Do You Need A Business License To Sell Ebooks?

by 5 comments
I am ALMOST done w/ my 1st site and wanted to know at what point I need to go down and get a business license and do all the proper tax stuff...

I heard anything over $600 in profits in 1 year required a business license, but under that I dont need one. What do you guys do here?

But of course you still need to "claim" EVERYTHING you own w/ the tax man as income I believe.

Thanks guys!! Sheila
#main internet marketing discussion forum #business #ebooks #license #sell
  • Profile picture of the author artwebster
    This sounds a crazy system. Do you mean to tell me that anybody who has a garage sale and is likely to make $600 in profit needs to have a licence?

    I have spoken to many sole traders in America and none of them have mentioned this rule to me - indeed many of them are not even incorporated since they can see the advantages in their position
  • Profile picture of the author joshril
    Technically, if you use an assumed name that does not include your surname, you are supposed to at the very least register a dba or "doing business as" name.

    The $600 you are referring to is likely the amount at which someone is required to send a 1099 to you and the IRS if you have performed work or services for them. A 1099 could be sent out for any amount, but most of the time they are only sent out for income above $600. If you are selling ebooks, there is no 1099 of course... However, any and all income you make online or offline, even $1, is required to be reported to the IRS as income whether you receive a 1099 or not. Failure to do so can lead to audit, penalties, interest, etc.
  • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
    You'll need to check state and local laws. But, it's likely you do because the government does demand their pound of flesh, especially from small business owners.
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Carl Kelly
    The $600 figure refers to federal income taxes, not licensing requirements. Your license requirements will depend on the regulations in your locality.

Next Topics on Trending Feed