Gmail tabbed email inbox - getting emails into Primary not "Promotions" tab

Profile picture of the author kencalhn by
Hi -

Looks like gmail just rolled out the new tabbed version today. It's important to have emails delivered to the main Primary inbox, not the Promotions tab (or do all emails automatically go to Primary? and if a user moves any of your emails to Promotions, will all your future emails be banished there... any ideas on that? It's an important thing to "get right", for gmail deliverability.

-ken
#internet marketing #email #emails #gmail #inbox #primary #promotions #tab #tabbed

  • Profile picture of the author Jesus Perez
    I don't have hard details, but I think this will be hard to do.

    Gmail is probably looking for keywords in the header of the email. For example, all legitimate email providers send messages with a "list-unsubscribe" header. All Gmail needs to do is filter those messages into the Promotions tab. There are other giveaways, like IP addresses and return paths as well.

    Once we have a better idea exactly how they're filtering, then we can make adjustments.
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    I've noticed my emails are going into the "primary" tab so far, but still not sure what variables gmail looks for.

    I will narrow it down soon enough.

  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    They'll keep changing their variables as people catch on and start trying to manipulate things. Just like SEO.

    Just keep in mind that the average buyer in this industry would be pretty lonely without all of those product emails every day. They actually like looking through them. That's what opportunity seekers are. So they are not just going to ignore all of those emails because they are in a different tab.
  • Profile picture of the author HypnoHugh
    This update has just occurred on my gmail and many marketer promotions have been effectively sidelined to the Promotions tab.

    Fortunately so have Groupon & LivingSocial which gives people a reason to click on it.

    However, this will make it much harder for marketers since it will be harder to tempt people with a catchy headline amongst all their regular mail.

    Not all marketer emails have been sidelined but as yet I have not found any common denominators. It is not simply the unsubscribe link or text - although that would be one very easy way for Google to categorise promotional emails.

    Lets hope lots of important & innocent emails get caught up too to keep people clicking over.

    However it is quite audacious of Google to decide for you what is important etc.

    I notice my Google Alerts & other Google mail don't seem to be effected!

    It will be interested to see what other people come up with. No doubt there will be a WSO along within a week
  • Profile picture of the author Jenna619
    I have been selling solos and have not noticed any major changes in my clicks...Thank God...

    Jason Parker one of my fav. marketers is going to do a webinar covering how to fight back into googles games if you white list his emails so they go into main inbox.
  • Profile picture of the author Plugin Profits
    Originally Posted by Jenna619 View Post

    I have been selling solos and have not noticed any major changes in my clicks...Thank God...

    Jason Parker one of my fav. marketers is going to do a webinar covering how to fight back into googles games if you white list his emails so they go into main inbox.
    That might be the only way, asking your subscribers to manually change some settings so your emails show up in their primary box. If you get them to really want and look forward to your emails then they'll want to do that if they have the instructions how. Or better yet have them set up a specific folder just for your special emails.

    In way, if you can stand out and get them to do that, you'll have less competition from their other list clutter since those will be hidden in a different tab.
  • Profile picture of the author Plugin Profits
    Originally Posted by WillR View Post

    They'll keep changing their variables as people catch on and start trying to manipulate things. Just like SEO.

    Just keep in mind that the average buyer in this industry would be pretty lonely without all of those product emails every day. They actually like looking through them. That's what opportunity seekers are. So they are not just going to ignore all of those emails because they are in a different tab.
    Not everyone is in the IM niche.
  • Profile picture of the author hustlinsmoke
    Originally Posted by Jenna619 View Post

    I have been selling solos and have not noticed any major changes in my clicks...Thank God...

    Jason Parker one of my fav. marketers is going to do a webinar covering how to fight back into googles games if you white list his emails so they go into main inbox.
    Lol He is going to show us how to fight back but we have to whitelist him so he gets through. That is funny just too funny.

    Originally Posted by Plugin Profits View Post

    Not everyone is in the IM niche.
    It's not the niche your in its the aweber, getresponse ect dns and all the other jazz that gets you put in the promotional box.
    This is hitting some more than others. It does hit though.

    I still think a self hosted email marketing script is the way to go and will completely go back to it. If you use a mail server with it and a good program you will get the 99 percent or better deliverable rate.

    I know yah hear all the time, I wouldn't do that blah blah blah. Do you know that the majority of the Internet Marketers here have an account as an affiliate with companies like Aweber and Getresponse and even if they don't that is all they have heard is I WOULDN'T DO THAT.

    Take a look at your inbox, if your subscribed to say paradon or a major company, your still getting there emails in priority. Why? They are self hosted and google tends to favor these type of emails.

    Just do your research first and don't go to fast and you will be just fine.


    Edited................
    I wonder if Warriors uses one. When I get emails everything is self hosted so I doubt it. Honestly been looking at the mails that get through to my inbox and the majority are the ones that are self hosted.
  • Profile picture of the author hardworker2013
    I think this move by GMail is very unnecessary and will only confuse Gmail users.
    When i sign in i have to check 3 tabs to check my mail. That is foolishness!!!
  • Profile picture of the author flavius333
    Systems will continue to change - people will continue to adapt - but some will be lost on the way.

    In which category would you like to end up ? The whiners or the winners ? It all depends on mentality.

    Also, you have tot realize that Google doesn't care about the marketers - they care about their customers; whether this will be a beneficial change for the end user they'll measure with their feedback instruments; if it's not, they'll get back to the old settings, but if it is.. we have no reason to complain, it's just progress.. Adapt!
  • Profile picture of the author Coby
    Lots of debate about this topic here:

    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...i-thought.html

    Cheers,
    Coby
  • Profile picture of the author hustlinsmoke
    Originally Posted by hardworker2013 View Post

    I think this move by GMail is very unnecessary and will only confuse Gmail users.
    When i sign in i have to check 3 tabs to check my mail. That is foolishness!!!
    You don't have too, you can set it all to go to priority. I don't do this though, I like to track what gets to my inbox and very very very few aweber, getresponse ect get there, I can tell you that.

    Now take it some are right. Most people are dreamers and the next big thing buyers and look forward to these, but some of the people we sell just happened to buy something and wouldn't buy again unless we have a really great product but they won't see it cause there not the extreme case and won't look in that priority inbox.

    Quite a few marketers are downplaying this, and some aren't even seeing a drop in open rates.
    Trust me this is affecting the majority of marketers weather they downplay or not. Google has 80 percent of the market on free email accounts. This is hurting us.
  • Profile picture of the author Sue McDonald
    I am sure one of us will work it out but then Google will probably change it again.
  • Profile picture of the author hustlinsmoke
    Best quote yet. Yes, they will in the meantime my coder is feverishly making me a email marketing plugin that does what I want and I have signed up with a well w/e you call those guys that send email through there servers.
    Originally Posted by Sue McDonald View Post

    I am sure one of us will work it out but then Google will probably change it again.
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    Originally Posted by WillR View Post

    They'll keep changing their variables as people catch on and start trying to manipulate things. Just like SEO.

    Just keep in mind that the average buyer in this industry would be pretty lonely without all of those product emails every day. They actually like looking through them. That's what opportunity seekers are. So they are not just going to ignore all of those emails because they are in a different tab.
    Will hit in on the head, and its a great way to think about this problem.

    I see lots of warriors are panicking about this...but its the email marketers that are spamming that will really bomb in the next few months.

    If you are sending good stuff, expect to get more reads, and more sales....simple as that. Its actually going to help the good email marketers this Gmail TAB updates.
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    There will be a FLIGHT TO QUALITY. People who send quality updates will probably BENEFIT the most because there is LESS COMPETITION.

    This is actually good news if you are a STRAIGHT SHOOTER and you conduct yourself with INTEGRITY and always seek to ADD VALUE TO THE LIVES of your LIST MEMBERS.

    Let's hope the filters get EVEN TIGHTER in the future. This can only push people to step their game up and deliver QUALITY.
  • Profile picture of the author hustlinsmoke
    Edited. I don't even see emails from Warrior Will anymore, anywhere.

    I don't agree, I am tracking closely my open rates ect. They have dropped dramatically and I do not spam. I have all tabs in Gmaill so I can see what comes in and out, ie. Primary Social Promotions Updates and Forums, Heck none of it makes sense since like warrior mails go to updates I have nothing in forums at all and I get ton of forum mails.
    Promotions is overloaded with everything.

    Gmail makes up 80 percent of the free email market. It will hit everyone and I can not see how it will not. Yes you will have your subscribers as I have said that are faithful and read but a lot of people buy on impulse and I know they won't be going through there promotional inbox.

    Originally Posted by celente View Post

    Will hit in on the head, and its a great way to think about this problem.

    I see lots of warriors are panicking about this...but its the email marketers that are spamming that will really bomb in the next few months.

    If you are sending good stuff, expect to get more reads, and more sales....simple as that. Its actually going to help the good email marketers this Gmail TAB updates.
  • Profile picture of the author hustlinsmoke
    I have found several triggers so far.
    1. The unsubscribe in the header.
    2. The originating email ip
    3. The affiliate link in the email
    4. The unsubscribe link.

    If anyone knows of more let me know. I can take care of the header the unsubscribe link (yes and still be legal)
    The ip address and the affiliate link and don't think you can cloak it to get it past google, it won't work.

    There must be one trigger I am missing though.

    Originally Posted by Jesus Perez View Post

    I don't have hard details, but I think this will be hard to do.

    Gmail is probably looking for keywords in the header of the email. For example, all legitimate email providers send messages with a "list-unsubscribe" header. All Gmail needs to do is filter those messages into the Promotions tab. There are other giveaways, like IP addresses and return paths as well.

    Once we have a better idea exactly how they're filtering, then we can make adjustments.

Next Topics on Trending Feed