In Truth, Has Anyone Made Money Selling Mobile Sites to Offline Clients?

by 73 comments
Hello everyone,

I just bought a well known mobile site creating software, Mobi-o-Matic, which I intend to use in order to create mobile sites for offline businesses. Of course, with my luck, the software will either turn out to be impossible to figure out without a degree from MIT, or the mobile sites I create with it will be of inferior quality - as compared to what others who are experienced in this field can turn out.

So, some of the things that I'm wondering, and your insights into them would be very welcome, are, is it still possible to make money creating these mobile sites, or has this all been taken over and saturated by more experienced factions - meaning web and graphic designers?

Also, if there's still an outside chance that, even at this juncture, I could venture into the field and sell some of these, is Mobi-o-Matic a good weapon of choice for this task? On the surface, it appears to be easy to figure out, almost push button easy, without any coding knowledge required (and, this is a vital feature for me). But, I could be all wrong about it. Any input about this software specifically, good or bad?

Thanks for any help.
#mobile marketing #clients #made #mobile #money #offline #selling #sites #truth

  • Profile picture of the author Kenster
    I don't do it at all but have met many people who do quite well doing it! Not sure it's as scalable as other models, but it's absolutely a feasible model! Don't know anything about the mobi-o-matic though
  • Profile picture of the author MobileMarketingMogul
    You should be able to sell mobile websites, just start small and approach local businesses or people you know to start with and show them what their competitors are doing
  • Profile picture of the author steffanmax
    i tried, i had a prof website (trust me)

    I contacted over 100 local business, maybe 10-20 with an pre-made post website..

    Like -> Hi i saw your website and visited your resturant -> i made this pre-made -> are you interested..

    I did not make a single dime, not saying their is no money there, because where their are a market there are money..

    But i will never do that again, i spend a month not earning shit..

    Most other business i have tried, i have made a little amount..

    But this was a walk in a desert..
  • Profile picture of the author jorgemv
    Kenster,

    Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my query with your advice.

    Jorge
    Originally Posted by Kenster View Post

    I don't do it at all but have met many people who do quite well doing it! Not sure it's as scalable as other models, but it's absolutely a feasible model! Don't know anything about the mobi-o-matic though
  • Profile picture of the author jorgemv
    Thanks MobileMarketinMogul for taking time to offer me some encouragement; if anyone knows whether this model works, it would be someone who is involved in this market like you are.

    I do not yet have enough posts to PM anybody, so if you don't mind too much, and it might help another Warrior who has a similar question, may I ask one more thing?

    This is where I get confused. Say, I go ahead and learn to use Mobi-o-Matic with some degree of competence, and can make some marketable sites. When I complete one for a client, if I get lucky enough to get one, do I upload it to their server?

    Or, do I host it myself? If I host it myself, what about questions about the domain? Will I need to buy one for them, and then, I guess, redirect it to their main site?

    If you could share with us how you handle things once you have SOLD a mobile site to a client, it would be of extreme value. Can you do this, please? thanks

    Jorge
    Originally Posted by MobileMarketingMogul View Post

    You should be able to sell mobile websites, just start small and approach local businesses or people you know to start with and show them what their competitors are doing
  • Profile picture of the author jorgemv
    Hello steffanmax,

    Your version of this is discouraging, to say the least. But, I thank you for giving me the other side of the coin. Maybe, you did not have good luck because of your location, not than I know where you reside, may not be a heavily populated area, and that there aren't that many potential clients there?

    Originally Posted by steffanmax View Post

    i tried, i had a prof website (trust me)

    I contacted over 100 local business, maybe 10-20 with an pre-made post website..

    Like -> Hi i saw your website and visited your resturant -> i made this pre-made -> are you interested..

    I did not make a single dime, not saying their is no money there, because where their are a market there are money..

    But i will never do that again, i spend a month not earning shit..

    Most other business i have tried, i have made a little amount..

    But this was a walk in a desert..
  • Profile picture of the author midasman09
    I always look for "WHAT DO PEOPLE WANT?"

    For ex: Restaurants WANT....More Diners!

    What do people who check into local Hotels/Motels WANT? A "directory" of where to eat. They are hungry and WANT...FOOR!

    These Hungry Tourists/Travelers have;
    1) a Mobile Device
    2) Money

    What if they could Find a "Restaurant Directory" ON THEIR PHONE?

    Would restaurant owners WANT to be in the Directory?

    You betcha!

    Don Alm....
  • Profile picture of the author steffanmax
    Originally Posted by midasman09 View Post

    I always look for "WHAT DO PEOPLE WANT?"

    For ex: Restaurants WANT....More Diners!

    What do people who check into local Hotels/Motels WANT? A "directory" of where to eat. They are hungry and WANT...FOOR!

    These Hungry Tourists/Travelers have;
    1) a Mobile Device
    2) Money

    What if they could Find a "Restaurant Directory" ON THEIR PHONE?

    Would restaurant owners WANT to be in the Directory?

    You betcha!

    Don Alm....
    Soooo how munch have you made by doing this??? Or are you just guessing ???
  • Profile picture of the author davehayes
    The Short answer is no, I havn't gone anywhere near this area, as I don't Consider it my strength

    Applied Education is the difference
  • Profile picture of the author PaulintheSticks
    Mobile is exploding as shown here: and the market is going to be MASSIVE.

    But for now its still in its infancy like any other new advertising format. It takes a while for business owners to figure out how valuable it is. Its just like selling websites was when the internet started exploding.

    I'm just getting started and so far, I've sent out 2 mockups to businesses I already have a relationship with (via e-mail) and sold 1 - 13 page mobile site for $500. Just a fluke? Maybe but I think the key is finding the right prospects....businesses that could really benefit like restaurants, locksmiths, etc.

    And personally, I'm only going after ones that are already spending money on advertising/marketing and are doing well. So if I drive by a restaurant and its busy on Tuesday evening and I see they are already advertising and have a nice site, etc. they are a prime prospect.
  • Profile picture of the author Social Guy
    Yes, last year I started my business and started with mobile sites/social media, I then moved to responsive sites (bigger clients, 'bigger needs'). My company is a two men show now (third person is coming into play). My focus for 2013 will be back to mobile sites. (in combination with the responsive sites we are building now) The third person who will be working with us will be 100% mobile focused (design/building)
  • Profile picture of the author jorgemv
    Thanks midasman09,

    You're giving me, or us, a perfect example of how to think outside the box.

    Instead of doing what I'm doing, which is bumbling around in the dark, you're asking yourself a key question first before plunging in. Many thanks.
    Originally Posted by midasman09 View Post

    I always look for "WHAT DO PEOPLE WANT?"

    For ex: Restaurants WANT....More Diners!

    What do people who check into local Hotels/Motels WANT? A "directory" of where to eat. They are hungry and WANT...FOOR!

    These Hungry Tourists/Travelers have;
    1) a Mobile Device
    2) Money

    What if they could Find a "Restaurant Directory" ON THEIR PHONE?

    Would restaurant owners WANT to be in the Directory?

    You betcha!

    Don Alm....
  • Profile picture of the author jorgemv
    Thanks you PaulintheSticks,

    What you're sharing here gives me sufficient confidence and impetus to look upon this business as more than just a "maybe," and more like what I want to make it: an actual, workable, profitable business model. Many thanks to you.
    Originally Posted by PaulintheSticks View Post

    Mobile is exploding as shown here: The Mobile Movement: Understanding Smartphone Consumers - YouTube and the market is going to be MASSIVE.

    But for now its still in its infancy like any other new advertising format. It takes a while for business owners to figure out how valuable it is. Its just like selling websites was when the internet started exploding.

    I'm just getting started and so far, I've sent out 2 mockups to businesses I already have a relationship with (via e-mail) and sold 1 - 13 page mobile site for $500. Just a fluke? Maybe but I think the key is finding the right prospects....businesses that could really benefit like restaurants, locksmiths, etc.

    And personally, I'm only going after ones that are already spending money on advertising/marketing and are doing well. So if I drive by a restaurant and its busy on Tuesday evening and I see they are already advertising and have a nice site, etc. they are a prime prospect.
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Hower
    Originally Posted by midasman09 View Post

    Would restaurant owners WANT to be in the Directory?

    You betcha!

    Don Alm....
    Hi Don, I agree, however, I would still have to find the first one willing to pay money for being in the directory.

    Cheers
    Dan Hower
  • Profile picture of the author jorgemv
    Thanks Social Guy,

    I'm not sure what a responsive site is, but what you're telling us about how things are going for you with the mobile sites business is very inspirational, at least from my end.

    You're not only making this work for you, but are obviously doing well. Much luck to you.
    Originally Posted by Social Guy View Post

    Yes, last year I started my business and started with mobile sites/social media, I then moved to responsive sites (bigger clients, 'bigger needs'). My company is a two men show now (third person is coming into play). My focus for 2013 will be back to mobile sites. (in combination with the responsive sites we are building now) The third person who will be working with us will be 100% mobile focused (design/building)
  • Profile picture of the author ronr
    One way to get started is when you are out shopping or doing things you are doing anyway, see how their sites look on your mobile phone and show them. I've found those are the easiest sales.

    Another way to get started is to make a few free ones for friends and try to get referrals from them. Even if you don't get referrals you'll have samples.

    Once you get beyond these 2 methods it gets harder trying to get clients by phone, email, etc. I have a family member that is trying this and has tried different email, direct mail approaches, tried Linkedin (not cold calling) and has yet to find a system that works (time and cost effective and gets results)

    The whole world maybe turning mobile but it can still be a tough sell to offline businesses.

    Ron
  • Profile picture of the author jorgemv
    Thanks Ron,

    Your honesty regarding how it seems to get harder, rather than easier to sell these to offline businesses, is appreciated.

    As is, of course, your mention of the first two methods that actually work. It won't hurt me to work these two in at the outset; they both make a lot of sense.

    Thanks,
    Jorge
    Originally Posted by ronr View Post

    One way to get started is when you are out shopping or doing things you are doing anyway, see how their sites look on your mobile phone and show them. I've found those are the easiest sales.

    Another way to get started is to make a few free ones for friends and try to get referrals from them. Even if you don't get referrals you'll have samples.

    Once you get beyond these 2 methods it gets harder trying to get clients by phone, email, etc. I have a family member that is trying this and has tried different email, direct mail approaches, tried Linkedin (not cold calling) and has yet to find a system that works (time and cost effective and gets results)

    The whole world maybe turning mobile but it can still be a tough sell to offline businesses.

    Ron
  • Profile picture of the author ronr
    You're welcome. You can do it but it takes work but if you are commited you will get results. Take massive action and you'll get results more quickly and not get discouraged. But don't believe all the WSO's that claim a system that gets offline clients to beg you to help them. :rolleyes:

    Originally Posted by jorgemv View Post

    Thanks Ron,

    Your honesty regarding how it seems to get harder, rather than easier to sell these to offline businesses, is appreciated.

    As is, of course, your mention of the first two methods that actually work. It won't hurt me to work these two in at the outset; they both make a lot of sense.

    Thanks,
    Jorge
  • Profile picture of the author PaulintheSticks
    Originally Posted by ronr View Post

    But don't believe all the WSO's that claim a system that gets offline clients to beg you to help them. :rolleyes:
    Are you saying they won't throw money at you?
  • Profile picture of the author ronr
    Ha! I forgot that infamous phrase that's also used in so many WSO's :-)

    Originally Posted by PaulintheSticks View Post

    Are you saying they won't throw money at you?

Next Topics on Trending Feed

  • 5 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }} 5

    Hi guys! I have a snails farm and snails factory. Basically what we do is export snails production such as snails caviar, canned snails and so on... we do have couple of clients but it's not enough. However we dont really do any marketing campaigns and its hard to attract clients by placing an ad on alibaba. So guys maybe some of you could give me some advice what kind of strategies I could implement to grow this business? Thanks!

  • 32 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }} 5

    I am a professional writer and have quite a few clients that I write for regularly. I want to expand my clientele and I offer people free written content. I understand that these new potential clients have never worked with me before, so I start writing for them for free, just so they can get a good idea of the standard of my work. Then when they are happy with it, they pay me for the full service. Firstly, is this a good idea? I would think that it would be a great way for anyone who needs written content to get a look at a potential supplier while having zero risk. They pay nothing so if they don't like it, they can just tell me and we go our separate ways (although this very rarely happens as I offer high quality written content).