Will EDDM work for Junk Removal Business?

by pixelbite 25 replies
I have a client that currently advertises on Google Adwords, FB ads, CL and he does get leads but its not keeping him as busy as he would like.. I have zero experience in direct mail marketing, do you think this would be a good way to bring him new clients?

Any marketing advice would be awesome!
#offline marketing #business #eddm #junk #removal #work
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
    EDDM is just another means of delivering a message,
    as is Yellow Pages, tv, radio, billboards, Craigslist, Google and on and on.

    So with that in mind, coming up with a better message is
    going to help your client.

    Best,
    Ewen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10992712].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sean DeSilva
    It'll likely get conversions but the question is whether you can make it pay back the costs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10992881].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author animal44
    Originally Posted by pixelbite View Post

    I have a client that currently advertises on Google Adwords, FB ads, CL and he does get leads but its not keeping him as busy as he would like.. I have zero experience in direct mail marketing, do you think this would be a good way to bring him new clients?

    Any marketing advice would be awesome!
    For a business like junk removal, leaflets might be a better option. Who goes onto Facebook or Google to search for junk removal? A leaflet might just trigger action from the housewife who knows she should be decluttering her garage/loft/basement but puts it off for 101 reasons...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10992932].message }}
    Signature

    I stayed up all night trying to figure out where the Sun went.
    Then it dawned on me...
    What I do for a living

  • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
    Here's a proven to work flyer that I should be charging you for...



    Best,
    Ewen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10992945].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author umc
    I wonder if they could network with people that are already in people's homes, like house cleaning companies, carpet cleaners, etc., as a jv partner.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10993485].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      Good idea.

      Real estate appraisers get to go in right before the old homeowner is about to move out... when they have a lot of stuff they don't know what to do with but know it must not be in the house when the new owner moves in.



      Originally Posted by umc View Post

      I wonder if they could network with people that are already in people's homes, like house cleaning companies, carpet cleaners, etc., as a jv partner.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10993742].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
    Originally Posted by pixelbite View Post

    I have a client that currently advertises on Google Adwords, FB ads, CL and he does get leads but its not keeping him as busy as he would like.. I have zero experience in direct mail marketing, do you think this would be a good way to bring him new clients?
    Anything can work...IF you are the ONLY ONE they have information for.

    Think about that.

    If yours is the only flyer, brochure or businesscard that a prospect receives for a product or service, than you ARE the one they associate with that product or service, by default.

    I have an acquaintance who goes door to door, offering to buy valuables and remove old cars and junk.

    Kind of like a traveling pawn shop.

    He has NO competition. No one else in his town, is doing what he does. He is going to the customer, not waiting for the customer to come to him.

    He gets lots of referrals from his prospects, for friends and relatives who have basements, garages, attics, storage units filled with clutter.

    He is making a fortune.

    Yeah I know, engaging another human being in a meaningful conversation is just so...old skewwwl.

    So is breathing.

    Get over it!

    Ron
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10993593].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

      Kind of like a traveling pawn shop.
      They're called 'pickers' and it's a huge business. There was even a TV show about 2 guys that did it. It was a very cool show.

      Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10993692].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
        Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

        They're called 'pickers' and it's a huge business. There was even a TV show about 2 guys that did it. It was a very cool show.

        Frank
        I've heard of the show but not watched it. Thought maybe they followed up on leads/ads to find business. But, I don't really know. My guy hits every door in the neighborhood. Finds deals that no one else knows about, thus no competition.

        He stays in touch with people. I think that is probably the most effective thing he does.

        He's found deals on cars, boats, tractors, motor homes, mobile homes, and even houses. He has a network of realtors he passes listing leads to. They in turn pass things his way. Mostly, "get over here and get this stuff out of the house, so we can sell it."

        Everybody makes money.

        And yes, Gordon...it be real "fly low".

        Ron

        Added: I posted before I saw DABK's post. It's right on the money! What people leave behind when moving out, is just amazing.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10993767].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author eccj
      Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

      Anything can work...IF you are the ONLY ONE they have information for.

      Think about that.

      If yours is the only flyer, brochure or businesscard that a prospect receives for a product or service, than you ARE the one they associate with that product or service, by default.

      I have an acquaintance who goes door to door, offering to buy valuables and remove old cars and junk.

      Kind of like a traveling pawn shop.

      He has NO competition. No one else in his town, is doing what he does. He is going to the customer, not waiting for the customer to come to him.

      He gets lots of referrals from his prospects, for friends and relatives who have basements, garages, attics, storage units filled with clutter.

      He is making a fortune.

      Yeah I know, engaging another human being in a meaningful conversation is just so...old skewwwl.

      So is breathing.

      Get over it!

      Ron
      How does he sell the stuff?

      On the show they have their own store.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10993925].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    House/apartment rental clean outs is steady work.

    Target landlords.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10993829].message }}
    Signature
    We had the technology.
    • Profile picture of the author pixelbite
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      House/apartment rental clean outs is steady work.

      Target landlords.
      Great idea, I will generate a targeted list and mail to them directly
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10993857].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DABK
        If you're doing this, it's probably best to target 5-10 unit buildings... Too small to have the set up to deal with what tenants leave behind but 5-10 units, not 1 or 2. Plus, if you're in an area like mine, if it's one unit... not too much, you can just put it by the curb and the regular garbage pickup peeps will haul it away... Sometimes for a (small) additional fee, sometimes without additional anything... You just have to put it out on the regularly scheduled day...

        Originally Posted by pixelbite View Post

        Great idea, I will generate a targeted list and mail to them directly
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10994463].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
    0800GOTJUNK 6X increased their business when they went from
    trying to haul all junk to offering to haul broken TVs for $20.

    Once they had it on the truck they asked if they had more junk they wanted hauling
    and in most cases it was yes.

    So they set up an easy thing to say yes to then the next step, all junk,
    was easy to say yes to while they were on site.

    It's all about creating an easy way to say yes to.

    Best,
    Ewen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10993972].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

      0800GOTJUNK 6X increased their business when they went from
      trying to haul all junk to offering to haul broken TVs for $20.
      I could see this idea being HUGE.. I know where I live it is not legal to dump TV'S and EVERYONE has at least on in their garage. If the Junk Guy can find a way to dispose of them... People WOULD pay to have them removed!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10994007].message }}
      Signature
      Tools, Content, and Strategies to Develop Your Online Commerce Business - Coming Soon
      • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
        Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

        I could see this idea being HUGE.. I know where I live it is not legal to dump TV'S and EVERYONE has at least on in their garage. If the Junk Guy can find a way to dispose of them... People WOULD pay to have them removed!
        Yep, it's no coincidence that 0800JUNK are the biggest around by using TVS
        as their foot in the door.

        Best,
        Ewen
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10994017].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pixelbite
      Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

      0800GOTJUNK 6X increased their business when they went from
      trying to haul all junk to offering to haul broken TVs for $20.

      Once they had it on the truck they asked if they had more junk they wanted hauling
      and in most cases it was yes.

      So they set up an easy thing to say yes to then the next step, all junk,
      was easy to say yes to while they were on site.

      It's all about creating an easy way to say yes to.

      Best,
      Ewen
      Wow! This is absolutely golden!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10994280].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author umc
    Ewen, you are killing it with some of these posts. Thanks for sharing! Love the mindset behind the Got Junk tv spectacular, which is what I'm choosing to call it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10994020].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author colorado1850
    One other possible opportunity is the local Facebook Buy/Sell/Trade/ Groups.

    I only mention this because I see people asking about junk haulers on a regular basis.

    Not sure how popular the Groups are in your area, but there are at least three in my small town of 100,000 and the groups range in size from 7,000 - 11,000 members. (It blows my mind that 10+ percent of my town population participate in those groups!)

    Anyway, would be quick and easy to take some copy out of @Ewen's flyer as a quick post in the local groups every few days.

    Great stuff posted in this thread - thanks for sharing !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10994731].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
    1-800 Junk here in the US sends posts cards out all the time besides advertising on the radio. I get them a lot at home. That tells you they must work if they keep sending them.

    The Show American Pickers is on the History Channel still, think new ones air on Monday night. Check your TV Schedule.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10994887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author edem_sosu
    I happen to come across a lot of Junk Removal ads on facebook marketplace covering local towns.I think it will be a good place to start.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11067059].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
      Originally Posted by edem_sosu View Post

      I happen to come across a lot of Junk Removal ads on facebook marketplace covering local towns.I think it will be a good place to start.
      Start with the house next door.

      I happened to be talking to a neighbor the other day. Her husband recently passed away. She's been in a "pack rat" mode for many years and now needs to, in her words, "get this place ready to sell"

      She's downsizing.

      Meanwhile, her closets, basement, attic and garage are full of stuff.

      She needs help...yesterday!

      There's probably someone like this in your neighborhood.

      You just have to look around...and ask.

      Ron
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11068301].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
        Local churches may make a good source of leads for their members who need removal services due to death, moving, etc.

        Also funeral homes may be a source.

        I've started compiling a list of potential lead sources for this.

        Don't know what the hell I'm going to do with it. May post it here when I'm done.

        Ron
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11068474].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Another one to target is dead people, lmao, I'm serious.

    If you've ever inherited a house you know there's a lot junk that needs hauled away.

    That gives you roughly 3 - 9 months for probate court to settle the estate. So... hammer that offline mailbox with junk removal ads, well, at least once a month for about 6 months. Trust me, someone is collecting that mail.

    All the info. you need is online, county tax, obituaries, mailing address, etc...

    Hey, it's just business and a safe bet those folks need help cleaning out those houses, garages, yards, etc...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11068329].message }}
    Signature
    We had the technology.

Trending Topics