How To Make $125 A Day Recycling Wood Pallets

Profile picture of the author MartinBuckley by MartinBuckley Posted: 02/24/2012
This post is concise, but will walk you step-by-step into the the profitable business of wood pallet recycling. After your finished reading this article you'll be ready and able to start your own wood pallet recycling business.

Anyone can run a wood pallet recycling business and it's easy to get started. You can easily make $125 a day and there is virtually no expensive equipment to buy and you can get started with little to no money.

SUPPLIES NEEDED: There is only a few things you'll need to get started in your own wood pallet recycling business. A pick-up truck, a pair of work gloves, an electric drill, a hammer and some nails.

You might want to build up the sides of your pick-up truck, so you can haul more wood pallets per load. Keep in mind when your out collecting wood pallets you'll want to make as few trips as possible, which will help keep your gas expenses low and it save you time and that puts more money in your pocket.

FINDING WOOD PALLETS: Finding wood pallets to recycle in your area is much easier than you might think. Everywhere you go like department stores, malls, factories and any business that produces or sells large volumes of products you'll find wood pallets lying around.

When you find wood pallets simply go into the business and talk to the manager or owner and tell them that you will remove their wood pallets for free. They should be happy to give them to you, as most companies have to pay to have their wood pallets hauled off.

Explain to the manager or owner that you will stop by and pick up their wood pallets on a regular basis and by doing this you'll be establishing a route and a relationship with each company that you pick up wood pallets for and this way they won't give them away to anyone else.

Once you have collected all your wood pallets you'll need to sort them by size, because your customers buy wood pallets by size. For example a common size is 36"x48", so place all your wood pallets this size in one stack and by doing this it will make it easier for you to deliver the size your customers want.

REPAIRING WOOD PALLETS: Any broken wood pallets can be quickly repaired by simply taking the worse of your broken wood pallets apart and using the stock to repair the others. Most wood pallets are made from oak and oak that has been seasoned is very hard to nail through, so to get around this problem simply drill a small pilot hole for the nail. All broken planks on a wood pallet must be replaced before selling it.

SELLING YOUR WOOD PALLETS: Manufacturing companies in your area will buy your wood pallets. Simply call or visit each company and let them know you have wood pallets for sale. You can usually sell your used wood pallets to them for $2.50 to $3.50 each depending upon their condition and size. A busy company will order 50-100 pallets every week, so if you can get just 5 companies buying 50 wood pallets from you at $2.50 each, 5 days a week then you would earn $625 a week or $125 a day.

The wood pallets you can't sell to manufacturing companies can be sold to a local pallet company. You can find pallet companies listed in the phone book. Most wood pallet recyclers simply sell to a pallet company, because it's easier, but your profits will be less.

Once a company buys pallets from you there is no waiting to get paid. You'll get paid upon delivery. This is one of the great benefits of the wood pallet recycling business. Another benefit of the wood pallet business is that you are the boss and you choose your own work hours.

CLOSING COMMENTS: As you can see by reading this post the wood pallet recycling business is pretty easy to start and that anyone can do it that's willing to do a little work. You don't need a large investment like other business start-ups require and you can start making money right away.

I wish you much success in your new wood pallet recycling business!

Martin
#$125 #day #make #pallets #recycling #wood

  • Profile picture of the author Chuck Avants
    Chuck Avants
    Thanks for the good information.

    I see ads for free pallets all the time on Craigslist. You could pick up some this way also. Just check out the free section.
  • Profile picture of the author Dawn Wise
    Dawn Wise
    I drove by a construction site yesterday where there were about a half dozen empty pallets stacked by the side of the road.
  • Profile picture of the author eva dora
    eva dora
    $125 gross. You have to factor in the cost of gas, depreciation of your car, insurance etc...
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    Rus Sells
    A mention that a truck and trailer is required to make decent money at this as well.
  • Profile picture of the author Ihearttaters
    Ihearttaters
    Originally Posted by MartinBuckley View Post

    there is virtually no expensive equipment to buy and you can get started with little to no money.

    SUPPLIES NEEDED: A pick-up truck,
    Seems a little contradictory.
  • Profile picture of the author SalinaJohnson
    SalinaJohnson
    This is the business of sorting, refurbishing,and re manufacturing. and when ever you will research on such kinda business the you will find good chances . This type of business are always accented and easy to set up
  • Profile picture of the author Seantrepreneur
    Seantrepreneur
    Martin, you never cease to amazing me with your nontraditional ways to make money. Although they might seem a bit off the wall sometimes there is no auguring that if someone were to do this you can make some good money.

    If anything you provide people with hope knowing that they are never "stuck" and there will be SOMETHING they can do to make some cash.

    Keep it up!

    Sean
  • Profile picture of the author BillBert
    BillBert
    I love this forum for the postings such as this one... I probably will not pursue this opportunity, but none the less, I enjoyed hearing the idea and I may pass it on to some locals who are always looking for ideas.

    Thanks for sharing.
  • Profile picture of the author MartinBuckley
    MartinBuckley
    Sean,

    Thank you very much for the kind words.

    I really enjoy helping others learn ways to make extra money, which is why I share my ideas on this forum.

    All the best,

    Martin

    Originally Posted by Seantrepreneur View Post

    Martin, you never cease to amazing me with your nontraditional ways to make money. Although they might seem a bit off the wall sometimes there is no auguring that if someone were to do this you can make some good money.

    If anything you provide people with hope knowing that they are never "stuck" and there will be SOMETHING they can do to make some cash.

    Keep it up!

    Sean
  • Profile picture of the author fouzie
    fouzie
    Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

    A mention that a truck and trailer is required to make decent money at this as well.
    Originally Posted by Ihearttaters View Post

    Seems a little contradictory.
    I think, you could rent or maybe borrow from someone you know and trust you
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
    Michael Ten
    This seems like a great idea. It is too bad I do not own a truck. Lolol.
  • Profile picture of the author MartinBuckley
    MartinBuckley
    I would like to add that besides selling pallets, that if you are handy and creative minded you can use the pallets for the wood and turn them into furnture, such as a friend of mine used to make a killing turning pallets into futon frames and selling them to college kids cheap and he had a commission deal set up with a local bedding store to offer the futon mattress to college students at a discounted price if they bought from him.

    I just wanted to share this idea as another way to make money with pallets.

    To your success,

    Martin
  • Profile picture of the author ryanmckinney
    ryanmckinney
    Originally Posted by Seantrepreneur View Post

    Martin, you never cease to amazing me with your nontraditional ways to make money. Although they might seem a bit off the wall sometimes there is no auguring that if someone were to do this you can make some good money.

    If anything you provide people with hope knowing that they are never "stuck" and there will be SOMETHING they can do to make some cash.

    Keep it up!

    Sean

    To piggy-back off of Sean:

    This guy is like the Jack of All trades when it comes of ways to make money!

    If you already have the "supplies" (LOL at listing the truck), then you would be good to go! (Seemingly)

    Ryan
  • Profile picture of the author dre332
    dre332
    Martin, this post is awesome! This has to be one of the easiest offline businesses to start.. Apart from a lemonade stand lol
  • Profile picture of the author MartinBuckley
    MartinBuckley
    ryanmckinney,

    Thanks for the compliment.

    My mind is always thinking of out of the box money making ideas and I enjoy sharing my ideas on this forum and in my new wso.

    All the best,

    Martin
  • Profile picture of the author b5willi
    b5willi
    What about renting a U-Haul trailer or a truck?? so you wouldnt have to deal with messing up your vehicle.. what you guys think?
  • Profile picture of the author MartinBuckley
    MartinBuckley
    Lol, I remeber my first lemonade stand, I was my best customer

    I'm happy you like my idea and I hope you can make use of it and profit from it.

    All the best,

    Martin

    Originally Posted by dre332 View Post

    Martin, this post is awesome! This has to be one of the easiest offline businesses to start.. Apart from a lemonade stand lol
  • Profile picture of the author MartinBuckley
    MartinBuckley
    b5willi,

    Yes, you could rent a U-Haul or a truck, but you have to figure out the cost of renting the truck and find out the price per pallet you can get in your area and determine if it worth the time and money to even rent a truck or u-haul.

    All the best,

    Martin

    Originally Posted by b5willi View Post

    What about renting a U-Haul trailer or a truck?? so you wouldnt have to deal with messing up your vehicle.. what you guys think?
  • Profile picture of the author Zooky
    Zooky
    Just to confirm the viability of this idea. A few years ago a friend of mine was in desperate need to start earning some money. (The lady he'd lived off for the previous decade finally had enough!) I work in the transport industry knew about used pallets being a source of cash for drivers and had a chat with him about doing this. After overcoming his doubts about having to get his hands dirty and go out and work, I took him to a pallet yard where they confirmed the prices they would pay for pallets.

    The OP suggests a truck but here in the UK a small trailer can carry sufficient pallets to get you going, and it is a lot less to buy. In my friend's case I just happened to have a trailer he could use.... In the UK the used pallet market centres around two sizes of pallet; standards and euro's. Standards are 48"x40" (120x100cms) and euro's are 48"x39" (120x80cms). Within those two brief designations are then dozens of specifications, particularly for the standards. If anyone looks into this seriously they will quickly pick up the main ones. It does help to understand completely when talking to a prospective customer just what specification he means, you don't want to hot foot it down to him with a full load of Stds only to find out you got completely the wrong spec.

    This is why I would suggest in the first instance you concentrate on selling to the pallet yards, for the following reasons. Instant cash! They advertise with road side signs that they pay cash for pallets! No going looking for customers, then looking for your pallets. Just go find some pallets, take them into the pallet yard, get paid cash on the spot. Additionally, you learn as you go along, a euro is stamped "EURO" on the corner blocks as well as having the SNCF or DB (usually) stamped on for the French and German rail networks. Any other 120x80 pallets will be referred to as either euro nonstamped or euro lightweights and be paid less for accordingly. At the time of writing stamped euro's are worth between £1.00 and £2.50 each at the pallet yards; non-stamped between .50p and a pound. Standards are worth between .50p and £1.75 depending on spec and availability. A further advantage of the pallet yards is you can call in with a small quantity, eg 5 or 10 and get paid. Go fuel up and go get some more. (The fuel can be diesel or a breakfast!) Real subsistence work if needs must. A further point if you are in a large city or conurbation, there will be several yards to choose from, and prices will vary. So do your homework, some yards will do a quick count and payout purely for the pallets counted, others will take them off and check each one and pay you on a sliding scale according to spec and condition. You then learn which one to go to according to the load.

    So on day 1 you can go out and start to earn cash. In respect of sourcing your stock, a few words of advice. Try to identify companies who receive stock on pallets but don't then re-use them for onward shipment to their clients. So retailers in all environments; the high street, the suburbs and the shopping centres. Often it is not a management decision on how to dispose of these surplus pallets; the warehouseman, the fork lift driver etc. Be aware that these guys often have a pretty good idea of the value of the pallets.... so be prepared to go 50/50 with them. After all if you can be made aware of when they will have pallets available, kept inside dry and clean, loaded by the fork lift, no brainer. (Obviously you only pay for undamaged pallets, the damaged ones you will "reluctantly" take away as a favour ;-) Also you can quote the prices the nearest pallet yard pays, if it is to your advantage....

    For some companies empty pallets are a PITA, for them you are a godsend. Be aware that many will expect you to remove all their pallets, including the non standard ones. It is a judgement call depending on how many saleable pallets they have, but, don't let them use you as a waste disposal company for all their broken and unrepairable pallets. Politely point out that you can't accept what should go in a recycling skip, but that you will take all their good or repairable pallets. Those non standards can be used as a source of a firewood sideline or, as mentioned above, turn them into something else - furniture, fencing, compost bins, w.h.y?

    My friend did this for 12 years as his only regular source of income. He would pipe dream with me of getting his own pallet yard, and direct customers, and having artics coming in with 500 pallets on which he could instantly resell without touching them, oh what a life. In reality as soon as he'd earned £50-60 in a day he'd head home. That was usually within 2-4 hours. I never knew him to start before 10:30am. In the end he wooed back his lady friend, and married her, well, she had bought 10 buy-to-let houses while they were apart! Oh, and he's still got my trailer!
  • Profile picture of the author MartinBuckley
    MartinBuckley
    Zooky,

    Thank you very much for sharing your story and the viability of making money with pallets.

    All the best,

    Martin

    Originally Posted by Zooky View Post

    Just to confirm the viability of this idea. A few years ago a friend of mine was in desperate need to start earning some money. (The lady he'd lived off for the previous decade finally had enough!) I work in the transport industry knew about used pallets being a source of cash for drivers and had a chat with him about doing this. After overcoming his doubts about having to get his hands dirty and go out and work, I took him to a pallet yard where they confirmed the prices they would pay for pallets.

    The OP suggests a truck but here in the UK a small trailer can carry sufficient pallets to get you going, and it is a lot less to buy. In my friend's case I just happened to have a trailer he could use.... In the UK the used pallet market centres around two sizes of pallet; standards and euro's. Standards are 48"x40" (120x100cms) and euro's are 48"x39" (120x80cms). Within those two brief designations are then dozens of specifications, particularly for the standards. If anyone looks into this seriously they will quickly pick up the main ones. It does help to understand completely when talking to a prospective customer just what specification he means, you don't want to hot foot it down to him with a full load of Stds only to find out you got completely the wrong spec.

    This is why I would suggest in the first instance you concentrate on selling to the pallet yards, for the following reasons. Instant cash! They advertise with road side signs that they pay cash for pallets! No going looking for customers, then looking for your pallets. Just go find some pallets, take them into the pallet yard, get paid cash on the spot. Additionally, you learn as you go along, a euro is stamped "EURO" on the corner blocks as well as having the SNCF or DB (usually) stamped on for the French and German rail networks. Any other 120x80 pallets will be referred to as either euro nonstamped or euro lightweights and be paid less for accordingly. At the time of writing stamped euro's are worth between £1.00 and £2.50 each at the pallet yards; non-stamped between .50p and a pound. Standards are worth between .50p and £1.75 depending on spec and availability. A further advantage of the pallet yards is you can call in with a small quantity, eg 5 or 10 and get paid. Go fuel up and go get some more. (The fuel can be diesel or a breakfast!) Real subsistence work if needs must. A further point if you are in a large city or conurbation, there will be several yards to choose from, and prices will vary. So do your homework, some yards will do a quick count and payout purely for the pallets counted, others will take them off and check each one and pay you on a sliding scale according to spec and condition. You then learn which one to go to according to the load.

    So on day 1 you can go out and start to earn cash. In respect of sourcing your stock, a few words of advice. Try to identify companies who receive stock on pallets but don't then re-use them for onward shipment to their clients. So retailers in all environments; the high street, the suburbs and the shopping centres. Often it is not a management decision on how to dispose of these surplus pallets; the warehouseman, the fork lift driver etc. Be aware that these guys often have a pretty good idea of the value of the pallets.... so be prepared to go 50/50 with them. After all if you can be made aware of when they will have pallets available, kept inside dry and clean, loaded by the fork lift, no brainer. (Obviously you only pay for undamaged pallets, the damaged ones you will "reluctantly" take away as a favour ;-) Also you can quote the prices the nearest pallet yard pays, if it is to your advantage....

    For some companies empty pallets are a PITA, for them you are a godsend. Be aware that many will expect you to remove all their pallets, including the non standard ones. It is a judgement call depending on how many saleable pallets they have, but, don't let them use you as a waste disposal company for all their broken and unrepairable pallets. Politely point out that you can't accept what should go in a recycling skip, but that you will take all their good or repairable pallets. Those non standards can be used as a source of a firewood sideline or, as mentioned above, turn them into something else - furniture, fencing, compost bins, w.h.y?

    My friend did this for 12 years as his only regular source of income. He would pipe dream with me of getting his own pallet yard, and direct customers, and having artics coming in with 500 pallets on which he could instantly resell without touching them, oh what a life. In reality as soon as he'd earned £50-60 in a day he'd head home. That was usually within 2-4 hours. I never knew him to start before 10:30am. In the end he wooed back his lady friend, and married her, well, she had bought 10 buy-to-let houses while they were apart! Oh, and he's still got my trailer!

Related discussions