We Must First Give, Then We Can Receive

Profile picture of the author Woody C by Woody C Posted: 02/25/2009
Although I am not Christian, I do practice tithing. And you should, too. I believe it helps ease the attachment to money, and helps to give me an abundance mindset.

We all forget that money is used to give us the life we want. We don't necessarily want the money itself, but what it brings to us. Freedom from worries and more time to do what we love to do.

The Second Noble Truth of Buddhism states that the origin of suffering is the attachment to the various kinds of desire.

This is what tithing helps us escape, in a sense. By truly giving 10% of every cent we make, we get over the fear and attachment that there is not enough money to go around.

Edwene Gaines believes that you should tithe to anyone/anything that gives you spiritual food. It doens't have to be 10% to one area, but over all it must add up to 10%. After all, that is what tithe means, right?

Remember, the more tightly you hold on to something (love is the most used example), the more it wants to get away. The same is true of money. Don't hold on to it so tightly, and it will want to stay around.

Now, 10% is just a start. It is necessary. Did you know that the top 2% of the richest people in the world give more than the other 98% combined? This is not because they have the money to give, but rather they are rich because they gave when they still had nothing to give.

Like Earl Nightingale said in "The Strangest Secret," many people have the mindset of the person sitting beside the wood heater saying "First, give me heat then I will put in some wood to burn," when the only true way to prosper is to put the wood in first and then let the heater give you the needed warmth.

So start giving 10% of your earnings away, and watch your life accelerated in new directions you never thought possible. It's scary isn't it? Do it anyways. That is what faith is, right?

As Emerson said, "You cannot outgive God."
#buddhism #earl nightingale #give #receive #tithing

  • Profile picture of the author Sid Kaplan
    Sid Kaplan
    If you help others get what they want you will inevitably get what you want. Seems to be a universal law and if you think about you successes you will likely be able to trace the path to what you helped others with.
  • Profile picture of the author jayden.fellze
    jayden.fellze
    By giving to others you don't expect for any return, let the law of nature do that for you. Since, people expect that if they will give more then they will receive more. The expectation is too much, there should always be a heart for true giving.
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Jonathan 2.0
    Originally Posted by jayden.fellze View Post
    By giving to others you don't expect for any return, let the law of nature do that for you. Since, people expect that if they will give more then they will receive more. The expectation is too much, there should always be a heart for true giving.
    Yeah I completely agree with you Jayden. Give because of the joy of giving and improving people's lives and making them happy—not because you want (or are expecting) something in return. Because by all definitions that wouldn't be considered a gift.
  • Profile picture of the author Woody C
    Woody C
    Originally Posted by jayden.fellze View Post
    By giving to others you don't expect for any return, let the law of nature do that for you. Since, people expect that if they will give more then they will receive more. The expectation is too much, there should always be a heart for true giving.
    I totally agree. And by giving money, and expecting money in return, we sometimes totally miss what was truly given to us in other ways.

    I don't believe tithing is so much about giving and expecting something in return, but rather giving with a pure heart, knowing that you don't really need that money.

    Much like love, the more you give away, the more you get in return so you can give away. It isn't about giving so you can get more, but rather giving so you can give more.
  • Profile picture of the author Napa
    Napa
    It's great to give if one can, tithing (how it is preached as "Biblical") is pretty sad thing that some churches are practicing.
  • Profile picture of the author maggytyger
    maggytyger
    personally as a Christian I feel that in order to reap you must first sow a sead. You must continue to obey God in your giving, even when your resources are wearing thin. Why? You reap what you sow (Galatians 6:7—9). When you sow as God directs, you position yourself to reap increase.
  • Profile picture of the author Vincelog
    Vincelog
    Originally Posted by maverickwec View Post
    Although I am not Christian, I do practice tithing. And you should, too. I believe it helps ease the attachment to money, and helps to give me an abundance mindset.

    We all forget that money is used to give us the life we want. We don't necessarily want the money itself, but what it brings to us. Freedom from worries and more time to do what we love to do.

    The Second Noble Truth of Buddhism states that the origin of suffering is the attachment to the various kinds of desire.

    This is what tithing helps us escape, in a sense. By truly giving 10% of every cent we make, we get over the fear and attachment that there is not enough money to go around.

    Edwene Gaines believes that you should tithe to anyone/anything that gives you spiritual food. It doens't have to be 10% to one area, but over all it must add up to 10%. After all, that is what tithe means, right?

    Remember, the more tightly you hold on to something (love is the most used example), the more it wants to get away. The same is true of money. Don't hold on to it so tightly, and it will want to stay around.

    Now, 10% is just a start. It is necessary. Did you know that the top 2% of the richest people in the world give more than the other 98% combined? This is not because they have the money to give, but rather they are rich because they gave when they still had nothing to give.

    Like Earl Nightingale said in "The Strangest Secret," many people have the mindset of the person sitting beside the wood heater saying "First, give me heat then I will put in some wood to burn," when the only true way to prosper is to put the wood in first and then let the heater give you the needed warmth.

    So start giving 10% of your earnings away, and watch your life accelerated in new directions you never thought possible. It's scary isn't it? Do it anyways. That is what faith is, right?

    As Emerson said, "You cannot outgive God."
    Hi maverickwec,

    Giving is always important. What ever we want more, we need to give it out first in order to receive. For example if we want more links to our website, the first thing is to give out links first. By doing this, inevitably we will receive more links compared to us being stingy with links. I believe most of the thigns in life work this way and we should practice to give first then receive.

    Cheers
    Vincent
    Personal Development Blogger
  • Profile picture of the author Anthony Leonard
    Anthony Leonard
    Giving is GREAT!!!

    Receiving is GREAT!!!

    They both must be present for the Miracle of Kindness to take place...

    Just my thoughts...

    Anthony Leonard
  • Profile picture of the author cyowell
    cyowell
    We are all taught this concept and it seems to be demonstrated in nature.

    But what if we took this concept one step further...

    Instead of giving first, why don't we give up? Meaning to ALLOW.

    Have you ever been in a situation when you give,give,and give, and someone or something takes, takes, and takes?

    You can plant a seed in the ground and nothing happens. Didn't you give something? Were you not to expect a plant would sprout?

    Allowing makes us open to give and receive more. Maybe this is just a matter of semantics.

    I am not saying I am against the traditional presentation of giving first or that it does not work. All I am suggesting is to take the concept one step further and consider all is not what it appears to be or what you have been told it is.

    Down the rabbit hole we go!

    Cara
  • Profile picture of the author DiamondPed
    DiamondPed
    Maverick,

    Whilst I disagree slightly with your title statement "first give, then recieve" (paraphrased) I agree wholeheartedly with your statements in your second posting on this thread ~ about giving with a pure heart & not giving to get back (again paraphrased ~ sorry).

    I too tithe, as stated before for personal reasons, but I do this because I am very grateful for all the blessings that I get in life.

    Some seem like "challenges" at the time, but reveal themselves later as blessings.

    I usually steer clear from discussing this, & using these words, as some people have in the past misinterpreted my meanings. This is my personal decision after many years of researching & if other people agree or disagree so be it.

    Discussions like this will hopefully lead other people to look into a general Prosperity Consciousness & an Attitude of Gratitude.


    Thanks for starting this thread.
  • Profile picture of the author RhondaM
    RhondaM
    Giving and Expecting in return is a mistake many people make.

    In reality, giving and expecting to receive in return is not really about giving - it is more of a "loan" where you give a certain amount and expect it back with interest.

    This is one reason why many relationships fail. One person says they give and give and give and don't get anything in return. If that is the case, then to be honest, they did not give with an open heart to begin with, so deserve to be disappointed. Give without expectation and then when something is received, it will be a great surprise and mean a lot more to you. Give and expect, and you will either immediately or eventually be greeted with disappointment and even if the other person does give back, it is out of obligation rather than from their heart.
  • Profile picture of the author datfire
    datfire
    I guess there are at least two ways of looking at the giving/receiving equation. I do agree that we should give without the expectation of receiving back...from people. However, the law of reaping and sowing is very real. A farmer sows a seed into the ground with an expectation of receiving a harvest from that seed. As Christians, our purpose in tithing should not be to receive back from God, like playing the lottery, but I see nothing wrong with expecting a harvest from God on the seed that you sow. His Word says to give and it will be given unto you. It is one of His divine laws. The way God chooses to give back to us is left to His discretion and wisdom. It may not always be money for money. He is able to bless us in incomparable ways. As was quoted above..."You cannot outgive God."
  • Profile picture of the author alshir827
    alshir827
    Its like law of displacement. Sort of like a karma.
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Lee
    Michael Lee
    I recommend reading "The Greatest Money-Making Secret In History." It talks a lot about giving and receiving.

    Greatest Moneymaking Secret
  • Profile picture of the author WebFlip
    WebFlip
    I'm a big practicer of the Pareto Principle and it helps keep me recharged and thinking clear. By applying the 80/20 rules to almost every facet of life I find myself with much more time and focused when it's time to work.

    I also apply this to money and finances and regularly volunteer 20% of my working time to volunteering with a near by center and donating 20% to a solid charity a friend of mine started.

    Best,
  • Profile picture of the author adrianasalmon
    adrianasalmon
    Wow! Great concept. When we give we are telling our subconscious mind that we have more than enough.
  • Profile picture of the author vencedor08
    vencedor08
    I am agree with you brother. I am a christian and I pay my tithes and go to church very often. In fact I am a pastor...lol. But one thing I can tell you...God does not want your money, He wants your heart. If He can get people's hearts then He will get the rest of them...love...respect....Most of all love.

    I do not ask for tithes in my congregation...I just show them the love of God and once they see such a love for them then it becomes easy for them to give money to the church.
  • Profile picture of the author ileneg
    ileneg
    Originally Posted by Anthony Leonard View Post
    Giving is GREAT!!!

    Receiving is GREAT!!!

    They both must be present for the Miracle of Kindness to take place...

    Just my thoughts...

    Anthony Leonard
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

    It is simply not possible to have one without the other.

    Be a good giver & a good receiver...and then, it's all good.

    ileneg
  • Profile picture of the author undergroundguru
    undergroundguru
    Couldn't have said it better, Maverick!

    I live by this, and it has made me far happier than I've ever been in my life.

    Great post!

    I'm starting to love this place
  • Profile picture of the author Woody C
    Woody C
    Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post
    I recommend reading "The Greatest Money-Making Secret In History." It talks a lot about giving and receiving.

    Greatest Moneymaking Secret

    I just got finished reading this and I believe that EVERYONE should at least check out the first chapter if nothing else. Thank you.

Related discussions