Is this going to happen?

by 15 comments
I was discussing mobile websites with someone the other day and he suggested that in a very short time there will be no need for them, due to increased bandwith and improving technology with smartphones and other mobile devices and regular sites will just load the same as they do on a desktop/laptop. Can you see this happening anytime soon?
#mobile marketing #happen #mobile #smartphone #websites
  • Profile picture of the author umc
    I don't know, but I personally hate mobile sites. I want to see the real deal, not a boring scaled down version of a site. With 4G speeds, I have no reason to not go to a full site. Just my opinion though. I know that many love the mobile version, including my wife.
    • Profile picture of the author cloudchief
      Originally Posted by umc View Post

      I don't know, but I personally hate mobile sites. I want to see the real deal, not a boring scaled down version of a site. With 4G speeds, I have no reason to not go to a full site. Just my opinion though. I know that many love the mobile version, including my wife.
      Agreed. I would rather just go to the full site.
  • Profile picture of the author Nail Yener
    Originally Posted by endlock25 View Post

    I was discussing mobile websites with someone the other day and he suggested that in a very short time there will be no need for them, due to increased bandwith and improving technology with smartphones and other mobile devices and regular sites will just load the same as they do on a desktop/laptop. Can you see this happening anytime soon?
    Let's say we reached a point in technology that the loading speed of a website is exactly the same on a desktop device and a mobile device. What difference it would make? The main point for a mobile friendly site is the usability. "Loading speed" is just one part of the usability. How bigger can a smartphone screen get? 1/4 - 1/5 of a 15" laptop screen? There is a limit for the screen size that you can carry in your pocket as a "phone" and as long as there are small screens accessing web, the need for mobile friendly sites (mobile version or responsive) will not disappear.

    Originally Posted by umc View Post

    I don't know, but I personally hate mobile sites. I want to see the real deal, not a boring scaled down version of a site. With 4G speeds, I have no reason to not go to a full site. Just my opinion though. I know that many love the mobile version, including my wife.
    What do you mean by the real deal? If a mobile website does its job well, then one shouldn't need to access the full site. If you have a reason to go to the full site, that means the mobile representation of that site is not doing its job.
    • Profile picture of the author umc
      Originally Posted by Nail Yener View Post

      What do you mean by the real deal? If a mobile website does its job well, then one shouldn't need to access the full site. If you have a reason to go to the full site, that means the mobile representation of that site is not doing its job.
      I mean just that, the real deal, not a copy, the original. Often I'm going to a site that I know and like already, and I'm familiar with where everything is. I don't want to have to reacquaint myself with the site in the form of the mobile version. I also find many mobile sites to be incredibly devoid of graphic design and boring. I like shiny objects, so I like the more graphic intensive full site. I find many mobile sites to be more utilitarian, and although that will do in a pinch, if I have options, I'm going full site. With that said, I do seem to enjoy responsive sites for the most part. This isn't exactly something I've done a case study on, but just my opinions as a heavy internet user both on my mobile phone, tablet, laptop, and desktop.
  • Profile picture of the author ltrain_riders
    Responsive web design is where it's at. If you're building a new site make sure it's responsive so it can adjust to the different resolutions your visitors will be viewing at. This makes things easier because you don't have to manage yoursite.com and m.yoursite.com.

    Most websites are poorly coded/designed for smaller devices, not the other way around. I think you are going to see more web sites change their design to conform to the changing screen sizes. There's no reason not to do it now, if you are building a new site.
    • Profile picture of the author MobileMarketingMogul
      Originally Posted by ltrain_riders View Post

      Responsive web design is where it's at. If you're building a new site make sure it's responsive so it can adjust to the different resolutions your visitors will be viewing at. This makes things easier because you don't have to manage yoursite.com and m.yoursite.com.

      Most websites are poorly coded/designed for smaller devices, not the other way around. I think you are going to see more web sites change their design to conform to the changing screen sizes. There's no reason not to do it now, if you are building a new site.
      The thing is with responsive design is that it just shrinks the desktop site, this is no use as the content you see on a desktop site is not what you want to see on your mobile device.

      I would recommend a separate mobile site as you can get straight to the point with your mobile customers.
  • Profile picture of the author NewParadigm
    w/ bigger smart phones, its easier to handle the regular site, but still many people w/ needs for a simpler mobile site. Geez, retailers/restaurants put your dang hours of operation on your first main page! quit making me search high and low!
  • Profile picture of the author cjagodka
    I can say personally that I prefer mobile sites when doing a search on my phone. I have fat thumbs (seriously fat thumbs.) It's easier to navigate through a mobile site than a full site just because buttons are bigger without having to zoom in. By the way I have a GS3 and still have to zoom in on some sites.

    I don't think mobile sites are ever going to go away. They will just become more elaborate.
  • Profile picture of the author mjbmedia
    hey endlock, who was this 'someone' you were discussing mobile websites with and why have you put so much weight on what they said?
    • Profile picture of the author endlock25
      It was my daughters boyfriend. He's pretty switched on when it comes to "teccy "stuff and it just got me thinking.
  • Profile picture of the author Shellyannr
    Oh absolutely. The very fact that someone even thought of it makes it possible. A few decades ago who even knew of smartphones at all, now look where we are.
    • Profile picture of the author Hengky Ongko
      Is tablet access from ipad including in mobile site? If yes, then I think it will be more dominant one day..You should have responsive themes that can adjust easily when visitor access your web from any devices they use
  • Profile picture of the author Workman
    Ideal mobile sites should have: all the features of a full site with the streamlined look of a native app.

    Will it happen? Probably not, but the sites that do adopt a good mobile strategy will likely benefit since they will provide a better experience with their visitors. (Remember what's important in Google's Panda update? The visitor experience.)

    If you work with a business who says a mobile version is not important to them, please make the case that the web is becoming increasingly more mobile and this is preparation for the very near future.
  • Profile picture of the author mjbmedia
    OK then ask your daughters boyfriend how he uses a site on his PC compared to how he uses it when mobile on his mobile device(s) and why the hell he honestly thinks there will be a huge change in the way users use the sites on their different platforms in the future.

    When Im on PC, I take more time, am prepared to look around , making decisions based on searching a number of sites and pages, Im going out to eat in 3 nights time and want it to be special so am prepared to do some (lengthy) homework.
    When Im mobile, the decisions are generally more imminent, I want to eat now, im more interested in filling my stomach than researching the absolute best option, and the one that resonates with me most within the first few sites (and they have to be mobile friendly and engaging) will win my business.

    You ask your daughters boyfriend why he thinks the above will change from a users perspective just because technology can allow a PC site onto a mobile device doesnt mean users will engage with it.

Next Topics on Trending Feed