SLEEP! 1 hour vs NONE?

by iRunThis 32 replies
To sleep, or not to sleep... That is the question.

Last night I was faced with a problem. I couldn't sleep. I simply wasn't tired. I had to wake up at 6:30am today, I found myself still awake at 5:00am. I was just wondering what your take is on this, at 5 I decided that it would be best to stop trying to sleep and just pull an all nighter. If I would have slept for only 1 hour, I would have a hard time waking back up and I would be very moody and tired after that hour. Instead, I went upstairs, made two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and started my day.

What are you guys take on this? If you have something to do early in the morning the next day, and you find yourself still awake an hour before you are supposed to wake up, would you take the hour of sleep? Or pull through the night and crash when you get home the next day?

P.s. I chose to stay up. In 4 hours will make it 24 hours that I've been awake. I still have roughly 5 or 6 hours left before I get home. It's all going good so far though.

-Jay
#mind warriors #hour #sleep
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author AnimeMom
    I wish I had your energy! I've had nights where the brain doesn't want to shut down, and I can't go to sleep. But if I go without sleep, there is a big payback sooner or later and I crash.
    • Profile picture of the author iRunThis
      Originally Posted by AnimeMom View Post

      I wish I had your energy! I've had nights where the brain doesn't want to shut down, and I can't go to sleep. But if I go without sleep, there is a big payback sooner or later and I crash.
      Yeah, I do feel like I'm going to crash soon, but I think it will be after I get home. If I would have went back to sleep for that extra hour, It would have been very hard to wake up, and when I did wake up, I would feel terrible.

      -Jay
      Signature
      "Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t, and knowing you're sh*t." -A Wise Man
  • Profile picture of the author fictionaldamo
    Sleep, even an hour would do!
    Signature

    NFL Pick'em, It's No Fantasy
    www.pointpickers.com

    • Profile picture of the author iRunThis
      Originally Posted by fictionaldamo View Post

      Sleep, even an hour would do!
      You don't end up feeling MORE tired when you only get a little sleep?
      Signature
      "Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t, and knowing you're sh*t." -A Wise Man
  • Profile picture of the author Robert Michael
    Get some rest man, this will all be here when you wake up.
  • Profile picture of the author alam69
    u will be dead meat man if you don;t have enough energy
  • Profile picture of the author ProScribe
    I would say that getting an hours sleep would be best. I'm not a sleep expert but this would suggest that you will move into REM sleep faster so it would still be worthwhile.

    "Studies have shown that people sleep more efficiently when they are sleep-deprived and that they enter REM sleep faster when this is the case. Sleep studies also show that patients who sleep less move to stage 3 and REM sleep faster than patients who are not sleep deprived"
    Signature
    Need an eBook for Lead Generation or Kindle? TOP EBOOK WRITER | Custom Cover | Professionally Proofed | From $80+ ono [100+ Sold] ->> CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
  • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
    Originally Posted by iRunThis View Post

    To sleep, or not to sleep... That is the question.

    Last night I was faced with a problem. I couldn't sleep. I simply wasn't tired. I had to wake up at 6:30am today, I found myself still awake at 5:00am. I was just wondering what your take is on this, at 5 I decided that it would be best to stop trying to sleep and just pull an all nighter. If I would have slept for only 1 hour, I would have a hard time waking back up and I would be very moody and tired after that hour. Instead, I went upstairs, made two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and started my day.

    What are you guys take on this? If you have something to do early in the morning the next day, and you find yourself still awake an hour before you are supposed to wake up, would you take the hour of sleep? Or pull through the night and crash when you get home the next day?

    P.s. I chose to stay up. In 4 hours will make it 24 hours that I've been awake. I still have roughly 5 or 6 hours left before I get home. It's all going good so far though.

    -Jay
    Hm, interesting Jay. Every person is different. Sleep is necessary ingredient to recharge your energy levels. I think Neil Strauss shared that he tried not to sleep for couple of weeks with just 15-20 min. nap every I do not remember how many hours, but it did not work for him. :-)

    No matter how much you can endure right now, the body will naturally take control over you and will try to get some sleep :-) I know, it sounds crazy, but if you are hungry, your body gets control over the brain and do all sorts of crazy stuff. I do not recommend you give it a shot :-)
    Signature

    Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

  • Profile picture of the author iRunThis
    Goodnight Warriors! I'm throwing in the towel after 30+ hours of no sleep.
    Signature
    "Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t, and knowing you're sh*t." -A Wise Man
  • Profile picture of the author danlew
    Wow! Never slept for about 30 hours? Now that's some kind of energy you have which I can't. But I can try it one time, whenever I'm ready. It's good that if we are doing something for our future, we just spent most of our time on this than sleeping and other useless things.
  • Profile picture of the author thereikid
    Sleep is overrated if you are always feeling good you won't feel tired ever. Even though sleep is great and I suggest you get some!
  • Profile picture of the author ElliotBerg
    I think sleep is must and even if running out of time you can always get sleep in the form of small naps...I remember once I had gone for a national Chess tournament and we kept on practicing for hours together and it was only after approx. 36 hrs of practice we decided to sleep ( All the players who practiced for so long including were eventually dozing during the tournament). Body can sustain such things but body reacts sharply if you are imposing things suddenly which is beyond its capacity at the moment. However, if you gradually start depriving yourself from sleeping then there is a possibility that you will end sleeping fairly less though I suggest you not to try that.
    Signature
    The gratification of wealth is not found
    in mere possession or in lavish expenditure
    but in its wise application
    Miguel de Cervantes
    • Profile picture of the author iRunThis
      Originally Posted by honestbizpro View Post

      Are you on the E?


      Energy drinks? Come on now do not skip the good parts...what has you awake like that?

      You chewing on Coca leaves again?
      Hahahaha! Yeah, you guessed it. Energy drinks and lots of carbs.

      When I decided not to sleep, I got up and I ate two PB&J's, went to the store bought 3 monster energy drinks (the only one that tastes good IMO). To my surprise, I only needed to drink one of them. I felt a crash from the monster about 4 hours after I drank it, I started dozing off but I had to keep holding my head up. I eventually got up and went to the bathroom and washed my face (The class that I was in was really boring, it was a lecture, so I'm not sure if this was actually a crash, or just a boring class).

      After the class was over, I noticed that it was starting to hit me mid day, at the worst time, during classes. So I bought 2 bags of skittles, and a small bag of Sour Cream & Onion chips to balance out the sugar/salt and give me another little "kick", it did.

      My next class I was still a little tired, but I made it through without dozing off, this is when the candy and chips kicked in. My last class is a physical education class (It's based around weight lifting) so I thought I was going to end up killing myself, falling asleep in the middle of a bench press or something. :rolleyes: Luckily for me, the teacher said that we weren't lifting for the day. I sat through that class and listened to him ramble, and I finally made it through my dad, or so I had thought.

      I catch the bus to and from campus, so it adds on about an extra hour to my day (There and back, so 2 in total). By the time I got home, it was around 4. I planned on sleeping when I got there, but that's not how everything worked out. My girlfriend called me and asked me out to a basketball game... Perfect timing, right? Joking. lol

      There were two games, from 5:15 - 6:45 and 7:00 - 8:30. I figured that this would be a good time to pull out those other two energy drinks. I drank one before I left, the other during the game. I was actually very energetic throughout the day, even with no sleep, especially at the game!

      Is this healthy? Not at all.
      Productive? In my opinion, yes.

      BUT, if you do it too much you WILL die at a very young age. Keep in mind that I'm 18 guys, so the chances of me having more natural energy (without the drinks) than a lot of you is quite high. Also, I've realized the health risks of no sleep + 3 energy drinks within 15 hours. The most serious ones that I've read about were heart attacks, vomiting, and a chance of death (very small % chance). I do not plan on doing this often, this was mostly a one time thing but I'm pretty sure there will be another night sometime in my life where I can't sleep and I have to wake up very early, so I can't promise that it will never happen again.

      Would I suggest this to others? ONLY, if you find yourself in my situation. This is a surefire way to make it through the day. If you're able to sleep, then don't do it. If you don't have something very important the next day (i.e. school, work, etc.) don't do it.

      Also, I second what tylerdrun has said about if you really "need" sleep, your body WILL get it. Because around 10:30, right before I said Goodnight to you all, a few posts up, I dozed off without even realizing it, in the middle of doing something. This is when I decided that it was my time to sleep. The minute I x'd out of the Warrior Forum, I was sleep within 60 seconds, I kid you not.

      Originally Posted by peerless2acme View Post

      I think sleep is must and even if running out of time you can always get sleep in the form of small naps...I remember once I had gone for a national Chess tournament and we kept on practicing for hours together and it was only after approx. 36 hrs of practice we decided to sleep ( All the players who practiced for so long including were eventually dozing during the tournament). Body can sustain such things but body reacts sharply if you are imposing things suddenly which is beyond its capacity at the moment. However, if you gradually start depriving yourself from sleeping then there is a possibility that you will end sleeping fairly less though I suggest you not to try that.
      That's surprising, because something like "Chess" or anything that requires more than just normal, everyday thinking seems like less sleep would actually hurt you a lot. I can't imagine having to play chess in the condition I was in last night. You have to pay attention to your opponents move, visualize your own moves, think the whole process through, sudden planning, sudden strategizing, and then above all other, you have to be able to think ahead of your opponent! I can't imagine how you guys felt playing chess with no sleep. How did you guys do? Lol
      Signature
      "Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t, and knowing you're sh*t." -A Wise Man

Trending Topics