How to network with larger businesses/corporations in my area?

by 8 replies
I am trying to get my copywriting business off of the ground. I have realized the best approach is through networking. I have done some networking, but a lot of the clients I have been able to speak with our smaller businesses who might not be able to afford to outsource a nonessential service like copywriting.

I want to try and figure out how I can get in the room with those who work at larger businesses and/or corporations. My thought is to go where they are and become part of that group or community. I'm just not sure how to go about finding those opportunities.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
#offline marketing #area #larger #network
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    Originally Posted by wheelstb View Post

    I am trying to get my copywriting business off of the ground. I have realized the best approach is through networking. I have done some networking, but a lot of the clients I have been able to speak with our smaller businesses who might not be able to afford to outsource a nonessential service like copywriting.

    I want to try and figure out how I can get in the room with those who work at larger businesses and/or corporations. My thought is to go where they are and become part of that group or community. I'm just not sure how to go about finding those opportunities.

    Thanks in advance for the advice.
    The obviously least obvious choice.. your local Golf Country Club.
    Signature
    Tools, Content, and Strategies to Develop Your Online Commerce Business - Coming Soon
    • Profile picture of the author animal44
      Originally Posted by wheelstb View Post

      I am trying to get my copywriting business off of the ground.
      Surely if you have copywriting skills, this would be the way to generate business. A well written sales letter can be very effective, is reusable and relatively cheap way to generate business...

      I've found buying someone a free lunch is an effective way of getting on their radar...

      Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

      The obviously least obvious choice.. your local Golf Country Club.
      Too many Freemasons...!
      Signature

      I stayed up all night trying to figure out where the Sun went.
      Then it dawned on me...
      What I do for a living

  • Profile picture of the author Peter Lessard
    What caught my eye in your post was
    "might not be able to afford to outsource a nonessential service like copywriting".

    I'm not sure what kind of copy you write but if you actually believe its "nonessential" why would anyone buy it? small biz or corp?

    Many on here (myself included) have generated significant sums of money for all types of small businesses with the right copy in a sponsored facebook post, ebook or landing page. If its something you are or can get good at you can bill for value and results....

    Of course if your writing things like manuals etc.. then that's a different story (not that there's anything wrong with technical writing).

    Perhaps the first thing you need to define is the value of your work and who is best suited for it and why...
    I'm sure your writing is much better than "non essential" ;-)
    Signature
    20% Commissions For Referrals.
    Marketing Solutions For SME's to Fortune 500's since 2001 PeterLessard.com

    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Peter Lessard View Post

      What caught my eye in your post was
      "might not be able to afford to outsource a nonessential service like copywriting".
      Damn. You beat me to it.

      Copywriting is the most essential skill to any company that markets. Copywriing isn't something you think about after your company has grown. It's something you think about...if you want your company to grow.
      And.....many very small businesses are already spending a few thousand dollars a month on advertising. Maybe they would be interested in spending a little more, so that their advertising would actually pay.

      Anyway, it's a thought.
  • Profile picture of the author Angelina Roy
    I think that we can do good marketing through networking. I have been promoting different brand from different network, i have many clients for my business. But i want to be a part of your website for making the huge business.
  • Profile picture of the author minhhuyht96
    Banned
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Originally Posted by wheelstb View Post

    I am trying to get my copywriting business off of the ground. I have realized the best approach is through networking. I have done some networking, but a lot of the clients I have been able to speak with our smaller businesses who might not be able to afford to outsource a nonessential service like copywriting.

    I want to try and figure out how I can get in the room with those who work at larger businesses and/or corporations. My thought is to go where they are and become part of that group or community. I'm just not sure how to go about finding those opportunities.

    Thanks in advance for the advice.


    Research specific businesses and figure out who the people are that manage outsourcing. Follow them on social profiles and see what public events they're attending.
    Signature
    We have the technology.

Trending Topics