How do you get the name "Dick" from Richard?

by 26 comments
I have always wondered where this nick name came from, do you know?

Chris
#off topic
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    >How do you get the name "Dick" from Richard?

    Which punchline do you want?
    • Profile picture of the author Chris Worner
      Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

      >How do you get the name "Dick" from Richard?

      Which punchline do you want?
      as many as you can come up with.

      Chris
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    Originally Posted by skyfox7 View Post

    I have always wondered where this nick name came from, do you know?

    Chris

    I think looking at Cockney English -- aka rhyming slang -- might give a hint of how this happened.
  • Profile picture of the author I.M.Retired
    I've always wondered how, um, something else got the name 'Dick.' <blushes profusely and hides under desk!>
    • Profile picture of the author ThomM
      Originally Posted by Val.S. View Post

      I've always wondered how, um, something else got the name 'Dick.' <blushes profusely and hides under desk!>
      So it would make jokes like this funnier.
      "Have you ever known a Richard who wasn't a Dick?":rolleyes:


      I've always wondered what genius decided that Tom is short for Thomas:confused:
      Probably someone named Dick.
  • Profile picture of the author Don Schenk
    There is a fellow with whom I have been friends since childhood. His name is Richard, and everyone calls him Dick.

    His father (deceased) was named Richard, and everyone called him Dick.

    My friend's mom, when referring to her son and her husband called them "Big Dick" and "Little Dick." Then she would break out laughing.

    :-Don
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by Don Schenk View Post

      There is a fellow with whom I have been friends since childhood. His name is Richard, and everyone calls him Dick.

      His father (deceased) was named Richard, and everyone called him Dick.

      My friend's mom, when referring to her son and her husband called them "Big Dick" and "Little Dick." Then she would break out laughing.

      :-Don
      And the worst part is, even if you ARE big Dick, if you're little Dick, you'll
      always be little Dick.

      And the last thing a family needs is a couple of Dicks dropping their pants
      in the middle of the living room to prove who's REALLY big Dick.

      Okay, I gotta stop because I start laughing so hard I begin to cry.
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    I think all of you need to stop being dicks.
    What I want to know is how Did Jack become John, and vice versa!
    (This is coming from Kim,which is almost as bad as being a boy named Sue!)
    • Profile picture of the author jacktackett
      Originally Posted by KimW View Post

      I think all of you need to stop being dicks.
      What I want to know is how Did Jack become John, and vice versa!
      (This is coming from Kim,which is almost as bad as being a boy named Sue!)
      It is a nick name for John-which comes from biblical times . In the middle ages the Germanic tribes translated this as something like (no laughing) Jackin(*)
      Nicknames: How John Became Jack and Other Odd Nicknames - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

      I have lived with that for ages. First since I was born during the Kennedy (yea I'm an old fart - deal with it) administration folks in school always thought my name was John and that folks just called me Jack. Nope - my first name is Jack. I have no middle name so guess things could be worse - except I am named after my dad, so I'm a Jr. In college and when I worked for the gov'ment it drove bureaucrats crazy since they just figured I didnt give them a middle name because I was embarrassed or something - nope, just don't have one thanks.

      and now to what really sucks - since I'm named after my dad naturally folks called him big Jack and me little Jack. Didn't mind so much until I stopped growing at around the 9th grade at 5"2`

      (*) one time I walked into a supervisor's office and asked for thursday off to run some errands. So he wrote in his Day Planner, yep you guessed it,
      Jack off on Thursday......He was really into planning everything...

      but at least I'm not a Dick

      --Jack
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    A man's name says a lot about him.
    I think if I were named Richard I would just have to insist that people call me "Rich".
    • Profile picture of the author abednego
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      A man's name says a lot about him.
      I think if I were named Richard I would just have to insist that people call me "Rich".
      ... noway - I'd insist that EVERYONE calls me dick!

      Not that names matter anyway.

      I'm half polish / half Italian; with an English first name...
    • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      A man's name says a lot about him.
      ? does it?

      I'm curious about how you came to this conclusion. A name is assigned to you by your parents, before you are even born... how could it possibly say anything about you?
  • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
    No lie... I used to work with a guy whose name was... drum roll...

    Richard Washer

    Everyone called him Dick ...

    He looked like a defeated man when I knew him. But a helluva nice
    guy.


    Ken
  • Profile picture of the author Jagged
    how about that nascar racer...dick trickle? imagine going through life with that name...yikes!!
    • Profile picture of the author Bill Farnham
      Originally Posted by Jagged View Post

      how about that nascar racer...dick trickle? imagine going through life with that name...yikes!!
      Or Dick Butkus, pronounced...
  • Profile picture of the author Sumit Menon
    Why isn't it Rich or Rick?
    • Profile picture of the author Alan Petersen
      Dick - meaning of Dick name

      My wife had an aunt and uncle who went by their nicknames Uncle Dick and Aunt Tiny. Just cracks me up. You had be careful when you greeted Tiny & Dick.

      Most Richards that I know that go by "Dick" were older so maybe it wasn't as common slang as now.
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    My neighbour is called Richard and he's a right DICK!
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    "one time I walked into a supervisor's office and asked for thursday off to run some errands. So he wrote in his Day Planner, yep you guessed it,
    Jack off on Thursday....."


    Best laugh I've had in a while! Spewing coffee on the screen funny! Thanks!
  • Profile picture of the author Pauline60
    And how to you get Bob from Robert, Bill from William,Peggy from Margaret etc. names are funny things.

    Years ago, and I swear this is true, I came across someone called Richard and his surname was Head. I can only hope he was always known as Richard.

Next Topics on Trending Feed