How Much Do You Charge For Website Development For Your Offline/Local Clients

Profile picture of the author lirikh by lirikh Posted: 11/01/2012
Hey,

I'm researching about the market price for website development.

If you would like to share, please post in this thread by including what type of website you built (ex: WordPress), the niche (ex: Dentist) and the price you charged your client for.

When I first started, I charged 500$ for a WordPress website for a photographer. I now charge minimum 800$ up to 1,500$ for again WordPress websites but depending on the number of functionalities my clients ask me.
#charge #clients #development #offline or local #website

  • Profile picture of the author Baadier Sydow
    Baadier Sydow
    I charge $1000+ as a minimum and the price does increase with additional perceived functionality. I dont compromise on price going downwards which can be frustrating. I recently walked away from a small wealth management firm and 5 star guest house.

    I don't like walking away from business, especially when its the type of client I "want to do" but I value my time and will budge on that.
  • Profile picture of the author lirikh
    lirikh
    Originally Posted by Baadier Sydow View Post
    I charge $1000+ as a minimum and the price does increase with additional perceived functionality. I dont compromise on price going downwards which can be frustrating. I recently walked away from a small wealth management firm and 5 star guest house.

    I don't like walking away from business, especially when its the type of client I "want to do" but I value my time and will budge on that.
    Not bad, can you share your profit margin? That would really help me grasp the pricing.
  • Profile picture of the author IMnetrepreneur
    IMnetrepreneur
    Start with how much you would do it on an hourly basis then offer that.. then get the average fee for when u want to price it as a one-time fee.
  • Profile picture of the author HimanshuS
    HimanshuS
    The price may depend upon the local alternatives available to the client.
  • Profile picture of the author Baadier Sydow
    Baadier Sydow
    Originally Posted by lirikh View Post
    Not bad, can you share your profit margin? That would really help me grasp the pricing.
    The profit margin is high as I do most of the setup myself. When I start projects I take 50% upfront and 50% on completion. My belief is that the upfront should cover any expenses and it never comes close.

    Bare in mind that things would be expensive if I factor in my consultancy fee that I would charge clients. This is the one of the teething issues I've had with my business.

    I read a fascinating article the other day that adequately explained this exact dilimna.

    I'm using statistics from South Africa here. If you work 5 days a week and 9am-5pm and then charge for those hours, you will end up with 1980 hours that can be billable in a year. This factors in public holidays and weekends etc.

    Your business profitability is closely related to how close you can get to your max earning potential.

    For example(I will be using dollars here for ease of reading):

    If you charge $15/hour to your clients:

    $15 x 1980 hours = $29,700 Turnover Potential

    If you charge $20/hour to your clients:

    $20 x 1980 hours = $39,600 Turnover Potential

    If you charge $25/hour to your clients:

    $25 x 1980 hours = $49,500 Turnover Potential

    These are hypothetical hourly rates that could be charged. How close are you getting to your possible income targets if you work out the total billable hours. You should use this percentage to see how close you are to reaching your business potential.

    One of the biggest mistakes I made when I started my first business was treating the business as my own personal piggy bank. While I was the driving force of the business, I was also the parasite that was killing it from within.

    Its important to follow solid business practice when managing your business. Educate yourself on business fundamentals and optimize your business for success.

    When it comes to pricing, evaluate where you want to position yourself in the market. Your price is just as much a statemant about your status as it is about your quality.

    If you come in at low cost, the perception is that you are a low cost designer. I deliberately chose an amount which is expensive by South African standards.

    Im competing against guys that are charging between $180-$450 and I use my "quality work" as my unique selling proposition. Your USP is something you should be thinking about too.

    Naturally you should make sure all your costs are covered too when pricing. Another important consideration is perceived value. Depending on the services that you offer beyond website development, you should evaluate what the perceived value of that offering is and then price accordingly.

    Decide on a pricing structure and be consistent. Dont compromise, you change the dynamic of the relationship.
  • Profile picture of the author gabysanchez225
    gabysanchez225
    I, in my inception, made wordpress sites for around 700 dollars but they were almost always simple and took no longer than 2 days to create. A portfolio speaks volumes and also allows you to take on bigger projects; your client will see what you capable of and hire you based on merit.
  • Profile picture of the author Baadier Sydow
    Baadier Sydow
    Originally Posted by STaylor View Post
    I have a piggy back question for Baadier, if you don't mind.

    What, specifically, do you include in that $1k price? Do you whip out a blank Notepad++ file and get to typing, do you use templates (yours or others), or focus on customizing, etc? Do you do both coding and design or ?

    I did a few freelance jobs awhile back and it's so damn time consuming it took all the pleasure out of it. Then there's the whole "can you make the background a big space ship image and 40pt yellow blinking fonts instead?" mentality that I had to draw a line with. It's fine telling them not a chance in hell will I do that, but then you're being paid to give them what they want, even if what they want sucks. In the end, to cater to what they want in those cases, it's a reflection on me and it'd be my name/brand attached to the headache and people would assume I suck. I finally quit taking on freelance works.

    But, I'm considering offering a less painful solution and use themes I can tweak and customize. I'd just as soon hurl myself off a bridge than to do another html site at this point!

    How would you set up a package of services that'd be worth about $499 a job? What would you suggest including if that's a minimum price baseline?

    Thanks
    Keep in mind that you can charge whatever you like for your service and their is no need to box it into some specific price point. I use wordpress to build my sites and would generally include any plugin that provides functionality the client deems necessary.

    Bare in mind that in 90% of the cases you are dealing with the same type of plugins for clients. They want to show video's, have a gallery, a like button etc

    These things are super simple for us but have a higher perceived worth to the clients.

    For my clients, which I charge $1000+, I always provide a responsive theme. I don't see the need to charge them for a mobile site and this adaptive functionality is an important selling point to them that many of my competition will not take advantage of.

    To give you an example of cases where I have charged more than $1000.

    A client wanted to have multiple languages on the site and have it human translated. I chose the most recommended WordPress plugin on the market and the client provided the translations.

    Another example would be a client that wanted an eCommerce solution where I charged plus minus $2000 for the increased functionality and providing a secure environment for their business. I used woocommerce to build this.

    I purchase all my sites from WordPress theme markets and I very rarely customize it too much beyond the colors and customer branding. I give them 2 options when I do a proposal for them. I edit out anything that can trace the source of the image to a marketplace or developer to prevent circumvention.

    Here are some of the the theme markets I use with themeforest being the most often used of the bunch.

    Premium WordPress Themes | Premium Templates | Mojo Themes
    WooThemes | Premium WordPress Themes & Plugins
    WordPress Themes Loved By Over 150k Customers
    Premium WordPress Themes by StudioPress
    http://press75.com/
    Premium Professional WordPress Themes | Theme Trust
    WPZOOM
    Premium WordPress Themes and WordPress Templates | ThemeFuse
    WordPress Templates | Organic Themes
    Themify : Awesome WordPress Themes
    Business WordPress Themes - BizzThemes
    Premium WordPress Plugins at WP Plugins - A plugin marketplace
    Themescroller.com - A better way to find wordpress themes
    Free WordPress Themes | Facebook Page Editor | WP Themes Free. Generate Leads and Sign Ups on Your WordPress Blog or Website with Leadtheme for WordPress.

    I've just copied and pasted that list from my bookmarks, so their could be sites in their that dont work for whatever reason.

    You are free to charge whatever you like for your work and still generate a cost profit. By that I mean, that your expenses will be adequately covered by your revenue. This however does not factor in the cost of your time and that's where people undermine their businesses.

    You get guys charging a $100 for a site which is fine if the site is done in an hour but it invariably isn't and who pays for all the back and forth.. you do if you don't quote a fair price. When i say fair, im specifically talking about your business. I don't care if the price is fair to me or the customer, my concern is whether its fair to the business.

    I used to work the way you are and went through the same frustration with nitpicking clients. This was what I did to combat it. I don't like letting money slip through but I have to be fair to my business.

    Originally Posted by gabysanchez225 View Post
    I, in my inception, made wordpress sites for around 700 dollars but they were almost always simple and took no longer than 2 days to create. A portfolio speaks volumes and also allows you to take on bigger projects; your client will see what you capable of and hire you based on merit.
    I think you were lucky, the sites I've been involved with have always taken at least 2 weeks to get put together. Waiting for content and constantly communicating your needs with clients. I use Freedcamp to manage this aspect of the business. This helps speed things up as business owners can take forever to get back to you with things.

    I had one business owner tell me that this week they would focus on opening up a twitter account and then next week they would setup a facebook fanpage. So they needed a whole 2 weeks for what should take less than 5 minutes.
  • Profile picture of the author PrestonSr
    PrestonSr
    Originally Posted by Baadier Sydow View Post
    Keep in mind that you can charge whatever you like for your service and their is no need to box it into some specific price point. I use wordpress to build my sites and would generally include any plugin that provides functionality the client deems necessary.

    Bare in mind that in 90% of the cases you are dealing with the same type of plugins for clients. They want to show video's, have a gallery, a like button etc

    These things are super simple for us but have a higher perceived worth to the clients.

    For my clients, which I charge $1000+, I always provide a responsive theme. I don't see the need to charge them for a mobile site and this adaptive functionality is an important selling point to them that many of my competition will not take advantage of.

    To give you an example of cases where I have charged more than $1000.

    A client wanted to have multiple languages on the site and have it human translated. I chose the most recommended WordPress plugin on the market and the client provided the translations.

    Another example would be a client that wanted an eCommerce solution where I charged plus minus $2000 for the increased functionality and providing a secure environment for their business. I used woocommerce to build this.

    I purchase all my sites from WordPress theme markets and I very rarely customize it too much beyond the colors and customer branding. I give them 2 options when I do a proposal for them. I edit out anything that can trace the source of the image to a marketplace or developer to prevent circumvention.

    Here are some of the the theme markets I use with themeforest being the most often used of the bunch.

    Premium WordPress Themes | Premium Templates | Mojo Themes
    WooThemes | Premium WordPress Themes & Plugins
    WordPress Themes Loved By Over 150k Customers
    Premium WordPress Themes by StudioPress
    Premium WordPress Themes by Press75
    Premium Professional WordPress Themes | Theme Trust
    WPZOOM
    Premium WordPress Themes and WordPress Templates | ThemeFuse
    WordPress Templates | Organic Themes
    Themify : Awesome WordPress Themes
    Business WordPress Themes - BizzThemes
    Premium WordPress Plugins at WP Plugins - A plugin marketplace
    Themescroller.com - A better way to find wordpress themes
    Free WordPress Themes | Facebook Page Editor | WP Themes Free. Generate Leads and Sign Ups on Your WordPress Blog or Website with Leadtheme for WordPress.

    I've just copied and pasted that list from my bookmarks, so their could be sites in their that dont work for whatever reason.

    You are free to charge whatever you like for your work and still generate a cost profit. By that I mean, that your expenses will be adequately covered by your revenue. This however does not factor in the cost of your time and that's where people undermine their businesses.

    You get guys charging a $100 for a site which is fine if the site is done in an hour but it invariably isn't and who pays for all the back and forth.. you do if you don't quote a fair price. When i say fair, im specifically talking about your business. I don't care if the price is fair to me or the customer, my concern is whether its fair to the business.

    I used to work the way you are and went through the same frustration with nitpicking clients. This was what I did to combat it. I don't like letting money slip through but I have to be fair to my business.



    I think you were lucky, the sites I've been involved with have always taken at least 2 weeks to get put together. Waiting for content and constantly communicating your needs with clients. I use Freedcamp to manage this aspect of the business. This helps speed things up as business owners can take forever to get back to you with things.

    I had one business owner tell me that this week they would focus on opening up a twitter account and then next week they would setup a facebook fanpage. So they needed a whole 2 weeks for what should take less than 5 minutes.
    Thank you for sharing your strategy

    I never considered widely that putting lower prices for services could lower your credibilty..I think I will add my rates and see what I happens
  • Profile picture of the author tjonesga
    tjonesga
    The simple answer is this:

    If you are working all day everyday then your prices are to low.

    If you are working a few minutes a day then your prices are to high.

    Here are some ideas to follow along the way:

    the more you build the faster you can.
    the faster you can the easier it gets
    the easier it gets the more you can do
    the more you can do the more money you make
    the more money you make the more time off you have
    the more time off you have the better your lifestyle.

    Paramount, build a very large list of clients. every heard of Walmart? Microsoft? Warren Buffet?

    All the above make a little on each sale, they all have millions of customers, the more customers you have the more misstakes you can make before failure of the business. One customer = one mistake = fired!! oh no.

    Just saying.....nobody can tell you what to charge. But putting out a price point then saying that you will not work for less is silly, and pompous. Beware of saying what you willl not do.

    Hope this helps!
  • Profile picture of the author krtheriault
    krtheriault
    I charge $800-$1,000 to build a 4-5 page website - This includes their first year of hosting.
  • Profile picture of the author jimzimm
    jimzimm
    For a simple 4-5 page site, $750. For a re-design of an existing site, which is my main business, $1,000 to $2,000, depending on complexity. The best part of design, or re-design services is that they open up so many doors for additional services, such as hosting, mobile sites, SEO, autoresponder and newsletter services, test messaging, and so many more. The rapport that you build up with your customers will go along way to making them extremely valuable long term clients.
  • Profile picture of the author momakmak
    momakmak
    I dont know how long you guys have been doing this for? I have experience building websites for about 5 years but I have started doing websites as a business about 6 months ago and I have a terrible time trying to get $500 from someone.

    My sites are not terrible either. I have seen a lot of crap sites and I am far from them. I use premium wordpress themes and custom logo designs. My sites are bling and get leads. I have done on page seo tweaks so well that I have immediately hit first page for clients without backlinking. So I think I know what I am doing.

    Lately it has been so rough that I have started charging as low as 300$.

    What the hell am I not doing that you guys are?
  • Profile picture of the author jimzimm
    jimzimm
    Is your pricing based on your competition, or the perceived value of your customers? If your competition is charging that little, you most likely have no choice but to sell at a low price. If it is the perceived valule that your customer is putting on a new, lead generating website, you may have to do some educating to you clients.

    If that is the going price in your area, remember there is a lot of money to be made in associated services. There are so many other services that you can sell, and if your sites are as good as you say, you should be building up a great reputation and have a list of happy clients. Sometimes the money is not made up front, but on the back end.
  • Profile picture of the author TurnKeyShane
    TurnKeyShane
    We charge two ways. First is a higher price and thats all they pay unless they want hosting or additional options. Usually $1300 and up

    The second is a lower up front $500 and up depending on the site with a monthly fee of $50 and up depending on the site as long as the site is being used. I throw in a couple hours of site maintenance per month along with hosting which usually isn't used. This monthly fee is higher here then if they opt in to the one in option one.

    I'm also willing to break the site cost up into payments as well on large projects. I have one highly customized site for $5K that I broke into monthly payments of $1000 a month.
  • Profile picture of the author WeavingThoughts
    WeavingThoughts
    Never charge hourly, especially to offline clients. Most people build Wordpress websites that don't even take 5-7 hours to make and still charge upwards of $1000. Most clients would probably shun away at the idea of spending $200+ hour. But a $1000 website may not seem that bad to them
  • Profile picture of the author zavhara
    zavhara
    Originally Posted by momakmak View Post
    I dont know how long you guys have been doing this for? I have experience building websites for about 5 years but I have started doing websites as a business about 6 months ago and I have a terrible time trying to get $500 from someone.

    My sites are not terrible either. I have seen a lot of crap sites and I am far from them. I use premium wordpress themes and custom logo designs. My sites are bling and get leads. I have done on page seo tweaks so well that I have immediately hit first page for clients without backlinking. So I think I know what I am doing.

    Lately it has been so rough that I have started charging as low as 300$.

    What the hell am I not doing that you guys are?
    Well I'm planning to outsource and not do them myself, however this link from Jason Kanigan could really help you with how you can sell your services. It really opened up my eyes to what my real worth could be.
  • Profile picture of the author peterbujok
    peterbujok
    Originally Posted by momakmak View Post
    I dont know how long you guys have been doing this for? I have experience building websites for about 5 years but I have started doing websites as a business about 6 months ago and I have a terrible time trying to get $500 from someone.

    My sites are not terrible either. I have seen a lot of crap sites and I am far from them. I use premium wordpress themes and custom logo designs. My sites are bling and get leads. I have done on page seo tweaks so well that I have immediately hit first page for clients without backlinking. So I think I know what I am doing.

    Lately it has been so rough that I have started charging as low as 300$.

    What the hell am I not doing that you guys are?
    It's all about the value you can portray. I'm sure you have a great portfolio, and make sure to present that. If potential clients notice that you're coming off desperate, they will be hesitant to do business with you.

    I'm not sure how you close your clients, but there must be a definite point in time that the client is committed. I take a check for $500 before I even begin working on the website. If you start doing the website before you get that check in your hand, the client will often become very shaky in the business relationship and just change their mind and you will have wasted your time.

    If you are only finding clients for $300, you simply aren't reaching out to touch enough people. You are probably working in your limited network. Expand your reach through some of the methods on this forum, including cold calling and walking in on businesses. Introduce yourself in your community and show some confidence that you can be the change they are looking for in their marketing efforts.
  • Profile picture of the author KaiserWalker
    KaiserWalker
    Originally Posted by momakmak View Post
    I dont know how long you guys have been doing this for? I have experience building websites for about 5 years but I have started doing websites as a business about 6 months ago and I have a terrible time trying to get $500 from someone.

    My sites are not terrible either. I have seen a lot of crap sites and I am far from them. I use premium wordpress themes and custom logo designs. My sites are bling and get leads. I have done on page seo tweaks so well that I have immediately hit first page for clients without backlinking. So I think I know what I am doing.

    Lately it has been so rough that I have started charging as low as 300$.

    What the hell am I not doing that you guys are?
    I face similar issue when first started out ... but not anymore ... basically a site for $800- 1400 is not an issue. To demand higher price don't present yourself as a designer but also a marketer. I'll always advise them how to make their site a tool to sell not only as a eye candy, like "add in header", "call to action " etc etc... they will see you in different light and willing to pay you a higer price. My name card also add in the title "marketing consultant"/ graphic designer. It puts you apart from the rest of graphic designers and much less effort in persude them to spend more money on you . Hop it helps
  • Profile picture of the author Preeti
    Preeti
    Before you throw out any numbers...ask them what their budget is for a website. I usually refrain from being the first to suggest a number since if the client is expecting to spend $2000 on a site and I say $900, that's me losing 1100 potential dollars in revenue.

    It's also how you position yourself and your value...like Kaiser mentioned, differentiate yourself from the competition by highlighting the benefits..not the features!

    Good luck!
  • Profile picture of the author Baadier Sydow
    Baadier Sydow
    Originally Posted by Preeti View Post
    Before you throw out any numbers...ask them what their budget is for a website. I usually refrain from being the first to suggest a number since if the client is expecting to spend $2000 on a site and I say $900, that's me losing 1100 potential dollars in revenue.

    It's also how you position yourself and your value...like Kaiser mentioned, differentiate yourself from the competition by highlighting the benefits..not the features!

    Good luck!
    I think is an important consideration that I dont take advantage of enough.

Related discussions