Only 1 out of 18 CB order form submits turned into a sale. Is this normal?

44 replies
Just wanted to see if any one else has since such a low ratio between click bank order form submits and sales?

I did an email promo for a product and had great click through rates and a ton of order form impressions. Could that many people have bad credit cards?

#clickbank #form #normal #order #order form submits #sale #submits #turned
  • Profile picture of the author JasonParker
    Pretty normal. So many chicken out on the order form.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3135158].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ben Armstrong
      If they're anything like me they're probably curious. I'll often go to the order part just to see exactly how much I'd be paying for the product and then make my decision.

Unfortunately you can't always trust the sales page.
      Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3135183].message }}
    Actually, I'm looking at some stats here...

1 in 18 seems a tad high compared to what I'm looking at.

1 in 9 is about average for what I'm seeing.

Funny... we split tested order forms the other day for a non-CB product and it can have a HUGE effect on overall conversion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3135177].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ryan Sorensen
    You mean after they click submit they close the browser before the order goes through or something?

Because I had 98 order form impressions and 18 submits...1 sale
    Signature
    Sell your web-based business for the best price in the shortest amount of time through an experience broker. Reasonable rates, no upfront fees, and no risk to list at AcquisitionStation.com.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3135188].message }}
    Think I see what you're saying now...

I'm looking at one for a promotion that says: Order Form Submit Count 131, Initial Sales Count 76.

So no.... I have no idea what's happening there. Sorry, can't help you there.

My guess is they clicked the submit button without filling out the form or filling it out correctly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3135237].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by The Exciting Life View Post

Just wanted to see if any one else has since such a low ratio between click bank order form submits and sales?
    Yes, very many have, just over the last 2/3/4 weeks.

This is the 10th or 11th thread started on this exact subject in that time.

It's grotesquely abnormal, of course. 1 sale from 18 submits is very difficult indeed to explain. There are also people who've had 20 - 30 order form submits without a single sale, though. Very recent problem.

It's very worthwhile finding those other threads and looking through them (not that easy, I know, but you could try searching this "folder" only for threads with the word "Clickbank" in the title over the last 4 weeks - that will include some of them, anyway, though unfortunately many people choose to title threads something like "Problem" or "New Difficulty" or whatever, which is useless), because there are some interesting observations and suggestions in them. And at least you'll know that you're by no means alone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3135268].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author terrapurus
    If your price is not explicitly clear they will forget browsing through your sales pitch and go to the sales form for the price. They then decide if they want to click back and read what you have to offer.

Process can go ... headline, subheadline,orderform,sales copy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3136279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    Sounds to me like it is perfectly normal. Forget Clickbank statistics. The only statistic that really means anything is the one that shows you how much money you have made. If you are keeping track of that figure and how much money you are spending on advertising then you can't go wrong.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3136311].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Wealthyclark
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

Sounds to me like it is perfectly normal. Forget Clickbank statistics. The only statistic that really means anything is the one that shows you how much money you have made. If you are keeping track of that figure and how much money you are spending on advertising then you can't go wrong.
      On one hand I agree with you, at the end of the day the roi is what counts.

Not to be rude, but on the other hand you sound like your trying to convince people that this is normal or ok for some reason, when it's neither normal or ok. That's why I rarely play the clickbank game, it's always something fishy going on with them.

It's very suspicious, IMHO
      Signature
      Now Accepting All Countries! Earn $5.10 Per Free Referral, Totally Free To Participate!
      WealthyClark.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3136386].message }}
        Originally Posted by Wealthyclark View Post

Not to be rude, but on the other hand you sound like your trying to convince people that this is normal or ok for some reason, when it's neither normal or ok.
        Not at all. I see posts like the original post every second day on this forum. It's become a well-known fact with Clickbank. If you use Clickbank you accept there may be weird variations like this. If you don't want those things then you move elsewhere. No point complaining over it because no amount of complaining will fix the problem.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3137034].message }}
        Originally Posted by Wealthyclark View Post

That's why I rarely play the clickbank game, it's always something fishy going on with them.

It's very suspicious, IMHO
        Probably has nothing to do with them.

Fact is... not all traffic is created equal.

Send 1,000 people from a buyers list to the page and 1,000 people from a safelist to the page and you're going to have a radically different result on the order form stats.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3137300].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeannie Crabtree
    That is the highest I have seen. I will get maybe 5 submits and one completed order on one of the health niches I promote.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3136342].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RichKent
    Sounds very on the high side. Might want to rethink your list building...

I average 2:1
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3136357].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Gunedat
      I have been seeing the same trend in my account as well. Never given much thought to it until you post it here. Now i am curious as well.
      Signature
      I Should Put A Sig Here
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3136376].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Faber
    I've had the exact same problem, and as Alexa indicated there were many threads addressing the issue. One of them is mine. In the last 7 days, I've had a 4.62% order form conversion rate. Of the the 65 people that pressed the buy button and were taken to the order form to enter their CC or PayPal info, only 5 of them completed the sale on the CB aff products I promote. I would think, based on previous experience, that it would be about 4 times that. Seems very strange to me too. Perhaps CB will address the problem by reducing the amount of analytics info we receive, so we'll have less to complain about.
    Signature
    For Killer Marketing Tips that Will Grow Your Business Follow Me on Twitter Now
    After all, you're probably following a few hundred people already that aren't doing squat for you.....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3136535].message }}
      Banned
      Originally Posted by JasonParker View Post

Send 1,000 people from a buyers list to the page and 1,000 people from a safelist to the page and you're going to have a radically different result on the order form stats.
      Completely true, of course, but it has no relevance to this specific problem, Jason. This isn't about people getting as far as the order-form and then not buying: it's about people submitting an order which isn't processed.

Originally Posted by WillR View Post

I see posts like the original post every second day on this forum.
      Not addressing this specific problem, you don't. You see threads nearly every day about different Clickbank problems. This specific problem is a very recent one, suddenly affecting a large number of people.

For many people, the ratio of order-form submissions to sales has suddenly jumped from about 2/1 to about 30/1 or even 30/0. This hasn't been discussed here, until 3 or 4 weeks ago. It's a strange, new problem.

Originally Posted by opportunitiesaplenty View Post

Perhaps CB will address the problem by reducing the amount of analytics info we receive, so we'll have less to complain about.
      I regret to say that, given their general attitude to and behaviour concerning what might be known anywhere else as "customer service", this may turn out to be right. :rolleyes:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3137395].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author russells
        I had the same yesterday. 19 order form impressions and not one of them converted.

Weird.
        Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3137408].message }}
          Banned
          Originally Posted by russells View Post

I had the same yesterday. 19 order form impressions and not one of them converted.

Weird.
          Weird, maybe, Russell - but that's a different, much more common, much more longstanding situation for which can there be many explanations. This sudden problem's about failure to process order-form submissions, not failure to get order-form submissions from order-form impressions.

I think you'd be the first to agree that you'd feel rather differently about it, if your conversion-rate for order-form submissions suddenly jumped from a steady 65% to 0%?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3137432].message }}
        [QUOTE=Alexa Smith;3137395]Completely true, of course, but it has no relevance to this specific problem, Jason. This isn't about people getting as far as the order-form and then not buying: it's about people submitting an order which isn't processed.

Still I think it has everything to do with the quality of the traffic source.

I seriously doubt ClickBank is out to get anybody. They make a sale every 3 seconds.

If you were sitting there promoting a product on Infusionsoft and you're set up to get a notification for every failed order, then you'd see there's a high % of failed orders with that too.

And the lower quality the traffic, the higher % of failed orders come through.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3137446].message }}
          Banned

Still I think it has everything to do with the quality of the traffic source.
          Then why had it been undiscussed here for a year, and then suddenly, out of the blue, 15 or 20 people have - each for the first time - exactly the same very unusual problem at exactly the same time? :confused: :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt ClickBank is out to get anybody.
          I agree with this. But it has nothing to do with the problem being discussed! (Nobody is suggesting that "Clickbank fraud" is the reason for it. At least, I'm not.)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3137478].message }}
            Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

Then why had it been undiscussed here for a year, and then suddenly, out of the blue, 15 or 20 people have - each for the first time - exactly the same very unusual problem at exactly the same time? :confused: :rolleyes:

I agree with this. But it has nothing to do with the problem being discussed! (Nobody is suggesting that "Clickbank fraud" is the reason for it. At least, I'm not.)
            Sorry... didn't meant to offend you, ma'am

I wish you the best of luck with your business.

But I stand by what I'm saying... Maybe those people coming out of the woodworks saying this are NOW tapping into poorer sources of traffic, or not getting any fresh lead flow, or not cultivating their lists.

Traffic truly is the lifeblood of your business. It's got to be from a high quality source and it has to keep flowing in.

Just because you get one result last year doesn't mean you'll get the same result now this year...

It all depends on targeted and fresh lead flow or sometimes the ability to cultivate a group of clients for longterm profits.

People can blame ClickBank or anything else all they want... but it's probably coming from ignorance because that's what you do when you don't take responsibility for your own actions in your business... you start to believe something like ClickBank must have some problems with their order form.

Bull. They've been around for over 10 years and have paid close to 2 billion dollars to clients. They probably want more than anything for their affiliates and vendors to move more units. I'm sure they've got their order forms working properly by now.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3138128].message }}
              Banned

People can blame ClickBank or anything else all they want... but it's probably coming from ignorance because that's what you do when you don't take responsibility for your own actions in your business... you start to believe something like ClickBank must have some problems with their order form.
              For millennia, mankind, throughout various widespread cultures, with his anthropocentric view of the world and the cosmos, believed that the sun went round the earth, which was at the centre of the solar system.

The reason they believed this was that "it looked as if the sun went round the earth".

The question nobody (before Galileo) ever asked themselves was "What would it have to look like for it to look as if the earth goes round the sun?"

So, I have only one question for you: what would it have to look like if Clickbank had a problem with their order form?!

I'm trying that question on you only because you've totally failed to respond to my earlier question: why had it been undiscussed here for a year, and then suddenly, out of the blue, 15 or 20 people have - each for the first time - exactly the same very unusual problem at exactly the same time?

I'm sure they've got their order forms working properly by now.
              You're "sure"?

Oh well, that settles it, then.

All these people encountering this weird order-form submission problem at the same time, for the first time, who have steadily had order-form submission-to-sales conversions of 65% or so, and suddenly get 30 order-form submits without a single sale must be:-

(i) making it up, or

(ii) collectively hallucinating, or

(iii) "evading responsibility for their own business"
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3143590].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author incognito19
                I am having the same issue ... my current (APRIL) month to date is 22 (submits) to 7 (sales). In my case, all the sales are from the US and the rest from around the world. Does anybody knows if CB has special rules for international sales? Do they require you to register differently? I can understand that people around the world will have more issues at the end of the sales process, like Paypal requirements, CC requirements or CC denied.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3782417].message }}
                  Banned
                  Originally Posted by incognito19 View Post

my current (APRIL) month to date is 22 (submits) to 7 (sales).
                  It's a little low, certainly, but it could be within normal variability, statistically, and it isn't necessarily, in itself, a sign that anything specific has "gone wrong".

In my case, all the sales are from the US and the rest from around the world. Does anybody knows if CB has special rules for international sales? Do they require you to register differently?
                  I believe that the overall incidence of non-US credit-card payments not being successfully processed by Clickbank is significantly higher. I'm not aware that they have any different "rules" for international sales. (My own credit-cards are all non-US-issued and I've never had a problem buying there, myself).

Sorry - not the most helpful of replies.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3783287].message }}
        Maybe the reason we have seen this happening over the last few weeks is because a lot of people's credit cards come up for expiry near the end of the year - and many people have been caught unawares. It's a long shot but what I'm getting at is there could be a really simple explanation for this...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3137892].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paleochora
    That's why I rarely play the clickbank game, it's always something fishy going on with them.
    I Agree with this sentiment!

I have come to the same conclusion and avoid whenever possible.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3137075].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jwhitebiz
    This is one reason I don't do much clickbank, they must be overly blocking fraud, and thus blocking real sales.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3137076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
    The good folks over at MarketingProfs have conducted tons of tests across a lot of platforms and have concluded that cart abandonment is generally proportionate to the inability to see product price.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3137720].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Chris Sorrell
      I've had it as 1:12 over the last 7 days which I'm not too happy about. I'm guessing there's an element of failed transactions and people clicking through to check the price and then going back to the sales page or just exiting all together. Either way it seems like a lot of waste.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3137794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesGw
    That's a bit high. I've had it happen once in a while, but not that often.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3783334].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author danej
      Really depends on how you are marketing it versus the lander/billing form also. The closer both "pitches" match, the higher your conversion will be.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3783417].message }}
        Banned
        Originally Posted by danej View Post

Really depends on how you are marketing it versus the lander/billing form also.
        It just doesn't.

That has nothing to do with what's being discussed in this thread, which relates to Clickbank's failure to (be able to) process the order after completion and submission of the order-form by the intending customer.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3783672].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author spectrefax
          Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

It just doesn't.

That has nothing to do with what's being discussed in this thread, which relates to Clickbank's failure to (be able to) process the order after completion and submission of the order-form by the intending customer.
          Poor Alexa, you're trying so hard!

It's really funny how many people in this thread aren't seeing the issue being discussed.

The problem being discussed in this thread has absolutely nothing to do with marketing, traffic sources, sales copy, etc.

I'll give it a try....

The problem being discussed here is when the customer has seen the sales price, decided they wanted to buy, completely fills out the entire order form with their credit card number and everything else and then clicks 'pay'.

Order form -> Receipt page

And between that form and the 'Thank you! Here is your receipt' page, sales are being lost AFTER clicking the 'pay' button (not before!) due to credit cards being declined or other problems. Thats what this thread is about.
          Signature
          *Reserved for cool stuff*
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3786554].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author omk
    1 out of 18? You should be jumping for joy, lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3786424].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bretski
      @omk... this is a thread from January and one complete sale from 18 order form impression is no cause to jump for joy. It means that there is something wrong with the payment processing. It means that customers tried to buy the product 18 times before one sale was made successfully or before the affiliate got credit for the sale.
      Signature
      ***Affordable Quality Content Written For You!***
      Experience Content Writer - PM Bretski!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3786532].message }}
        Originally Posted by bretski View Post

@omk... this is a thread from January and one complete sale from 18 order form impression is no cause to jump for joy. It means that there is something wrong with the payment processing. It means that customers tried to buy the product 18 times before one sale was made successfully or before the affiliate got credit for the sale.
        This x1000.

These numbers are very bad for clickbank or any business attempting to process payments.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3786565].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SuspectZero
    Originally Posted by RichKent View Post

Sounds very on the high side. Might want to rethink your list building...

I average 2:1

I've been trying out a clickbank product as part of my email list building and it has been converting at about 20:1 for a couple of months now. I thought this wasn't too bad especialy as it was just an add on to the initial subscription page. But now you have got me thinking I need to try a few different products if you are converting at 2:1 seems i'm leaving money on the table!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3786621].message }}
    I also wanted to add that any of you who are thinking 'Clickbank fraud' should probably dismiss those ideas from your mind because if affiliates are seeing high submit to sales numbers you better believe that clickbank sees these numbers as well.

Believe me, if clickbank is seeing a rise in 'submits to sales', its pretty safe to assume they are looking at their processors and trying to figure out what the deal is because if customers are being declined at an increased rate, it is keeping them from money that otherwise would be in their pocket.

Looking at this from a single affiliate account, possible reasons I could see for numbers like this are:

- Credit card/Billing information entered incorrectly and the user attempts the same information a few times or tries after entering different information or credit cards.

- Credit cards being out right declined due to insufficient funds or whatever so the customer tries multiple cards.

- Processing stalls. I believe this is probably the most likely culprit. A customer clicks 'submit' and the page simply stalls and the user attempts to force or refresh the transaction by clicking 'submit' multiple times. This is why you always see sites that say 'only click submit once'.

- Submit page form programming errors. Such as the user clicks 'submit' and the page simply refreshes itself erasing all information entered into the form with no explanations. The customer is just returned to a blank order form or similar problems. I've had this happen to me on purchases from time to time.

An example would be when trying to register for a GoDaddy account, I kept trying to enter my information and kept receiving the same error in which the form was telling me I was required to fill out a required field but that field was not even in the order form at all. This turned out to be a browser error as I tried the same form on a different browser it went through fine, but not before I attempted to submit my info several times with the non working browser.

More often than not, I imagine spikes in these numbers are going to be user error/programming related errors rather than out right declined credit cards with the majority probably being user error because, lets face it, most people are pretty dumb and its easy to imagine a person attempting to submit the same incorrect credit card number 5 or 6 times before realizing they have a 3 instead of an 8 somewhere.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3786693].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    there are so many things that come into play, dont think of it like this.

Yes some people get to the order form have their credit card out but then say ...nup!

Oh well....its just a numbers game, give them solid proof, and make sure you create desire and then they cant say no! Just sayin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3787083].message }}
      Banned
      Originally Posted by celente View Post

Yes some people get to the order form have their credit card out but then say ...nup!
      Quite true, of course - but those are not order-form submissions.

They're order-form impressions - that's a different statistic.

Just saying ...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3789258].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author incognito19
    Thanks Alexa and Spectrefax for trying to explain the problem. In my case I don't think is CB trying to commit fraud against me, I think the issue is related to bad forms due to bad programming, maybe exagerated because of translation or the addition\removal of fields for international customers, not authorized credit cards and other similar issues. My resolution is to keep analyzing the data, experience the process myself maybe with the help of proxies, find a workaround with the product's owner and more importantly, find a way to catch the customers who were not able to complete the purchase and bring them back to the process of purchasing the product. Thanks again to everyone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3789004].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve Faber

Thanks Alexa and Spectrefax for trying to explain the problem. In my case I don't think is CB trying to commit fraud against me, I think the issue is related to bad forms due to bad programming, maybe exagerated because of translation or the additionremoval of fields for international customers, not authorized credit cards and other similar issues. My resolution is to keep analyzing the data, experience the process myself maybe with the help of proxies, find a workaround with the product's owner and more importantly, find a way to catch the customers who were not able to complete the purchase and bring them back to the process of purchasing the product. Thanks again to everyone.
      You'd think that CB would have the resource to hire competent programmers and testers, wouldn't you?
      Signature
      For Killer Marketing Tips that Will Grow Your Business Follow Me on Twitter Now
      After all, you're probably following a few hundred people already that aren't doing squat for you.....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3789377].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    I will admit, Ive skimmed over this thread.....BUT

Ive seen instances within IE that cause issues with Clickbanks order form, preventing it from submitting. I tested it within FF and it was fine.

It wasnt until I cleared IE's cache, history, closed and restarted the browser that it worked.

Not sure if its related ...*shrug

BTW - I noticed you got vendors names there in your screenshot. Is that against CB's TOS?
    Signature

BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3789392].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      You need to put yourself in the mind of the prospect.

You read a sales page. It sounds good. You get all pumped up. You decide
      to order and then, when you see that price staring you right in the face and
      realize that as soon as you click that final "pay now" you've spent your money,
      you start to think to yourself...

"Do I REALLY need this?"

"Man, things are a little tight right now. The auto payment is due in a week.
      My job hasn't given me a raise in two years because of the economy. My
      wife just got laid off..."

And so on.

I myself have backed out of order forms and I've got money to burn these
      days. But when I ask myself that one question..."Do I REALLY need this?"
      I many times find out that the answer is no, I don't.

In fact, of late, the only things I have bought without even thinking are my
      Magic The Gathering Cards and my meds. The one because I love the game
      and love getting new cards (entertainment) and the other because I need
      them.

Stuff in the middle...it's hit and miss. Depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes
      I simply don't buy, even after hitting that first pay now button, because when
      all is said and done, I don't really need it and it's not something that's going
      to either make me very happy or make a big difference in my life.

Yesterday I spent $187.50 on a box of Magic The Gathering 2010.

Why?

For one thing, those cards are hard to come by these days (thus the
      inflated retail price from $110 to $175 plus tax) and there were a number
      of cards in the set I was hoping to get. Plus, it's just fun as hell to open
      up a new box of cards.

I don't know what you're selling but I'll tell you this, people will sooner
      spend $200 on a new IPad (or whatever they're going for) than spend
      $27 on some book to cure their acne.

The latter just doesn't provide the same satisfaction as the former.

Which is why I strongly recommend marketers to get into the entertainment
      niches because when all is said and done, people want to be happy and
      those niches provide the most happiness.

Curing your acne, warts, or even getting out of debt are a distant second
      and when push comes to shove, they're going to need a very compelling
      reason to click that final button that actually takes the money out of
      their credit card or PayPal account or wherever.

My 2 cents on the subject.

** EDIT ** Just realized that you're talking about a different problem.

Never mind
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3789474].message }}

Trending Topics