Built a 100k list of untargeted subcribers (what to do with it)

by james dare 10 replies
Hi every one, my team was able to build a list of 100k subs in a week but it's untargeted. Who has had the experience of marketing to an untargeted list before ?
#offline marketing #100k #built #list #subcribers #untargeted
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Oziboomer
    Originally Posted by james dare View Post

    Hi every one, my team was able to build a list of 100k subs in a week but it's untargeted. Who has had the experience of marketing to an untargeted list before ?
    So they subscribed to something?

    It sounds like the list was scraped.

    If they subscribed to something then you need to create a bridge between the thing they subscribed to and the product you want to promote.

    Surely if they subscribed and you got the traffic to the subscription form you must have thought about what the next steps were beforehand.

    Otherwise for a scraped list the best option is this.

    1. Find the prevailing wind direction

    2. Drop pants and piss towards it

    At least this way someone will get a warm feeling from the experience.

    If on the other hand the list was built legitimately then please share where the subs came from and what you ultimately want them to buy and perhaps you might get some constructive bridge building information.

    Best regards,

    Ozi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11058423].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SARubin
      Originally Posted by Oziboomer View Post

      Otherwise for a scraped list the best option is this.

      1. Find the prevailing wind direction

      2. Drop pants and piss towards it

      At least this way someone will get a warm feeling from the experience.
      I haven't laughed that hard in a long time...Thank you!


      Unfortunately, for the OP, this advice is absolutely correct. If you plan on emailing to a list of 100,000 scraped addresses, you will be just another spammer.

      The truth is... In this day and age, you're far better off to have 1000 loyal fans, than 1,000,000 random names.


      But if you managed to build your list through some type of subscription form, then there must have been some kind of an offer made to them?

      That would be at least a start towards understanding how to target your market.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11058431].message }}
      Signature

      SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Advertising and Marketing Aficionado

      • Profile picture of the author james dare
        Originally Posted by SARubin View Post

        I haven't laughed that hard in a long time...Thank you!


        Unfortunately, for the OP, this advice is absolutely correct. If you plan on emailing to a list of 100,000 scraped addresses, you will be just another spammer.

        The truth is... In this day and age, you're far better off to have 1000 loyal fans, than 1,000,000 random names.


        But if you managed to build your list through some type of subscription form, then there must have been some kind of an offer made to them?

        That would be at least a start towards understanding how to target your market.
        Absolutely comical guys but obviously I'm not going to come out in the open and subject my self to fines thru the CAN-SPAM Act when they start investigating...

        Anyways i should have been more clearer - the list (data) was bought and i say untargeted because there's no bridge between my marketing and the list yet - it's in the finance space.
        This is my first time buying data, reason why i asked this question -

        @Ozilboomer - have you any experience in buying data ? Considering the fact that i'm doing just over a million in volume per month - i thought of buying data which i did since it's a quick way to build a list fast....
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11058469].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author yukon
          Originally Posted by james dare View Post

          the list (data) was bought and i say untargeted because there's no bridge between my marketing and the list yet - it's in the finance space.
          This is my first time buying data, reason why i asked this question -


          How do you know those are real emails?

          Anyone can generate a list of one million fake emails with a simple script in less than an hour.

          How much did you pay for the list?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11058531].message }}
          Signature
          We had the technology.
          • Profile picture of the author james dare
            Originally Posted by yukon View Post

            How do you know those are real emails?

            Anyone can generate a list of one million fake emails with a simple script in less than an hour.

            How much did you pay for the list?
            Paid four figures - @yukon - have any experience working with bought data prior?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11058583].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author DABK
              So, how do you know they're real?

              When you bought them, what were the instructions? Why did you buy?

              What you do with the list depends on how/why the list was created.



              Originally Posted by james dare View Post

              Paid four figures
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11058673].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
              Originally Posted by james dare View Post

              Paid four figures - @yukon - have any experience working with bought data prior?


              So why did you pay four figures for a list you know nothing about?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11059875].message }}
              Signature

              David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Retired Real Estate Agent
              www.DukeOfMarketing.com

              www.TheSaviorsMinistry.org

        • Profile picture of the author SARubin
          Originally Posted by james dare View Post

          Absolutely comical guys but obviously I'm not going to come out in the open and subject my self to fines thru the CAN-SPAM Act when they start investigating...
          Sorry to bust your chops James. But you gotta admit... it was kind of a funny answer

          (and you might be surprised by how many people actually think they can buy a random list of names, and make millions of dollars, overnight)


          Originally Posted by james dare View Post

          Anyways i should have been more clearer - the list (data) was bought and i say untargeted because there's no bridge between my marketing and the list yet - it's in the finance space.
          This is my first time buying data, reason why i asked this question -
          .
          Now that you mention it's a purchased list, (that you paid four figures for) the next obvious question would be...

          How much criteria did you get to request when purchasing the list? (Geographic, Demographic, Psycho-graphic, etc?)

          For example - did you get names of people who belong to affluent families in a particular country (and/or particular area of the country)...who own homes...who make @ least 200,000 a year... college educated... have children...etc...

          Also, do we know of their recent buying habits? (is this a warm list for your type of products, or a cold list for what you're selling?)

          The more info, the better.

          The reason to ask is because, if you say if you're selling in the finance space, you'll have an easier time marketing to people who

          1. care about such things
          2. might have a need for what you're selling
          3. can afford what you're selling


          (Hopefully, that all makes sense so far?)


          So, the first thing to do is understand whom your list is made up of. Because without at least some insight, were back to marketing blind.


          I know you said it was an un-targeted list. But, I guess my point here would be, without at least some criteria, it's not really much better than a randomly scraped list.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11058676].message }}
          Signature

          SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Advertising and Marketing Aficionado

        • Profile picture of the author Oziboomer
          Originally Posted by james dare View Post

          A @Ozilboomer - have you any experience in buying data ? Considering the fact that i'm doing just over a million in volume per month - i thought of buying data which i did since it's a quick way to build a list fast....
          I've bought data for clients before where we were looking to target people who had recently been diagnosed with a medical condition.

          We couldn't get specific patient's data but we could data on people who had joined support groups for people with the condition or who had bought certain products that pre-indicated a susceptibility that they may be approaching a diagnosis.

          Obviously the more targeted the list the better and the more targeted list will cost you a lot more than what you paid for the volume you purchased but it does depend on how specific you want to get.

          We were using traditional direct mail to these prospects and trying to get engagement via several means including attending seminars, webinars, reading social posts, taking surveys etc.

          In that specific example the average conversion time was nearly nine months from point of first contact.

          One of the first things I would do is see how responsive the list to putting their hands up for something.

          If financial stuff maybe a paid survey to help narrow the prospect list and identify which funnel they should go down.

          What are their common beliefs that you can contradict to elicit a response?

          What will make them respond and go to a blog or social post so you can pixel them and retarget?

          Best regards,

          Ozi
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11059166].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author SARubin
            Originally Posted by Oziboomer View Post

            We couldn't get specific patient's data but we could data on people who had joined support groups for people with the condition or who had bought certain products that pre-indicated a susceptibility that they may be approaching a diagnosis.

            Obviously the more targeted the list the better and the more targeted list will cost you a lot more than what you paid for the volume you purchased but it does depend on how specific you want to get.
            Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say about "a warm lists for his type of product."

            Even though they've never purchased from you before, they've still bought something that relates to the same general category as yours. And that's a good start

            And the more recently they've bought... and the more times they've made a purchase... the hotter that name is likely to be.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11059802].message }}
            Signature

            SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Advertising and Marketing Aficionado

  • Profile picture of the author ThePromotionalGuy
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11058452].message }}

Trending Topics