What Do I Need To Learn To Create A Facebook App?

Profile picture of the author BillyW by BillyW Posted: 02/17/2013
Hello Fellow Warriors,

I want to learn how to create a Facebook or iPhone/Android app. I am new to coding. I have limited knowledge of PHP (WordPress) but have extensive knowledge in HTML and CSS. I am curious as to what other languages I need to learn to create an app. I would assume PHP and javascript, but what other languages? And is there a resource/resources online to help with learning these codes or creating an app?

BillyW
#app #create #facebook #learn

  • Profile picture of the author Dan Grossman
    Dan Grossman
    It's quite different working with those 3 platforms. You'll have different languages (Java/Objective-C/HTML+JS), different APIs, different toolchains, etc. I recommend heading to your library or book store and flipping through a book about the platform you want to know more about.
  • Profile picture of the author Siegfried
    Siegfried
    Well, this is kind of tricky question - facebook OR iphone/android? what kind of app? is it gonna be game or maybe tool?

    first of all, facebook apps are usually written in flash (or they used to be written in flash). iPhone apps are written in objective-c while android are written in java.

    all three options are not very good for beginner. but there are other ways. if you want to build a game, you should take a look at Unity3D - using it you can publish for web, iphone and android (but it is not free).It uses C# which is pretty good language to learn first. If you want to write an app, check out Mono Develop - it is C# .NET platform for both iPhone and Android, also not free.
    good luck!
  • Profile picture of the author FirstSocialApps
    FirstSocialApps
    Objective C or Java, I dont think FB has a native SDK for either of these so you will have to choose a 3rd party SDK
  • Profile picture of the author BillyW
    BillyW
    Originally Posted by Siegfried View Post

    Well, this is kind of tricky question - facebook OR iphone/android? what kind of app? is it gonna be game or maybe tool?

    first of all, facebook apps are usually written in flash (or they used to be written in flash). iPhone apps are written in objective-c while android are written in java.

    all three options are not very good for beginner. but there are other ways. if you want to build a game, you should take a look at Unity3D - using it you can publish for web, iphone and android (but it is not free).It uses C# which is pretty good language to learn first. If you want to write an app, check out Mono Develop - it is C# .NET platform for both iPhone and Android, also not free.
    good luck!
    I want to start with a simple game for the iPhone. I've found through research Construct 2. Any thoughts or feedback on it? Seems as though it's just used for browser games, but I'm not sure.
  • Profile picture of the author Can Tonic
    Can Tonic
    You should not start with an iPhone app. you need to write iPhone apps in native C which might be hard for you to learn for the beginning.
    I would recommend you learning Ruby on Rails which is a web framework based on the easy coding language Ruby.
    Additionally to your html/css skills you should also have some JavaScript/jQuery skills.
    There are a lot of how tos about ruby on rails and about building facebook apps with ruby on rails.
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Grossman
    Dan Grossman
    Originally Posted by Can Tonic View Post

    You should not start with an iPhone app. you need to write iPhone apps in native C which might be hard for you to learn for the beginning.
    I would recommend you learning Ruby on Rails which is a web framework based on the easy coding language Ruby.
    Additionally to your html/css skills you should also have some JavaScript/jQuery skills.
    There are a lot of how tos about ruby on rails and about building facebook apps with ruby on rails.
    iPhone apps are not written in C.

    If he already knows some PHP, why should he switch to a framework for Ruby?
  • Profile picture of the author BillyW
    BillyW
    This is probably an idiotic question, but remember I'm a newbie to programming. Is Java and JavaScript the same thing?
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Grossman
    Dan Grossman
    No, they're not the same or even similar.
  • Profile picture of the author BillyW
    BillyW
    Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post

    No, they're not the same or even similar.
    Okay. So I need to learn Java, not JavaScript, in order to create apps?
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Grossman
    Dan Grossman
    Originally Posted by BillyW View Post

    Okay. So I need to learn Java, not JavaScript, in order to create apps?
    If you want to write native Android apps, you'd need to know Java. If you want to write native iOS apps, you'd need to know Objective-C.

    You have to pick a platform first, in other words.

Related discussions