What is the maximum number of people we can follow on twitter in a single day?

by 15 comments
Hello All,

Is there any daily limit on the numbers of people we can follow on twitter in a single day?
#internet marketing #day #follow #maximum #number #people #single #twitter

  • Profile picture of the author John Sullivan
    As Far as I know there isn't a limit to follow per day but the overall limit is 2000 last time I checked, this may have changed now.

    John
  • Profile picture of the author Arunabh Singh
    Originally Posted by John Sullivan View Post

    As Far as I know there isn't a limit to follow per day but the overall limit is 2000 last time I checked, this may have changed now.

    John
    Somewhere I heard that twitter disables your account if you follow more then 100 peoples in a day. Is this true?

    If the maximum limit is 2000 then how come people follow 10000 peoples?
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Klatt
    When I was starting out, I read in a marketing on Twitter guide you could follow about 300 per day and be safe. I followed 400 a day and had no problems.

    Although in a technical sense, until you have 2,000 followers, you can only follow 2,000 people. After that you're limited to following 10% more than you have following you.

    So I have about 5,500 followers, and that means I can follow 550 more than that, or 6,050.

    Warmly,
    Dan
  • Profile picture of the author ltdraper
    The limits are:

    1,000 follows/day - this is fairly recent.

    2,000 follows total - You can follow 2,000 people without any restriction other than the 1,000/day. After that, your followers have to equal at least 90% of the number of people you want to follow. So if you're following people without being followed back you'll hit this.

    1,000 updates/day - That's a lot of tweeting!

    100 API calls/hours - you'll see this on twitter clients -- every time they refresh they're using an API call.
  • Profile picture of the author ltdraper
    Originally Posted by nunu View Post

    Somewhere I heard that twitter disables your account if you follow more then 100 peoples in a day. Is this true?

    If the maximum limit is 2000 then how come people follow 10000 peoples?
    Not true. We routinely follow ~1,000/day without any problem.

    It's all about validation. If people are following you back, you won't attract any attention. If you follow people and never get followed back (because your profile is so spammy) then you'll trigger their flags.

    It's also a smart idea to build up your velocity slowly. So your first day follow 100, the next 200, 300, etc.

    Twitter also seems to try to detect bots and scripts. If you're just going through the followers page of someone famous and hitting every follow link you're likely to attract their attention.
  • Profile picture of the author zeurois
    Twitter.com doesn't reveal the "numbers" policy.

    However, many say that the first limit is 2000 (not per day or per month, just 2000). After that, you can follow about 10% of your followers (ie if you have 2000 followers you'd be able to follow 200 more and then you'll have to wait).
  • Profile picture of the author ltdraper
    Originally Posted by zeurois View Post

    Twitter.com doesn't reveal the "numbers" policy.

    However, many say that the first limit is 2000 (not per day or per month, just 2000). After that, you can follow about 10% of your followers (ie if you have 2000 followers you'd be able to follow 200 more and then you'll have to wait).
    Actually, they do state their numbers: Twitter Support :: I can't follow people: follow limits

    The 10% is what people have observed, but the 2,000 number is published by Twitter.

    I've seen the 10% personally because I calculated it based upon when I started getting the 'You can't follow any more people today" message.
  • Profile picture of the author Arunabh Singh
    Originally Posted by ltdraper View Post

    Not true. We routinely follow ~1,000/day without any problem.

    It's all about validation. If people are following you back, you won't attract any attention. If you follow people and never get followed back (because your profile is so spammy) then you'll trigger their flags.

    It's also a smart idea to build up your velocity slowly. So your first day follow 100, the next 200, 300, etc.

    Twitter also seems to try to detect bots and scripts. If you're just going through the followers page of someone famous and hitting every follow link you're likely to attract their attention.
    I am following them manually.
  • Profile picture of the author Dmitry
    Originally Posted by ltdraper View Post

    It's also a smart idea to build up your velocity slowly. So your first day follow 100, the next 200, 300, etc.

    Twitter also seems to try to detect bots and scripts. If you're just going through the followers page of someone famous and hitting every follow link you're likely to attract their attention.
    So how do you follow that many people without "hitting every follow link"?
  • Profile picture of the author Dana_W
    I've heard from a few people recently that they were cut off after following 1000 people, as was mentioned above. In the past I followed about 2000 people in one day - then was cut off from following more until I had 2000 people following ME.

    But Twitter is constantly changing the way things work, in an effort to keep out spammers.

    They are still pretty liberal overall compared to, say, Facebook.
  • Profile picture of the author Mr_Lauri
    Any tried recently? What are the numbers a day? I've been reading that you should keep it under 50 these days. Any exprience?
  • Profile picture of the author DogScout
    If you are not spamming, Retweeting a few times and interacting with some of your followers, 1000 is the daily limit. If you are just spamming, you can be suspended or banned even if you do not follow anyone.

    In other words... if the powers to be at twitter feel your presence there is more positive than negative, you can get away with more. (But your account will hit the glass ceiling at the 1,000th person you follow in a 24 hr period.)
  • Profile picture of the author zoomsixx
    I have been following 500 per day on a new account without any problems. I think I may up that a little. Does anyone know any tricks on maximizing followers they would like to share?
  • Profile picture of the author RocksIT
    Actually yea, I stumbled upon this "trick"... buy a fiverr $5 package. There's tons available. They'll give you a 1000's of followers in 24hrs... then you're free to follow away at keyword targeted users with your software, so you don't have to worry about your follow back ratio.
  • Profile picture of the author uniquecontent
    Technically you cannot follow more than 1000 people in a day and total limit is 2000 for every user and rest is proportionate with followers to followings

Next Topics on Trending Feed