We Must First Give, Then We Can Receive

by 28 comments
Although I am not Christian, I do practice tithing. And you should, too. I believe it helps ease the attachment to money, and helps to give me an abundance mindset.

We all forget that money is used to give us the life we want. We don't necessarily want the money itself, but what it brings to us. Freedom from worries and more time to do what we love to do.

The Second Noble Truth of Buddhism states that the origin of suffering is the attachment to the various kinds of desire.

This is what tithing helps us escape, in a sense. By truly giving 10% of every cent we make, we get over the fear and attachment that there is not enough money to go around.

Edwene Gaines believes that you should tithe to anyone/anything that gives you spiritual food. It doens't have to be 10% to one area, but over all it must add up to 10%. After all, that is what tithe means, right?

Remember, the more tightly you hold on to something (love is the most used example), the more it wants to get away. The same is true of money. Don't hold on to it so tightly, and it will want to stay around.

Now, 10% is just a start. It is necessary. Did you know that the top 2% of the richest people in the world give more than the other 98% combined? This is not because they have the money to give, but rather they are rich because they gave when they still had nothing to give.

Like Earl Nightingale said in "The Strangest Secret," many people have the mindset of the person sitting beside the wood heater saying "First, give me heat then I will put in some wood to burn," when the only true way to prosper is to put the wood in first and then let the heater give you the needed warmth.

So start giving 10% of your earnings away, and watch your life accelerated in new directions you never thought possible. It's scary isn't it? Do it anyways. That is what faith is, right?

As Emerson said, "You cannot outgive God."
#mind warriors #buddhism #earl nightingale #give #receive #tithing
  • Profile picture of the author Sid Kaplan
    If you help others get what they want you will inevitably get what you want. Seems to be a universal law and if you think about you successes you will likely be able to trace the path to what you helped others with.
  • Profile picture of the author jayden.fellze
    By giving to others you don't expect for any return, let the law of nature do that for you. Since, people expect that if they will give more then they will receive more. The expectation is too much, there should always be a heart for true giving.
  • Profile picture of the author Napa
    It's great to give if one can, tithing (how it is preached as "Biblical") is pretty sad thing that some churches are practicing.
  • Profile picture of the author maggytyger
    personally as a Christian I feel that in order to reap you must first sow a sead. You must continue to obey God in your giving, even when your resources are wearing thin. Why? You reap what you sow (Galatians 6:7—9). When you sow as God directs, you position yourself to reap increase.
  • Profile picture of the author Vincelog
    Originally Posted by maverickwec View Post

    Although I am not Christian, I do practice tithing. And you should, too. I believe it helps ease the attachment to money, and helps to give me an abundance mindset.

    We all forget that money is used to give us the life we want. We don't necessarily want the money itself, but what it brings to us. Freedom from worries and more time to do what we love to do.

    The Second Noble Truth of Buddhism states that the origin of suffering is the attachment to the various kinds of desire.

    This is what tithing helps us escape, in a sense. By truly giving 10% of every cent we make, we get over the fear and attachment that there is not enough money to go around.

    Edwene Gaines believes that you should tithe to anyone/anything that gives you spiritual food. It doens't have to be 10% to one area, but over all it must add up to 10%. After all, that is what tithe means, right?

    Remember, the more tightly you hold on to something (love is the most used example), the more it wants to get away. The same is true of money. Don't hold on to it so tightly, and it will want to stay around.

    Now, 10% is just a start. It is necessary. Did you know that the top 2% of the richest people in the world give more than the other 98% combined? This is not because they have the money to give, but rather they are rich because they gave when they still had nothing to give.

    Like Earl Nightingale said in "The Strangest Secret," many people have the mindset of the person sitting beside the wood heater saying "First, give me heat then I will put in some wood to burn," when the only true way to prosper is to put the wood in first and then let the heater give you the needed warmth.

    So start giving 10% of your earnings away, and watch your life accelerated in new directions you never thought possible. It's scary isn't it? Do it anyways. That is what faith is, right?

    As Emerson said, "You cannot outgive God."
    Hi maverickwec,

    Giving is always important. What ever we want more, we need to give it out first in order to receive. For example if we want more links to our website, the first thing is to give out links first. By doing this, inevitably we will receive more links compared to us being stingy with links. I believe most of the thigns in life work this way and we should practice to give first then receive.

    Cheers
    Vincent
    Personal Development Blogger
  • Profile picture of the author Anthony Leonard
    Giving is GREAT!!!

    Receiving is GREAT!!!

    They both must be present for the Miracle of Kindness to take place...

    Just my thoughts...

    Anthony Leonard
  • Profile picture of the author almosteasy
    Banned
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author RhondaM
    Giving and Expecting in return is a mistake many people make.

    In reality, giving and expecting to receive in return is not really about giving - it is more of a "loan" where you give a certain amount and expect it back with interest.

    This is one reason why many relationships fail. One person says they give and give and give and don't get anything in return. If that is the case, then to be honest, they did not give with an open heart to begin with, so deserve to be disappointed. Give without expectation and then when something is received, it will be a great surprise and mean a lot more to you. Give and expect, and you will either immediately or eventually be greeted with disappointment and even if the other person does give back, it is out of obligation rather than from their heart.
  • Profile picture of the author datfire
    I guess there are at least two ways of looking at the giving/receiving equation. I do agree that we should give without the expectation of receiving back...from people. However, the law of reaping and sowing is very real. A farmer sows a seed into the ground with an expectation of receiving a harvest from that seed. As Christians, our purpose in tithing should not be to receive back from God, like playing the lottery, but I see nothing wrong with expecting a harvest from God on the seed that you sow. His Word says to give and it will be given unto you. It is one of His divine laws. The way God chooses to give back to us is left to His discretion and wisdom. It may not always be money for money. He is able to bless us in incomparable ways. As was quoted above..."You cannot outgive God."
  • Profile picture of the author msjoyce
    Banned
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author alshir827
    Its like law of displacement. Sort of like a karma.
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Lee
    I recommend reading "The Greatest Money-Making Secret In History." It talks a lot about giving and receiving.

    Greatest Moneymaking Secret
  • Profile picture of the author WebFlip
    I'm a big practicer of the Pareto Principle and it helps keep me recharged and thinking clear. By applying the 80/20 rules to almost every facet of life I find myself with much more time and focused when it's time to work.

    I also apply this to money and finances and regularly volunteer 20% of my working time to volunteering with a near by center and donating 20% to a solid charity a friend of mine started.

    Best,
  • Profile picture of the author adrianasalmon
    Wow! Great concept. When we give we are telling our subconscious mind that we have more than enough.
  • Profile picture of the author Max_Power
    Banned
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author vencedor08
    I am agree with you brother. I am a christian and I pay my tithes and go to church very often. In fact I am a pastor...lol. But one thing I can tell you...God does not want your money, He wants your heart. If He can get people's hearts then He will get the rest of them...love...respect....Most of all love.

    I do not ask for tithes in my congregation...I just show them the love of God and once they see such a love for them then it becomes easy for them to give money to the church.
  • Profile picture of the author Schockergd
    Banned
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author sammy m
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author undergroundguru
    Couldn't have said it better, Maverick!

    I live by this, and it has made me far happier than I've ever been in my life.

    Great post!

    I'm starting to love this place
  • Profile picture of the author steve williams
    Banned
    [DELETED]

Next Topics on Trending Feed