SMS usage tip -

Profile picture of the author Kelvin Brown by
I have a restaurant as a client, for webservices. As I was working with them they started talking about another issue. They were talking about a scheduling problem for catering. When catering they need extra help and often someone schedule to work the event can't or it's bigger than they had been lead to believe.

One manager was talking about how much time it took to call each of up to 45 employees just to find 5 that could work an event.

So, I piped up and suggested a solution.

The solution, was to use SMS and have all the employees that want to make extra money add themselves to the call list.

So with SMS they can send one text, and wait for the replies to come them.

Now that they like that, there are a few other things to talk to them about, coupons, etc.

Kelvin
#mobile marketing #sms #tip #usage

  • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
    Love this tip. Something I had not thought of before.
  • Profile picture of the author Valdor Kiebach
    Good idea, how would you go about implementing this solution.

    Do I understand that what happens is the restaurant staff would submit their mobile numbers to the restaurant owners SMS service then the owner would just send out 1 text that would get sent to all the staff.

    How is this sort of thing charged to the restaurant owner, is it on a per text message sent basis and who provides the SMS service.
  • Profile picture of the author Kelvin Brown
    There are several ways. I will be using a script from a fellow warrior that, Chad, that uses Twilio. So, my cost is very low. I will make it a flat fee to the employer, with the right to change based on usage.

    Right now, he says he would only need to use it about 3 times a month. My cost $1 for the line, and 4 times a month at 50 numbers, 200 texts at 1 penny each. My ongoing cost about $3 a month.

    The truth is I would be tempted to add it free as to keep them loving me, but i have to charge them something so that, they know, and in their minds assign a real value to the service that I bring to them.

    Kelvin
  • Profile picture of the author Valdor Kiebach
    I just had a look at Twilio and that seems an unbeatable price really as for me in the UK it will be 2p per text.

    It is cheap enough to offer your client for free but I think I would be tempted to sell it as an extra service as well.
  • Profile picture of the author MoBuzz
    That is a great idea Kelvin, as well as a great example of listening to your client and finding what they need and matching it to one of your services. It is sales 101

    I also think this may be a great idea to approach staffing agencies with.

    Originally Posted by Kelvin Brown View Post

    I have a restaurant as a client, for webservices. As I was working with them they started talking about another issue. They were talking about a scheduling problem for catering. When catering they need extra help and often someone schedule to work the event can't or it's bigger than they had been lead to believe.

    One manager was talking about how much time it took to call each of up to 45 employees just to find 5 that could work an event.

    So, I piped up and suggested a solution.

    The solution, was to use SMS and have all the employees that want to make extra money add themselves to the call list.

    So with SMS they can send one text, and wait for the replies to come them.

    Now that they like that, there are a few other things to talk to them about, coupons, etc.

    Kelvin
  • Profile picture of the author Kelvin Brown
    Originally Posted by MoBuzz View Post

    That is a great idea Kelvin, as well as a great example of listening to your client and finding what they need and matching it to one of your services. It is sales 101

    I also think this may be a great idea to approach staffing agencies with.
    Mobuzz, I thought the same thing but, not a great sales letter person. And my first thought was sticking with the subject.

    If one caterer in town is having the same issue, well....

    Then, anyone with an on call type of employment situation.

    I already offer it to churches to use during inclement weather. Many of the schools already have systems in place.

    But I we stop selling to other marketers, and look around we can find other issues to solve.

    Kelvin
  • Profile picture of the author Raineer
    Thanks for this tip!
  • Profile picture of the author twisters
    Very helpful idea, thanks a lot for sharing this tips.
  • Profile picture of the author xlfutur1
    I've set this kind of thing up in OpenVBX with Twilio.

    Its a Group Messaging app that allows for one person to broadcast on the system, but any other people sending incoming messages in are not sent out to everyone, but are collected by the "admin".

    A variation of this app works well for emergency alert SMS systems for daycare centers, schools, etc. too. In this case, only ONE (or group) admin can broadcast to the entire list. Anyone else trying to do so gets an SMS reply letting them know they do not have permission to broadcast to the list.
  • Profile picture of the author Hyperlink
    We did this 3-4 years ago and did great.

    We sold 3rd party PC based software, then they pay per sms sent.

    The industries you can target with this go way beyond catering. Any industry where they need full staff roster every shift for example old people homes - work great.

    Staff member phones in sick for next shift -

    old way phone everyone on the list - takes ages.

    new way - 2 seconds sms - "anyone want an extra shift at xxxx - first to call in gets it."

    We live in a city 1.5 million, pretty much every old peoples home uses us.

    We do not promote it anymore and have outsourced management and just get a payment every month for doing nothing.

    There's loads of industries to target such as

    hospitals
    manufacturing factories
    hotels
    we are in Australia - bush fires are an issue - sms sent from fire service to people as a warning
    organisations that work with deaf people - sounds obvious - and they love it.

    It really doesn't take long to build a significant residual income.
  • Profile picture of the author TrumpiaTim
    Great idea, easy and efficient way of using mobile marketing to help a business. In regards to additional items to sell the client on, pitch mobile coupons, loyalty program, mobile e-cards and if you want to get into other aspects of digital marketing you may even want to cover email marketing and social media with the restaurant owner.
  • Profile picture of the author NewParadigm
    anyone come across an application that lets you chat with multiple mobile users in text chat windows on a pc? kind of like phone call queue management?
  • Profile picture of the author Kelvin Brown
    Originally Posted by NewParadigm View Post

    anyone come across an application that lets you chat with multiple mobile users in text chat windows on a pc? kind of like phone call queue management?
    Google hangouts
  • Profile picture of the author sureshgupta
    Hi Kelvin, Your are right saying.
    Thanks
  • Profile picture of the author aw4248
    OMG.. this is the solution i have been waiting for a lomng long time.. thanks alot broo
  • Profile picture of the author anthonymcneil
    Hey Kelvin... Great idea! You mentioned you're using a SMS WSO with Twillio, you mind sharing which WSO?

Next Topics on Trending Feed