Why motivational things don't work.

by GordonJ 103 replies
External motivation is like deodorant on a marathon runner on a 90 degree day...it doesn't last long.

And we see that here, year after year after year.

Take Tony Robbins, the most successful motivational coach ever. Think on this:

30 years of motivational works, an estimated take home of 30 million bux a year translates to a LOT OF PEOPLE being motivated.

Some of these have spent tens of thousands of dollars to feel the heat of a Tony pep rally. They come back from the island all fired up (if not downright burned).

Then 6 months later, they need more, they have fallen back into their old habits.

And after 30 years, these people have become motivated failures. Failures by their own accounts because they have not achieved those Giant dreams which had been awakened.

In 10th grade Latin class I learned motive came from a latin word meaning to MOVE.

Motivational appeals move you mentally for a short period of time, but because most don't understand how and why the brain works, the movement (mentally toward positive belief) is short term and temporary.

A motive is a REASON to move.

It is the stimulus which causes a response of ACTION, or a response of movement.

All the positive thinking, the visualization, the manifestation practices in the world won't work unless there is a foundation. And too many have a foundation of sand on someone's beach, and when the tides come in, it washes everything away.

A foundation built on solid ground, on understanding the how and why, serves you better than the quick little shots of instant energy drinks that motivational stuff provides.

IF you find yourself in constant need of these little shots of motivation, you would be wise to take a look at your foundation...the WHY you are doing what you are doing...and the WHAT

the outcome will be when the motion is either concluded or at a point of rest which allows a look back to all the action, and then you can correct your action and adjust your MOVEMENT to get where you want to go.

So, how much deodorant do you need today?

GordonJ
#mind warriors #motivational #things #work
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Mark_Austin
    Spot on Gordon.

    That's not to say positive thinking isn’t a good thing, the problem is, well…you need to think about it too much!

    Understanding the true process and nature of thought is far more important than the thoughts you are having themselves.

    There is far too much focus in the motivational world in getting people into a peak state,,,and we all know what comes after a peak!
  • Profile picture of the author virtualglobalphone
    GordonJ, You have addressed the dilemma of "motivation" / "personality development" beautifully.

    One of the probable reason is "free will" which most of the adult can take up by throwing the cash.

    Today we all adults are lost in path and direction ... , so these motivational feels like a thing you can purchase and keep it in the pocket.

    But in reality its not... each of these words needs "action" of many years....

    So these 'motivational' words can be addressed right from kinder garden. So by the time kid grown into adult these words are part of the life.
    Signature
    Introducing Click to Call.
    https://www.virtualglobalphone.com
    • Profile picture of the author grumpyjacksa
      Originally Posted by virtualglobalphone View Post

      But in reality its not... each of these words needs "action" of many years....

      So these 'motivational' words can be addressed right from kinder garden. So by the time kid grown into adult these words are part of the life.
      Now THAT is a great idea. If we can maintain the enthusiasm and curiosity of children as they grow up, we will be helping them to develop into phenomenal people.

      Just my 0.02c
  • Profile picture of the author Dprsunlimited
    I think their are 2 main problems that most people have
    1. Is they go try to get "motivation" for something that may make them $$$ but they don't truly like or even worse something that they hate and that quickly makes them lose "steam"

    And

    2. Most people lack specifics in their goals... your goals need to be spicific and measurable or you will quickly lose Steven just because your subconscious mind does not know what you truly want.

    For example if i tell you there is a box with $1,000,000 in it and if you find it you can have it. You may try but if that is all the information I give you, very quickly you will give up
    However; if I told you there was a box with $1,000,000 in it at locker 27 in DIA on the east wing and if you get there you can have it. Ypu would get there very quickly... unfortunately most people don't have specific enough goals to make them measurable and achievable so they lose "motivation"

    Just my thoughts
  • Profile picture of the author Gas Dumfarht
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    no deoderant and i work as a buscker on the las vegas strip..so it will be 105 degrees when i start working today ..

    deodorant caused me to break out in nasty rashes .. 7 quick showers a day helps avoid bo.

    anyway tony robin is much more than a motivation guy ..and manytimes taking part in those event allows you to meet other people ..

    you can turn the work you do into another boring job and squueze every second of productivity out of a day..or you can focus on doing the work in a way that motvates you
  • Profile picture of the author NestZone
    Positive thinking is a simple process, but when we follow most of this talks on motivation, we become drown in our own thoughts.

    SIMPLE. Have you ever though of the sequence of occurrence of things in your life?
    Those things that you actually occupy your mind with are the things that really happen.
    You start living your life mentally before it manifest physically.

    Control your thoughts, you control your life.
  • Profile picture of the author Happerz
    The problem is positive thinking requires education, and many of these people motivate us, and make us feel excited about all these promises, without proper education.

    They could stand there for four hours and tell you all about how you can fix a car if you just put your mind to it you all you have to do is get in there and try your hardest and you can do it it's all in your mind.

    But until I said down and actually teach us the intellectual information, no matter how excited we are, were going to go out with mostly the same actions and behaviors we went in with, and wondering why were not seeing a difference in our results.

    If we want to succeed, it requires two things:

    1. The emotional confidence and motivation to believe in ourselves enough to motivate ourselves to take action.

    2. The roadmap to know exactly what steps to take which will lead to the results we want.

    I know this because I face the same problem for many years.

    We already intuitively know we have the power inside us to succeed, what were wondering is why what we know to be true deep down inside ourselves already isn't working.
  • Profile picture of the author dre1507
    Spot on, dude. I realized this just a while ago, and since then, I've stopped reading/watching motivational material. It has to come from within if you're just getting started. As a newbie in whatever your endeavor may be, what moves you has to come from your own reasoning. It's dangerous to take on and try to move forward with the thoughts/feelings/desires of someone else, because the minute you realize that what's been moving you isn't really what moves you, you're going to lose the will to continue. Now you're caught in a situation where you need to quickly find YOUR motive, because the longer you take to do so, the less likely you will continue to progress...IF you had even made any.

    External motivation only works for those who don't need much to get going again (keyword: again) i.e. those who've tasted of consistent success before, but have fallen into a bit of a slump. They don't need to be motivated every few months, because that one shot of motivation will not become their reason for moving. It will only serve as a reminder as to why they got moving in the first place. And so they'll be able to move for a long time again on their own.
    • Profile picture of the author Happerz
      If breakdown the word emotion in relation to Einstein's E=MC2 (energy equals mass times acceleration), and remove the E from emotion, we end up with the word motion.

      E stands for energy, emotions are the energy in motion that drives us to take the actions we take, or don't take, based on the emotion that gets created, either way there is energy propelling us in a certain direction.

      External motivation works if we already have the education and know how to do a were trying to do, and we just need the mental belief in ourselves to get there.

      Then the worst part is we fail because we don't realize that we were taught properly, and it takes us months or even years to work up the motivation to try again, when the reality is we just needed to be taught correctly.

      We need to know how to direct our energy, if we don't were setting ourselves up for failure before we even get started.
  • Profile picture of the author theoperator
    I tend to disagree.

    I know what your sying though. I myself went to a tony robbins rally only because I wnated to see what he looked like in person. But I left half way through because they started doing some weird things.

    However....

    One tiny spark of motivation can ignite a MASSIVE FIRE in a persons mind. Can change their whole mind, and whole world. And you never know what that spark might be or where it might come from.

    And I could list a thousand examples of this. But I don't have the time. Look up helen kellers mentor, and her background. Or any number of people. They got inspired by someone at some point, and the rest is truely history.

    And ya most fail. Most listen to that stuff and go right back to their habbits. But really most people aren't geared to soar to great hights. And that's perfectly okay. It takes all types for the world to go around. We wouldn't even be talking right now if everyone was some kind of hard charging A type personality. The world would be over long ago, as theired be too many sharks and not enough tuna.

    But motivation and inspiration is like sparks. Most die. Most don't do nothing. But all it takes is one spark to cause a fire right.
    • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
      Originally Posted by theoperator View Post

      I tend to disagree.

      I know what your sying though. I myself went to a tony robbins rally only because I wnated to see what he looked like in person. But I left half way through because they started doing some weird things.

      However....

      One tiny spark of motivation can ignite a MASSIVE FIRE in a persons mind. Can change their whole mind, and whole world. And you never know what that spark might be or where it might come from.

      And I could list a thousand examples of this. But I don't have the time. Look up helen kellers mentor, and her background. Or any number of people. They got inspired by someone at some point, and the rest is truely history.

      And ya most fail. Most listen to that stuff and go right back to their habbits. But really most people aren't geared to soar to great hights. And that's perfectly okay. It takes all types for the world to go around. We wouldn't even be talking right now if everyone was some kind of hard charging A type personality. The world would be over long ago, as theired be too many sharks and not enough tuna.

      But motivation and inspiration is like sparks. Most die. Most don't do nothing. But all it takes is one spark to cause a fire right.
      Yes, you are right. Please consider the difference between inspiration and motivation.

      Motivation, as I presented it, is about movement, or daily activity in the direction of a goal.

      Inspiration, for my discussion, is a connecting of synaptic activity, movement in the brain.

      Having spoken to scores of inventors as part of my job at a big marketing company, I found out three things about inventors in general (ones trying to sell their invention).

      1) They fall in love with their idea and think "EVERYONE will want one"
      2) They want their million bux now, in spite of what the market tells them
      3) Their inspiration comes at any time, place and there appears to be no rhyme or reason.

      Sure, one could get inspired at a Tony Robbins rally, or even Amway (inspired to get out?)
      or while in the shower, taking a walk, reading, watching TV.

      In most instances, INSPIRATION is a precursor to Motivation, and in brain chemistry, that is a way that ideas take place, a collision of chemicals, so to speak.

      We all get inspired, and everyone here has had or will have a MILLION dollar idea.
      And we may get excited.
      Excitation is a neural response to stimuli.

      Excitation happens when we read the WSO section and think, "this guy has it figured out"...and spend our 7 bux only to find out, "NO he ain't".

      Tony Robbins is skilled and trained in exciting crowds.You left halfway through because THEY started doing weird things, but not weird for the masses. Next time stay and get a great lesson on mass control and mass hypnosis.

      I don't want to be splitting hairs nor parsing definitions, but, please consider that inspiration and motivation are. perhaps the double edges of a sword, and probably we don't have one with out the other.

      My studies and research have taken place after the cool down, after the high, when the crowd has gone home, pumped up, inspired and motivated...

      what takes place in the net few months, what happens which prevents them from applying all the knowledge they gained from Tony (et al) and repeat the cycle.

      How do we keep stimulating our brains to continuously tap into the inspiration which provided the original motivator, and how is the most efficient way to do that?

      But, I do agree with you, one spark can start a fire, but it quickly becomes cold embers anyone can walk over, the trick is to "feed the fire" with activity which takes one to their goal automatically.

      GordonJ
      Signature

  • Profile picture of the author Princess Balestra
    Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

    External motivation is like deodorant on a marathon runner on a 90 degree day...it doesn't last long.

    And we see that here, year after year after year.

    Take Tony Robbins, the most successful motivational coach ever. Think on this:

    30 years of motivational works, an estimated take home of 30 million bux a year translates to a LOT OF PEOPLE being motivated.

    Some of these have spent tens of thousands of dollars to feel the heat of a Tony pep rally. They come back from the island all fired up (if not downright burned).

    Then 6 months later, they need more, they have fallen back into their old habits.

    And after 30 years, these people have become motivated failures. Failures by their own accounts because they have not achieved those Giant dreams which had been awakened.

    In 10th grade Latin class I learned motive came from a latin word meaning to MOVE.

    Motivational appeals move you mentally for a short period of time, but because most don't understand how and why the brain works, the movement (mentally toward positive belief) is short term and temporary.

    A motive is a REASON to move.

    It is the stimulus which causes a response of ACTION, or a response of movement.

    All the positive thinking, the visualization, the manifestation practices in the world won't work unless there is a foundation. And too many have a foundation of sand on someone's beach, and when the tides come in, it washes everything away.

    A foundation built on solid ground, on understanding the how and why, serves you better than the quick little shots of instant energy drinks that motivational stuff provides.

    IF you find yourself in constant need of these little shots of motivation, you would be wise to take a look at your foundation...the WHY you are doing what you are doing...and the WHAT

    the outcome will be when the motion is either concluded or at a point of rest which allows a look back to all the action, and then you can correct your action and adjust your MOVEMENT to get where you want to go.

    So, how much deodorant do you need today?

    GordonJ
    Just tested Google for "Doesitive Thinking" -- but it shows zilcho.

    When they catch up, definition is here.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

  • Profile picture of the author oppyeaunome
    This post really hit home. I've discovered the same thing recently. Positive thinking and all of the other motivational techniques will only be able to take you so far. I used to be a motivational junkie. Everyday I would have to watch some video with someone that was pumping me up just so that I would be able to make it through my day.

    When the day is over, I'm burned out and would have to do the same thing the next day. I'm sure that if we were to get a list of the people that come to these types of events, we would all be able to find the same people that have been coming to these events for years and still are in the same place.

    I think that reason for this is that it's like a drug. When you watch a motivational video or you hear a motivational speaker you go on this sort of high and it feels good. The only problem is that you come down and start to feel so low that you start looking for the next video so that you will be able to get your next hit.

    Getting pumped up only lasts for the moment, but changing your habits is what gives you the power that you need to truly make it through your day.

    After reading "The Power Of Habit" by Charles Duhigg, I started to realize that there were many things in my life that were holding me back. Things that if I did not read the book I would not have ever thought about.

    As you said another big reason that most people give up is because they do not know their "why". Sometimes I would just sit while I was working and just ask myself the question "why are you doing all of this?" and after going through that, I would get the motivation I need to crank out a little bit more.

    I love this post that you've shared with us because there is so much simple truth in it.

    The first thing that I will tell anyone to focus on is why they want to have the things that they want in their life. The next thing that I would tell them to focus on is to take a look at the routines and habits in their lives. This will allow them to see the things that they need to change.

    Track your progress and over time. If you remain consistent you'll start to see small changes in your life which add up over time to give you the life that you want.
  • Profile picture of the author firnena
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author Realwann
    Motivating people with the seeds that you planted in your head and you have been watering them maybe for years, making your self believe in what you say 100% and convince your brain with certain ideologies, is not really easy to transfer them to someone especially if they are going to hear what you are saying for the first time, everything needs time. Am a person who likes to motivate people around me, and i get frustrated about it when they dont react or dont feel the energy and the information am giving them and maybe some take it for granted... its my personal experience with my own circle.
    Like i said earlier when you try to motivate someone, you are talking to them with your experiences, with all the things you have done.. things you failed at, they wont understand you because they are not you, because you also grew from where you once were, and maybe they are still backwards or they will never be able to understand and encrypt your messages!
    Signature
    Realwann
    Graphic and web designer
    Business therapist
    http://www.redwanbelhadri.com
  • Profile picture of the author arushithakur
    Hey GordonJ

    I would say positive thinking and motivation is an essential part of everyone life. Sometime we feel enthusiasm and zest for life is missing then you need motivation to regain focus in your life.
  • Profile picture of the author Kenny Lee
    I think it's unfair to say motivation doesn't work.

    Motivation works if we have our goal and are committed to it. Rain or shine we will stay on our path. Even if we feel terrible waking up in the morning we will commit to our goals.

    When we are truly committed to our goals, then some external motivation will be catalyst that would push us closer to what we want to achieve.

    I believe motivation works but only if we are committed.

    Cheers,
    Kenny
  • Profile picture of the author creratechange
    This post really attracted me.

    I have to disagree although you made some very valid points, and reading through the comments it seems many others agree with you.

    I was homeless when I was 22 for a period of time. I slept in a gym that wasn't 24 hour. I slept in a broken 2 seater convertible during the winter and christmas period and I stayed on various couches of different friends. All because everything failed when I tried to chase my dream.

    I got myself up and am now in the process of starting my own business. I'm not going to write an essay that will bore any of you, I just want to say that the reason motivation does not work for many of you is because you have too much. You are not in a situation with your back up against the wall as bad as you think, and trust me you have to put yourself in a situation where it is do or die and then you will see how far motivation will take you.But most of you won't do that. Motivation can give you so much but its your mind that you need to adjust to feel the full benefit from it.

    I've started online marketing for products I believe in and not only products that cost but products for free. You don't need to pay out all the time to make a start you can use YouTube and stuff yourself but if you seriously think motivation isn't helping you then try meditating first. That's what I did. I'll add a link you can watch a FREE video about the Awakening Of Yourself.

    Click this link!!!

    It is actually free so may be worth checking out but if not go bash YouTube, go buy books from Les Brown, Eric Thomas, Jim Rohn or countless others you can never spend too much investment on yourself no matter where you get it.

    Good Luck guys
    • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
      I never said motivation doesn't work.

      Here is another way to look at it. Christmas. Many kids set up little trains that go around and around, and

      around. Some people, millions of them, but, not you, of course...

      go round and round and round to Tony Robbins, Jim Rohn, Les Brown, etc., etc. etc. workshops, seminars, books, courses...

      Again, MILLIONs of people and they look like that little train at Christmas. Blowing a lot of smoke, making noise and going around the tree, getting nowhere.

      Different from the guy with a basement full of trains, with cities, and mountains and tunnels for his toy trains to go through, around and over.
      Although it looks different than the Christmas train, at the end of the run, it too is a train that goes around and around. Just has a lot of ORNAMENTAL magnifiers on it to make it look like its going somewhere.

      Then, there are real trains. Some get on them and actually go somewhere, and a few even have a destination, or a goal of where they want to go.

      Motivational junkies just get on the nearest train, with the most smoke and noise coming from it, and end up where they started.

      The inspired and motivated get on the right train because they had the initial reason, THE initial spark, hunger or dissatisfaction and that is the all the motivation they need.

      A goal. A reason why. Continuous effort adjusted.

      OR, round and round the mulberry bush...

      GordonJ
      Signature

  • Profile picture of the author Frank Phillips
    I don't listen to motivational messages any more because quite frankly I'm fed up with them.

    Instead I have compiled a hypnosis CD of my cherished hypnotist.

    I play it right while I'm a sleep and noticed monumental changes down the road.

    The problem with watching/listening to messages while you're awake is that they go to waste because you consciously reject them, or you get a quick fix that doesn't last long.

    Just sleep on it.
  • Profile picture of the author Richard Catter
    Banned
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author Princess Balestra
    Here's onea mine bombed last year.

    http://www.warriorforum.com/mind-war...-motivate.html

    Motivation gurus, feel free to quote my ass.

    Thing is, any endya got in mind gotta have sum means attached, or you gonna busy yourself doin' sumthin' else less clearly defined an' desirable.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

  • Profile picture of the author theoperator
    I think it's ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING how Tony Robbins swears and curses endlessly in his private seminars like "date with destiny". It's so shameful, dispicable, gross, nasty, disrespectful, and I could go on and on. They say he does that as some kind of a psychological tactic. But what a farse. The guy tells you that you need to "raise your standards". Well it's like...ya Tony Robbins, I did raise my standards, that why I can't stand your B.S. and your stupid swearing. Like watch the show "I am not your guru" on netflix, you'll turn it right off after 10 minutes. After you watch him swearing and cursing at everyone endlessly. It's so sick. Like these people pay 5000 dollars to go there to attend and to be sweared at for 6 days. It's nuts. Tony Robbins is has turned into the most shameful fraud I've ever seen. But money corrupts people. So I'm sure he figures he has no accountability because he's rich or something. It's truely sad. Like to see someone you hold in high esteem go from a decent person to a total jerk! I hope he takes his own advice and raises his standards.
    • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
      Originally Posted by theoperator View Post

      I think it's ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING how Tony Robbins swears and curses endlessly in his private seminars like "date with destiny". It's so shameful, dispicable, gross, nasty, disrespectful, and I could go on and on. They say he does that as some kind of a psychological tactic. But what a farse. The guy tells you that you need to "raise your standards". Well it's like...ya Tony Robbins, I did raise my standards, that why I can't stand your B.S. and your stupid swearing. Like watch the show "I am not your guru" on netflix, you'll turn it right off after 10 minutes. After you watch him swearing and cursing at everyone endlessly. It's so sick. Like these people pay 5000 dollars to go there to attend and to be sweared at for 6 days. It's nuts. Tony Robbins is has turned into the most shameful fraud I've ever seen. But money corrupts people. So I'm sure he figures he has no accountability because he's rich or something. It's truely sad. Like to see someone you hold in high esteem go from a decent person to a total jerk! I hope he takes his own advice and raises his standards.
      Please give this some thought, OK? I think it is a communication problem for YOU.

      He doesn't care, is purposeful in the language he uses, and that is what gives him his cult and his 30 million bux a year.

      I don't know YOU. But, I know human behavior. I'm currently trying to help people elsewhere with grasping the FOUR types...which is a condensed version of Jungian ideas, as used in the Myers-Brigg's test.

      Without launching into all that, you are probably a Green with some Yellow...and Tony on stage is a RED, very much so. Now these don't mean anything to you, may sound like nonsense to you.

      IF you were take just a little time and study how you process information and how other types of people present themselves to the world, because they can't help themselves. This would benefit YOU greatly, screw Tony, he's doing just fine.

      But your very powerful reaction to his language is a key, which if you take the time to unlock the WHY you feel so strongly about it, it may of great benefit to yourself down the road.

      GordonJ

      PS. I believe he swears more today, for one very simple reason, he wants to impress Frank Kern, who has Tony hypnotized like a little kitty with a laser. So, he can't help himself, the need to impress Frank is so powerful, he'd say anything. HA!
      Signature

Trending Topics