10 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy

by 64 comments
Sometimes giving up and letting things go can make us the happiest.
Turning over the pages of time you are quite likely inviting depression,
stress and excuses, all leading you to an unhappy and unfulfilled life.
So, let us see what are those ‘give ups’ that can make us happy and content.

1. Give Up your self-directed negative thoughts


2. Give up your mean habit of criticizing unnecessarily



3. Give up the Past


4. Give up living your life on others expectation



5. Give up your resistance for change

[URL="http://i48.tinypic.com/25k7q5l.jpg"][IMG]

6. Give Up Limiting Beliefs



7. Give up Your Fears


8. Give up the Habit of Blaming Others



9. Give up finding causes not to be happy



10. Give up your personal requirement to control situation

#personal development #give #give up #happiness #happy #things
  • Profile picture of the author Heart Cardio
    Nice post. ALl of these do make sense to me. I know that in order for me to be happy, I had to give up some of my past because there were things that were causing me conflict.
    • Profile picture of the author konakid
      That's a good reminder. I think in general just letting things go and letting of things you have no control over is always a good idea.

      If you can change something for the better, do it.

      If you can't, let it go as there is nothing you can do and spending emotional energy on it is a waste of time.

      Meditation really helps me practice this. I'd recommend it to everybody!
    • Profile picture of the author Saintsfan40
      Great stuff here! Maybe you could add a number eleven. "Staying away from negative people that bring you down and negative people in general". That's what I'm doing for 2013. Not associating with any of that drama or garbage of any sort.
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
    Going with the flow and not fighting life makes it a lot easier to be happy, for sure!
  • Profile picture of the author Jarmila
    I would add, "DECIDE to be happy."
  • Profile picture of the author thedanbrown
    I think blaming others is a critical mistake that leads a lot of people to give up what they really want because they're just thinking about all the excuses instead of what's actually causing the problem.
    • Profile picture of the author Andy Fang
      Originally Posted by thedanbrown View Post

      I think blaming others is a critical mistake that leads a lot of people to give up what they really want because they're just thinking about all the excuses instead of what's actually causing the problem.
      Very well said!
  • Profile picture of the author adikoprcike
    I have to let go of my fears, they hold me back.
  • Profile picture of the author danits
    Great post!

    The one I like most is: "Give up living your life on others expectation"

    I've made some very big changes in my life that I'm happy for because I got tired of living on other people's expectations
    • Profile picture of the author tlbowers
      This is awesome! I love it. Many people need a reminder.
    • Profile picture of the author Mousumi
      Wish you all the very best!! keep shining

      Originally Posted by danits View Post

      Great post!

      The one I like most is: "Give up living your life on others expectation"

      I've made some very big changes in my life that I'm happy for because I got tired of living on other people's expectations
  • Profile picture of the author Vortex Creator
    Thank you!!! I love letting go, especially when the situation demands looking at it from a different perspective.

    I love this one:
    9. Give up finding causes not to be happy

    The fastest way to joy is indeed to let go of all the things that don't bring us joy. How often do we tolerate thoughts that bring us sadness, worry, anxiety? Would we wish these thoughts for a loved one? No? Then why are we tolerating it for ourselves??

    Feels good to let go
  • Profile picture of the author @JohnVincent
    Give up news. TV, papers, internet... It's just doom and gloom. Bad hypnosis. I gave up newspapers, TV news etc in 1992. Trust me, you dont miss the big stories, it's impossible too. But does anyone need to hear about people being stabbed, raped, murdered, the lack of money, jobs, clean air, the list of negativity goes on, but so does life... Who needs an hour a day sucking up bad vibes from a suited authority figure on TV when it's so much more fulfilling to spend that hour focusing on what you want or making a difference to people...
    • Profile picture of the author lometogo
      Originally Posted by @JohnVincent View Post

      Give up news. TV, papers
      A wonderful Mark Twain quote: "don't read the news and be uninformed; read it and be misinformed."

      And misguided, I'd add. The news is not intended, generally, to uplift, inspire, or motivate us to greatness.
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Schuman
    Great post. I'm glad you did not say give up sugar.

    I like #3. I see people all of the time blaming things that happened to them in the past for why they are not successful today.
  • Profile picture of the author kellyyarnsbro
    Nice share, those images are cool it expalins it wel, lol.
    11. Get a complete rest so as not to worry too much and this way you are happy.
  • Profile picture of the author jade69
    Easy to say... BUT...
    I just can't give up all these....
    I just can't give up the past...
    It's not something I hold on to...
    The past is a like a computer virus.
    You got it, you are screwed....
  • Profile picture of the author 6figure101
    Great post - Thanks for sharing...
  • Profile picture of the author Japles
    Awesome! 10 physical things I gave up to live a better life are:

    1. Television (My shelf now holds books...a lot of them)
    2. Xbox (No more Halo..or paying pricey xbox live fees which means more money for me)
    3. Soda (Water all day. Everyday)
    4. Having a Messy Room (When my room is organized, my mind is organized)
    5. World of Warcraft (No more wasting my life making a non-living characters' better)
    6. Junk Food (You are what you eat and I am not junk)
    7. Frowning (Fix the problem instead of complaining about it)
    8. Sleeping All Day (When I wake up early, I get more done)
    9. Procrastination (Still struggling with this one, but I'm getting a lot better)
    10. Heavy Drinking (No more killing a 6 pack and suffering the consequences)

    What are some things you guys have given up?
    • Profile picture of the author Mousumi
      Thanks for giving me an idea for another post

      Originally Posted by Japles View Post

      Awesome! 10 physical things I gave up to live a better life are:

      1. Television (My shelf now holds books...a lot of them)
      2. Xbox (No more Halo..or paying pricey xbox live fees which means more money for me)
      3. Soda (Water all day. Everyday)
      4. Having a Messy Room (When my room is organized, my mind is organized)
      5. World of Warcraft (No more wasting my life making a non-living characters' better)
      6. Junk Food (You are what you eat and I am not junk)
      7. Frowning (Fix the problem instead of complaining about it)
      8. Sleeping All Day (When I wake up early, I get more done)
      9. Procrastination (Still struggling with this one, but I'm getting a lot better)
      10. Heavy Drinking (No more killing a 6 pack and suffering the consequences)

      What are some things you guys have given up?
  • Profile picture of the author humboldt84
    Great list, Thanks for sharing. We all have things we need to work on to become better human beings.
    I also really like Japles' list. Those all hit home, thanks!
  • Profile picture of the author Evocess
    Cool!
    I really love your lists Mousumi.
    I was on your thread a while ago about the things that you want to experience before you die.

    Well in life there are time that we need to sacrifice something in order for us to be happy and achieved our goals. Just make sure that things that you give up are worth the result.
    • Profile picture of the author Mousumi
      Thanks
      And well said Just make sure that things that you give up are worth the result

      Originally Posted by Evocess View Post

      Cool!
      I really love your lists Mousumi.
      I was on your thread a while ago about the things that you want to experience before you die.

      Well in life there are time that we need to sacrifice something in order for us to be happy and achieved our goals. Just make sure that things that you give up are worth the result.
  • Profile picture of the author TheOcarlsen
    I have one.

    Realize that so-called negative reflections is the only reason you have ever taken action.

    Do we ever become creative and innovative because of abundance? Do we ever find our curiosity and desire for exploration from being satisfied? Positive never builds a thing, the lack of it does. Negative is only negative (and turn into depression) if you don't believe something can be done about it. If you do, you take action. There is no need for action if there is not a hole to fill. Whether that is about hunger vs getting food or lack of money vs start of business. Happiness is something we enjoy, not something that creates an urge to do.
    • Profile picture of the author Mousumi
      The best thing I read today...Many thanks for your wonderful words!!
      Originally Posted by TheOcarlsen View Post

      I have one.

      Realize that so-called negative reflections is the only reason you have ever taken action.

      Do we ever become creative and innovative because of abundance? Do we ever find our curiosity and desire for exploration from being satisfied? Positive never builds a thing, the lack of it does. Negative is only negative (and turn into depression) if you don't believe something can be done about it. If you do, you take action. There is no need for action if there is not a hole to fill. Whether that is about hunger vs getting food or lack of money vs start of business. Happiness is something we enjoy, not something that creates an urge to do.
  • Profile picture of the author Heart Cardio
    2. Give up your mean habit of criticizing unnecessarily~
    I think that this one is a good one. When you criticize others, are you doing it to be helpful or to hurt the person?
  • Profile picture of the author Sue McDonald
    Great post. You cannot change others you can only change yourself.
  • Profile picture of the author Skiz
    Cool list, nice delivery. The angle of photographs adds some comical silliness to the negative things we can get wrapped up in sometimes
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    Mousumi,

    Good stuff.

    I love #4:

    4. Give up living your life on others expectation

    Look at it this way. People will not want you to succeed and will tell you that you can not make it and laugh at you for trying. Never listen to these people because you can not learn anything in life from them if you want to be successful.

Next Topics on Trending Feed