Elgg or Oxwall?

Profile picture of the author aceshigh888 by aceshigh888 Posted: 02/17/2013
I'm working on setting up a social network. I boiled it down to either going with:

Elgg ....or..... Oxwall

They're both free and have a lot of good features. I'm leaning toward Elgg I think seems to be a bigger community behind it.

What would you use? And if you've done an install would you be willing to install mine for cheap?
#elgg #oxwall

  • Profile picture of the author ltrain_riders
    ltrain_riders
    Which one did you end up going with and how has your experience been? I'm thinking about going with Oxwall because I like it's appearance.
  • Profile picture of the author Roman Cologne
    Roman Cologne
    I'm leaning toward Elgg I think seems to be a bigger community behind it.
    I never use it, but Elgg is the bigger and more famous one,
    this would be my choice...
  • Profile picture of the author Enfusia
    Enfusia
    If you want to choose between those two it would have to be Elgg.

    However, I would choose buddy press.

    You can go to my new (launched yesterday) social site for travelers where I'm running buddy press.

    You can take it for a test drive. http://vaykays.com

    Sign up contribute, start a real well thought out group etc, add a forum etc..
    When you add a group or forum please read Help/faq before hand. There is a slight glitch in the forum set up, the developers know about it and it will be fixed in the next upgrade.

    Comment on other peoples forums, add to the wiki or anything else you want. Just no affiliate links.
    Check out the online store etc...

    Thanks, Patrick
  • Profile picture of the author ltrain_riders
    ltrain_riders
    I've been doing research on social site software all day. Some other ones I came across were phpFox, Social Engine, and jomsocial but they all cost money. Social Engine looks cool on paper, but a lot of people complain about its speed. Plus you could end up spending $600+ with their extras. JomSocial requires joomla and I'd rather not learn that.

    elgg and oxwall look very similar and elgg appears to be the more popular, plus it's free. However, I think elgg will require a lot of custom programming to get things to work and look different than the default.
  • Profile picture of the author fycrowf
    fycrowf
    I've extensively searched and reviewed social networking software, especially free and open source and paid and open source costing under 300 USD. I think one should consider these things in selecting a particular plaform/system (in order of priority):

    1) Specific needs for social networking platform
    2) IT skills (i.e programming or web design)
    3) Budget
    4) Community behind the software (core developer team, real users of system, and third party developer)
    5) Reviews of the system (Be careful to distinguish affiliate reviews from real user reviews).

    For example, if you want to create a social network for your hunting club (where your member can exchange photos, events, etc), you don't have IT skill, and your total annual budget is 200 USD, I can safely tell you to go for oxwall hosted service (Wall.fm - Create Community Site | Start Site with Social Network), which is much cheaper than elgg hosted service (Elgg.com - a powerful open source social networking platform.).
  • Profile picture of the author mrgoe
    mrgoe
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post
    I'm working on setting up a social network. I boiled it down to either going with:

    Elgg ....or..... Oxwall

    They're both free and have a lot of good features. I'm leaning toward Elgg I think seems to be a bigger community behind it.

    What would you use? And if you've done an install would you be willing to install mine for cheap?
    Elgg seems the way to go for most marketers. But it's rather your own choice, if you like any of the two, go for it.
  • Profile picture of the author fycrowf
    fycrowf
    Originally Posted by fycrowf View Post
    I've extensively searched and reviewed social networking software, especially free and open source and paid and open source costing under 300 USD. I think one should consider these things in selecting a particular plaform/system (in order of priority):

    1) Specific needs for social networking platform
    2) IT skills (i.e programming or web design)
    3) Budget
    4) Community behind the software (core developer team, real users of system, and third party developer)
    5) Reviews of the system (Be careful to distinguish affiliate reviews from real user reviews).

    For example, if you want to create a social network for your hunting club (where your member can exchange photos, events, etc), you don't have IT skill, and your total annual budget is 200 USD, I can safely tell you to go for oxwall hosted service (Wall.fm - Create Community Site | Start Site with Social Network), which is much cheaper than elgg hosted service (Elgg.com - a powerful open source social networking platform.).
    Oxwall increased its prices on the same date of the post. Don't be surprise!
  • Profile picture of the author stoltingmediagroup
    stoltingmediagroup
    Originally Posted by Enfusia View Post
    You can go to my new (launched yesterday) social site for travelers where I'm running buddy press.
    Make sure to keep up with your spam maintenance. 80% of your current subscribers are spam bots. Check the comments on the right. Funny though.
  • Profile picture of the author wordpressmania
    wordpressmania
    Originally Posted by fycrowf View Post
    Oxwall increased its prices on the same date of the post. Don't be surprise!
    Hahaha... That is crazy indeed...

Related discussions