Free Facebook Secure SSL Hosting

Profile picture of the author affirmwealth by affirmwealth Posted: 09/27/2011
I found a few sites online that are offering some free options, particularly:

How to make your Facebook Fan Page SSL Secure - For Free (Hostgator) : Pennys DIY Social Media

and

Free SSL Server for Facebook Fan Pages and Facebook Applications - WPFacePages

However, it seems that it is better if your fanpage is NOT hosted on WordPress to use these options. Or at least that is my understanding.

I'm wondering if it would be simpler to just create new non-WordPress based templates for my fanpages instead of going through the trouble and expense of the SSL certificates?

Thoughts?
#facebook #free #hosting #secure #ssl

  • Profile picture of the author danielkanuck
    danielkanuck
    Implementing SSL isn't hard to do. You can get an SSL certificate from Comodo for only $99 a year. Plus, if you had a Yahoo Webhosting account... you could put a Verisign Certified button on your custom fanpage for only $4/month.
  • Profile picture of the author affirmwealth
    affirmwealth
    But is that $99 per year just for one domain? It's my understanding that you cannot use the certificate for subdomains (and add-on domains, I'm assuming).
  • Profile picture of the author Danielm
    Danielm
    What is the difference between the SSL certificate for 9/year at Namecheap and the 99/year one from the same company?
  • Profile picture of the author mjbmedia
    mjbmedia
    knowing FB theyll change tack again in 2 months once theyve got a load of affiliate commissions in for the SSL certs ;-)
  • Profile picture of the author ImmediateAction
    ImmediateAction
    There's a very easy method to secure your Fanpage content - and it's free.

    I have secured my own WordPress Theme's Facebook page content using this method - so I can verify that it definately works, and it took literally under 10 minutes to set up.

    The method is using a Free service provided at Social-Server.com

    I wrote some instructions on how to use the service on another thread here on the WF - just do a search on here on the WF for "Facebook Emergency Action" and you'll find it... but otherwise if you go to the social-server.com site it is pretty easy to understand anyway
  • Profile picture of the author sadiecopywriter
    sadiecopywriter
    Originally Posted by Danielm View Post
    What is the difference between the SSL certificate for 9/year at Namecheap and the 99/year one from the same company?

    I just got one of those. The difference is all your pages have to be on one domain name only with the $9 one. With the $100 one, you can use it for ALL your subdomains on that main domain too.

    ex: subdomain.newdomain.com

    The second option is better if you are using it set up and manage fan pages for your clients using iframe technology. Subdomains (the $100 option) are generally easier than directories to work with (the $9 option). At least for me.
  • Profile picture of the author JR9982
    JR9982
    If you want another free solution you can try using this app

    https://apps.facebook.com/iframehost-d/

    and you can use any web page to display as your landing page.

    or if you want to use wordpress you can check out this video tutorial
    Facebook Welcome Pages Using IFrames and WordPress
  • Profile picture of the author themikerogers
    themikerogers
    Originally Posted by danielkanuck View Post
    Implementing SSL isn't hard to do. You can get an SSL certificate from Comodo for only $99 a year. Plus, if you had a Yahoo Webhosting account... you could put a Verisign Certified button on your custom fanpage for only $4/month.
    Hostgator charges $50/year for each SSL
  • Profile picture of the author andrewpeters
    andrewpeters
    Its not free they are charging for domain..
  • Profile picture of the author justinpaul
    justinpaul
    I was also searching about it, the information you given me will help me truly.
  • Profile picture of the author garyv
    garyv
    You can also get secure hosting here...
    Free Secure Hosting
  • Profile picture of the author oxonbeefs
    oxonbeefs
    Here you no need to worry or have any issue to migrate your files to new host. It just simple iframe from shorten service to get free SSL to cater FB requirement. Facebook SSL/ HTTPS
  • Profile picture of the author shikshaasagar
    shikshaasagar
    Good, It might be set up-full version.
  • Profile picture of the author go4wealth
    go4wealth
    GVO gives a free SSL certificate with all of their hosting accounts. I have used it with Facebook with no problem. however they do say it is best to get your own. They have hosting packages that start at $3.95 and come with a lot of free extras as you can see in my sig file below
  • Profile picture of the author wally247
    wally247
    Just get a domain like Facebook-Fan-Pages.info or something from namecheap.com and get your SSL from there. You'll pay a total of somewhere around $20 for the year and you will be able to use that domain for as many FB fan pages as you want.


    If you need great instructions on how to do the whole process, hit me up.
  • Profile picture of the author oxonbeefs
    oxonbeefs
    Originally Posted by wally247 View Post
    Just get a domain like Facebook-Fan-Pages.info or something from namecheap.com and get your SSL from there. You'll pay a total of somewhere around $20 for the year and you will be able to use that domain for as many FB fan pages as you want.


    If you need great instructions on how to do the whole process, hit me up.
    $20/year for a domain? Y not get a shortner service since this thread is free SSL Hosting.
  • Profile picture of the author wally247
    wally247
    Originally Posted by oxonbeefs View Post
    $20/year for a domain? Y not get a shortner service since this thread is free SSL Hosting.
    If free SSL worked really great, I bet more people would use it. But in my experience, it sucks and doesn't even work at all.


    $20/year for SSL is pretty cheap the way I do it. I don't know what you mean about a shortener service..

    Edit: The domain is like $4 a year or something at namecheap, you are paying for the SSL...and again, if free SSL was the best way to go, don't you think more people would use it?
  • Profile picture of the author oxonbeefs
    oxonbeefs
    Originally Posted by wally247 View Post
    If free SSL worked really great, I bet more people would use it. But in my experience, it sucks and doesn't even work at all.


    $20/year for SSL is pretty cheap the way I do it. I don't know what you mean about a shortener service..

    Edit: The domain is like $4 a year or something at namecheap, you are paying for the SSL...and again?
    Come on, $20 an domain guy, sorry, $4/domain. Please read properly what people are discussing. There is 2 key here for us to discuss. 1.FREE, 2 Facebook. So if your are discussing PAID SSL please don't come mess around to waste the time people who looking for free! I bet you not even run a multi-sub domains FACEBOOK APPS before so you not even know what link shortner service & secure canvas url is.

    if free SSL was the best way to go, don't you think more people would use it?
    You are wasting other people time post this question. You are out of topic and posting the fallacy about best in your own defination. Let me ask you a question. If your CHEAP SSL is the best way to go, don't you think more companies would use it compare to Verisign/ Digicert? I hope you know how dumb your question when other ask you back the same.
  • Profile picture of the author wally247
    wally247
    Originally Posted by oxonbeefs View Post
    Come on, $20 an domain guy, sorry, $4/domain. Please read properly what people are discussing. There is 2 key here for us to discuss. 1.FREE, 2 Facebook. So if your are discussing PAID SSL please don't come mess around to waste the time people who looking for free! I bet you not even run a multi-sub domains FACEBOOK APPS before so you not even know what link shortner service & secure canvas url is.

    1) Why do people refer to others as "Guy"...my old idiot boss did that.


    2) I SAID $20 FOR THE SSL...so WHY DO WARRIORS NOT READ ANYTHING EVER??????


    3) LEARN TO READ GUY!


    I know what you mean though. I've certainly never posted a question to WF and had a bunch of total dumbshits respond with something totally non relevant...so yea, I'm the first one to do it guy.


    If you READ my response, I said that FREE SSL sucks. That's why there aren't any good options...because it sucks. How do I know this? Because I've tried the free options and they DID NOT WORK.


    So I offered a paid one. Chill out dude, I'm FAR FROM the dumbest guy on WF on any given day, so don't lecture me on how to answer. I've had so many questions ruined here it's unreal.
  • Profile picture of the author oxonbeefs
    oxonbeefs
    Please elaborate why something sucks. Sorry, I say your answer suck because I said it suck? So what it suck at? Why suck? Again because I had read many suck answers.

    I had develop many facebook apps and I know what the most developers need and perhap you still don't know what they need. I said they not need any Cheap PAID SSL because most of their APP is a STATIC HTML. If you have a point I won't type like this. The problem is you don't have a point to stand with. Please don't come offer yourself for me/other to lecture again in this FREE FACEBOOK section.Thanks.

Related discussions