Idea: making $1000/month renting .AM and .FM domains to radio stations

Profile picture of the author misc92 by
IDEA: Rent .AM and .FM domains to local radio stations... each domain name costs you $99 / year and you rent it for $1000/month

Find a local radio station, lets say "love 92.3 FM", you purchase 923.FM and pitch them how easy it would be to market said domain.

You rent it out to them for $1000 USD / month.
#offline marketing #$1 or month #domains #idea #making #radio #renting #stations

  • Profile picture of the author Zesh
    Can you expand a bit more on this idea?

    Cheers
  • Profile picture of the author FormerWageSlave
    Let me see if I have this business plan down...

    Step 1: Buy expensive domain

    Step 2: ????

    Step 3: Profit!

    Does that about sum it up? Genius!
  • Profile picture of the author PeacefulCalamity
    Why wouldn't a well established radio station have a site already?

    Elaborate please.
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Originally Posted by PeacefulCalamity View Post

    Why wouldn't a well established radio station have a site already?

    Elaborate please.
    I can see value added... but good luck with all that. Clearchannel isn't easy to deal with... and other stations aren't much easier.

    You'd think if a major station were going to do it, their marketing director or someone in the chain would have done it.
  • Profile picture of the author agonce
    1000$ a month would be wayyy too much. Maybe 1000$ per year, or just selling it for a certain amount to the radio station can work.

    Let us know the results if you proceed with this idea
  • Profile picture of the author misc92
    Originally Posted by PeacefulCalamity View Post

    Why wouldn't a well established radio station have a site already?

    Elaborate please.

    Well established radio stations already have a website but this is an added value domain. It is a easily marketable website name.
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Originally Posted by misc92 View Post

    Well established radio stations already have a website but this is an added value domain. It is a easily marketable website name.
    Not really though.. nobody knows about those TLD's. The true value, in my opinion isn't there. I'm not questioning perceived value though.

    It's like comparing a .info to a .com...
  • Profile picture of the author beeswarn
    You may have difficulty when a station asserts a trademark on its call letters or frequency designation and its law firm sends you a very nasty letter demanding that you turn the domain name over.

    Radio and TV stations deal in trademark law every day, and they're not babes in the woods.

    If you proceed, I recommend you charge your first client a million dollars a month, and keep it all in reserve to pay your legal bills.
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Originally Posted by beeswarn View Post

    You may have difficulty when a station asserts a trademark on its call letters or frequency designation and its law firm sends you a very nasty letter demanding that you turn the domain name over.

    Radio and TV stations deal in trademark law every day, and they're not babes in the woods.

    If you proceed, I recommend you charge your first client a million dollars a month, and keep it all in reserve to pay your legal bills.
    Good point, I didn't even think of that at first. When there is a trademark or a company believes you're violating their copyright somehow.. you can be in a bit of trouble.

    Wanting to sell it because you think they can see value? And you think they wouldn't go to court over some small chunk of change? Wrong.. they will go to court over a few hundred bucks, because you're going to be the one that will have a judgement having to pay it.. and on top of that, your domain will be stripped and sent off to them anyway.
  • Profile picture of the author sandalwood
    Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

    Good point, I didn't even think of that at first. When there is a trademark or a company believes you're violating their copyright somehow.. you can be in a bit of trouble.

    Wanting to sell it because you think they can see value? And you think they wouldn't go to court over some small chunk of change? Wrong.. they will go to court over a few hundred bucks, because you're going to be the one that will have a judgement having to pay it.. and on top of that, your domain will be stripped and sent off to them anyway.
    Iamnameless,

    What you said in your last paragraph is absolutely true. The law changed during Monica's, oops I mean Bill Clinton's term if memory serves. The big boys didn't like the idea that some little fish could buy their name so they had big brother step in and "protect" them from intruders.

    Other than that the idea still doesn't have any merit according to me...

    Tom
  • Profile picture of the author MegaPackBiz
    Well this is a good domain flipping method tho is best to charge for it and not rent(because if any1 opens that owner`s eyes u get into troubles) but all in all its a good method to make some pretty fast cash
  • Profile picture of the author msu
    Another issue is that in the example the OP gave 923 is not an exact match for the callsign or name of the station. So why would they pay for 923.fm?
  • Profile picture of the author bhuff85
    Don't all of the major radio stations out there already have a website? What would the advantage be of having a .fm or .am site if they already have an easy to remember .com website that they currently use?

    I commend you for thinking of ways to generate revenue offline, but I don't see how another website would be useful for radio stations who already have one.
  • Profile picture of the author Zesh
    Cool thread.

    Do you think there is a huge market for something like this? I mean radio sites are everywhere but will they really pay for a .fm domain name?
  • Profile picture of the author Freedom66K
    Nobody wants to rent a domain. What kind of business gets a new phone number every month? Destroys the point of having it in the first place.
  • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
    I don't see the value in this at all.

    AM is for news and sports radio. So no one thinks of 96.9 FM they think merely of 96.9 aka 97X. Why would they want .fm when what they really want is 97X.com cause that is how they are branded.

    We have a 101.3 that is known as Kiss FM too so they might want Kiss.fm but KissFM.com is what they would really want. They have 1013kissfm.com right now.
  • Profile picture of the author midasman09
    Why not think about "Renting" what I call...."EGO" Domains!

    Example: ToledosBestDentist.com.... or....DenversBestPlumber.com...or...PortlandsBestR ealtor.com...etc

    These are simply Domains that go on Business Cards, Letterheads or in their regular advertising. They do NOT need to have a website or backlinks or SEO....just a RE-Direct to the Main Site!

    These are used to "Paint an Image" of the business using them. They need to have NOTHING to do with bringing Traffic....simply used for "EGO" of the businesses!

    I'm going to see what a business would be willing to pay for one of these "Ego" domains.

    I'm thinking these could be RENTED for;
    $450 for 3 mos ($150/mo)
    $750 for 6 mos (1 mo free)
    $1500 for 12 mos (2 mos free)

    Now....it'd be NICE to have 100 businesses paying $450 every 3 mos!

    or....$1500 a Year!

    Don Alm....possibility guy

Next Topics on Trending Feed