The easy way to creating a substantial monthly residual income using Linked In!

by 283 replies
I just came off a Skype chat with my friend who has recently set off travelling the world and is currently in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

He spent a lot of months saving before he went, so he's got a decent amount of cash but he wants to earn money through the internet while he is away, to extend his trip.

Luckily for him I was able to help. You see, I've been honing my new free give-away technique on Linked In, which has allowed me to bulid a significant monthly risudual, without cold calling! It has become so successful over the past few months that I am now about to make this strategy my primary focus because my goal from the outset has been to create a business that I can allow to run on autopilot, and this looks like it is going to do the trick.

So since I helped out Stu, I thought to myself this might be a good time to give something back to the community that has helped me leave my day job and work for myself full time for the past 8 months

So, for those who are unfamiliar, Linked In is the Business Facebook. There are around 115m users, a large number of whom are business owners. If you have ever been disappointed with the response you got from a direct mail or email campaign, you are going to be blown away by Linked In. Business owners will gladly speak to you, and best of all... NO GATEKEEPERS.

Without babbling on too much further, allow me to share the technique:

1. Create a fully fleshed out, 100% complete Linked In profile.

2. On Linked In, there are groups for every niche. Choose some Niches and join some groups. Try to choose groups with larger numbers of members.

3. Once in the groups select the "members" tab and filter to owners by entering something like "owner" or "director" into the search bar.

4. When you have done this you will now be looking at a list of potentially thousands of owners. Its time to make contact and you can do this by hovering your mouse over their entry and selecting the "send message" option

5. Before this though, you want to check out some profiles and find guys that either have no website or one that looks really crappy.

6. You now have a direct line of communication to the owner of said business, which could badly do with a new website. You are about to offer them something of great value free of charge, remember to make your first message conversational. Don't be spammy. Say hello, introduce yourself as a web designer who is looking to garner some recommendations, offer to do a website for their business with absolutely no charge for the design and development fee. Ask if they know anyone who this would benefit.

I usually send out about 50 messages in the early evening time. When I wake up the next day my inbox is usually bursting with all kinds of responses. Often you will get up to 10 people who want to take you up on the offer.

7. At this stage its up to you how much work you want to take on but what I do here is use the most simplistic but sharp looking Wordpress theme I can find (inkthemes or headway all the way for me) and rework some of the websites of those who have asked for help, and show them to the owner.

8. At this stage you will be heralded as a hero as long as the site looks fairly decent and its here that I like to get on the phone to the customer and build the value a bit more, explaining that they are saving themselves £800+ on design fees etc etc.

9. I then go on to telling them that the only thing I ask is that they allow me to host and maintain the site for a small fee of £35 per month. As long as you have done everything correctly and built the value of the site with the customer, you will have no problem at this stage.

Obviously not every customer goes for it, but the majority really don't mind the fee, because they are getting something HUGE that their business NEEDS and they are not paying for it.. The monthly fee is really insignificant, less than people pay for Sky TV over here. This is something their business needs to function properly.

10. Rinse and repeat this formula.

If you look at the Math, give away 5 free websites a week and you will be £700 a month after month one. £1400 after month 2. £4200 per month after 6 months.

I'd like to point out I'm not a technical whizz, I have a Hostgator package that allows me to host for the client and I use extremely simple but smart wordpress themes.

Anyone can do this.

The wordpress themes take me no more than an hour to set up and I have been doing this myself up until now because there isn't any substantial front end cash.

Going forward I intend to outsource most of this.

If you have any questions please feel free to holla at me and if you found this useful, please feel free to hit the thanks button :-)

**Edit: Wanted to add some proof the bottom of this post, so that first time readers can get some encouragement and hopefully more people will take action!

#offline marketing #creating #easy #income #linked #monthly #residual #substantial
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Parks
    I really like this method. Working with business owners by making connections with them online can have huge potential. Keep up the good work and thanks for the motivation!
    Signature

    Dream Big. Start Small.

  • Profile picture of the author JillBryant
    Wonderful,It is really a good way.
  • Profile picture of the author coredesign
    Originally Posted by PositiveVibe View Post

    If you look at the Math, give away 5 free websites a week and you will be £700 a month after month one. £1400 after month 2. £4200 per month after 6 months.
    Well, how much response do you get usually? How much they keep you busy whole week? And how much you are earning after giving them some free work?

    Also, I know PHP, CSS, MySql, Joomla, Drupal so how it would be useful for me?

    I am sorry if I have blasted questions on you.
    • Profile picture of the author StrategicCheetah
      Originally Posted by coredesign View Post

      Well, how much response do you get usually? How much they keep you busy whole week? And how much you are earning after giving them some free work?

      Also, I know PHP, CSS, MySql, Joomla, Drupal so how it would be useful for me?

      I am sorry if I have blasted questions on you.
      The response rate is great. I would find it hard to put a percentage on it but if I send 50 messages I generally get between 10-20 responses and 5-10 good responses you can run with.

      Yes you will absolutely get high maintenance people who want to take up all your time, but I weed them out at the start. You can see them coming a mile off

      If someone comes across as potentially problematic just apologise and tell them you are unable to help because you have already taken on your quota of work.

      You can establish this so easily at the start by gathering the content for the new site.

      1. If someone has a website currently and the content is fairly easy to extract, just ask them if its cool to use that. This is the ideal scenario.

      2. If they don't have a website or their current website is such a mess that you cannot decipher what they want their website to say, ask them to provide you with a word document with the content.

      I've found that if they are not willing to invest some time in putting together a word document, and expect you to do absolutely everything, they are not serious enough or want you to perform miracles for them.

      Either way, cut them loose

      I would say your web design skills would be an asset. I personally don't have any webdesign skills and do fine, but it can only help

      As for costs, as I said I charge £35 per month.
      Signature

      Precision beats power
      Timing beats speed

  • Profile picture of the author rachelle123
    Also you are initially telling them your giving them a website for free. no strings attached.. (I know we mean just programming and design, not hosting) but what do you say to the customer when they ask you this? Also when they say no to hosting do you still give them the site and let them host it themselves?
    Signature

    • Profile picture of the author StrategicCheetah
      Originally Posted by rachelle123 View Post

      Also you are initially telling them your giving them a website for free. no strings attached.. (I know we mean just programming and design, not hosting) but what do you say to the customer when they ask you this? Also when they say no to hosting do you still give them the site and let them host it themselves?
      I'm offering them a really nice website, I build it up quickly for those who are really keen and I explain there is a hosting cost before it goes live for them.

      Sometimes people do say no to the hosting cost. Depends on how nice they are whether they actually get the site that is sitting there ready to go

      You've got to remember, most people have no clue about hosting so if they like the site, allowing you to host it and keep it up to date is a no brainer for them.
      Signature

      Precision beats power
      Timing beats speed

  • Profile picture of the author Anthony
    Thanks. I have always thought of using this as another stream of making some income. Now that I read your thread, I think I will give it a try...
  • Profile picture of the author Micheal12
    Banned
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author jonnyq888
    This is great stuff. Thanks for sharing! I can think of a number of ways that you can add some backend services to this model.
    Signature

    • Profile picture of the author StrategicCheetah
      Originally Posted by jonnyq888 View Post

      This is great stuff. Thanks for sharing! I can think of a number of ways that you can add some backend services to this model.
      Absolutely
      Signature

      Precision beats power
      Timing beats speed

  • Profile picture of the author sdentrepreneur
    I have been active LinkedIn user for year. I would tread lightly on messaging 50 people per day, even if you are giving something away for free. LinkedIn is a very professional Social Network and will not tolerate people scraping through groups and messaging people. You will eventually get shut down.
    Here is how I use LinkedIn, I first use it as my own online resume and send potential business owners my LinkedIn profile if they need any recommendations of my services.
    When I do find a business owner/decision maker I want to connect with. I will engage them in a conversation and build a relationship with them. If they are local, I will meet them for coffee, lunch or happy hour ;-)
    You can play a much bigger game on LinkedIn IMO
    Signature

    Learn to become Digital, Internet and Social Media Marketing Consultant to Business Owners
    Click here to learn more - Internet, Digital and Social Media Marketing Training Course

    • Profile picture of the author StrategicCheetah
      Originally Posted by sdentrepreneur View Post

      I have been active LinkedIn user for year. I would tread lightly on messaging 50 people per day, even if you are giving something away for free. LinkedIn is a very professional Social Network and will not tolerate people scraping through groups and messaging people. You will eventually get shut down.
      Here is how I use LinkedIn, I first use it as my own online resume and send potential business owners my LinkedIn profile if they need any recommendations of my services.
      When I do find a business owner/decision maker I want to connect with. I will engage them in a conversation and build a relationship with them. If they are local, I will meet them for coffee, lunch or happy hour ;-)
      You can play a much bigger game on LinkedIn IMO
      Sorry, to be clear here, I didn't ever say to do 50 messages a day.

      More than anything else, you would be completely overwhelmed by the response, you would never have time to deal with that level of enquiry.

      50 once a week is more than enough to keep me real busy.

      So far I've had no issues with this
      Signature

      Precision beats power
      Timing beats speed

    • Profile picture of the author JBroyer44
      Originally Posted by sdentrepreneur View Post

      I have been active LinkedIn user for year. I would tread lightly on messaging 50 people per day, even if you are giving something away for free. LinkedIn is a very professional Social Network and will not tolerate people scraping through groups and messaging people. You will eventually get shut down.
      Here is how I use LinkedIn, I first use it as my own online resume and send potential business owners my LinkedIn profile if they need any recommendations of my services.
      When I do find a business owner/decision maker I want to connect with. I will engage them in a conversation and build a relationship with them. If they are local, I will meet them for coffee, lunch or happy hour ;-)
      You can play a much bigger game on LinkedIn IMO
      That right there is how you land the big fish James, and what I would like to use Linkedin for.
      Signature

      "The force is strong with this one"
      Facebook Ad Services: http://sellabletraffic.com

  • Profile picture of the author kymobilemedia
    This seems like a great method and model to follow.

    What do you think about calling local businesses, say that you are a new web designer starting out, and would like to build them a site with no design cost?

    Then introduce the monthly feefor hosting and maintenance.

    I am getting ready to start calling around my area using the pdf that was given here saying to call and say "I am a new web designer in town, and I am now open for business. Do you have a website, or planning any web projects? (or similar)"

    But that model points to a design cost.

    I wonder if this would work better for small businesses that only need a few pages of content, and minimal changes.

    I could give these sites away (design and domain free), and I would think I would get more business this way.

    Then, after I get some clients under my belt, start charging design cost....


    What do you think?


    Also, if they stop paying for the maintenance, do you take the site down since it is in your hosting account and the domain belongs to you?

    Thanks
    Jason
    • Profile picture of the author Danielm
      Originally Posted by kymobilemedia View Post


      I wonder if this would work better for small businesses that only need a few pages of content, and minimal changes.

      I could give these sites away (design and domain free), and I would think I would get more business this way.
      I would be cautious with the idea that small businesses only want a few pages and a quick template with no changes. I know it gets pushed in the WSO forum all the time but from what I've seen of local clients they like changes, revisions, etc, and just adding their name and a photo to a stock template isn't that amazing in 2011.
  • Profile picture of the author rachelle123
    Do you still give them the site if they don't want to host with you?
    Signature

  • Profile picture of the author Mike Grant
    To those that say no, send them to Host Gator with an affiliate link. It'll be cheaper for them, so the barrier of entry is much lower, but you'll also get $50+ each.
  • Profile picture of the author zoro
    I guess you could use this business model for building Fan Pages too?
    • Profile picture of the author StrategicCheetah
      Originally Posted by kymobilemedia View Post

      This seems like a great method and model to follow.

      What do you think about calling local businesses, say that you are a new web designer starting out, and would like to build them a site with no design cost?

      Then introduce the monthly feefor hosting and maintenance.

      I am getting ready to start calling around my area using the pdf that was given here saying to call and say "I am a new web designer in town, and I am now open for business. Do you have a website, or planning any web projects? (or similar)"

      But that model points to a design cost.

      I wonder if this would work better for small businesses that only need a few pages of content, and minimal changes.

      I could give these sites away (design and domain free), and I would think I would get more business this way.

      Then, after I get some clients under my belt, start charging design cost....


      What do you think?


      Also, if they stop paying for the maintenance, do you take the site down since it is in your hosting account and the domain belongs to you?

      Thanks
      Jason
      You can definitely do it by making phonecalls. It would probably speed up your progress somewhat as well.

      Originally Posted by rachelle123 View Post

      Do you still give them the site if they don't want to host with you?
      Depends how nice they are

      Originally Posted by agonce View Post

      yeah , I assume you will get those clients who always look to get a lot for very cheap. Unless you specify that you will charge based on updates, ie 4 or more updates cost this much, and so on, these clients will be pain in the butt.

      Also, I joined 2-3 groups on linkedIn but when I searched for 'owner' all I got was owners of marketing, web design and other kind of online marketing companies. I was not able to find many local B&M store owners. am I doing something wrong?

      AB
      Yeah I guess you must be Myself and anyone else I've spoken to have never had any problems. Make sure you are searching in the 'members' tab and in the search box in the left hand side.

      Originally Posted by Mike Grant View Post

      To those that say no, send them to Host Gator with an affiliate link. It'll be cheaper for them, so the barrier of entry is much lower, but you'll also get $50+ each.
      Great shout!

      Originally Posted by zoro View Post

      I guess you could use this business model for building Fan Pages too?
      Definitely.
      Signature

      Precision beats power
      Timing beats speed

  • Profile picture of the author kymobilemedia
    Do you have a sample web design contract that you are using for these clients? I need something that will outline that they get the design work free, and will be billed each month $35 for hosting and maintenance. Then, I will need to say that maintenance will cover very minimal changes to the site that take no longer than 1 hour per month, and have a set hourly rate for bigger changes they need.

    Thanks
    • Profile picture of the author StrategicCheetah
      I just design the website using Ink Themes or Headway in the space of an hour then show them the finished article with their logo and all. Thats much more powerful than showing them examples
      Signature

      Precision beats power
      Timing beats speed

  • Profile picture of the author jonpaulm
    Hi Positive,

    You have a really good model going there. Would you mind sharing your opening email to the business owners?

    All the best,

    JP
  • Profile picture of the author reigovilbiks
    how can you send 50 inmails a week if theres a 25 monthly limit?
    • Profile picture of the author unstoppableflow
      sounds good...I never knew you could do this with linked in!
    • Profile picture of the author electronik69
      Originally Posted by reigovilbiks View Post

      how can you send 50 inmails a week if theres a 25 monthly limit?
      Yeah I want to ask the same thing, either your creating multiple accounts, or your connecting with the business owners, or is there a hidden way that we don't know about?
      Signature
      If it doesn't sell, it isn't creative - David Ogilvy
  • Profile picture of the author electronik69
    Then you can up-sell them onto a local seo package after you have created the value!
    Signature
    If it doesn't sell, it isn't creative - David Ogilvy
  • Profile picture of the author reigovilbiks
    So the only cost for making these websites for you is paying for hosting and domain?
  • Profile picture of the author millionairemaker
    Banned
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
    HOLD ON ... HOLD ON ...

    What kind of websites are you offering here??
    • Profile picture of the author rnjonjo
      Originally Posted by iamchrisgreen View Post

      HOLD ON ... HOLD ON ...

      What kind of websites are you offering here??
      Originally Posted by PositiveVibe View Post

      7. At this stage its up to you how much work you want to take on but what I do here is use the most simplistic but sharp looking Wordpress theme I can find (inkthemes or headway all the way for me) and rework some of the websites of those who have asked for help, and show them to the owner.
      Chris,

      it seems he's offering fully fleshed out WORDPRESS sites to the biz owners. I also see you have a LinkedIn WSO out there.

      What is your experience on LinkedIn as regards to what the OP suggests here? Viable strategy or not?

      Thanks.
    • Profile picture of the author dtaylor
      Very clever.

      I am looking at trying out a couple of variations of this in the next few weeks.

      Thanks for sharing.

      DTaylor
    • Profile picture of the author magnoliamaven
      This sounds like a great idea. What kinds of industries does it work best in?

      Donna
      Signature

      Local Marketing Expert
      Houston Mortgage Brokers

  • Profile picture of the author Tsarina
    Looks like a viable concept, I like 100% online contacting. I would go for a narrow niche, like furniture stores for instance and have a pre-made website on my sub-domain and just have a their logo, info changed for each viewing. If the are game I would update rest of the site.
    Signature
    Dream like you will live forever, live like you will die tomorrow
    NEEDED: virtual assistant (VA)

Trending Topics