Where are the real live mentors? Small Vent

by merx 22 replies
I keep running into people that just want me to buy their programs. I want real help not the line your pocket tripwire products.
#mind warriors #live #mentors #real #small #vent
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Hi, Merx, yep Mentors, followed a few, and most turned out to not deliver what they promised or wouldn't do what they promised to do at the start.

    Plenty of sales copy, but very little on the delivery.

    There are a few seasoned marketers here, including me, but l am mainly in the graphics area, so not sure if l can help you?

    And l certainly can't offer any of my trade secrets, although l can point you in the right direction, if asked.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11066847].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author blueonblue
      Yep bought a guys course. talked to him and yup I will help you no money. put your name on a project and we do together. Write sales letter and other things to help.

      Did not tell me he was doing 2 launches of his own. Too busy to continue. He doesnt get back to me. Promised to finish by Tuesday, 2nd time missed it. if I dont hear by the next 2 days will go it alone.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11066867].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SEOMasters
    No idea what you are looking for but might be able to help Just send me a PM about what kind of help you need and will take it from there. At no cost
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11066877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    ya ya ya

    see from what i have read from people or motivational authors ..who founf mentors that worked they had to work for those mentors jim roah will talk about his mentor who he worked for ..thwn Tony robin worked for jim roahn ..then bob procy\tor talks about working for earlnightangal . v


    so if you want real nwntors find who you will work for how is weaithy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11067032].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author merx
    Thanks for all of the replies.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11067045].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Stop! Stop fussing about the mentor. It's not uncommon for coaches or mentors to joint venture with a promising student. You say you don't have a plan or a site ....so how can you have the 'exact same field'.

    You feel 'betrayed' because you think "that could have been me". But could it? Were you learning fast enough to be a partner in a business? Had you learned enough to carry your weight? If you haven't build a site or made a plan yet - probably not.

    Yes, you are jealous and it's understandable for a few minutes. Time's up - get over it.

    Learn to build a site or blog - you don't need a mentor to do that. Learn to make a marketing plan and a plan of action - short term and long term - you can learn that online. Focus on your goal and your "field" and you'll be surprised what you can accomplish on your own.
    Signature

    Saving one dog may not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11067092].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author merx
      I do have a plan and I do know my business. That is all.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11067121].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
        Originally Posted by merx View Post

        I do have a plan and I do know my business. That's not my issue. When I got with her, she had that person already however the ideas I discussed with her changed their direction and became the basis for their venture. I'm not jealous nor did I want to venture and still don't. I am learning and rebuilding my site right now but I am frustrated with getting it done. Wrote my blogs today plus put up my blog page. I merely vented a frustration, nothing more. I am back on my plans and moving forward but I did need an outlet. That is all.
        Ok, but the ironic thing is all mentors that l have followed over the last 8 years, haven't given me a sure fire way to make money, (the PPC one tried, but it failed). Sure l got some nice videos, and audio, but a sure fire way, nope.

        I found a sure fire way through hard work, and hitting rock bottom. But would l mentor someone and share that, nope.

        I am at the ground floor and it may become less effective if it went viral, or one shared it with many.

        If someone gave me 300k, l would think about it, but probably decline the offer, since l can make more than that, and continue to make that without much effort.

        If someone handed me 3m, then l would consider it.

        So, yeah mentors aren't going to share million dollar secrets, not without the student coughing up serious money first.

        So unless you have deep pockets, going it alone, working hard, and suffering on occasion is a given.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11067130].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author NetMan
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11067137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Never work with anyone that doesn't know the niche because they're clueless...

    Would you hire a plumber to teach you how to land an airplane? No, nobody does that, well, nobody with any sense does that.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11067147].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      Never work with anyone that doesn't know the niche because they're clueless...

      Would you hire a plumber to teach you how to land an airplane? No, nobody does that, well, nobody with any sense does that.
      A bit like asking an insurance salesman, about global temperatures?

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11067191].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NetMan
      This is lame as a comparison imo, and "never work" means what. I guarantee I can bring traffic to any site even if the niche is from another planet loll .take care.
      Signature
      Taking care of your Marketing Technology is a token for online success.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11067193].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    you are over thinking the mentor thing .

    especially if the person you thought was mentoring you learned ideas from you that she implemented and made money from..at least your ideas are valid ..

    your problem may be that you have way to many good valid ideas ..and you are suffering from the paradox of choice ..you are not ready to hunker down and run with one idea because you feel like it might be the wrong one ..

    the mentor relationship that got me doing what i am now lasted about a week..and if you don't need your hand held and just need someone to point you in a direction.. it could only be an hour or two ...

    and yes expect that a real mentor will get more value from the help they give you than you may up front
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11067272].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi Merx,

    Good to rant it out because doing so clears the lower energies that you clung to, that block the really helpful mentors from flowing your way

    Also, you will find by feeling and venting your anger makes you happier, healthier and wealthier. When you feel this way, you vibe higher, which puts you on the radar of folks who you will gladly pay $4 for an eBook, or $15, or $350 for a course or $350 for coaching.

    I note these numbers because these are some of my product/services rates. In the past few days I recommended my eBooks to individuals - priced $4 to $15 - and they bought the eBooks immediately. One dude is raring to sign up for my $350 coaching service. Why? Because they are on my same wavelength. I mentored them, they resonated, so the money flows freely and easily, between us, whatever the amount.

    If they resisted spending money it'd be their lack of clarity, or fear, and in truth, any angry folks who I met in the past, who felt disillusioned with mentors, simply had to clear some fear to move up on the energetic ladder, to align with awesome mentors, who they gladly paid.

    As for the $300 or $2000 price tag, many of these products do rock but when you are upset, you can't see the value in the courses. Also, I know during my leaner/struggling years, I highly resented/hated LOL that slick copy....mainly because I was a jealous SOB who envied the success of folks who made a lot of money and helped a lot of people.

    I had to own my jealously - aka, belief in lack and limitation aka fear - before I could step it up and have greater success online. That's just my experience though.

    Hey, if you need help, message me. Follow my blog. Don't resist buying my eBooks or courses. They can really really really help you live your dreams because they are chock full of practical tips, that have helped a bunch of folks live their dreams. I specialize mainly in blogging but also help IMers in different areas. Especially the mindset stuff. Which is huge.

    As for the money thing, just, in your more calm moments, own the money blocks you have. It's just money. Really. Pay up front. Pay immediately, Pay to play. Because the more you resist spending money, the more problems you will have in life because money is really shy around stingy-ness and damn does money love hunting a person who spends it freely. Energy thing

    Happy Mentor Hunting And do keep yer head up. We're here to help and serve. Whether for free, or for something trivial called "money".

    Ryan
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad
    Retire to a Life of Island Hopping through Smart Blogging at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11070647].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by ryanbiddulph View Post

      Hi Merx,

      Good to rant it out because doing so clears the lower energies that you clung to, that block the really helpful mentors from flowing your way

      Also, you will find by feeling and venting your anger makes you happier, healthier and wealthier. When you feel this way, you vibe higher, which puts you on the radar of folks who you will gladly pay $4 for an eBook, or $15, or $350 for a course or $350 for coaching.

      I note these numbers because these are some of my product/services rates. In the past few days I recommended my eBooks to individuals - priced $4 to $15 - and they bought the eBooks immediately. One dude is raring to sign up for my $350 coaching service. Why? Because they are on my same wavelength. I mentored them, they resonated, so the money flows freely and easily, between us, whatever the amount.

      If they resisted spending money it'd be their lack of clarity, or fear, and in truth, any angry folks who I met in the past, who felt disillusioned with mentors, simply had to clear some fear to move up on the energetic ladder, to align with awesome mentors, who they gladly paid.

      As for the $300 or $2000 price tag, many of these products do rock but when you are upset, you can't see the value in the courses. Also, I know during my leaner/struggling years, I highly resented/hated LOL that slick copy....mainly because I was a jealous SOB who envied the success of folks who made a lot of money and helped a lot of people.

      I had to own my jealously - aka, belief in lack and limitation aka fear - before I could step it up and have greater success online. That's just my experience though.

      Hey, if you need help, message me. Follow my blog. Don't resist buying my eBooks or courses. They can really really really help you live your dreams because they are chock full of practical tips, that have helped a bunch of folks live their dreams. I specialize mainly in blogging but also help IMers in different areas. Especially the mindset stuff. Which is huge.

      As for the money thing, just, in your more calm moments, own the money blocks you have. It's just money. Really. Pay up front. Pay immediately, Pay to play. Because the more you resist spending money, the more problems you will have in life because money is really shy around stingy-ness and damn does money love hunting a person who spends it freely. Energy thing

      Happy Mentor Hunting And do keep yer head up. We're here to help and serve. Whether for free, or for something trivial called "money".

      Ryan
      No, doubt you could teach him how to sell a dream?

      $2000 courses, lol, l considered Frank Kerns List Building Course, for $1,800 a while ago, only because he squawked on about section three videos, giving you "my best secrets to wealth" or something like that.

      I got access to this product later on, and it didn't. A lot of good material to beef up your list, but nothing on how make one.

      Unless you considered the case study of a women who bought his stuff and rang him to death to get him to help her sell her product..

      In other words, no guaranteed way to make wealth, and almost 2k down the drain.

      "Lack of Clarity or fear", lol, maybe or there might be another reason?

      I know that if someone having a party doesn't buy my s**t, then God is punishing them, or they will abducted by aliens.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11070977].message }}
  • Hi,

    The real marketers can usually be found in the following places. Most require some degree of travel or expense:
    - TEDx talks (or TED talks, but it is a lot harder to get to them).
    - Affiliate marketing networking events and workshops (most are in West USA)
    - Marketing retreats and mastermind groups (most are kept in SEA - South East Asia, especially Thailand).
    - Social media seminars and presentations (there was a really good one in Singapore not so long ago).
    - Meet-up groups in your area (check the website, there are groups based on interests, not so much on biz op as on entrepreneurship or specific skills).
    - Self improvement seminars (at a high ticket event like Tony Robbin's Date with Destiny you can find many high achievers in online marketing).
    - Country clubs - most of the people there tend to be in the conventional business realm but there are IMers. If nothing else, you mingle with very rich professionals and entrepreneurs.
    - Airport lounges. You'd be surprised how many amazing, six and seven figure / year people I've met while smoking or in the business / first class lounge of an airport. And since most have nothing to do or don't want to work, they can chat.

    And of course, socially, circumstantially.

    I hope this helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11080573].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Originally Posted by 21stCenturyCopywriting View Post

      TEDx talks (or TED talks, but it is a lot harder to get to them).


      Most (not all) TEDx are junk. They let anyone that shows up on those stages.

      Go to the TEDx Youtube channel, most of that is mind numbing junk and low view counts.
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11080587].message }}
      • Highly irrelevant.

        While TEDx audiences attract many types of people, it is common to find accomplished professionals and entrepreneurs in the audience.

        Plus, comparing what you find online vs what is in that room is not the same thing. If I were to do this, every field, every market, every industry is awful just because of the people who comment and interact on YouTube.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11080647].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        Most (not all) TEDx are junk. They let anyone that shows up on those stages.

        Go to the TEDx Youtube channel, most of that is mind numbing junk and low view counts.
        Yes, someone else mentioned that they were amazing, so l watched one.

        After about 17 minutes of someone crapping on about a skateboarding, and how being in a group helps to motivate you, he finally said something worthwhile.

        Or 20 minutes of crap to say, "make something do something different and you may make money from it".

        I would say that it was amazing. Amazing that l watched it, and that others thought it was great.

        Better than $1000 meetings, where someone craps on forever and says very little, but at least you rock the place down, most of the night, or some such, useless BS.

        TED talks are for newbies grasping for anything!

        Or hoping for a shortcut. I have a shortcut, but it took 9 years of struggle and hard work to find it.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11080740].message }}
        • And I'm amazed at how everyone misses the point.

          I have NOT said that you should go to YouTube and watch a TED talk. I have said that DURING THESE LIVE TED TALKS, high achievers tend to gather and network, which makes it easy or easier to find a mentor / a role model or to simply network effectively.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11081115].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TMJsall
    I wanted to learn sales. Went to craigslist and started calling people hiring for sales and explained I had no experience and wanted to learn. I'm now working with a roofing sales mentor and real estate investing mentor (had another business he was hiring for). Neither asked for money. Soon I'll be structuring deals for the RE investor and I go door-to-door each night with a contractor selling roofs learning sales. Both are very successful and good at what they do. Put yourself out there in real life. It worked for me!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11082984].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cynthiaSEL
    Originally Posted by merx View Post

    I keep running into people that just want me to buy their programs. I want real help not the line your pocket tripwire products.
    One solution is to stop reading anything online for a bit. Invest a bit of your time into figuring out what your skills are, what interests you, and thinking about how you might use those to help people. Then follow up from there with figuring out what kind of help you need for the next step.
    Signature

    By the way, if you're struggling with your online business and you just need a pick me up click here: http://www.persistentgrowth.com/wf

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11084702].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rbarnhart1
    I'm late to the conversation and there's been some good comments so far. What I'm not seeing here is, what exactly are you looking for in a mentor? Do you need help building your business? Marketing help? Mindset and personal development and lifestyle help?

    Also -- when you say "real help" -- I'm not sure what mentor is going to offer "real help" for free. I agree there is a lot of junk out there (even from the big names in marketing sometimes). But, you've got to invest in yourself or, like others have said, find a mentor that you can work for and learn from them while you work.

    What most people don't understand is that business owners don't just have a marketing problem or a business problem or a mindset problem. You have to put something together that connects all of those things.

    Most coaches are not marketers (not in the sense of the Internet Marketer selling info products), so you can usually get good results there - but the good ones aren't cheap. But, the goods ones focus on a holistic approach and will help you in all aspects of your business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11095829].message }}

Trending Topics