Press Release SEO

by Daniel Lezcano 13 replies
I'm starting to investigate the art of Press Release for a few reasons.

1. To get the word out naturally of course, potentially driving some traffic to site.

2. It should be a good "FOLLOW" link, especially if I can get a spot on one of the local news sites.

However, even if I get a back-link on such a page (mind you DA is like 60 and PR right around the same though who knows what the PR might be on whatever page my release would be on) the link would probably have value for only a short time as the article would get buried deeper and deeper into the abyss of information.

IDK ... Can anyone shed some light on this topic - Press Releases and SEO potential???
#search engine optimization #press #release #seo
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author xnice
    Originally Posted by Daniel Lezcano View Post

    I'm starting to investigate the art of Press Release for a few reasons.

    1. To get the word out naturally of course, potentially driving some traffic to site.

    2. It should be a good "FOLLOW" link, especially if I can get a spot on one of the local news sites.

    However, even if I get a back-link on such a page (mind you DA is like 60 and PR right around the same though who knows what the PR might be on whatever page my release would be on) the link would probably have value for only a short time as the article would get buried deeper and deeper into the abyss of information.

    IDK ... Can anyone shed some light on this topic - Press Releases and SEO potential???
    You can try it. It did not work as 3 years before. But it still has some value, you should add it on your SEO campaign.
    Signature
    Need Quality Backlinks: Check Out How To Buy Quality Backlinks in 2017?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10963518].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author absolutelee
    Depends a lot on the Press Release service you use. Some a junk, others aren't. Of course the better ones are a lot more expensive. I've used a lot of press releases for seo for clients. I'd have to be making a lot of money per click to justify using this for an affiliate site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10963535].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Lezcano
      Originally Posted by absolutelee View Post

      Depends a lot on the Press Release service you use. Some a junk, others aren't. Of course the better ones are a lot more expensive. I've used a lot of press releases for seo for clients. I'd have to be making a lot of money per click to justify using this for an affiliate site.
      I'm trying it without using a PR firm. From what I understand it's perfectly doable if you are willing to put time in. Actually found a great site (DA 60) that will place me in their news feed. Excited about that. That will end up being my companies 1st real deal high quality back link - it's not easy to find high quality follow links as a new business so I'm excited about this one.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10963657].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
        Originally Posted by Daniel Lezcano View Post

        I'm trying it without using a PR firm. From what I understand it's perfectly doable if you are willing to put time in. Actually found a great site (DA 60) that will place me in their news feed. Excited about that. That will end up being my companies 1st real deal high quality back link - it's not easy to find high quality follow links as a new business so I'm excited about this one.
        DA doesn't really have anything to do with the value of a link. Your link is going to be on a brand new page that holds zero authority.

        Press releases can be great, mostly for reputation management and brand building.

        If you are not doing it through a reliable service like PRWeb that can get your release distributed to worthwhile publications, I wouldn't bother putting the effort into it.

        PRWeb will run you about $300 per release.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10963659].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Daniel Lezcano
          Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

          DA doesn't really have anything to do with the value of a link. Your link is going to be on a brand new page that holds zero authority.

          Press releases can be great, mostly for reputation management and brand building.

          If you are not doing it through a reliable service like PRWeb that can get your release distributed to worthwhile publications, I wouldn't bother putting the effort into it.

          PRWeb will run you about $300 per release.
          I hear you.

          However, there is no reason why you must use a PR firm. ZERO
          . I can do anything they can with time, and I have it - especially because learning this is very valuable to my service in general.

          Furthermore, DA is worth something when considering do follow back links - it might not be as big a deal as some people think but it is a factor worth going for .. Especially if the release is on a high quality industry related news feed. Meaning it has nothing to do with paid service or user submitted links. ??

          Also in this case, be it I have found one great destination so far for my press release, I will end up staying in their breaking news section (on home page DA and PA are very high and similar on this page) for maybe a month before starting to get buried in lower PA pages. So yes your point is accurate in general but in this situation I will benefit to some degree as it should get indexed quick enough to derive value b4 merging into the abyss???? ...

          Again, for me this is worth while because it's an important skill and experience that will serve me well in addition to all my services. And who knows what more I will learn in the process right?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10963704].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
            Originally Posted by Daniel Lezcano View Post

            I hear you.

            However, there is no reason why you must use a PR firm. ZERO
            . I can do anything they can with time, and I have it - especially because learning this is very valuable to my service in general.

            Furthermore, DA is worth something when considering do follow back links - it might not be as big a deal as some people think but it is a factor worth going for .. Especially if the release is on a high quality industry related news feed. Meaning it has nothing to do with paid service or user submitted links. ??

            Also in this case, be it I have found one great destination so far for my press release, I will end up staying in their breaking news section (on home page DA and PA are very high and similar on this page) for maybe a month before starting to get buried in lower PA pages. So yes your point is accurate in general but in this situation I will benefit to some degree as it should get indexed quick enough to derive value b4 merging into the abyss???? ...

            Again, for me this is worth while because it's an important skill and experience that will serve me well in addition to all my services. And who knows what more I will learn in the process right?

            I will just say two things.

            Press releases are best in wide distribution. That is why you want to use a PR service like PRWeb. They can get a press release into places that you will never get into. What you are talking about doing with cultivating a relationship and putting in so much legwork to get your content posted on a single site somewhere is more of what people refer to as guest posting or content marketing.

            A press release is for when you have something newsworthy to share. You want to get it into as many news aggregators as you can in a short amount of time and hope it takes on a life of its own from there.

            If you are going to be on a site where your press release is going to stay on the home page for a month, then they don't publish much and likely have little to no traffic.

            Second, even Rand said this year that people should not evaluate links based on DA. It is too inaccurate.

            Press releases are really not that effective for SEO for non-brand related keywords, and they should only be used when you have something newsworthy to share.

            They are best for branding and reputation management. You are not going to rank for anything competitive or for any length of time, with press releases.

            Good luck.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10963716].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Daniel Lezcano
              Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

              I will just say two things.

              Press releases are best in wide distribution. That is why you want to use a PR service like PRWeb. They can get a press release into places that you will never get into. What you are talking about doing with cultivating a relationship and putting in so much legwork to get your content posted on a single site somewhere is more of what people refer to as guest posting or content marketing.

              A press release is for when you have something newsworthy to share. You want to get it into as many news aggregators as you can in a short amount of time and hope it takes on a life of its own from there.

              If you are going to be on a site where your press release is going to stay on the home page for a month, then they don't publish much and likely have little to no traffic.

              Second, even Rand said this year that people should not evaluate links based on DA. It is too inaccurate.

              Press releases are really not that effective for SEO for non-brand related keywords, and they should only be used when you have something newsworthy to share.

              They are best for branding and reputation management. You are not going to rank for anything competitive or for any length of time, with press releases.

              Good luck.
              I really appreciate your mindful reply!

              Got a lot out of that.

              I will say that I do believe my Press Release will certainly be news worthy. Again I loved your feedback, but you forget how business-contingent all that we question here is - and that, of course you could not know because I've not mentioned it.

              Just lets say I believe it's about good qualities and character that just so happen to be very marketable as well - hence all the effort.

              I think also because I understand your reply, but I am taken by the challenges involved too ... so the simple experiencing of the process in question is a motive for me.

              Always learning.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10963722].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Beastmob
    I heard somewhere that it's best to have nofollow links in your press release to avoid Google penalty. I'm not sure about this, so if anyone can verify this that would be great.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10963702].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Lezcano
      Originally Posted by Beastmob View Post

      I heard somewhere that it's best to have nofollow links in your press release to avoid Google penalty. I'm not sure about this, so if anyone can verify this that would be great.
      I cant see Google penalizing your follow link in your press release - especially if the release is on a legit site that does not recieve payment for linking - in other words its just an industry related source that releases quality industry related news.

      But I'm not sure about any of it either so would like to see what others think about this too.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10963706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
    As Mike suggested, press releases can be valuable for branding and for immediate traffic. Any SEO value will be very short lived, so never do a press release solely for the temporary SEO benefit because the page it is on will soon disappear and be replaced by another without your link. That's why he suggests using a service like PR Web. It's not about SEO; it's about getting your newsworthy story out to as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time.
    Signature
    FREE ONLINE COURSE- Learn How to Dropship the Right Way!
    My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox News, the NY Times & Flippa
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10964546].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Lezcano
      Originally Posted by dave_hermansen View Post

      As Mike suggested, press releases can be valuable for branding and for immediate traffic. Any SEO value will be very short lived, so never do a press release solely for the temporary SEO benefit because the page it is on will soon disappear and be replaced by another without your link. That's why he suggests using a service like PR Web. It's not about SEO; it's about getting your newsworthy story out to as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time.
      Yea by now my excitement has died down as I have learned enough about it. But that's the experience that you can only get by trying ...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10964607].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author qepozaxo
    A good press release will give you a spike in traffic and you might even get a few quality backlinks out of it. It's a good thing and won't hurt, but the traffic won't flow forever.
    A press release in the news two purposes:
    Firstly, it creates awareness about the brand
    Secondly, it creates a quality backlink to the website, which will drive in traffic
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11072588].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
      Originally Posted by qepozaxo View Post

      Secondly, it creates a quality backlink to the website, which will drive in traffic
      Yes, but as I mentioned, above, that link is only up for a short period of time. In a couple of days, weeks (or in rare cases) months, your press release is removed. PR sites aren't going to keep your press release up forever. They have newer, more timely ones to put up. Using press releases solely for backlinks is a waste of time. Even if you get a rare followed link, it disappears.
      Signature
      FREE ONLINE COURSE- Learn How to Dropship the Right Way!
      My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox News, the NY Times & Flippa
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11073100].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics

  • 16 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    How Do Highly Successful People Stay Positive?

    Hi Gang, I just stumbled upon this great article and wanted to share! 6 Ways Highly Successful People Stay Positive So the question begs, how do YOU stay positive? What ... [read more]

  • 220 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    What is the main reason for the 95% failure rate in internet marketing?

    Here is my take on the matter: Look, a lot of people get into the internet marketing business only because of its huge money-making potential without having a love for ... [read more]

  • 19 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    Free software that can record more that 10 minutes ?

    spartan14 in Internet Marketing

    Hy all i am more a youtube guy and i plan to make a course for my subscribers with some video series and i need to record videos longer that ... [read more]

  • 53 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    How to get free content for my newly created blog?

    Hello Friends, Recently I have setup a blog. And just copied 50-60 articles from different sites. Now, I want to get quality content for my blog to increase organic traffic. ... [read more]

  • 2 {{ upvoteCount | shortNum }}

    WordPress Full width

    elsoar in Web Design

    Hello my best forum ever "warriorforum" I have example, and I want like him in my website, I think it's simply for the amazing designer here. See the image: https://prnt.sc/gna65q ... [read more]