How are people getting away with this?

Profile picture of the author lucille123 by
I am getting ready to launch a product in the weight loss niche. I noticed that a lot of Clickbank vendors are getting high search engine rankings by creating websites with tens of thousands of pages, each with a different key phrase in the url and meta description. However, each page contains the exact same sales letter.

I checked out the source code and it contains tons of keyword optimized text and outbound links that do NOT appear on the actual page.

Has anybody heard of this technique? I'm surprised Google hasn't caught onto this yet.

More importantly, how can I compete with them in an ethical way? I don't believe in gaming the search engines like this, but there is no way I can create 10,000+ pages of unique content anytime soon.
#seo #people

  • Profile picture of the author ecoverartist
    I checked out the source code and it contains tons of keyword optimized text and outbound links that do NOT appear on the actual page.
    Do you mean they're in the meta tags? Or the text appears in something like this <!-- text here --> ?
  • Profile picture of the author JensSteyaert
    If you have a quality product, i wouldn't mind about cheaters actually, too many people will promote yours so they will be blown away
  • Profile picture of the author lucille123
    Hi, yes, it's text that appears in something like this <!-- text here -->. Google indexed 31,300 pages, but except for the home page, every page contains the sales video for a CB product. The source code contains tons of text that isn't visible on the actual page.

    The top 3 sellers in the cellulite removal niche are all using this technique. I'm surprised that people are still using these black hat methods to game the system.
  • Profile picture of the author FakeItTilYouMakeIt
    1) Make sure your own site and links are squeaky clean

    2) Report the spam sites to Google

    3) Just know that as soon as the spam sites tank another site will rise to take their place. unfortunately google can't keep up with the spam and the weight loss niche is one of the spammiest. Try more specific keywords. Build an authority site with lots of killer content. Consider a pbn (keep it clean) for links. The more product reviews from reputable sources the better (medical would be best). It's going to to take some time and cash if you want to be really competitive IMO. If you have a legitimate and unique product this is the way to go.

    Now... if you are going to try and sell a product that you damn well know doesn't work, or a product that is already available from lots of other sources, or is already associated with spam then you would probably make more money crossing over to the dark side and joining the churn and burn team. JMO I'm sure not everyone will agree but I'm wearing my flame proof panties so I don't care
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Originally Posted by lucille123 View Post

    Hi, yes, it's text that appears in something like this <!-- text here -->.
    That's an HTML comment tag, I seriously doubt Google is using comment tags to help rank pages.
  • Profile picture of the author lucille123
    It doesn't make sense to me either, but there must be a reason they are doing this. These sites are ranking very well.

    Originally Posted by yukon View Post

    That's an HTML comment tag, I seriously doubt Google is using comment tags to help rank pages.
  • Profile picture of the author lucille123
    Thanks! I didn't realize that I can report spam sites to Google. Yes, my plan is to build a legitimate authority site with a strong community. I've done it before, but haven't had to deal with search engine spam before.

    Originally Posted by FakeItTilYouMakeIt View Post

    1) Make sure your own site and links are squeaky clean

    2) Report the spam sites to Google

    3) Just know that as soon as the spam sites tank another site will rise to take their place. unfortunately google can't keep up with the spam and the weight loss niche is one of the spammiest. Try more specific keywords. Build an authority site with lots of killer content. Consider a pbn (keep it clean) for links. The more product reviews from reputable sources the better (medical would be best). It's going to to take some time and cash if you want to be really competitive IMO. If you have a legitimate and unique product this is the way to go.

    Now... if you are going to try and sell a product that you damn well know doesn't work, or a product that is already available from lots of other sources, or is already associated with spam then you would probably make more money crossing over to the dark side and joining the churn and burn team. JMO I'm sure not everyone will agree but I'm wearing my flame proof panties so I don't care

Next Topics on Trending Feed