Google is Flawed - You Can Influence Other Sites’ Rankings With Backlinks

by 551 replies
How do I know? Because I totally messed up 2 of my smaller money sites by creating backlinks to them recently.

I mean totally messed them up, last page of the serps in the supplemental index and not appearing in the search results when I search for the domain without the domain extension. All the hallmarks of a ‘last page of results’ AKA the ‘-950 Google penalty’.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, after all, you can’t hurt a site with backlinks right?

I didn’t just blast the sites with low quality backlinks, but I’m sure the way in which I created around 6k links caused such a drastic penalty.

Well, I could have kicked myself when the sites disappeared.

However I soon realised I've learnt a valuable lesson and possibly acquired something far more powerful than a small money site in #1 spot on Google.

I’ve since removed the backlinks and I’m currently waiting to see if the penalty expires and the sites bounce back. The penalty is an algorithmic penalty, a reply to a reinclusion request confirmed this.

In the wrong hands, this method of backlinking could create carnage for new sites in Google Serps.

Moral of the story? Don’t listen to those that say you can’t hurt a site with backlinks. Instead, be VERY careful with your backlinking.

Want proof? If you have site less than 6 months old, PM me your domain and main keyword and I'll give you the same backlinks.
#search engine optimization #backlinks #flawed #google #influence #rankings #sites’ #sites’
  • Profile picture of the author Doug Pretorius
    Amen brother. I picked one of the best performing pages on my site (it was in the top 10 but I can't remember where exactly) and decided to follow the backlinking advice on this forum to get it to #1. Instead it disappeared into total obscurity. It took 8 months for it to finally return to page 1, and that's in a very very low competition environment.
  • Profile picture of the author BarryOnline
    What kind of back links did you use & how did you manage to remove 6k?
  • Profile picture of the author cagliostro
    Not true. It just can't happen. Use your logic please.
    • Profile picture of the author dp40oz
      Originally Posted by cagliostro View Post

      Not true. It just can't happen. Use your logic please.
      Oh it absolutely can happen. Just a word of advice from a guy who has posted many threads with proof on the subject. You will be making the page more valuable in the end. You'll be able to knock a page out and into oblivion for awhile but heres the key… IT WILL ALWAYS COME BACK, and when it does those links will count. Ive shown this proof a ton of times on this forum.

      Google will penalize a page but all their penalties decay. How long does the penalty last? Depends usually between 30-60 days but sometimes can be up to 6-9 months. Just mark my words, you will be making this domain stronger in the long run.
  • Profile picture of the author neil_patmore
    Barry, the links where from other properties I own on the internet.

    Cagliostro, do you have a site less than 6 months old that I can send links to?
    • Profile picture of the author cagliostro
      Originally Posted by neil_patmore View Post


      Cagliostro, do you have a site less than 6 months old that I can send links to?
      No need for you to do that, because i have done it myself already. Apart from some up and down, didn't do anything huge.

      I have send all kind of Fiverr EDU, Pyramids etc etc.
    • Profile picture of the author Doug Pretorius
      [DELETED]
    • Profile picture of the author Doug Pretorius
      Originally Posted by neil_patmore View Post

      Barry, the links where from other properties I own on the internet.
      I think that's the main issue. I've never seen a link coming from someone else have this effect. It's all this artificial link building stuff we do to ourselves, I think google can tell the difference between 10k people creating 1 link to your site each vs. you creating 10k links to your site. At best google ignores them, at worst they punish you for trying to manipulate the algo.

      However, google doesn't mind at all if you create a good internal link structure. Internal links are some of the best you can get too.
  • Profile picture of the author Doug Pretorius
    [DELETED]
  • Profile picture of the author neil_patmore
    I think that's the main issue. I've never seen a link coming from someone else have this effect. It's all this artificial link building stuff we do to ourselves, I think google can tell the difference between 10k people creating 1 link to your site each vs. you creating 10k links to your site.
    You'd think so wouldn't you? But the inbound links came from sites hosted in a completely different Geo-location, on a different IP address and using a different CMS platform to the 2 money sites. All sites have Whois Guard and there is absolutely nothing linking the sites together.
    • Profile picture of the author unnatural
      Originally Posted by neil_patmore View Post

      You'd think so wouldn't you? But the inbound links came from sites hosted in a completely different Geo-location, on a different IP address and using a different CMS platform to the 2 money sites. All sites have Whois Guard and there is absolutely nothing linking the sites together.
      Whois Guard doesn't do any good for protecting against Google's eyes - they are a registered domain registrar.
  • Profile picture of the author neil_patmore
    Oh it absolutely can happen. Just a word of advice from a guy who has posted many threads with proof on the subject. You will be making the page more valuable in the end.
    Thanks dp40oz.
  • Profile picture of the author neil_patmore
    Wow Paul, I sense a stressed man behind your post.

    A tad harsh, not to mention pointless don't you think? Is your blood pressure and the risk of a stroke not important to you?

    Same offer to you my stressed little friend. Give me a site less than 6 months old and lets find out.

    Oh and just so you and I are clear, I've never once claimed that Google owed me or my 'piddly' little site anything. If you carefully read back over my initial post, maybe take a deep breath and relax before you do though, you'll see that this isn't a rant about how my life is now doomed because my 'piddly little site' has vanished.

    I have no interest in how many billions 'silly flawed Google' has made either.

    I do however, have a huge amount of interest in wether or not I can have a direct impact on competitors rankings for personal profit and gain.

    Just so we are clear.
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      Google does not give as many "penalties" as people dream up.
      Very seldom, if ever, anything resembling a penalty even comes
      up.

      But people use these fantasies as an excuse for any search results
      being changed. Google changes on split second basis. The results
      are dynamic. There is nobody watching and making sure your site
      falls. Even though many people think they are that important to
      the web. They're not.

      Cause and effect are so friggn' mixed up here...it's pathetic.

      It can't be because google discovered better sites at the moment.

      It can't be because other sites got updated.

      It can't be because dynamics in searching changed.

      It can't be because a tweak in an algorithm.

      It can't be anything else except google penalizing my site.

      Dream on. Google does not take a personal interest in YOUR site no
      matter how important you think you are.

      It just has to be that big, bad, flawed google *sniff* I just know I
      have the best site *whimper* and if they don't like it, I must be
      *wiping tear drop* getting penalized!

      Paul
  • Profile picture of the author 36burrows
    Look I know there are mixed opinions on this so I can only provide my own experience.

    I had also had a site ranked on page 1 getting over 600 visitors per day. I decided to try an "Xrumer" blast to try and solidify the ranking.

    Within 24 hours after the "Xrumer" blast, my site was gone. All my traffic was gone as well.

    It stayed this way for about 6 months before it finally returned.

    Call it "Google Dance" or whatever you want, but the fact is that the site vanished and therefore all revenue stopped for 6 months and the only cause is the xrumer blast.

    So anyone claiming that these backlink blasts don't affect your site, I'm sorry but you're wrong.
    • Profile picture of the author satrap
      Originally Posted by 36burrows View Post

      ...Call it "Google Dance" or whatever you want, but the fact is that the site vanished and therefore all revenue stopped for 6 months and the only cause is the xrumer blast...

      I am just trying to understand this, how would you determine that the only cause is the xrumer blast?

      I mean, the explanation could be as simple as a " coincidence", couldn't it?...

      Of course, I couldn't prove that either, but you see what I mean though!Since, I dont know how exactly Google works, I am not taking anyone's side here. But from a logical point of view, what you said is a bit puzzling to me. Although I can understand and see why, you would think that.
  • Profile picture of the author neil_patmore
    Unnatural, thank you. That is something I didn't know.
  • Profile picture of the author ryanjk13
    Wow! 6 months!

    I blasted my site with scrapebox and it disappeared for a couple of days.. Then came back stronger than ever!
  • Profile picture of the author mattlaclear
    The premise of the OP is utter nonsense. We have run over 5000 successful seo campaigns in the last 15 months and nothing we have seen supports the claims being made by OP.

    It is impossible to be penalized by Google from backlinking. Period.
    • Profile picture of the author dp40oz
      Originally Posted by mattlaclear View Post

      The premise of the OP is utter nonsense. We have run over 5000 successful seo campaigns in the last 15 months and nothing we have seen supports the claims being made by OP.

      It is impossible to be penalized by Google from backlinking. Period.
      Really, would you like me to show you proof?

      Did a Massive Senuke run in 1 day after no link building for weeks. I did this run on June 10th and July 10th.



      On June 28th I was testing an auto approve Scrapebox list.



      Article Marketing robot blast all in 1 day on June 13th after very little link building the last few months.



      This my friends is what they call the "Sandbox". These gentlemen don't have to believe it but it does exist and it is very real. Also notice the last example. I put this in just to show how once the penalty does "decay" you get the link power from those links that penalized you.

      The misconception is that there is a "link penalty", there is only an "unnatural link building penalty". You get penalized for building links unnatural and its like going to the penalty box in hockey. They keep you locked up for a little bit then let you loose, the type of links you build will never effect your site its how fast and when you build those links.
  • Profile picture of the author neil_patmore
    The premise of the OP is utter nonsense. We have run over 5000 successful seo campaigns in the last 15 months and nothing we have seen supports the claims being made by OP.
    The amount of campaigns you've executed is irrelevant. You no doubt have tried and tested methods that work.

    Same offer goes out to you and your comrades my friend. Give me a domain to target. One that's ranking #1 and less than 6 months old and lets find out.
  • Profile picture of the author mattlaclear
    Before talking **** about a topic you obviously know very little about you should at least learn how to resize your images so they fit the formatting of the thread.

    It will make your argument at least look intelligent.
    • Profile picture of the author PatrickP
      Originally Posted by mattlaclear View Post

      Before talking **** about a topic you obviously know very little about you should at least learn how to resize your images so they fit the formatting of the thread.

      It will make your argument at least look intelligent.

      100% true. If you don't know how to resize pics then you obviously do not know what you are talking about. harumpffffffffffff
    • Profile picture of the author trytolearnmore
      Originally Posted by mattlaclear View Post

      Before talking **** about a topic you obviously know very little about you should at least learn how to resize your images so they fit the formatting of the thread.

      It will make your argument at least look intelligent.

      Easy there Matt... there is no need for this language (even if he is wrong).

      King regards,
      Andrii
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by mattlaclear View Post

      Before talking **** about a topic you obviously know very little about you should at least learn how to resize your images so they fit the formatting of the thread.

      It will make your argument at least look intelligent.
      No offense, but didn't I see you asking people in another thread just a few days ago how to embed a video into a message? And I believe that people were all too quick to jump in and help you out.

      I don't think the size of the image or layout of the thread had anything to do with the argument.
  • Profile picture of the author neil_patmore
    Resizing my image will add to an argument about SEO?

    Thank you for your constructive addition to this thread.
  • Profile picture of the author commoditytrainer
    Google doesn't penalize many sites as so many claim, but one thing I would never ever do is get 6000 backlinks to a site in six months. I don't care how great it is, my buddy does the same and runs into some trouble with Google Serps.
  • Profile picture of the author PatrickP
    Originally Posted by mattlaclear View Post

    And the fact that I have grabbed 5000+ page one rankings in 15 months obviously proves I know very little on the topic.

    WHAT?

    I was agreeing with you ya guru you.

    We gotta get rid of the damn sh1t talkers Mark. Together we can clean up WF!
  • Profile picture of the author neil_patmore
    Here you go Boss Man. I hope this meets with your approval:



    If you click on it something really really clever happens :-)

    Do you want me to add a little unsharp mask to the image? Maybe a bit of Gaussian Blur or perhaps you'd like me to convert it to duotone to print on a two colour lithographic press?

    Anything else you'd like just ask :-)

    Do you have a domain for me yet?
    • Profile picture of the author mattlaclear
      Originally Posted by neil_patmore View Post

      Here you go Boss Man. I hope this meets with your approval:



      If you click on it something really really clever happens :-)

      Do you want me to add a little unsharp mask to the image? Maybe a bit of Gaussian Blur or perhaps you'd like me to convert it to duotone to print on a two colour lithographic press?

      Anything else you'd like just ask :-)

      Do you have a domain for me yet?
      Much better. See how easy it is to learn something new?
    • Profile picture of the author wolfmanjack
      Originally Posted by neil_patmore View Post

      Here you go Boss Man. I hope this meets with your approval:



      If you click on it something really really clever happens :-)

      Do you want me to add a little unsharp mask to the image? Maybe a bit of Gaussian Blur or perhaps you'd like me to convert it to duotone to print on a two colour lithographic press?

      Anything else you'd like just ask :-)

      Do you have a domain for me yet?
      I thought his original images were better. i did not have to click on them to see what they were about.
  • Profile picture of the author billaaa777
    Sorry to tell that your logic is wrong. If Google would penalize a site for blasting to many backlinks in a short period, there would be blasting wars taking place.

    All you would have to do is send a few Xrumer blast at your competitors to take them do. Google doesn't penalize sites for too many links too quickly for that reason.
    • Profile picture of the author dp40oz
      Originally Posted by billaaa777 View Post

      Sorry to tell that your logic is wrong. If Google would penalize a site for blasting to many backlinks in a short period, there would be blasting wars taking place.

      All you would have to do is send a few Xrumer blast at your competitors to take them do. Google doesn't penalize sites for too many links too quickly for that reason.
      For new sites with not much trust it does. Send me some of your competition for easy to medium keywords i'll let you know if there is some I can knock out for you. It does work, ive done it. Like I said though they usually come back stronger when the penalty decays. I originally learned that the hard way.
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    The only thing that you'll get is short term SERP bounce from crappy backlinks, so what's the big deal?

    50 hand built PR5+ backlinks will counter the silly link blast of profiles, & bring the page right back to page #1 in the SERPs.

    As far as the OP challenge, If a site is six months old or less & ranking #1 in the SERPs for their keyword, that tells me the keyword was easy to rank for to begin with. That also tells me that chances are very high they didn't have to do much work building the backlinks it took to rank #1 in the SERPs.

    So your going to bounce a site that already has weak backlinks?

    It's not a penalty!
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Grant
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      The only thing that you'll get is short term SERP bounce from crappy backlinks, so what's the big deal?

      50 hand built PR5+ backlinks will counter the silly link blast of profiles, & bring the page right back to page #1 in the SERPs.

      As far as the OP challenge, If a site is six months old or less & ranking #1 in the SERPs for their keyword, that tells me the keyword was easy to rank for to begin with. That also tells me that chances are very high they didn't have to do much work building the backlinks it took to rank #1 in the SERPs.

      So your going to bounce a site that already has weak backlinks?

      It's not a penalty!
      Coming in very late, but MMO took less than 6 months to hit #1, FWIW.

Next Topics on Trending Feed