Do the motivational speakers 'you can do it!' rah-rah really work?

by 15 replies
I have no intentions to butt-hurt any motivational speaker out here. But I think it is necessary to get things straight with those preaching how well Tonny Robbins F-bombs work. Or how well Les Brown hit them in the gut.

It feels good to be motivated. Listening all those motivational stories about how a blind man climbed the mountain or a paraplegic won the Olympics Gold; it's like a positivity beam dissecting right through our ear drums...

But does the 'you can do it' rah rah really work in the long run? Well, I am about to take down motivational rah rah upside down naked.

Hark unto me for next few minutes .

Motivational speakers instill nothing but Euphoria

Yeah. Euphoria that lasts for a day or two. It's like putting your brain on cocaine - an initial stage of pleasantness followed by a stage of depression.

I have been into key notes of many speakers. The hall is always full of energy. A question here, a question there. An F-bomb here and an F-bomb there. The crowd goes all crazy. Everyone thinks it's life changing stuff. There are couple of "aha" moments too.... and moments when we say "oh! So that was the reason I had always lose."

Seats goes hot. Crowd gets charged. They clap and dance on the "inspiration" they are learning.

This is usually followed by a lunch/dinner.

And the very next day, everything is over. The charged up dude sees his colleagues behaving the same way as they did last week and so he thinks "Well, so this was all for one night. Let's get back to REAL world."

Motivational sessions give us nothing but temporary Euphoria. Unless you are a boxer, you don't need that..do you?

The most fundamental problem with all the motivational stuff.

It is not crafted for us.

It is crafted for everyone. And so, although it might sound like resonating with our problems, it actually doesn't.

Even if the magic works on someone, he starts to model the motivational speaker's success. Why? Becuase he is unaware of the "self-efficacy" phenomenon.

Self-efficacy revolves around the fact that we are not created with equal potentials.It is the awareness of our unique capabilities that make us self-efficient. Almost 100% of the time, the message taught by motivational speakers is not tailored to our unique capabilities. And the very unawareness of the self-efficacy makes the listener incapable of tailoring those messages according to his requirements.

The result: Even if you follow the motivational guru footsteps, it won't work because you were not raised equally.

Motivation is an external stimulus and so it is an illusion.

An Illusion is defined as a wrong or misinterpreted perception in the presence of an external stimulus.

For instance, a stick (external stimulus) may look like a snake for someone experiencing illusions. Same is the case with motivation.

As it comes externally, it makes us depended on it. And just because the guru can't be around every time the external stimulus is required, we eventually lose the temporary drive.

Motivation is bound to be lost. It is the desert sand creeping through our closed fist.

But do you want to know, what's eternal? What lasts forever?

It's inspiration, my friend.

Inspiration is from within. It is not external. It's not characterized by euphoria. Instead, it is a constant nudge that can drive you all day without a lick of lactic acid.

For example, nobody has to motivate Elon Musk, inspiration drives him.

If you are someone looking up to Instagram for your daily dose of motivation, or someone who loves to hear an orator shouting 'you can do it!', chances are you are not doing something you love.

Stop being a slave to cocaine. Better be on rehab from today.

Thanks
#mind warriors #motivational #rahrah #speakers #work
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author alextrevayne
    I see your point as I have been to many of these conferences and that feeling only lasts a few days. At a point, I used to go and listen to them once a week so it kept me motivated for longer time. Even though I didn't accomplish any big goals at the moment with that, All their stories are still in my head and I use them on my emails or my own conferences.
    Signature
    7 Characteristics Of Successful Entrepreneurs
    CLICK HERE TO GET ACCESS TO FREE REPORT
    • Profile picture of the author marktman571
      Originally Posted by alextrevayne View Post

      I see your point as I have been to many of these conferences and that feeling only lasts a few days. At a point, I used to go and listen to them once a week so it kept me motivated for longer time. Even though I didn't accomplish any big goals at the moment with that, All their stories are still in my head and I use them on my emails or my own conferences.
      It's good that you managed to learn something from these talks and utilized the ideas in your own work. Staying motivated is a very hard thing to accomplish and basically it's just the temporary feeling that lasts for a little while and then becomes a fairy dust. It's your passion for work and focus that can help turn things around and sometimes you have to teach that yourself . It's just my personal opinion and definitely it can vary among many people.
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    does it really work ..

    yes and no .. some people change their lives .. many go back to normal ..then a good chunk just use it like a drug ..

    you may need motivation to take action..then you develop habits that drive you to take those actions every day ..

    but if you just get motivated ..let it wear of .. get your next hit .. and your next one ..but never act
    • Profile picture of the author marktman571
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      does it really work ..

      yes and no .. some people change their lives .. many go back to normal ..then a good chunk just use it like a drug ..

      you may need motivation to take action..then you develop habits that drive you to take those actions every day ..

      but if you just get motivated ..let it wear of .. get your next hit .. and your next one ..but never act
      That's the thing. Motivational talks are a self propelling cycle that arouses a feeling to achieve something for a time being and then gets worn out because it seems way too much for some people to accomplish by using their own means. Changing your habits after listening to these talks can be a game changer which I think many people fail to do so.
  • Profile picture of the author Eden A
    I see what you meant,
    There is a point in there.

    Let's say this it's more of yes and no all together.

    Now let say you hear a video of Tony Robbins on YouTube
    yeah, you get so pumped up and start to work and at some
    point your energy goes down.

    Well, now if you listen to a whole course (and not
    just his courses)
    they give you some "tasks to do"
    like writing your goals etc etc, yeah, you get right
    head and writing them so caught up in the moment
    and then....

    You forget about it after a couple a days..

    And that means that your goal wasn't so strong and you need
    to rewrite it until you get there.

    For me, I can say that it helps and others
    that I know.

    It all depends on how someone takes what
    He heard if he just listens or really do something about it.
  • Profile picture of the author pinkknight
    You are right, or maybe we didn't stumble upon some true motivational speaker. What's the catch? Most of them are entertainers. They just make you feel great. I think that the effects should last a little bit longer after a motivational speaker is done with his "act." I don't mean any disrespect, but I'm deeply skeptical about this approach just believe in yourself and the things you do and everything will be OK. I think that we have a trouble called the overproduction of these so-called motivational speakers. Nowadays, anyone can be or call himself a motivational speaker. Yet, I also believe that you can't fool people in the long run. You shouldn't attend some motivation presentation just for the sake of the show itself. I expect when I get home to change or start something new in my life. I'm not saying that I should be a motivational speaker, but I know quite a few people who are far away from being what they say and claim they are as motivational speakers.
  • Profile picture of the author sobbycv
    we are all totally different people

    so we think act and behave differently

    Look at all the religions in the world

    their teachings and holy books are all wonderful and so full of good things and they all have millions of followers and believers

    But is the world heavenly now ?

    Human beings have individuality and thats what makes the difference.
    • Profile picture of the author marktman571
      Originally Posted by sobbycv View Post

      we are all totally different people

      so we think act and behave differently

      Look at all the religions in the world

      their teachings and holy books are all wonderful and so full of good things and they all have millions of followers and believers

      But is the world heavenly now ?

      Human beings have individuality and thats what makes the difference.
      Individuality differs in every human being. Some people grasp an idea and stick with it for the rest of their lives because they love it and are passionate about it. If someone tells me that I have to achieve a certain sales target in a month and promises me an end reward then I'll give my best to attain that target. The reason here is that we only feel motivated when we find a certain end reward available. That's what motivational speaker are good at telling us because they easily mask the hardships when has to go through to achieve that goal.
  • Profile picture of the author John Jonas Phil VA
    Originally Posted by marktman571 View Post


    Inspiration is from within. It is not external. It's not characterized by euphoria. Instead, it is a constant nudge that can drive you all day without a lick of lactic acid.

    For example, nobody has to motivate Elon Musk, inspiration drives him.

    ...

    Stop being a slave to cocaine. Better be on rehab from today.

    Thanks
    I agree. You shouldn't depend on other people to push yourself to do better. You owe it to yourself to succeed. you have to be your own cheerleader. You can't depend on other people to motivate you because

    - they're not going to always be there
    - they don't know you as well as you know yourself
    - you're the only person who can define your own success.
    • Profile picture of the author marktman571
      Originally Posted by John Jonas Phil VA View Post

      I agree. You shouldn't depend on other people to push yourself to do better. You owe it to yourself to succeed. you have to be your own cheerleader. You can't depend on other people to motivate you because

      - they're not going to always be there
      - they don't know you as well as you know yourself
      - you're the only person who can define your own success.
      These three points perfectly sums up human behaviour in this competitive market. Some person motivating you won't care whether you achieve something or not. In the end he will get a certain amount of money for the talk and will be on his way. It is us who have to draw some boundaries and find out how we can mold our personalities where we don't need others to tells us that we are capable of achieving whatever we dream of.
  • Profile picture of the author Arturo092
    Originally Posted by Eden A View Post

    Now let say you hear a video of Tony Robbins on YouTube
    yeah, you get so pumped up and start to work and at some
    point your energy goes down.

    Well, now if you listen to a whole course (and not
    just his courses)
    they give you some "tasks to do"
    like writing your goals etc etc, yeah, you get right
    head and writing them so caught up in the moment
    and then....

    You forget about it after a couple a days..
    I totally agree with that. It is important to become motivated but just becoming motivated for a moment will not help with anything.

    However, if you do the tasks Tony Robbins and some of other "gurus" give you, it can really help to build your career and help with other aspects of your life.

    When I was in the end of my studies and was thinking about starting my own business, one of my friends told me I should start educating myself on finances and start reading books - and told me to begin from Napoleon Hill's "Think and Grow Rich" and any book of Anthony Robbins.

    I read "Think and Grow Rich" and "Awaken the Giant Within" of Anthony Robbins and my first thought was that it would not help me at all because what I needed at that time were concrete advices and information, not some motivational bullshit talk.

    But then he explained me that making money is more a psychological than technical problem.

    The various obstacles in completion of a goal are different from field to field - and they are always changing. Any information would be so highly context dependent that it could never be transmitted. That is why the best thing I could do was to communicate the psychology, which is an algorithm that can be applied whatever life circumstances and environment I happen to be.

    It is explained very well in one of Youtube channel's videos I am following recently (Kiss My Ass University)

    Originally Posted by John Jonas Phil VA View Post

    I agree. You shouldn't depend on other people to push yourself to do better. You owe it to yourself to succeed. you have to be your own cheerleader. You can't depend on other people to motivate you because

    - they're not going to always be there
    - they don't know you as well as you know yourself
    - you're the only person who can define your own success.
    Yes, I agree. In the end, whether you success or not, depends only on you. However, if you use their advices properly, they can help you to achieve your goals.

    I still like to listen to motivational speeches when I have no energy and feel sad because of my failures - however after than I am trying to get myself together and get back to my previous plans and routines.
  • Profile picture of the author Chris-
    Most motivational stuff works by installing a positive. What would be much more valuable would be removing the negatives, but, other than somewhat useful tools like EFT etc. that's a rather advanced subject.

    It IS possible for someone who works with groups, to have a profound long-term effect on the individuals in the group, but that is rare. An example would be someone who can create a suitable Morphic-field so if one of the participants in the group get the results of a spiritual process, than 95% of the rest of the group will rapidly get the same result too.

    But such things (real spiritual functionality) are rare, and most of it's just temporary feelings and emotions with little long-term change for most people.

    Chris
    Signature
    - Make money online in 3 hours, $0.00 investment, no experience required. (FREE report) -
  • Profile picture of the author winbig007
    Good job!

    You hit the nail on the head. In my book, The 7-Minute Millionaire; How to Think Yourself Rich, I talk about that exact topic.

    External motivation is OK, and listening to motivational speakers is fine. But the key is to be inspired. You mention Musk - a good analogy, for sure.

    But there's more to fully answer your unposed question.

    How does one become and remain inspired?

    This is the key to creating Perpetual Wealth!

    For me the drive has always been there, but I still want it focused on what I need to accomplish.

    The method I have used for years, and I do mean years, engrains and programs your subconscious mind to align with your conscious mind. I call them PPMs, personal programming messages.

    I use a process of breaking my goals into bite sized daily tasks. I then write those tasks as PPMs. I record them and listen to them twice a day. First thing in the morning and last thing at night.

    When you do this, you wake up everyday inspired and fully aligned to enthusiastically accomplish everything you want to accomplish in life.

    You are in fact, inspired!

    I know, some will be skeptical - but I've done this for years and created quite a financial fortress. Of course, it would take too much time to give all the details here; however...

    Everyone I know that has every put into practice this method sees big changes in their life - and sometimes they begin in only a few days

    So be inspired - and be inspired on purpose - Don't let external forces program your direction in life - Take charge with the programming you want in your head!
  • Profile picture of the author AL Hummel
    "Inspiration comes from within" I couldn't agree with you more. (and it doesn't have an entry fee to attend)
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by marktman571 View Post

    Inspiration is from within. It is not external. It's not characterized by euphoria. Instead, it is a constant nudge that can drive you all day without a lick of lactic acid.

    For example, nobody has to motivate Elon Musk, inspiration drives him.

    If you are someone looking up to Instagram for your daily dose of motivation, or someone who loves to hear an orator shouting 'you can do it!', chances are you are not doing something you love.

    Stop being a slave to cocaine. Better be on rehab from today.

    Thanks
    Yes, exactly the jockers elsewhere, love the high, and tell us all that we should do it.

    They don't seem to get that l won't p*** away 1k, to get motivated, and not get it back reasonably quickly.

    If l could spend 1k, and double that within a few months then l would seriously consider it.

    And most speakers, do just parrot out some verses from their book or books, which is usually so general that from a monetary standpoint is pretty useless.

    I shudder to think that some newbie might blow their last thousand on something like this, and walk away with nothing. Well, apart from becoming more determined, with less barriers, and the coal walking thing.

Trending Topics