Please give a newbie feedback on an integrated campaign?

5 replies
This is my first post to the forum, so hello everyone! I'm a copywriter who is working on building a portfolio incorporating some social media and integrated marketing campaigns. That said, this campaign is spec work, it hasn't been shown to a client and is a work in progress.

I would greatly appreciate constructive feedback on the overall campaign, keep in mind I am still new to social media marketing strategies.

About the client/brand:
A local Tex-Mex chain with a fun brand tone who markets to a demographic that is primarily 20-30 somethings. However, this chain has also been a local staple in Tex-Mex and Austin,Texas culture for 40 years and has been known by many established locals as a go-to for Tex Mex.

The Marketing Strategy
The tagline is "Austin's Tex Mex Obsession." So the concept is to use a campaign where we push the running gag that people are so into this Tex-Mex food, they are obsessed, and we have a hashtag for them to use titled #trudysanonymous. The incentives are that if they post something using this hashtag they will get special offers on meals, gift cards, and the funniest posts will be regularly cycled through large TV screens in all of their restaurants, which will of course give credit to the respective poster. We will use various mediums to draw attention to their brand hashtag, not only their social media account, but radio/pandora audio commercials, a print campaign and the like. See below for samples.

Listen to a Rough Cut of the Pandora/Radio Spot I Wrote and Produced Here
I am not a professional voice talent or sound mixer. And yes, radio spots are generally a little hokier compared to many other forms of advertising.

Print Campaign:

Body Copy:
Tex-Mex obsessed? Join the club. Post something funny or outrageous about your love for Trudy's using the hashtag #trudysanonymous and get exclusive freebies (and fame)
Print ad 1

Print ad 2

This is how the campaign is designed to work on Twitter.

And lastly:
Here is how the campaign would run in the restaurants.

If you actually read all this, you are a saint!
#campaign #critiques #feedback #give #hashtagging #integrated #integrated campaign #newbie
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    Originally Posted by Luckword View Post

About the client/brand:
    A local Tex-Mex chain with a fun brand tone who markets to a demographic that is primarily 20-30 somethings. However, this chain has also been a local staple in Tex-Mex and Austin,Texas culture for 40 years and has been known by many established locals as a go-to for Tex Mex.
    There isn't enough here.. how many locations? food truck? winner of Austin's best Margarita how many times? 4 star roof top? To say you are targeting 20 to 30 something is bit light sided.. you would be targeting 20 to 30 something sure.. but within that demographic you are targeting the professional lunch crowd.. the upper financial side as well as the lower end just want to hang out with friends

The Marketing Strategy
    The tagline is "Austin's Tex Mex Obsession." So the concept is to use a campaign where we push the running gag that people are so into this Tex-Mex food, they are obsessed, and we have a hashtag for them to use titled #trudysanonymous. The incentives are that if they post something using this hashtag they will get special offers on meals, gift cards, and the funniest posts will be regularly cycled through large TV screens in all of their restaurants, which will of course give credit to the respective poster. We will use various mediums to draw attention to their brand hashtag, not only their social media account, but radio/pandora audio commercials, a print campaign and the like. See below for samples.
    I like the hashtag... but is it really fitting with your clients theme.. and its target audience? #trudysanonimo perhaps?

I am not a professional voice talent or sound mixer. And yes, radio spots are generally a little hokier compared to many other forms of advertising.
    to blah.. think Yosemite Sam all jacked up on Green Chiles. If you are gong with the "Anonymous" thing.. Hi my name is bob - subdued crowd hi bob - I am totally tex mex obsessed the ad should build and build... Bob and the rest of the meeting should be in a full blow salsa party by the end

No mention of the Margaritas.. no mention of the food truck... no mention of the upscale fine dining.. the catering Yosemite Bob should be going ape wall of all the ways he can experience Trudy's

Print Campaign:

Body Copy:
    Tex-Mex obsessed? Join the club. Post something funny or outrageous about your love for Trudy's using the hashtag #trudysanonymous and get exclusive freebies (and fame)
    View Print Ad 1 Here
    View Print Ad 2 Here
    print media fail #1 the social icons in the lower right ( print #2 )... that's great - try clicking on one LOL you need to incorporate the actual acct name in there. Print #1 isn't working. But in #2 the center text "Extra Napkins..." and this correlates to #trudysanonimo how? your USP.. your message.. the whole focus of the campaign is squeezed into the far left of the piece.

Tex-Mex obsessed?
    Join the club
    GET FREE STUFF
    AND FAME
    Post something funny
    or outrageous about your
    ADDICTION
    using #trudysanonimo
    Signature
    Success is an ACT not an idea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11019241].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Luckword
      Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

There isn't enough here.. how many locations? food truck? winner of Austin's best Margarita how many times? 4 star roof top? To say you are targeting 20 to 30 something is bit light sided.. you would be targeting 20 to 30 something sure.. but within that demographic you are targeting the professional lunch crowd.. the upper financial side as well as the lower end just want to hang out with friends

I like the hashtag... but is it really fitting with your clients theme.. and its target audience? #trudysanonimo perhaps?

to blah.. think Yosemite Sam all jacked up on Green Chiles. If you are gong with the "Anonymous" thing.. Hi my name is bob - subdued crowd hi bob - I am totally tex mex obsessed the ad should build and build... Bob and the rest of the meeting should be in a full blow salsa party by the end

No mention of the Margaritas.. no mention of the food truck... no mention of the upscale fine dining.. the catering Yosemite Bob should be going ape wall of all the ways he can experience Trudy's

print media fail #1 the social icons in the lower right ( print #2 )... that's great - try clicking on one LOL you need to incorporate the actual acct name in there. Print #1 isn't working. But in #2 the center text "Extra Napkins..." and this correlates to #trudysanonimo how? your USP.. your message.. the whole focus of the campaign is squeezed into the far left of the piece.

Tex-Mex obsessed?
      Join the club
      GET FREE STUFF
      AND FAME
      Post something funny
      or outrageous about your
      ADDICTION
      using #trudysanonimo

Hey Savidge, I appreciate the feedback and for taking the time to look over this campaign.

There are many points you made, but I'll start by addressing the fact that I didn't go into all the detail of the client and all its benefits, because 1: I wanted to keep the brief to the point. 2: Trying to infuse too many USPs into a single campaign, results in cluttered messages and a jumbled ad. Especially with radio spots, it's better to write a spot that contains a clear and simple idea. I did consider going the route of having a man introduce himself to a room of people (ie; an AA meeting), however this would put too much of a negative spin on the client in my opinion, and it wouldn't be in line with the brand tone, which is fun, casual and laid back.

The target market IS in fact more young people than it is the upscale professional crowd. Sure, professionals do still dine at Trudy's but when they do it's to enjoy a very casual and fun environment. Food trucks and margaritas? Selling points sure, but THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT message? No. not enough to base a whole campaign on. And there are hundreds of food trucks in Austin. Your neighbor probably has a food truck. Not enough of a selling point in this city.

And like I said, if a radio ad tried to just list out a bunch of benefits, it sounds amateurish and bores the audience. Nobody wants to listen to a spot that just calls out sales offers. A radio ad needs to engage the listener, and keep their focus and entertain them, and drive home one, simple, clear benefit/message.

#trudysanonimo?
      Hmm, maybe. I'll ask around and see what other ppl think.

The print campaign features the social media integration on the side, as a secondary message, because the print ads would be reaching a wider crowd. Older audience members will be seeing the magazine ads, and a social media campaign may be relevant to them, but not as much as a single, memorable line that sells Trudy's food. That's why the focus is on the headline. If the focus were all about the social media campaign in the print ads, where we just list out the twitter hashtag, would that be as engaging? It's my belief that in advertising, it's important to hook someone first, with something entertaining, THEN reveal the information/sell. The headline is meant to lead up to the concept of a Tex Mex obsession. However, it if feels like there is a disconnect, maybe it needs rework. I fixed the links on both print ads, btw.

Again, thanks for your time, and I do value others opinions. I will take some of the things you said into consideration and I'm showing this campaign to a small focus group. I will ask them about some of the points you made.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11019718].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Best Seller

This is my first post to the forum, so hello everyone! I'm a copywriter who is working on building a portfolio incorporating some social media and integrated marketing campaigns. That said, this campaign is spec work, it hasn't been shown to a client and is a work in progress.

I would greatly appreciate constructive feedback on the overall campaign, keep in mind I am still new to social media marketing strategies.

About the client/brand:

The Marketing Strategy

Print Campaign:

Body Copy:
    View Print Ad 1 Here
    View Print Ad 2 Here

This is how the campaign is designed to work on Twitter.

And lastly:
    Here is how the campaign would run in the restaurants.

If you actually read all this, you are a saint!
    Well, I guess I'm a saint because I read it all, listened to your radio ad (loved it!), and looked at all your ads (other than Print Ad 1 ... I couldn't pull that one up for some reason). I think it's awesome. I chuckled all the way through the radio ad and I think your tweets are equally funny, memorable, attention-getting. Great print ad, too!
    Signature
    Book Publishing Shortcuts for Online Marketers: the EXACT strategies today's top independent authors are using to sell thousands of books online every year.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11019286].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
    They all look like you are trying to win an advertising award
    given out by the ad agency industry.

Not actually selling food.

Best,
    Ewen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11019982].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

They all look like you are trying to win an advertising award
      given out by the ad agency industry.

Not actually selling food.
      A bit strong perhaps... but yeah!

There are many points you made, but I'll start by addressing the fact that I didn't go into all the detail of the client and all its benefits, because 1: I wanted to keep the brief to the point.
      Ill take that.. get it..

2: Trying to infuse too many USPs into a single campaign, results in cluttered messages and a jumbled ad. Especially with radio spots, it's better to write a spot that contains a clear and simple idea. I did consider going the route of having a man introduce himself to a room of people (ie; an AA meeting), however this would put too much of a negative spin on the client in my opinion, and it wouldn't be in line with the brand tone, which is fun, casual and laid back.
      Keep in mind when I say this.. I have done a good amount of work with the bar industry over the years.... When your business is a BAR/ Restaurant.. I'm sorry but getting the guy from AA to create such a ruckus and the meeting goes to your place of business.. its ehh part funny and its in part YOUR job as it were

The target market IS in fact more young people than it is the upscale professional crowd. Sure, professionals do still dine at Trudy's but when they do it's to enjoy a very casual and fun environment. Food trucks and margaritas? Selling points sure, but THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT message? No. not enough to base a whole campaign on. And there are hundreds of food trucks in Austin. Your neighbor probably has a food truck. Not enough of a selling point in this city.
      What was it 5 locations plus the truck? So six locations in total... your potential client is everywhere.. THAT is a USP Maybe you should consult the potential client about where the greatest need for new drawn business to be.. and where the most potential profit is.. Ill bet they say Breakfast.. that wasnt mentioned either...

And like I said, if a radio ad tried to just list out a bunch of benefits, it sounds amateurish and bores the audience. Nobody wants to listen to a spot that just calls out sales offers. A radio ad needs to engage the listener, and keep their focus and entertain them, and drive home one, simple, clear benefit/message.
      be it the radio spot or the printed ad.. you are branding.. more specifically you are branding the name and nothing else. YOUR market has almost 9000 hotel rooms in downtown alone.. you have 35,000 city wide. May I mention the 78% fill rate on average? how about the fact you have 24 million visitors per year. Those 24 million spend $7 BILLION annually.. and you want to brand a name?

You are targeting LOCAL.. and the CASH as in $371 PER DAY per person being spent by those 24 million visitors ( this includes the hotel expense ) You are missing the mark - and missing it in a big way.

The print campaign features the social media integration on the side, as a secondary message, because the print ads would be reaching a wider crowd. Older audience members will be seeing the magazine ads, and a social media campaign may be relevant to them, but not as much as a single, memorable line that sells Trudy's food. That's why the focus is on the headline. If the focus were all about the social media campaign in the print ads, where we just list out the twitter hashtag, would that be as engaging?
      There is a fine line between engaging, and getting them to engage. you yourself are saying hey I want to target 20 somethings... So we are talking the low side of millennials... engagement is where you will win or loose.. and by engagement.. I mean social.

It's my belief that in advertising, it's important to hook someone first, with something entertaining, THEN reveal the information/sell. The headline is meant to lead up to the concept of a Tex Mex obsession. However, it if feels like there is a disconnect, maybe it needs rework. I fixed the links on both print ads, btw.
      You keep talking about your USP and your message. You are talking about Tex Mex Obsessed correct? but in your print ad ( #2 ).. the main text is something about napkins? and ( #1 ) its savory Spicy. Yes, there is a disconnect.

A great example.. Taco Bell "El toro Taco Bell" and the little dog.. cute rememberable ad right? Actually some of the best branding ever created... but guess what? with all of that.. business DROPPED. Some of the worst return for the dollar ever in the history of advertising.. GREAT ads, poor return.
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11021241].message }}

Trending Topics