I obviously live in a city of about 300,000. I've got decent web design skills but not really wanting to try and find clients to build standard websites for. Not that I won't take on clients but I've never really liked the details that usually go along with building websites for businesses.
I've designed a few mobile sites and have read just about EVERYTHING on the forum about mobile marketing. I'd incorporate mobile websites, SMS or any other thing I could think of to sell to local businesses.
I love building websites for myself(Amazon affiliate) so I have thought about a local business directory, mobile website directory and/or local SEO empire(from a another forum thread).
- Tourism isn't really big here year round.
- This is the type of city people never leave so the locals are really local, meaning they know the city inside and out.
- The city is steadily growing.
- Restaurants are mostly big chains. Not many of the small cafe's or local pizza shops fighting for customers.
- Bars are pretty standard meaning the locals go where they go and even before I thought about offline marketing I couldn't remember the last time I had to look something up on my phone for the details because not much changes here.
- Business competition is not really something locals worry about here. Meaning the small jewelry store or the out of the way breakfast place is not having to compete with someone else for business.
There are 2 large Universities here and I have thought about building a list BUT how do you build a list when you have nothing to offer before you try and sell that list to local businesses? I think this might be the best way to make money by incorporating the massive influx of college students each year.
I've moved back home but have lived in big cities for 15 years. Should I maybe think about focusing on larger metropolitan areas that I know but are not necessarily where I live anymore?
Does anyone have examples of services, plans, etc that they are practicing right now in cities with about 300,000 people in them and making a FULL TIME living?
Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your time.