Posted by brentb View Post

      Would you rather have a list of 1000 "high quality" opt ins

      OR

      the same 1000 "high quality" opt ins + 500 "low quality" opt ins?
      Thanks God someone "gets" it.

      Single opt-in will bring the same people as double opt-in (high quality verified leads) plus some more extra (non-verified leads). Given this scenario, I dont see the reason to go double opt-in at all.
    • Profile picture of the author Kal Sallam
      Originally Posted by brentb View Post


      You are not missing out on anyone or getting lower quality.
      You are missing on quality and here is why:


      When your traffic enters whatever email so they could just get your gift,
      They soon realise ops they must enter their real email to access your offer.
      They then hit the back button and put in their real email.

      How do I know this, because I myself have done it before.

      However I'm all in for single optins...
      In my experience single optin served me well though.
      You don't loose on any OTOs as mentioned above.
  • Profile picture of the author marketinguk
    I have done some testing myself and I have found that there's no real advantage in my niche to go for double optins as i'll lose leads for nothing so I only go single these days.
  • Profile picture of the author Meinkraft
    The quality of subscribers may be lower, but those who may not be convinced to purchase your OTO may end up buying something later, it's up to you to convince them of course. This is why I prefer SOI. You get the chance to sell to more people who may not necessarily want something you have to offer at that initial moment.
  • Profile picture of the author onlinebizgiant
    Hey, thank you guys for sharing your experience and views. So far most of you guys prefer single opt-in. Let's wait for more opinion
  • Profile picture of the author realestate1022
    I know most people on this forum will say double optins automatically. I don't think its not as simple as that. For me, its all about testing. Many of the CPA campaigns I run have a much better ROI with single optin while I have more success with most of lists by using double optins. Unless you do it on your own server, are there any autoresponder services that still allow single optins which don't go straight into the SPAM folder?

    The only auto I remember recently that allowed single optins was Constant Contact which stopped last year. They told me to have everyone on one of my lists switch over from single optin to double. That's when i went to having all my single optin lists go from a 3rd party autoresponder to having them on my own server. Test it yourself.
    • Profile picture of the author Alohapreneur
      Originally Posted by realestate1022 View Post

      I know most people on this forum will say double optins automatically. I don't think its not as simple as that. For me, its all about testing. Many of the CPA campaigns I run have a much better ROI with single optin while I have more success with most of lists by using double optins. Unless you do it on your own server, are there any autoresponder services that still allow single optins which don't go straight into the SPAM folder?

      The only auto I remember recently that allowed single optins was Constant Contact which stopped last year. They told me to have everyone on one of my lists switch over from single optin to double. That's when i went to having all my single optin lists go from a 3rd party autoresponder to having them on my own server. Test it yourself.
      THIS IS WHY DOUBLE OPTINS ARE SO "POPULAR" -- It's to protect the autoresponder company NOT YOU.

      Getting your own server side software to host your autoresponder is the best way to do it. It will save you money in the long run as you don't have to pay every month for the rest of your life. Plus it will really make you focus on being really really smart with your advertising so that people perceive you as a value provider (read "teacher" in most cases) and not a spammer.
  • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
    I am normally on the side of the test it crowd but there is really nothing to test here.

    Single opt in or double opt in is not apparent at point of sign up. This means you are going to get the same number of sign ups one way or the other.

    With single opt in you are not needing to worry about the conformation email getting caught in the spam filter.

    You never deliver the free product via thank you page. This is where the OTO goes. Deliver the freebie via email. If it does go to the spam folder .. they will dig it out for the freebie.

    As far as spam complaints go .. soi or doi provides the exact same records to your list host. The ip they signed up from and all that. If the records are there that proves there was a sign up from that email address and ip .... let them push the spam button .. it is not spam.
  • Profile picture of the author John Keane
    Based on my Experience

    There’s a long history of conflict between double opt-in and single opt-in list confirmation. Ultimately, email senders have to choose between list size and list quality. As an ESP, we tend to care a lot about the quality of your lists. After all, our IP reputation is at stake.

    A handful of bad lists can ruin the party for our million good users. That’s why you’ll hear us talk so much about double opt-in list confirmation.

    When talking about double opt-in, we tend to hear customers say, “Why should I make it harder for people to subscribe to my list?” I get it. After all, double opt-in does require people who want to get emails from you to… open an email from you. It’s an extra step, but I think it’s one you can afford. Cutting corners in list collection tends to generate bounces, blacklisting, spam trap hits, and other nasty stuff that can tank your emails.

    The question is, will using double opt-in really improve the stats that matter: opens, clicks, bounces, and unsubscribes?

    We took a random sample in our database of 30,000 users who’ve sent at least 10 campaigns. We wanted to make sure they’d have enough stats to make the analysis interesting. These users had list sizes from 500 to 1.5 million. Some of them send every day, and some of them send a couple of times a month.
  • Profile picture of the author sdalby
    Single opt-in... users are impatient these days and we have a shorter attention span than we used to with all the garbage across the web, so to make a highly convertible opt-in page, I'd always recommend to keep things minimal. Does this work for you?

Next Topics on Trending Feed